• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:01
CEST 17:01
KST 00:01
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror1[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup6StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
SC4ALL II: Brood War Player Announcement 4/4 [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9458 users

[Q] I'm thinking of going to Korea, but...

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
1 2 3 Next All
HeartOfTofu
Profile Joined December 2009
United States308 Posts
January 16 2010 20:56 GMT
#1
So this is basically a question for people that might be familiar with Korea. I'm a 25 year old American citizen who's never been to Korea, but is considering it. The problem is that when I brought this up with my parents, they warned me that I shouldn't go until after I'm 35. Apparently even though I was born and raised here in the USA, because both my parents are Korean and my name is registered in registered in our family genealogy back in Korea, I could be detained upon my arrival and drafted into Korean military service. At first I thought this was absolutely ludicrous, but it seems that there have been some instances of this although I'm not entirely aware of what the exact conditions were in those incidents. My parents said the only way to avoid this would have been for them to go through some sort of procedure to remove my name before I was 18, but they didn't know and it's too late now...

Has anyone heard of anything like this and more importantly, under what conditions could this happen and how would you get around it? I really would like to visit Korea at least once and most certainly before I am 35... And quite obviously, the idea of being drafted into the Korean military doesn't really appeal to me.
I like to asphixiate myself while covered in liquid latex... Do you?
ghostWriter
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States3302 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-02-15 21:31:52
January 16 2010 21:05 GMT
#2
It's happened before.
Sullifam
BuGzlToOnl
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
United States5918 Posts
January 16 2010 21:13 GMT
#3
On January 17 2010 06:05 ghostWriter wrote:
It's happened before.


Such and informative and useful post. =\
If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans.
old times sake
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
165 Posts
January 16 2010 21:16 GMT
#4
Have you thought about going there so you can be drafted? Military service can be a good thing.
Lol it's so funny watching the level of posting deteriorate so rapidly when supporters of this decision are confronted with such nefarious things as REASONS. --fanatacist
Fontong
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States6454 Posts
January 16 2010 21:18 GMT
#5
On January 17 2010 06:13 BuGzlToOnl wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 17 2010 06:05 ghostWriter wrote:
It's happened before.


Such and informative and useful post. =\

It's ghostwriter. Normally you would expect him to insult too, so it's really an improvement.
[SECRET FONT] "Dragoon bunker"
Amnesia
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States3818 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-01-16 21:22:45
January 16 2010 21:21 GMT
#6
On January 17 2010 06:18 Fontong wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 17 2010 06:13 BuGzlToOnl wrote:
On January 17 2010 06:05 ghostWriter wrote:
It's happened before.


Such and informative and useful post. =\

It's ghostwriter. Normally you would expect him to insult too, so it's really an improvement.


What? Stuff like this has happened before in these forums and also Ghostwriter has helped this forum with translations and such..he's not that bad of a poster o.O
HeartOfTofu
Profile Joined December 2009
United States308 Posts
January 16 2010 21:22 GMT
#7
On January 17 2010 06:16 old times sake wrote:
Have you thought about going there so you can be drafted? Military service can be a good thing.


No, I'd rather not have my life put on hold for a few years to serve in the military of a country I've never even been to... especially if I would hardly be able to communicate in the language.

And yes, I've heard that it has happened, but I've not heard too many details as to the exact circumstances under which this has happened. There's no way they can be drafting every US citizen of Korean descent that just happens to visit that country so there must be something else to it...
I like to asphixiate myself while covered in liquid latex... Do you?
Sulli
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
Canada236 Posts
January 16 2010 21:30 GMT
#8
Are you just visiting Korea for a short time or do you plan to work there? If both your parents are Korean you would've been granted dual citizenship upon birth. If such is the case, as far as I know, you would've had to forfeit your Korean citizenship before you were 18 years old to be cleared of military service.
Dr.Lettuce
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United Kingdom663 Posts
January 16 2010 21:30 GMT
#9
Ghostwriter is an established tool.

To the OP, I'd suggest contacting some sort of Korean embassy and talking to them as I'm sure they will provide you with 100% truthful and reliable information. I'm sure the risk of it happening is quite small given your situation, but then again if it has happened in the past, history has a tendency to repeat itself and you would really not want to be one of the few exemplary cases. I'd do everything in your power to research it. Try PMing some of the korean nationals on this board as well.
HeartOfTofu
Profile Joined December 2009
United States308 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-01-16 21:35:00
January 16 2010 21:33 GMT
#10
On January 17 2010 06:30 Sulli wrote:
Are you just visiting Korea for a short time or do you plan to work there? If both your parents are Korean you would've been granted dual citizenship upon birth. If such is the case, as far as I know, you would've had to forfeit your Korean citizenship before you were 18 years old to be cleared of military service.


