• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:58
CEST 13:58
KST 20:58
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9785 users

[TSL] Candidate Map Pool - Page 3

Forum Index > PokerStrategy.com TSL3 Forum
241 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 11 12 13 Next All
Klive5ive
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United Kingdom6056 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-09 18:21:30
February 09 2011 18:20 GMT
#41
The weakest map in that pool in my opinion is Metalopolis. Close positions is just utterly game breaking with too small a rush distance. The randomness of the spawn locations makes it completely unpredictable to prepare for and therefore we get cookie-cutter rush builds from close positions.
Scrap station is a great map in comparison.
It's one of the few maps where rushes from all races are tricky and we usually see longer games.
Don't hate the player - Hate the game
Zhul
Profile Joined February 2010
Czech Republic430 Posts
February 09 2011 18:20 GMT
#42
Finaly some cool maps (metalopolis and scrap station is still piece of crap tho ).
theqat
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
United States2856 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-09 18:21:57
February 09 2011 18:21 GMT
#43
A couple of thoughts:

-On Tal'darim Altar it's very easy to attack the mineral line of the natural at 10:00 from the low ground just below. I don't know if this applies to other positions on the same map, but it kind of damages the balance of the map. Such layouts are disproportionately difficult for Zerg to defend in SC2 (see Steppes of War). Andromeda had a similar problem in BW, but only at the mineral-only naturals.

-It would be nice to consider the iccup maps that ESL uses. The iccup sc2 map team has expended a huge amount of effort over a very long period of time to create something nice for the community and help move the game forward. It's a bit of a shame to see their work excluded from consideration for use in the ultimate community event.

Would XNC and Metal be the GOM versions that disable the double Bunker block?
GhettoSheep
Profile Joined August 2008
United States150 Posts
February 09 2011 18:21 GMT
#44
Great map pool!

All these maps have shown great games. I don't think ICCup maps are a good choice as big tournaments are going to want to overlap with the GSL, which will never use ICCup maps, so good decision on TSL's part

If i had to get rid of 2 maps, as the post said you guys were looking for 5-6, I would remove:

Scrap Station: I think it gives a lot of great games but some people think its imbalanced so... eh, I'd also just like to see more of the new maps.

Shakuras Plateau: I actually really enjoy this map, but I'll admit, whenever I backdoor a zerg in tvz its kind of auto-win.

Alternatively I'd remove Tal'Darim Altar because its just so damn big lol. but even so, the games ive seen on that map have been really cool so I'd remove Shakuras first
Wolf
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Korea (South)3290 Posts
February 09 2011 18:24 GMT
#45
Hmm... I don't really know if I like this. I'm a big fan of tournament pools being the same as ladder pools. I suppose it's okay for TSL, but I'd rather not see these non-ladder maps in qualifiers.
Commentatorhttp://twitter.com/proxywolf
TL+ Member
Turgid
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1623 Posts
February 09 2011 18:25 GMT
#46
How about two iccup maps, preferably the ones ESL is using, two gsl maps, metalopolis(close positions disabled?) and xel'naga? Sounds fair.

I think no matter what the map pool will be an improvement so I'm very happy that you guys are thinking critically about this stuff. I am confident that Team Liquid will choose a solution which makes most people happy.
(╬ ಠ益ಠ)
QuixoticO
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Netherlands810 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-09 18:36:58
February 09 2011 18:28 GMT
#47
On February 10 2011 03:01 avilo wrote:
They should get rid of scrap/shakuras imo, but obviously those are two of the three there that are the most tested. But even those have problems with balance a lot of times.

It's good TSL is doing this, I hope other tournaments follow the same idea.


Makes sense you would say this considering your common play style.

I've yet to hear good arguments in this thread why shakuras or scrap are imbalanced so hopefully they will stay in the Map Pool. Don't even know why T hates Scrap so much against Z considering how easy it is to punish Zerg getting a third.

Tho I'm far from the best person to discuss map balance I find those two the least imbalanced of all maps besides maybe Xel Naga :o.

Great news things are being taken in consideration and discussed before picking the definitive map pool! TL.net staying awesome :3
"Suum Cuique" - Cicero
sc_oldboy
Profile Joined January 2011
Germany35 Posts
February 09 2011 18:29 GMT
#48
Close position metalopolis should be disabled, game breaking and boring to watch imo
What does one have to do to become a Zerg gosu? First empty your mind, get your firm grip on the mouse and practice hard, and don't get stressed out. Zerg gosuness is measured by enjoyment you get without getting stressed out, not skill. That's gosu.
Adebisi
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Canada1637 Posts
February 09 2011 18:30 GMT
#49
Great choices, I'd probably remove Crossfire/Scrap and disable close spawn Metal!
Bosu
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States3247 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-09 18:33:22
February 09 2011 18:32 GMT
#50
On February 10 2011 03:30 Adebisi wrote:
Great choices, I'd probably remove Crossfire/Scrap and disable close spawn Metal!



I agree with this.

