• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:21
CEST 10:21
KST 17:21
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202615Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ BW General Discussion GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November]
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6772 users

England vs Sweden - Group D Matchday 2 - Page 16

Forum Index > UEFA Euro 2012
Post a Reply
Prev 1 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All
Hassybaby
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United Kingdom10823 Posts
June 15 2012 21:11 GMT
#301
On June 16 2012 06:08 Aeroplaneoverthesea wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 16 2012 06:05 Hassybaby wrote:
On June 16 2012 06:02 Aeroplaneoverthesea wrote:
On June 16 2012 05:57 Hassybaby wrote:
On June 16 2012 05:55 Aeroplaneoverthesea wrote:
Shitty football but we did play a bit once Milner fucked off and we got Walcott on. Shame we can't drop Glenn Johnsen for Richards but hey ho.

4 points from France/Sweden is a really good result I'd say and now we have Rooney back we should look a lot less useless next game.

I just hope he picks Rooney/Welbeck not Rooney/Carroll.


Phil Jones is an option as well. He's amazingly versatile so I don't know why he's not played


I'm a United fan so I've seen a lot of Phil Jones.

Jones is a talented player and in the future I think he'll be a starter for England either in midfield or at centre back.

Right now though he's extremely naive positionally and given he's against Yarmalenko (Ukraine's best player) I think I'd prefer Johnson. For all Johnson's endless lapses in concentration and bad positioning he's a least very, very quick so can make up for it.

Jones's isn't that quick and right back is probably his worst position (so much so we play Rafael, Fabio and Smalling ahead of him at full back).

Jones's isn't ready for this stage yet imo.


I'm also a United fan (yay :D)

I agree. I think Jones works better as a holding midfielder. But I think he'll most definitely be an option if they need it.

I dunno, I thought Johnson played really well that game :3


He played Melberg onside for their first.

He was marking Melberg for their second.

He let their left back Ollson come inside him for the Kallstrom chance which he should have scored.

He was completely at fault for both their goals.


Now come on, you can't blame Johnson for what was 100% Ashley Cole's fault. If Cole was even remotely paying attention he could have stopped Mellberg...

Second one I'm with you, but he held the right very well throughout the game, and always went forward. In contrast, Cole was asleep
"These guys are mindfucking me into a sex coma" | "Mayonnaise is a must-have lubricant when performing necrophilia"
Aeroplaneoverthesea
Profile Joined April 2012
United Kingdom1977 Posts
June 15 2012 21:17 GMT
#302
On June 16 2012 06:11 Hassybaby wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 16 2012 06:08 Aeroplaneoverthesea wrote:
On June 16 2012 06:05 Hassybaby wrote:
On June 16 2012 06:02 Aeroplaneoverthesea wrote:
On June 16 2012 05:57 Hassybaby wrote:
On June 16 2012 05:55 Aeroplaneoverthesea wrote:
Shitty football but we did play a bit once Milner fucked off and we got Walcott on. Shame we can't drop Glenn Johnsen for Richards but hey ho.

4 points from France/Sweden is a really good result I'd say and now we have Rooney back we should look a lot less useless next game.

I just hope he picks Rooney/Welbeck not Rooney/Carroll.


Phil Jones is an option as well. He's amazingly versatile so I don't know why he's not played


I'm a United fan so I've seen a lot of Phil Jones.

Jones is a talented player and in the future I think he'll be a starter for England either in midfield or at centre back.

Right now though he's extremely naive positionally and given he's against Yarmalenko (Ukraine's best player) I think I'd prefer Johnson. For all Johnson's endless lapses in concentration and bad positioning he's a least very, very quick so can make up for it.

Jones's isn't that quick and right back is probably his worst position (so much so we play Rafael, Fabio and Smalling ahead of him at full back).

Jones's isn't ready for this stage yet imo.


I'm also a United fan (yay :D)

I agree. I think Jones works better as a holding midfielder. But I think he'll most definitely be an option if they need it.

I dunno, I thought Johnson played really well that game :3


He played Melberg onside for their first.

He was marking Melberg for their second.

He let their left back Ollson come inside him for the Kallstrom chance which he should have scored.

He was completely at fault for both their goals.


Now come on, you can't blame Johnson for what was 100% Ashley Cole's fault. If Cole was even remotely paying attention he could have stopped Mellberg...

Second one I'm with you, but he held the right very well throughout the game, and always went forward. In contrast, Cole was asleep


I disagree. You can't really account for the random bounce of the ball with deflections. Cole did what Terry and Lescott and any other decent defender would do. They moved out as a unit to play their forwards offside, it's standard defending 101 to do that in those situations as you can see from the fact our other three defenders all did the same thing.