Well, the plan would have been to go there just for a month or two for a vacation, really.
I like to asphixiate myself while covered in liquid latex... Do you?
Kennigit *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada19447 Posts
January 16 2010 21:34 GMT
#11
GhostWriter is gone now
BuGzlToOnl
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
United States5918 Posts
January 16 2010 21:36 GMT
#12
On January 17 2010 06:34 Kennigit wrote:
GhostWriter is gone now


If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans.
Sulli
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
Canada236 Posts
January 16 2010 21:40 GMT
#13
Well, if you're not sure if you still have your Korean citizenship, I would definitely contact the appropriate authorities and make sure you won't be forced into the military.

For instance, I was born in Montreal with dual Canadian/Korean citizenship but I made sure I forfeited my Korean citizenship before I was 18. I then visited Korea back when I was 18 or 19 for a month and had zero problems. I used my Canadian passport to enter Korea as a foreigner and used it when I returned.

It looks like you're in that exact grey area where you can face problems during customs.
omfghi2u2
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States831 Posts
January 16 2010 21:54 GMT
#14
I had a friend that moved to america from Korea when he was younger. He had to obtain his american citizenship, then forfeit his korean one so that when he went to Korea, he wouldn't get drafted.

So like what everyone else has said, contact the korean embassy and forfeit your korean citizenship.
Sulli
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
Canada236 Posts
January 16 2010 21:58 GMT
#15
I found a nice link.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1018.html

Ctrl+F down to Dual Nationality (second search)

It appears that for the U.S. you would've automatically lost your Korean citizenship upon birth. However, you have to check whether your name was registered in the Korean Family Relations Certificate.
ghostfighter
Profile Joined February 2010
2 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-02-01 22:39:20
February 01 2010 22:36 GMT
#16
I deserved a ban, but not for that post.

I didn't answer his second question but when I said "it's happened before", I was referring to the
OP in that I was answering his question as to whether or not Koreans with U.S. citizenship have been taken into the army or not. I was corroborating what I heard with what he heard. I didn't elaborate, so obviously what I said could have been taken to mean something completely different. I'm not sure what you guys were going for, but I can see why you would think so. In any case BuGzlToOnl, your posts was just as uninformative as you thought mine were.
koreasilver
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
9109 Posts
February 01 2010 22:46 GMT
#17
On January 17 2010 06:18 Fontong wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 17 2010 06:13 BuGzlToOnl wrote:
On January 17 2010 06:05 ghostWriter wrote:
It's happened before.


Such and informative and useful post. =\

It's ghostwriter. Normally you would expect him to insult too, so it's really an improvement.

Too bad he went backwards from that improvement in this very thread even after getting banned.
vRoOk
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States1024 Posts
February 01 2010 22:48 GMT
#18
On January 17 2010 06:05 ghostWriter wrote:
It's happened before.
USER BANNED FOR THIS CRAP POST


ahahahaha

what a rape hohoho
Breaking Bad
Amnesia
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States3818 Posts
February 01 2010 22:54 GMT
#19
On February 02 2010 07:48 vRoOk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 17 2010 06:05 ghostWriter wrote:
It's happened before.
USER BANNED FOR THIS CRAP POST


ahahahaha

what a rape hohoho


Your posting ain't that great either bud.
@OP I heard stories about that, where when people go to Korea, the military is like waiting at the airport or something and take you to the army. That's some scary shit. But if you're an American citizen, can they still do that to you...?
LF9
Profile Joined November 2009
United States537 Posts
February 01 2010 22:54 GMT
#20
On January 17 2010 06:34 Kennigit wrote:
GhostWriter is gone now

Can you explain why please? I didn't read his original post, but he must have said something pretty bad to warrant being banned, correct?
1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
00:00
#14
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
Harstem78
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Railgan 91
Harstem 78
trigger 36
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 49665
Shuttle 8620
BeSt 706
Horang2 509
Larva 200
Sexy 186
actioN 180
Soma 141
Last 124
ggaemo 114
[ Show more ]
Mind 94
Zeus 74
hero 63
Hyun 55
Killer 52
Aegong 48
ToSsGirL 33
Bale 26
PianO 25
Rock 18
NaDa 14
Sacsri 7
Dota 2
Gorgc4982
qojqva2585
Dendi1329
420jenkins493
Fuzer 84
Counter-Strike
fl0m3499
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1066
Liquid`Hasu779
Other Games
B2W.Neo832
Beastyqt556
Mlord470
byalli384
Livibee218
ArmadaUGS209
Hui .203
KnowMe105
QueenE61
Mew2King59
CosmosSc2 33
Chillindude15
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick805
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream62
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 24
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 45
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 2565
League of Legends
• Nemesis3207
Other Games
• WagamamaTV215
Upcoming Events
BSL Open Qualifier
4h
BSL Open Qualifier
4h
Replay Cast
8h
Afreeca Starleague
19h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
20h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 1h
Replay Cast
1d 8h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 19h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 20h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
7 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.