• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:02
CEST 01:02
KST 08:02
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9077 users

Gamereplays.org posts it's thoughts on Zerg.

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Jobbies
Profile Joined May 2009
Scotland72 Posts
September 02 2009 12:08 GMT
#1
This is the first article from a set which will cover the other factions as well as some BlizzCon stuff.

It goes in detail to explain the different units and their uses which were discovered over 2 days amongst other stuff.

here's the article.

http://www.gamereplays.org/starcraft2/portals.php?show=page&name=starcraft-2-blizzcon-2009-starcraft-2-gameplay-thoughts
DarkSanta
Profile Joined May 2009
Netherlands76 Posts
September 02 2009 12:11 GMT
#2
Interesting read, disturbing too though ..
Kaniol
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
Poland5551 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-09-02 12:22:58
September 02 2009 12:17 GMT
#3
he biggest change is the removal of explosive damage, which dealt 50% base damage to small units. In the original Starcraft, this made units like Photon Cannons and Missile Turrets easy enough to knock down with nine to eleven mutalisks

Photon Cannons don't deal explosive dmg, they deal normal
Jobbies
Profile Joined May 2009
Scotland72 Posts
September 02 2009 12:18 GMT
#4
I believe he spoke of the mutalisks doing explosive
Terranlisk
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
Singapore1404 Posts
September 02 2009 12:19 GMT
#5
cannons and turrets are units?
aka myheronoob
Kaniol
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
Poland5551 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-09-02 12:23:04
September 02 2009 12:22 GMT
#6
On September 02 2009 21:18 Jobbies wrote:
I believe he spoke of the mutalisks doing explosive

But they dont do explosive, they do normal. However, they are small size, hence recieve 50% dmg from turrets

Corruptors and Brood Lords were not used much. Air units did not come up much, and those that did were either Vikings, which mutalisks dispatch easily, or phoenixes, which come out too early for corruptors to matter

Were Medivacs and Ravens no longer that powerful as in previous builds or what?
Shadowfury333
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Canada314 Posts
September 02 2009 15:56 GMT
#7
I mostly played ZvP, and the ZvT games I played focused on Hellions. Ravens were used in one game where I fast teched to Lurkers, rendering them somewhat moot. I never saw Medivacs.

As for the explosive damage turret thing, I just checked, my mistake there. At any rate, the point is that Photon cannons, either by dint of some other damage setup or by firing speed, are a lot more effective than in SC against Zerglings, Hydralisks and Mutalisks.
Darkness called...but I was on the phone, so I missed him. I tried to *69 darkness, but his machine picked up. I yelled "Pick up the phone, Darkness", but he ignored me. Darkness must have been screening his calls.
Psyonic_Reaver
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
United States4343 Posts
September 02 2009 16:18 GMT
#8
This was a good write-up and I feel the same way about many of the things he pointed out.
So wait? I'm bad? =(
Zato-1
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
Chile4253 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-09-02 16:54:27
September 02 2009 16:21 GMT
#9
On September 03 2009 00:56 Shadowfury333 wrote:
I mostly played ZvP, and the ZvT games I played focused on Hellions. Ravens were used in one game where I fast teched to Lurkers, rendering them somewhat moot. I never saw Medivacs.

As for the explosive damage turret thing, I just checked, my mistake there. At any rate, the point is that Photon cannons, either by dint of some other damage setup or by firing speed, are a lot more effective than in SC against Zerglings, Hydralisks and Mutalisks.

I don't know about cooldown or missile speed for the SC2 Photon Cannon vs. it's SC1 predecessor, but I do believe that Cannons are more sturdy in SC2 (125 health 125 shields 1 armor, whereas they had 100 health 100 shields 0 armor in SC1).