I am not totally convinced that the GSL maps are great either, but whatever at least they are different. Kinda favors the koreans heavily though as they have a lot more practice partners to play with on them.
#1 Kwanro Fan
TORTOISE
Profile Joined December 2010
United States515 Posts
February 09 2011 18:36 GMT
#51
WOOT IM HYPED AS... well, I'm hyped!
◕ ‿‿ ◕ ๑•́ ₃ •̀๑ ( ͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡°)
TaKemE
Profile Joined April 2010
Denmark1045 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-09 18:37:32
February 09 2011 18:36 GMT
#52
On February 10 2011 03:30 Adebisi wrote:
Great choices, I'd probably remove Crossfire/Scrap and disable close spawn Metal!


Have you played corssfire or seen games on it? its an awesome very big map.

I think many dont like corssfire because it reminds them of JB at first look but trust be its nothing like that.
fabiano
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Brazil4644 Posts
February 09 2011 18:38 GMT
#53
I would take out Scrap Station for sure, and possibly Metalopolis too.

Anyway, TSL is the best tournament out there rightnow, and we can trust its going to be great.
"When the geyser died, a probe came out" - SirJolt
Quasimoto3000
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States471 Posts
February 09 2011 18:39 GMT
#54
Id really like to see scrap switched witth an ICCUP map to mix things up.

Other than that, Im getting more excited for TSL3 by the day :D
Every sunday a nun lays from my gunplay
ineedadrink
Profile Joined January 2011
United States108 Posts
February 09 2011 18:42 GMT
#55
add testbug and remove metal or scrap and this would be a perfect map pool, love the gsl maps
setzer
Profile Joined March 2010
United States3284 Posts
February 09 2011 18:45 GMT
#56
On February 10 2011 03:24 Wolf wrote:
Hmm... I don't really know if I like this. I'm a big fan of tournament pools being the same as ladder pools. I suppose it's okay for TSL, but I'd rather not see these non-ladder maps in qualifiers.


I would like to know if you still plan on being okay with this when Blizzard decides to stop updating the ladder pool (it will likely happen if history is anything to go by), or they never truly make a balanced pool. TL knows the importance of having a fresh map pool that promotes creative play but stays balanced. GOM has already done extensive testing on the maps and with progamer imput has found that the ones selected were adequate for their league. If through further play problems arise new versions will come out in a timely manner (there has already been multiple versions of these maps).

Overall anything is better than the current map pool that the vast majority of gamers feels is not up to current standards. I personally hope the TSL chooses to remove Metalopolis and SS. As a side note, I would love to see Testbug considered for the pool.
Zaphid
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Czech Republic1860 Posts
February 09 2011 18:46 GMT
#57
Yeah, I agree with the idea to add 1 iCCup map, Testbug probably, because that leaves us with nice mix 2,3 and 4 player maps. Metalopolis is nice, but when you get close spawns, it gets ugly and Scrap is kinda odd, there is very little depth beyond the 2 base play because if somebody secures third, they usually have such a big advantage the game ends right there.
I will never ever play Mech against Protoss. - MVP
Liquid`Nazgul
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
22427 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-09 18:48:05
February 09 2011 18:47 GMT
#58
The reason why we have posted this selection now is because we are of the opinion that players need to know their mappool plenty in advance. Ideally we would have announced our final 5 maps already, but because of developments in the scene we have decided to do it this way which gives us a little more time to look at the balance while players are still able to see which maps they should be practicing.

This means that there will not be other maps added as that defeats the point of giving players the map information with enough time in advance to practice.
Administrator
duckii
Profile Joined April 2010
Germany1017 Posts
February 09 2011 18:50 GMT
#59
Would have liked 1 or 2 iccup maps as well. Will be interesting to see which ones are picked in the end.
WhiteDog
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
France8650 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-09 18:52:19
February 09 2011 18:50 GMT
#60
Crossfire and Crevasse are bad in my opinion.

It's still interesting to see TSL following GSL.
"every time WhiteDog overuses the word "seriously" in a comment I can make an observation on his fragile emotional state." MoltkeWarding
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 11 12 13 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
INu's Battles
20:00
INu's Battles#21
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
IntoTheiNu 1092
WardiTV461
LiquipediaDiscussion
Afreeca Starleague
19:00
Ro4 Match 2
Soma vs Soulkey
Afreeca ASL 15269
StarCastTV_EN424
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko412
ProTech155
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 20460
Bisu 5667
Jaedong 4906
EffOrt 1441
BeSt 859
ZerO 641
Horang2 457
Pusan 359
actioN 324
Zeus 266
[ Show more ]
Larva 183
Hyun 148
Mind 143
Yoon 132
Barracks 125
ggaemo 97
Killer 57
scan(afreeca) 45
Sharp 43
ToSsGirL 41
Sea.KH 36
Snow 35
Bale 34
Shinee 34
NotJumperer 29
Hm[arnc] 20
Sacsri 18
Terrorterran 17
zelot 11
ajuk12(nOOB) 10
Noble 9
Dota 2
Dendi1035
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1421
byalli728
markeloff87
Other Games
crisheroes295
Pyrionflax186
DeMusliM172
B2W.Neo160
dupreeh109
Mew2King64
Livibee48
QueenE40
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 239
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream43
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV660
League of Legends
• Jankos1211
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
12h 2m
Patches Events
1d 4h
The PondCast
1d 22h
INu's Battles
1d 23h
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
5 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.