• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:08
CEST 06:08
KST 13:08
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)64Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Sagi.gg Launcher Released an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot Bot on ladder Data analysis on 8 million games
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8019 users

Simple Questions Simple Answers - Page 171

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
Prev 1 169 170 171 172 173 653 Next
Nabutso
Profile Joined April 2011
351 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-03 22:33:40
July 03 2012 22:30 GMT
#3401
On July 04 2012 06:52 LJ wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 04 2012 04:26 Alryk wrote:
Hey guys, what kind of settings can I get with a pentium G620 in starcraft 2? Primarily 1v1's, but things like monobattles wouldn't be ruled out.

Anandtech indicates 33FPS on ultra, but I think that's just average. I would mainly be looking for medium quality gaming (both GPU and CPU) at 1080P. I have the graphics handled, I'm just wondering, can the G620 handle that?
You can get whatever settings your graphics card can handle. The Pentium 620 can handle anything with the right graphics card, what I am basically saying is you will be limited by your graphics card and not this CPU

I don't think it's right to tell someone that their bottleneck would be their GPU when you don't know what it is, and we're talking about a massively CPU dependent game here with the weakest current/last gen intel duo core on the market.


The G620 will run SC2 well, but don't expect maxed 4v4s to be a piece of cake of course.
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
July 03 2012 22:35 GMT
#3402
On July 04 2012 07:30 Nabutso wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 04 2012 06:52 LJ wrote:
On July 04 2012 04:26 Alryk wrote:
Hey guys, what kind of settings can I get with a pentium G620 in starcraft 2? Primarily 1v1's, but things like monobattles wouldn't be ruled out.

Anandtech indicates 33FPS on ultra, but I think that's just average. I would mainly be looking for medium quality gaming (both GPU and CPU) at 1080P. I have the graphics handled, I'm just wondering, can the G620 handle that?
You can get whatever settings your graphics card can handle. The Pentium 620 can handle anything with the right graphics card, what I am basically saying is you will be limited by your graphics card and not this CPU

I don't think it's right to tell someone that their bottleneck would be their GPU when you don't know what it is, and we're talking about a massively CPU dependent game here.


In a sort of bizarre way, if you read it differently, he's right. While the CPU will nail down FPS in SC2 for most people in lategame scenarios, the vast majority of the graphics settings only really give a shit about the GPU.

So while the CPU limits your max, you can mostly ignore it when talking purely about pretty factor.

It's just a bizarre way to look at it when any desktop GPU that's actually intended for gaming can go above mid settings in SC2.
LJ
Profile Joined January 2012
203 Posts
July 03 2012 23:33 GMT
#3403
what i was saying is that that cpu will not limit you in any way playing Starcraft 2, sure you will get a few more frames with a 2500K but you will get a lot more frames with a better graphics card. I have tested a G530 which is slightly slower than the G620 and believe me at 1920x1080 it laughs at Ultra settings with a 7950 and the same can be said about medium setting with a low end card which I still use with it (5750)
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-03 23:42:46
July 03 2012 23:37 GMT
#3404
On July 04 2012 08:33 LJ wrote:
what i was saying is that that cpu will not limit you in any way playing Starcraft 2, sure you will get a few more frames with a 2500K but you will get a lot more frames with a better graphics card. I have tested a G530 which is slightly slower than the G620 and believe me at 1920x1080 it laughs at Ultra settings with a 7950 and the same can be said about medium setting with a low end card which I still use with it (5750)


Now you're full of shit. No nice way to say it.

http://www.techspot.com/review/305-starcraft2-performance/page10.html

That's a distinct CPU bottleneck.

There's ways you can see more improvement from GPU than CPU, but they require tests that don't reflect end-game scenarios. In any decent rig with a GPU intended for gaming, the CPU will hurt FPS before GPU.

With the plausible exception of horrendously designed custom maps with obscene amounts of custom stuff.
mahnini
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
United States6862 Posts
July 04 2012 01:24 GMT
#3405
On July 04 2012 08:33 LJ wrote:
what i was saying is that that cpu will not limit you in any way playing Starcraft 2, sure you will get a few more frames with a 2500K but you will get a lot more frames with a better graphics card. I have tested a G530 which is slightly slower than the G620 and believe me at 1920x1080 it laughs at Ultra settings with a 7950 and the same can be said about medium setting with a low end card which I still use with it (5750)

a g620 is definitely slow enough to bottleneck
the world's a playground. you know that when you're a kid, but somewhere along the way everyone forgets it.
RiSkysc2
Profile Joined September 2011
696 Posts
July 04 2012 04:05 GMT
#3406
Cable management. How important is it really?
Womwomwom
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
5930 Posts
July 04 2012 04:09 GMT
#3407
Not very. Not difficult to do anyway. Just use zip ties.
RiSkysc2
Profile Joined September 2011
696 Posts
July 04 2012 04:48 GMT
#3408
Follow up question, how important is airflow?
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
July 04 2012 05:51 GMT
#3409
On July 04 2012 13:48 Lineridarz wrote:
Follow up question, how important is airflow?

