• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:25
CEST 22:25
KST 05:25
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War325.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
We built a tool to spot smurfs at match start 5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR?
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Making an Online Broodwar Manager Game BW General Discussion Rollback Netcode in Brood War Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8008 users

[G] TheCore - Advanced Keyboard Layout - Page 128

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 126 127 128 129 130 432 Next
graNite
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Germany4434 Posts
February 21 2013 20:00 GMT
#2541
oh ok, that must be it, sry for the upset.
is it forbidden by blizzards rules to do such a change (attack move on right click) ?
"Oink oink, bitches" - Tasteless on Pigbaby winning a map against Flash
Dragnmn
Profile Joined May 2011
Netherlands52 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-02-21 20:43:47
February 21 2013 20:43 GMT
#2542
I think the wording is something like "you cannot use third-party programs to change hotkeys". Mouse drivers are dubious though. Generally, if you cannot do it with the in-game UI it's probably illegal.
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
February 21 2013 20:49 GMT
#2543
@granite
I think the issue is that right now, attack move requires 2 button presses, so if you made attack move into 1 button press it could be considered a "macro" and illegal. Also, I think Dragnmn is right about non-game-UI = illegal.
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
Jagriff
Profile Joined May 2011
United States23 Posts
February 21 2013 20:52 GMT
#2544
I'm sorry if this has been mentioned before, but are there any plans to release a US_Colemak version of theCore?
JDub
Profile Joined December 2010
United States976 Posts
February 21 2013 22:20 GMT
#2545
On February 22 2013 05:52 Jagriff wrote:
I'm sorry if this has been mentioned before, but are there any plans to release a US_Colemak version of theCore?

Currently, no. However!! For anyone with a different keyboard layout who would like to use TheCore, you can help us make it happen.

To support a keyboard layout, we essentially need a key mapping from US Qwerty to that layout. See this file here on the GitHub for what such a mapping looks like: KeyboardLayouts.ini

One example (for the German conversion):
[German]
AltGr=1
Minus=BracketOpen
Equals=BracketClose
BracketOpen=SemiColon
BracketClose=Equals
SemiColon=Grave
Slash=Minus
BackSlash=Slash
Grave=BackSlash
Y=Z
Z=Y

The formatting is simple. Each line is a mapping from one US Qwerty key (on the left) to the other layout's key. So on a German keyboard, for instance, the Minus key is where the US Qwerty Slash key is, so we have Slash=Minus (anything bound to Slash for TheCore in US Qwerty will then get changed to Minus in German, and the SC2 Ability will be in the same spot on both keyboards).

The AltGr=1 or AltGr=0 in the first line just determines whether or not the alt on the right side of the keyboard is actually an AltGr key, which functions like Control+Alt (right-handed layouts will have all Alt's changed to Control+Alt's).

So essentially, if you want a new keyboard layout supported, you can:
1) Take it all on yourself, fork a copy of the GitHub repository and then send us a pull request for your changes to KeyboardLayouts.ini
2) Do 1) except communicate me and I'll help you get it working properly if you run into any issues.
3) Send me a picture of what your keyboard looks like, and I'll get to it eventually.
Snoodles
Profile Joined March 2012
401 Posts
February 22 2013 02:27 GMT
#2546
I appreciate that you guys took the time to make this dvorak friendly. Some thoughts:

I use TRMM, primarily play terran but random a lot. I use mouse button 4 for all my military production buildings, and mouse button 5 for all town centers and tech buildings. Then I use the dvorak equivalent to [;],[o],[p] for my army. If I'm terran, I use [L] to have a constant supply depot builder, or if I'm protoss as a dedicated builder.
For camera, [I] use [P]for main, [O] for expa, ; for main wall-off, and J/I for subsequent expansions.

I used to think you had to be a master player to overview your stuff so efficiently. I'm by no means good, but it all FEELS so smooth. Before the core I only had enough hand coordination to use 3 control groups. Reaching for any more completely confused my hand when returning to home position. Camera hotkeys were damn near never used. I would recommend this to anyone simply because even if you suck you'll feel like a pro.
Jagriff
Profile Joined May 2011
United States23 Posts
February 22 2013 04:25 GMT
#2547
Thank you very much!

Pull request sent.
JDub
Profile Joined December 2010
United States976 Posts
February 22 2013 04:39 GMT
#2548
On February 22 2013 13:25 Jagriff wrote:
Thank you very much!

Pull request sent.

Awesome! I merged it and generated the layout files for USColemak, they are in the USColemak folder on the GitHub now.
Jagriff
Profile Joined May 2011
United States23 Posts
February 22 2013 04:41 GMT
#2549
On February 22 2013 13:39 JDub wrote:
Awesome! I merged it and generated the layout files for USColemak, they are in the USColemak folder on the GitHub now.

Yes, I see. That was very quick - thanks again.

Now onto testing...
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
February 22 2013 06:04 GMT
#2550
Also uploaded onto the skydrive
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
Starney Binson
Profile Joined February 2013
Afghanistan2 Posts
February 22 2013 20:47 GMT
#2551
Hi, thanks for sharing this new keyboard setup.

I got some questions as I did not understand everything.

1- Must you remove some keys from your keyboard ?? What if you play from a notebook ?
2- How do you choose exactly your best setup ?
3- Does The Core support foreign keyboards ? (like european ones, the french one etc).