The flipside is, Pylons are more fragile than in SC1 (200 health 200 shields, vs. 300 health 300 shields in SC1), which might make sniping pylons to power down an array of cannons more worthwhile.
Go here http://vina.biobiochile.cl/ and input the Konami Code (up up down down left right left right B A)
rapistzerg
Profile Joined August 2009
37 Posts
September 02 2009 16:30 GMT
#10
what about banelings? were they removed?
Shalthrea
Profile Joined May 2009
Japan34 Posts
September 02 2009 16:33 GMT
#11
This really does sound disappointing, with the zergling nerf being the worst part of it. Does everyone who tried the zerg out at Blizzcon agree with this? I certainly hope that quite a bit of this will be reversed in some way, as it sounds like the zerg are turning into less of the mass units/map control race and becoming more like the other races in terms of expansion-related decision making.
Zato-1
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
Chile4253 Posts
September 02 2009 16:53 GMT
#12
Ok, read the article. I honestly don't know what to make of it, it's wrong on several accounts.

It makes a big deal about explosive damage being removed, when it's not a big deal at all- it was replaced by a downright better system (better in the sense that it's more flexible- units are not forced into dealing exactly half damage vs. small). As far as I can tell, however, units that deal bonus damage vs. armored (the SC2 equivalent of explosive damage) tend to deal more than 50% of their full damage vs. Light units (the SC2 equivalent of small units).

Eight Zerglings to kill a Zealot? I haven't played any version of SC2, and I can still tell this is BS. Unless the Zealot is one weapon upgrade ahead of the Zerglings' armor upgrades, I'm pretty sure 4 zerglings will kill a zealot in an open field (i.e. not fighting one zergling at a time through a narrow choke).

There's also the fact that, as has been mentioned above, Cannons don't deal explosive damage in Brood Wars.

So yeah. Given the above inaccuracies, I don't know how much to trust the rest of the article, which deals with matters I don't know first hand.
Go here http://vina.biobiochile.cl/ and input the Konami Code (up up down down left right left right B A)
Shadowfury333
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Canada314 Posts
September 02 2009 17:47 GMT
#13
Look, I'm sorry about the explosive thing. I'll look into getting that fixed. The point is that Mutalisks, Zerglings and Hydralisks seemed to die a lot faster to them.

As for the 8 Zerglings to a Zealot, that is not a crock. If you haven't played it, it does seem unbelievable, but this is what many of us found. I honestly thought it was 6, but I talked to iCCup.Cold and he insisted it was 8.
Darkness called...but I was on the phone, so I missed him. I tried to *69 darkness, but his machine picked up. I yelled "Pick up the phone, Darkness", but he ignored me. Darkness must have been screening his calls.
Psyonic_Reaver
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
United States4343 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-09-02 18:41:44
September 02 2009 17:49 GMT
#14
It's true. You need 8 lings. That's how it felt to me anyways. They just seem incredibly powerful. You can ask Machine and Ret. They felt that zerglings weren't strong either.
So wait? I'm bad? =(
Spawkuring
Profile Joined July 2008
United States755 Posts
September 02 2009 18:07 GMT
#15
Maybe Blizzard should solve that by making zerglings spawn by 3 instead of 2. It does seem kinda strange that lings have better pathing and the same stats, but get ripped apart by their counterparts.
Zato-1
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
Chile4253 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-09-02 18:29:41
September 02 2009 18:13 GMT
#16
Why would you need more lings to kill a zealot now? As far as I can tell, Zergling HP and damage per attack remain the same (35 HP, 5 damage), and Zealot stats are also largely unchanged (100 health / 60 shields / 16 damage).

Did you notice significant changes in their attack rates? Zealots have 22 cooldown between attack (I assume that's 22 game cycles), while Zerglings have 8 cooldown, which means a zergling can get in roughly 3 attacks for every 1 attack from a zealot.

Running some numbers, in order for a zealot to kill 7 lings by itself (assuming all the lings are hitting the zealot all the time, which is a big assumption), the cooldown values would have to be reversed- a zealot would have to attack 3 times for every time a zergling attacks. I find this to be farfetched, but as I said, I haven't played SC2.

What are your impressions of zealot attack rate vs. zergling attack rate?

EDIT: Was a little off with Zealot Shield values.
Go here http://vina.biobiochile.cl/ and input the Konami Code (up up down down left right left right B A)
RaGe
Profile Blog Joined July 2004
Belgium9950 Posts
September 02 2009 18:16 GMT
#17
On September 03 2009 03:13 Zato-1 wrote:
Why would you need more lings to kill a zealot now? As far as I can tell, Zergling HP and damage per attack remain the same (35 HP, 5 damage), and Zealot damage is the same while shields are down (100 health / 50 shields / 16 damage, down from 100 health / 60 shields / 16 damage).