Depends on the application, right? It's usually not that important unless you have more specialized needs like needing to cool multiple graphics cards or trying to compete in overclocking / benchmarking records.

Most setups will do reasonable enough as to not cause problems for typical systems. You need to do something dumb like put a high-end non-reference video card in a case intended for low-power OEM systems with no graphics cards, or maybe live in a really hot country plus have some demanding hardware.
RiSkysc2
Profile Joined September 2011
696 Posts
July 04 2012 06:39 GMT
#3410
Thanks guys for answering my newbie questions!
DRTnOOber
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
New Zealand476 Posts
July 04 2012 08:42 GMT
#3411
Is the Brood War multiplayer ladder still active? If I buy the game now and download it, can I find online opponents fairly easily?
But I'm off creep... and so I slow down, what are hellions doing here? I don't belong here...
DrunkenHomer
Profile Joined April 2012
66 Posts
July 04 2012 09:04 GMT
#3412
hey guys,
i have lagg in sc2 when mass lings are on the field, but other 200/200 fight run without problems.
All graphic options are low, is there anything i can do about the mass ling problem?
Asukurra
Profile Joined June 2012
United Kingdom50 Posts
July 04 2012 12:21 GMT
#3413
+ Show Spoiler +
On July 02 2012 22:02 Asukurra wrote:
Hello all, this is a odd question and i have used the search function ect ect and searched many other forums for this and the question has been asked a good few many times but never fully answered by a mod or credibule source ect ect so i have the question and a responce from Bliz, can someone clear this up for me

The question: I won a MEKA G UNIT keyboard from the recent UK qualifiers, its a gaming keyboard with macro keys, and allows you to 'record' macros in real time by storing key strokes, as well as you telling it what to do, will i be able to use the 'recorded' macros to a key stroke, the Keyboard has a interfere action so you cant press 4 one after the other and all 4 go off at the same time ect.
Someone has mailed Bliz on this about using a macro to go 'select hatchs, Larvae, build zergling x 20' to one key and got this responce, Topic was from the Blizz forum that no mod replyed to.

http://img859.imageshack.us/i/blizzmacro.jpg/
for those who dont want or cant be bothered to look it says

"Thanks for contacting us. In refrence to your last contact about macros, we can advise you about the use of macros in Starcraft II are allowed, they are just a shortcut for some commands. Any programme that modified the game of allow you to play without being on your computer are not allowed."

This suggests to me that they are fine as you still have to be present to use the key strokes and only macros that allow you to not pay attention are forbidden, such as a timed loop or production loop

This would be for Ladder play only ect, the EULA isnt clear on it before you point me to it, it says (along the lines of) any 3rd party programme (the keyboard on-board macro memory) that directly alters or changes the game directly is forbidden and will be banned. Seeing as a 'recorded' macro key would be at a time you can physically do them at anyway wouldnt provide you with a unbeatable edge ect.

Any helpful replys would be appreachied, i will be Mailing Blizz myself tonight directly with the same info as above and see what they send to me and will re post if i get a responce


Hi all, as promiced, i have recived a respince from Blizz about Macro useage from Macro keyboards and they are allowed, here is the enitre question and answer from me to Blizz
+ Show Spoiler +

Anthony Mcloughlin





Ignore the title please, First off i find it very annoying that you can no longer just email a Blizz support member ect ect.Now to my point, Ive recently gained a ttesports MEKA G-unit keyboard and its a macro keyboard that allows you to record in real time key strokes to bind to a key, so not a instant use with 0ms between each stroke, Is this allowed to be used within SC2?Ive looked through the forums on here and many other websites and have not gained any insight to a answer, yout TOS and EULA are vague in regards to this, as the keyboard does not use 3rd party software according to your definement in the support page of the site as it does not intercept or alter any aspect of the game or its files and give no special advantages to me as a player or disadvantages to my opponent and does not modify anything, and the way in how this keyboard operates is a recorded set pattern so is at my typing speed but is activated with a single key instead of 3 An example of a recorded key on my keyboard

4sddd typed in real speed

I have not yet used my new keyboard yet as i'm away from my home computer, can i get a straight answer of yes or no please
Faithful fan
Asu

#1 7/3/2012 7:57 PM




Rabengeist
Customer Service Representative





Greetings—
Thank you for contacting Blizzard Support.

Firsty, the reason we have this new online system in place is so that Blizzard and the user can track all responses and add more information at any location they need. In certain cases, representatives can assign responses directly back to themselves. I am doing this and, unless you respond to me on my weekend, I will respond to you personally.

Second, the general rule of thumb is that if a keyboard can play back actions, it's fine. However, if it automates actions, it's cheating. Scripts = bad. Macros = good. It's no different than if you take your keyboard to a tournament. If you'd be kicked out for cheating there, it's no good with us, either.From what I'm reading about the keyboard, it's fine. We've approved other keyboards with similar stats, so it shouldn't be a problem.Thank you for your time

Seth N.