If Johnson had done it Mellberg would have been offside just like he should have been.

Cole had a solid game imo didn't make any defensive mistakes for me. Young had a mare in front of him which meant our left flank created very little but Cole's on the pitch to defend primarily, especially in our setup.
grobo
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
Japan6199 Posts
June 15 2012 21:17 GMT
#303
5minutes of happiness, that's all you get as a Swede in this life.

Fucking hell, where's my whiskey..?
We make signature, then defense it.
samw
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
England443 Posts
June 15 2012 21:18 GMT
#304
On June 16 2012 06:08 Hassybaby wrote:
Rofl...dat conclusion from the English pundits

"nope, we're waaaaaay too bad right now"

haha. They all basically said "We are shit the chances of us winning are 0" Nice upbeat end.
"You will walk in the garden of his turbulence"
samw
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
England443 Posts
June 15 2012 21:25 GMT
#305
If we get through and meet Spain in the round of 8, It will be an absolute massacre, most of the England team will need anus reconstruction surgery.
"You will walk in the garden of his turbulence"
Sonic Death Monkey
Profile Joined July 2011
Sweden991 Posts
June 15 2012 21:27 GMT
#306
On June 16 2012 06:09 Hittegods wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 16 2012 06:01 Sonic Death Monkey wrote:
Hard to tell how good/bad Hamren is. The players to his disposal was quite bad compared to the last decade imo. I wouldn't mind giving him another shot.

Pretty easy to tell how bad/naive he is.


No, not really.
TonyL2
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
England1953 Posts
June 15 2012 21:32 GMT
#307
Very exciting game in the end it seemed.

Young was very disappointing this game though, would like to see more Oxlade-Chamberlain. But then again, if it's Young/Welbeck/Rooney, their chemistry could be vital for Ukraine
Hassybaby
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United Kingdom10823 Posts
June 15 2012 21:33 GMT
#308
On June 16 2012 06:17 Aeroplaneoverthesea wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 16 2012 06:11 Hassybaby wrote:
On June 16 2012 06:08 Aeroplaneoverthesea wrote:
On June 16 2012 06:05 Hassybaby wrote:
On June 16 2012 06:02 Aeroplaneoverthesea wrote:
On June 16 2012 05:57 Hassybaby wrote:
On June 16 2012 05:55 Aeroplaneoverthesea wrote:
Shitty football but we did play a bit once Milner fucked off and we got Walcott on. Shame we can't drop Glenn Johnsen for Richards but hey ho.

4 points from France/Sweden is a really good result I'd say and now we have Rooney back we should look a lot less useless next game.

I just hope he picks Rooney/Welbeck not Rooney/Carroll.


Phil Jones is an option as well. He's amazingly versatile so I don't know why he's not played


I'm a United fan so I've seen a lot of Phil Jones.

Jones is a talented player and in the future I think he'll be a starter for England either in midfield or at centre back.

Right now though he's extremely naive positionally and given he's against Yarmalenko (Ukraine's best player) I think I'd prefer Johnson. For all Johnson's endless lapses in concentration and bad positioning he's a least very, very quick so can make up for it.

Jones's isn't that quick and right back is probably his worst position (so much so we play Rafael, Fabio and Smalling ahead of him at full back).

Jones's isn't ready for this stage yet imo.


I'm also a United fan (yay :D)

I agree. I think Jones works better as a holding midfielder. But I think he'll most definitely be an option if they need it.

I dunno, I thought Johnson played really well that game :3


He played Melberg onside for their first.

He was marking Melberg for their second.

He let their left back Ollson come inside him for the Kallstrom chance which he should have scored.

He was completely at fault for both their goals.


Now come on, you can't blame Johnson for what was 100% Ashley Cole's fault. If Cole was even remotely paying attention he could have stopped Mellberg...

Second one I'm with you, but he held the right very well throughout the game, and always went forward. In contrast, Cole was asleep


I disagree. You can't really account for the random bounce of the ball with deflections. Cole did what Terry and Lescott and any other decent defender would do. They moved out as a unit to play their forwards offside, it's standard defending 101 to do that in those situations as you can see from the fact our other three defenders all did the same thing.

If Johnson had done it Mellberg would have been offside just like he should have been.

Cole had a solid game imo didn't make any defensive mistakes for me. Young had a mare in front of him which meant our left flank created very little but Cole's on the pitch to defend primarily, especially in our setup.


