• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:29
CEST 10:29
KST 17:29
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)54Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7822 users

Computer Build Resource Thread - Page 558

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
Prev 1 556 557 558 559 560 1626 Next
When using this resource, please read FragKrag's opening post. The Tech Support forum regulars have helped create countless of desktop systems without any compensation. The least you can do is provide all of the information required for them to help you properly.
Shew
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States460 Posts
September 13 2011 04:26 GMT
#11141
On September 13 2011 11:47 Myrmidon wrote:
Uh, part of the savings was from getting Windows for cheaper than $100 (like $30 or less), through your *.edu account or through school.

The other part of the savings was, say, getting the HCG520 or similar instead of overpaying on stuff like the HCG620.


ah yeah I can buy windows 7 ultimate for like 20 bucks thank you.

and I'll switch around the power supply, thank you for all the help.



i can't find my mouse to buy tho!! can't find a steelseries kinzu anywhere
http://www.twitch.tv/shew_tv | @ClarityShew on Twitter~
kunstderfugue
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Mexico375 Posts
September 13 2011 04:32 GMT
#11142
You can try the Razer Abyssus, It is very similar and without mouse acceleration.
Old lamps for new!
aidnai
Profile Joined January 2010
United States1159 Posts
September 13 2011 04:35 GMT
#11143
one of the more notable newegg shell shocker deals i've seen recently:
60GB OCZ Solid III for $60 after rebate, $85 without the mir (normally runs for $130-150). It's a SATA 6GB/s SSD, and for $1/GB I don't really see how you can go wrong...
Shew
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States460 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-13 04:45:25
September 13 2011 04:39 GMT
#11144
On September 13 2011 13:32 kunstderfugue wrote:
You can try the Razer Abyssus, It is very similar and without mouse acceleration.


i could but i've been using steelseries keyboard mousepad etc for a while now and i don't like clashing brands haha, steelseries this razer that




edit: also the reason i switched to steelseries is because I wasn't a fan of having to install drivers for my razer mice previously every single time I went to a new computer. I go to different machines often (tournaments LANs etc), and I don't wanna have to install driver, restart the comp, etc every time. Steelseries kinzu it was just download it once then it's perma saved on the mouse
http://www.twitch.tv/shew_tv | @ClarityShew on Twitter~
Divergence
Profile Joined July 2011
Canada363 Posts
September 13 2011 05:27 GMT
#11145
Anyone have recommendations for a 24" TN monitor (for gaming of course)?
Womwomwom
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
5930 Posts
September 13 2011 07:10 GMT
#11146
Pretty much any will do but most people just go with the ASUS VE248Q.
nihlon
Profile Joined April 2010
Sweden5581 Posts
September 13 2011 14:21 GMT
#11147
Let the publicity stunts begin!
Banelings are too cute to blow up
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
September 13 2011 14:32 GMT
#11148
Lol, not running benchies, just seeing what they can get in CPU-Z. Kingpin must be laughing his ass off right now.
PurpleStop
Profile Joined August 2011
United States11 Posts
September 13 2011 14:41 GMT
#11149
What is your budget?

+ Show Spoiler +
I currently have $600 USD cash that needs to be spent on a computer. Thus I plan on purchasing all my parts at Microcenter unless I can save $100 buying parts online.

Ideally I would Like to stay closer to $500

I can get windows from a .edu account and does not need to be included. I will use my current monitor.


What is your resolution?

+ Show Spoiler +
I don't know its not too important, whatever is normal.


What are you using it for?

+ Show Spoiler +
Gaming, Photoshop, Webdesign and minor movie editing.


What is your upgrade cycle?

+ Show Spoiler +
around 2 years


When do you plan on building it?

+ Show Spoiler +
I plan on purchasing the parts today or tomorrow.


Do you plan on overclocking?

+ Show Spoiler +
Not unless you think I should


Do you need an Operating System?

No

Do you plan to add a second GPU for SLI or Crossfire?

No

Where are you buying your parts from?