Customer ServicesBlizzard Entertainment
www.blizzard.com/support
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
July 04 2012 13:30 GMT
#3414
On July 04 2012 18:04 DrunkenHomer wrote:
hey guys,
i have lagg in sc2 when mass lings are on the field, but other 200/200 fight run without problems.
All graphic options are low, is there anything i can do about the mass ling problem?


You can overclock your CPU, or get a faster CPU. (Actually faster. Unless you're currently running a single core, getting more cores won't help that much.)

Alryk
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
United States2718 Posts
July 04 2012 19:54 GMT
#3415
Well I know SC2 ends up being CPU dependent, that's why I'm curious. And it's easy to find benchmarks for graphics, on places like Anandtech etc. but not so much on CPUs.

To elaborate a bit more, I'm actually looking at a laptop. I know that the graphics is capable of handling medium SC2 because I've seen benchmarks of it running high fine, but the CPU i'm not entirely certain. I'm looking at either an i5-3210m (should be easy) or an i3-3110m if something prevents me from getting the i5. The reason I'm asking about the pentium is because they share pretty much equal everything - the pentium clocks at 2.6ghz, the i3 at 2.4, same amount of L3 cache. I figure the difference of .2ghz will 1) be made up by ivy bridge architecture improvements, and 2) any deficiency still left not made up by that will not change the game from playable to unplayable.

So I'm wondering if a G620 can play SC2 on medium with relatively no frame loss... which I figure would be an easier question than asking about a random mobile CPU

If that's not a valid comparison, I guess it doesn't matter, and please let me know thanks in advance either way!
Team Liquid, IM, ViOlet!
Medrea
Profile Joined May 2011
10003 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-04 20:36:52
July 04 2012 20:36 GMT
#3416
Starcraft 2 lategame brings every processor ever made to under 60 FPS unless overclocks are considered, on low even.

So that question is hard to answer.
twitch.tv/medrea
Alryk
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
United States2718 Posts
July 04 2012 20:43 GMT
#3417
Well for me, >25fps looks smooth :p any idea if I can avoid those kinds of drops?

If I can do it except for the worst of teamgame situations, I can definitely live with it. Monobattles doesn't require much micro,

The only thing I really care about being super fluid is 1v1, because framerate drops can be a real pain. Do you think I'd be able to avoid too much trouble 1v1, or is it still too murky of a situation to really tell?
Team Liquid, IM, ViOlet!
Medrea
Profile Joined May 2011
10003 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-04 20:54:30
July 04 2012 20:53 GMT
#3418
Should be able to do 1v1 above 25 FPS except under lategame where i think 25 FPS is asking a bit much. Maybe someone who owns one can pitch in. TL doesnt usually suggest laptops for gaming at all and if you check the forums you will notice a huge amount of people having issues with laptops and gaming.

My typical MO is to suggest that you buy a cheap laptop or tablet for mobile productivity and a good mid range desktop rather than pour all the money into an expensive laptop.
twitch.tv/medrea
Alryk
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
United States2718 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-04 21:08:03
July 04 2012 21:05 GMT
#3419
Oh no I know. I have a much better desktop for gaming (Got it from y'all, TL ftw :D), I just need a laptop that looks nice and is built well and sturdy enough to handle college (I don't exactly drop my laptops, and I take care of them, but I don't trust my brother around them, he's broken plastic laptops easily enough lol)So I am getting something ultrabookish, and since I'm spending the money I figured I'd get a good laptop with a dGPU instead of one of the super expensive ultrabooks without one.

Plus, I won a few hundred bucks from mini LANs around town, and I figured that justified spending more money than I needed in order to enjoy some SC2 (when im on the go of course)

Of course, I wouldn't have known any of the above and probably would have just gotten a super expensive laptop without TL XD
Team Liquid, IM, ViOlet!
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
July 04 2012 21:19 GMT
#3420
Just get a non-ULV Ivy i5 with the integrated graphics. That should be enough for medium settings on middling fps (above 25, except in extreme scenarios). I guess if you can get something with GT 640M, then sure.

Some of those Ultrabook constructions don't look the most durable, but maybe my expectations are skewed by Thinkpad T / W series.
Prev 1 169 170 171 172 173 653 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
The PiG Daily
08:00
Best Games of SC
BASILISK vs T1
Maru vs Clem
Serral vs herO
Clem vs SHIN
PiGStarcraft309
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
07:00
Masters Cup #151: Group B
davetesta78
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
WinterStarcraft487
PiGStarcraft285
RuFF_SC2 205
SpeCial 82
StarCraft: Brood War
Leta 72
Hyuk 51
Stork 41
Bale 15
Icarus 7
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm186
Counter-Strike
taco 427
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox779
C9.Mang0323
Westballz27
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor625
Other Games
summit1g9678
Coldzera 806
JimRising 606
Sick118
ViBE76
ArmadaUGS38
Liquid`Ken7
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick758
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream107
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 106
• Letter148
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota240
League of Legends
• Lourlo1081
• Stunt305
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
5h 52m
Online Event
6h 52m
FEL
11h 52m
AI Arena Tournament
12h 52m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
14h 52m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 5h
INu's Battles
1d 7h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 14h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 14h
Replay Cast
1d 19h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.