I guess we'll agree to disagree. The pundits int he BBC said the same. If you watch the replay, you saw the Milner aws tracking his man in the box while Ashley Cole stood there and had absolutely no idea where Mellberg was. That to me is a major defensive fuckup
"These guys are mindfucking me into a sex coma" | "Mayonnaise is a must-have lubricant when performing necrophilia"
Aeroplaneoverthesea
Profile Joined April 2012
United Kingdom1977 Posts
June 15 2012 21:38 GMT
#309
On June 16 2012 06:33 Hassybaby wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 16 2012 06:17 Aeroplaneoverthesea wrote:
On June 16 2012 06:11 Hassybaby wrote:
On June 16 2012 06:08 Aeroplaneoverthesea wrote:
On June 16 2012 06:05 Hassybaby wrote:
On June 16 2012 06:02 Aeroplaneoverthesea wrote:
On June 16 2012 05:57 Hassybaby wrote:
On June 16 2012 05:55 Aeroplaneoverthesea wrote:
Shitty football but we did play a bit once Milner fucked off and we got Walcott on. Shame we can't drop Glenn Johnsen for Richards but hey ho.

4 points from France/Sweden is a really good result I'd say and now we have Rooney back we should look a lot less useless next game.

I just hope he picks Rooney/Welbeck not Rooney/Carroll.


Phil Jones is an option as well. He's amazingly versatile so I don't know why he's not played


I'm a United fan so I've seen a lot of Phil Jones.

Jones is a talented player and in the future I think he'll be a starter for England either in midfield or at centre back.

Right now though he's extremely naive positionally and given he's against Yarmalenko (Ukraine's best player) I think I'd prefer Johnson. For all Johnson's endless lapses in concentration and bad positioning he's a least very, very quick so can make up for it.

Jones's isn't that quick and right back is probably his worst position (so much so we play Rafael, Fabio and Smalling ahead of him at full back).

Jones's isn't ready for this stage yet imo.


I'm also a United fan (yay :D)

I agree. I think Jones works better as a holding midfielder. But I think he'll most definitely be an option if they need it.

I dunno, I thought Johnson played really well that game :3


He played Melberg onside for their first.

He was marking Melberg for their second.

He let their left back Ollson come inside him for the Kallstrom chance which he should have scored.

He was completely at fault for both their goals.


Now come on, you can't blame Johnson for what was 100% Ashley Cole's fault. If Cole was even remotely paying attention he could have stopped Mellberg...

Second one I'm with you, but he held the right very well throughout the game, and always went forward. In contrast, Cole was asleep


I disagree. You can't really account for the random bounce of the ball with deflections. Cole did what Terry and Lescott and any other decent defender would do. They moved out as a unit to play their forwards offside, it's standard defending 101 to do that in those situations as you can see from the fact our other three defenders all did the same thing.

If Johnson had done it Mellberg would have been offside just like he should have been.

Cole had a solid game imo didn't make any defensive mistakes for me. Young had a mare in front of him which meant our left flank created very little but Cole's on the pitch to defend primarily, especially in our setup.


I guess we'll agree to disagree. The pundits int he BBC said the same. If you watch the replay, you saw the Milner aws tracking his man in the box while Ashley Cole stood there and had absolutely no idea where Mellberg was. That to me is a major defensive fuckup


I'm in Italy at the moment and Italian TV didn't consider the game interesting enough to show any replays at all so I can't rewatch it unfortunately.
iMonAhorsE
Profile Joined June 2011
Germany275 Posts
June 15 2012 21:40 GMT
#310
and i thought chelsea used up all luck for english football for the next 10 years...
Caphe
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
Vietnam10817 Posts
June 15 2012 21:46 GMT
#311
On June 16 2012 06:40 iMonAhorsE wrote:
and i thought chelsea used up all luck for english football for the next 10 years...

Well, Hodson is a manager that known for his willingness to take risk and luck or not, this game has gone well for him. He played with 2 forward which is a rare sight in recent times(since Mourinho surfaces!!!) and one of them is a rockie from ManU the other has a sloppy season at Liverpool but they re-paid him well.
Terran
GeorgeH
Profile Joined January 2012
United Kingdom190 Posts
June 15 2012 22:08 GMT
#312
If Mellberg had scored a hatrick I swear... I would've...
Sonic Death Monkey
Profile Joined July 2011
Sweden991 Posts
June 15 2012 22:13 GMT
#313
On June 16 2012 07:08 GeorgeH wrote:
If Mellberg had scored a hatrick I swear... I would've...