Did you notice significant changes in their attack rates? Zealots have 22 cooldown between attack (I assume that's 22 game cycles), while Zerglings have 8 cooldown, which means a zergling can get in roughly 3 attacks for every 1 attack from a zealot.

Running some numbers, in order for a zealot to kill 7 lings by itself (assuming all the lings are hitting the zealot all the time, which is a big assumption), the cooldown values would have to be reversed- a zealot would have to attack 3 times for every time a zergling attacks. I find this to be farfetched, but as I said, I haven't played SC2.

What are your impressions of zealot attack rate vs. zergling attack rate?

Maybe shield regeneration got faster, our damage calculations changed?

Dunno
Moderatorsometimes I get intimidated by the size of my right testicle
Zato-1
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
Chile4253 Posts
September 02 2009 18:27 GMT
#18
On September 03 2009 03:16 RaGe wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 03 2009 03:13 Zato-1 wrote:
Why would you need more lings to kill a zealot now? As far as I can tell, Zergling HP and damage per attack remain the same (35 HP, 5 damage), and Zealot damage is the same while shields are down (100 health / 50 shields / 16 damage, down from 100 health / 60 shields / 16 damage).

Did you notice significant changes in their attack rates? Zealots have 22 cooldown between attack (I assume that's 22 game cycles), while Zerglings have 8 cooldown, which means a zergling can get in roughly 3 attacks for every 1 attack from a zealot.

Running some numbers, in order for a zealot to kill 7 lings by itself (assuming all the lings are hitting the zealot all the time, which is a big assumption), the cooldown values would have to be reversed- a zealot would have to attack 3 times for every time a zergling attacks. I find this to be farfetched, but as I said, I haven't played SC2.

What are your impressions of zealot attack rate vs. zergling attack rate?

Maybe shield regeneration got faster, our damage calculations changed?

Dunno

Shield regeneration rate is indeed faster, but it doesn't kick in while the unit is taking damage- there's a waiting period during which you can take no damage before you can regenerate anything at all.

As to damage calculations... I'm basing my numbers from this data, which was updated after Blizzcon '09 (I just noticed Zealot shields were bumped back up to 60). If anyone has more accurate numbers, I'd love it if these could be revealed.
Go here http://vina.biobiochile.cl/ and input the Konami Code (up up down down left right left right B A)
Zelniq
Profile Blog Joined August 2005
United States7166 Posts
September 02 2009 18:32 GMT
#19
this is exactly what i've been worried about with the goddamned 2 gas mechanic.. zerg gets fucked over because of their smaller worker count

combine this with the lack of a strong midgame ground unit, zerg seems to be in a rough position right now


and what he meant by the "removal of explosive damage" problem is that mutalisks in sc1 would take half damage from many units/buildings, which is now gone
ModeratorBlame yourself or God
KaasZerg
Profile Joined November 2005
Netherlands927 Posts
September 02 2009 18:36 GMT
#20
I guess 3lings are about as strong as a zealot in bw. I agree with zato's information. Also factor in the 1 armour the zealot has. Maybe they aquire a new target faster in SC2 after a kill in group battles. A zealot starts staring at the sun for half a second after a kill, then close in on the next in BW.
Zerglings seem to be very fast now and better at surrounding. It will help vs marines with their extra hp but it seems not so usefull vs zealots just duking it out.

I am a bit worried about the lurker now. Tier 3 expensive. By the time lurkers get into play the battlefield is full of enemy detectors.
1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
Continental Nation League S1
CranKy Ducklings8
Liquipedia
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #2
ZZZero.O126
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Artosis 1085
ZZZero.O 126
Bale 19
ajuk12(nOOB) 7
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm145
League of Legends
Doublelift5438
JimRising 725
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5590
Other Games
summit1g8793
FrodaN3094
KnowMe209
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1184
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream33
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP20
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie944
• Shiphtur185
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
10h 58m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
11h 58m
Monday Night Weeklies
16h 58m
Replay Cast
23h 58m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 10h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 11h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.