Thank you.
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
February 22 2013 21:12 GMT
#2552
1 - Watch the 2nd video in the OP (Download and Positioning)

2 - Watch the 2nd video in the OP (Download and Positioning)

3 - Watch the 2nd video in the OP (Download and Positioning)



You may or may not want to look at the other videos while you're at it. They answer pretty much all questions.
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
SultanVinegar
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States372 Posts
February 22 2013 21:16 GMT
#2553
Just wanted to thank you for this setup.

I'm coming back from a long break of playing, I was a diamond player in 2012 seasons 1-3. Obviously my mechanics after coming back from a half-year break were not great, and I saw a mention of TheCore on the reviews of some hotkey trainer map. I decided to switch and it was absolutely brutal at first, I thought I wouldn't stick with it. But after a few hours of training on the hotkeys and about 10 games, I feel like my mechanics are up to what they used to be PLUS I can now use the camera hotkeys, which I never used to do. I feel like switching would be a tremendous help to anyone lower than a masters player.

Great job on the hotkey setup. Keep up the good work!

Thanks
I'm a Flash man.
TheAngryZergling
Profile Joined January 2011
United States387 Posts
February 23 2013 13:07 GMT
#2554
Why are the replay watching hotkeys changed as well? Is that a necessary evil of changing the in game keys? If not why bother doing it? The only possible market it could cater to is high end observers/casters. That isn't the group you sold the idea of the core to. It is very frustrating to not be able to do something as simple as speeding up the replay using the core right now (yes I know you can click). Could you please revert replay hotkeys in the core 1.0?
Everything in life is most clearly explained through a Starcraft analogy.
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
February 23 2013 16:27 GMT
#2555
@TheAngryZergling

We're not selling TheCore, we don't have a target audience, we don't have an angle.

We are making the most efficient hotkey setup we possibly can. The people who like it, use it. That is all.

You are more than welcome to revert the keys to default if you want to. It wouldn't take very much time, (there is a restore default button).

That being said, we are having some conflicts with the observer functions, so they will be changed for TheCore 1.0
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
TheAngryZergling
Profile Joined January 2011
United States387 Posts
February 23 2013 17:26 GMT
#2556
I know you aren't trying to sell anything and just trying to be an honest to goodness helpful community member. You are providing a product (even pro bono) and all products worth creating (like yours is) have a target audience. As far as I can tell your target market is the starcraft 2 player willing to invest the time to get the most efficient hotkey setup. I bought into that. I still enjoy using the core and have no complaints about it in game. I am only questioning why the keys in replay mode are drastically changed as well. If you are saying it is easy to revert only the replay hotkey changes that is fine; I would like to do that. I didn't want to try and make any changes in case there was a link between in game changes and replay changes as asked in my previous post. If you could please address the following, my curiosity will be sated:
  • Why are the replay watching hotkeys changed as well?
  • Is that a necessary evil of changing the in game keys?
  • If not why bother doing it?
  • Could you please revert replay hotkeys in the core 1.0?
Everything in life is most clearly explained through a Starcraft analogy.
Morsk
Profile Joined January 2013
United States16 Posts
February 23 2013 19:16 GMT
#2557
I like TheCore's replay keys the way they are. It lets you watch a replay after each game, without having to move the keyboard back and forth each time. Also it's not as if the default replay/observer keys are any good. They're all over the board, and not reachable by one hand.
Anziel
Profile Joined February 2011
Canada4 Posts
February 23 2013 19:33 GMT
#2558
I'm gonna start using *TheCore* as from now on. The layout looks very good. I Used to be Top platinum/ Low diamond

Currently having a bit of a trouble getting started with it. Gotta find a way to get better with it
"say hello to my little friend"
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
February 23 2013 20:12 GMT
#2559
@TheAngryZergling

I agree to disagree about making decisions based on a target audience.

The reasons why the observing keys are optimized are the same reasons why the in-game functions are optimized. To make actions faster and more efficient. That being said, there is an issue with overlapping the play commands with the replay commands and I will be moving them to the opposite side of the keyboard as the play commands. I will not be reverting them to the standard observing shortcuts because that would be less efficient.

@Anziel
I would strongly suggest using TheStaircase as a way of learning TheCore.
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
Photon99
Profile Joined March 2012
7 Posts
February 23 2013 22:54 GMT
#2560
Quick question:
It seems like Shift+CG does not have a function, while create control group is Ctl+shift+CG (and is harder to press). Why is that? I understand for the ones that have a camera also associated with it since it recalls the camera (this is true for say P and O) but why not have create CG semicolon be shift-semicolon rather than ctl+shift+semicolon?

A related question, is why is add to control group CTL rather than shift? It seems like I add the most often, and shift is right under my thumb.

I hope my question(s) are clear.

Thanks!

[PRM]
Time flies like a rocket, fruit flies like a banana
Prev 1 126 127 128 129 130 432 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 35m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 537
ProTech150
UpATreeSC 96
ZombieGrub66
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 15061
Calm 2755
Mini 236
Mind 73
910 67
soO 38
Dota 2
Gorgc6724
monkeys_forever87
canceldota72
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3689
Other Games
summit1g1905
fl0m1624
olofmeister908
FrodaN712
Liquid`Hasu340
C9.Mang0193
Livibee190
IndyStarCraft 146
Organizations
StarCraft 2
angryscii 13
[ Show 19 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 16
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 40
• FirePhoenix14
• Michael_bg 4
• niya90s 2
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota2835
• WagamamaTV365
Other Games
• imaqtpie959
• Shiphtur640
• Scarra572
• tFFMrPink 15
Upcoming Events
OSC
2h 35m
Big Brain Bouts
13h 35m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
20h 35m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
22h 35m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 13h
Patches Events
1d 18h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 22h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 22h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-08
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.