Actually Johnson got credit for the first goal :p Quite weird imo, as I thought the rule of thumb for own goals was that the interference had to cause a ball that otherwise wouldn't go in to go in. Seems like that was not the case. But I was drunk so what the hell do I know.
stichtom
Profile Joined March 2011
Italy695 Posts
June 15 2012 22:14 GMT
#314
The 2-2 was weird. What was the goalkeeper thinking?
Favourite player: IM.MVP ~ Favorite league: IPL
ELA
Profile Joined April 2010
Denmark4608 Posts
June 15 2012 22:17 GMT
#315
On June 16 2012 06:17 grobo wrote:
5minutes of happiness, that's all you get as a Swede in this life.

Fucking hell, where's my whiskey..?


after sundays match against germany, i'll come join you
The first link of chain forged, the first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.
Copymizer
Profile Joined November 2010
Denmark2108 Posts
June 15 2012 22:34 GMT
#316
On June 16 2012 07:17 ELA wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 16 2012 06:17 grobo wrote:
5minutes of happiness, that's all you get as a Swede in this life.

Fucking hell, where's my whiskey..?


after sundays match against germany, i'll come join you

hahahah that made me laugh but i really fear this too xD! Realistically if we play up to the best of our best i expect a 1-1 Germany is just too good
~~Yo man ! MBCGame HERO Fighting !! Holy check !
DragoonTT
Profile Joined April 2012
3398 Posts
June 15 2012 22:38 GMT
#317
On June 16 2012 07:34 Copymizer wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 16 2012 07:17 ELA wrote:
On June 16 2012 06:17 grobo wrote:
5minutes of happiness, that's all you get as a Swede in this life.

Fucking hell, where's my whiskey..?


after sundays match against germany, i'll come join you

hahahah that made me laugh but i really fear this too xD! Realistically if we play up to the best of our best i expect a 1-1 Germany is just too good

German fans and media are terribly overconfident, already celebrating reaching the quarterfinals and calling for the bench to play against Denmark. I hope Löw won't cave in, or we'll lose to Denmark and, subsequently, get eliminated after all. Sure our starting eleven look very strong, and our bench is full of quality - but they've never played a match together (other than against Switzerland, and everyone knows how THAT ended...)
Lyter
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United Kingdom2145 Posts
June 15 2012 22:40 GMT
#318
On June 16 2012 07:13 Sonic Death Monkey wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 16 2012 07:08 GeorgeH wrote:
If Mellberg had scored a hatrick I swear... I would've...


Actually Johnson got credit for the first goal :p Quite weird imo, as I thought the rule of thumb for own goals was that the interference had to cause a ball that otherwise wouldn't go in to go in. Seems like that was not the case. But I was drunk so what the hell do I know.


It didn't look like it was going in without him I don't think, Hart saved, it bounced off johnson, then he went after it and it went off the post and in I think? :s
Sonic Death Monkey
Profile Joined July 2011
Sweden991 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-15 23:05:02
June 15 2012 23:03 GMT
#319
On June 16 2012 07:40 Lyter wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 16 2012 07:13 Sonic Death Monkey wrote:
On June 16 2012 07:08 GeorgeH wrote:
If Mellberg had scored a hatrick I swear... I would've...


Actually Johnson got credit for the first goal :p Quite weird imo, as I thought the rule of thumb for own goals was that the interference had to cause a ball that otherwise wouldn't go in to go in. Seems like that was not the case. But I was drunk so what the hell do I know.


It didn't look like it was going in without him I don't think, Hart saved, it bounced off johnson, then he went after it and it went off the post and in I think? :s


Like I said I was drunk, more likely the officials got it right than me. I can barely remember what happened Unfortunate situation for Johnson, not much he could've done. I think :p
sixfour
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
England11062 Posts
June 15 2012 23:17 GMT
#320
so i guess now that walcott managed to benefit from bad goalkeeping for the one that he bagged, and welbz's incredible improvised finishing for the bad cross that he laid in, the press will look at the two scorepoints and demand he starts against ukraine despite the fact the only reason he should ever start a match is that he isn't downing
p: stats, horang2, free, jangbi z: soulkey, zero, shine, hydra t: leta, hiya, sea
Prev 1 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 14h 39m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 3289
Soma 276
Rush 267
Killer 121
ToSsGirL 102
Mong 72
Shinee 39
Counter-Strike
ceh9556
byalli546
shoxiejesuss394
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King118
Other Games
summit1g8141
olofmeister675
WinterStarcraft589
Happy377
dupreeh232
Sick213
crisheroes143
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 49
• killerbeecast1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix9
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos1005
• Stunt435
Upcoming Events
OSC
14h 39m
Big Brain Bouts
1d 1h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 8h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 10h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.