Microcenter


Thank you guys for all your help.
"The only thing greater than man... is money"
MisterFred
Profile Joined October 2010
United States2033 Posts
September 13 2011 15:15 GMT
#11150
@Purplestop

Let us know what your current monitor's native resolution is. If you don't know that, at least post your current monitor's model #.
"The victor? Not the highest scoring, nor the best strategist, nor the best tactitian. The victor was he that was closest to the Tao of FFA." -.Praetor
PurpleStop
Profile Joined August 2011
United States11 Posts
September 13 2011 15:22 GMT
#11151
It is an Envision, Product name EN7220

It is currently running at 1208 x 1024

Now that I think about it I may just decided to buy another monitor so I can continue to use my current computer as well.

I could probably find some more money. However, I do not mind playing Starcraft 2 on lower settings as long as it runs smooth.
"The only thing greater than man... is money"
Shew
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States460 Posts
September 13 2011 15:23 GMT
#11152
Final build! Just wanna get the okay before I order it


Opticaldrive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204
Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112218
Hdd: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185
Vid card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102948
Psu: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371047
Ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428
Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128486
Cpu: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115076
Monitor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009256


what's the verdict? and thank you all for the help! <3
http://www.twitch.tv/shew_tv | @ClarityShew on Twitter~
Shikyo
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Finland33997 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-13 15:34:50
September 13 2011 15:29 GMT
#11153
mobo: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0366104 50$

CPU: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0325874 120$

RAM: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0345812 23$ (x2 if you want 8gb of ram instead of 4gb

GPU: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0364079 180$

Microcenter doesn't have the nice Samsung spinpoint 1TB HDDs it seems, I guess if you don't really care about storage space I'd get:
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0340804 45$
though I'd recommend:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185 60$

PSU: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0348766 56$

Do you need a case? If so, I'd just simply suggest:

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0283272 44.40$

Total cost adds up to around 474$ without a case which I guess is all right, with case it's around 518.40. The power supply is 80+ Bronze and the case is very good. Should run SC2 on ultra effortlessly, for instance. You'll need to add 20$ if you want a DVD RW drive, though.

EDIT: If you only run at 1280x1024 you could consider http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0364644 for your GPU, it's at 115$ after rebate so you're saving 65$. If you plan on running the standard 1920x1080 HD I'd still get the 6870.
League of Legends EU West, Platinum III | Yousei Teikoku is the best thing that has ever happened to music.
aidnai
Profile Joined January 2010
United States1159 Posts
September 13 2011 15:34 GMT
#11154
On September 14 2011 00:23 Shew wrote:
Final build! Just wanna get the okay before I order it


Opticaldrive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204
Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112218
Hdd: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185
Vid card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102948
Psu: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371047
Ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428
Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128486
Cpu: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115076
Monitor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009256


what's the verdict? and thank you all for the help! <3


You'll need a bigger/higher res monitor to put your GPU to good use.
CharlieBrownsc
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Canada598 Posts
September 13 2011 15:34 GMT
#11155
On September 14 2011 00:23 Shew wrote:
Final build! Just wanna get the okay before I order it


Opticaldrive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204
Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112218
Hdd: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185
Vid card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102948
Psu: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371047
Ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428
Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128486
Cpu: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115076
Monitor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009256


what's the verdict? and thank you all for the help! <3


RAM is too expensive, you could get 1333mhz for about $40, which will make almost no difference

I personally don't like the idea of spending more than 40-50$ on a case for a computer of that performance, but whatever floats your boat I guess

That's awfully expensive for an H61 mobo, unless you're really planning on using the extra connectivity (which it doesn't appear you are), you can find one for about $20 dollars cheaper that will do just fine
SC2 ID: CharlieBrown.318, #1 bitbybit.Prime fan
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-13 15:38:13
September 13 2011 15:34 GMT
#11156
On September 14 2011 00:23 Shew wrote:
Final build! Just wanna get the okay before I order it


Opticaldrive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204
Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112218
Hdd: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185
Vid card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102948
Psu: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371047
Ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428
Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128486
Cpu: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115076
Monitor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009256


what's the verdict? and thank you all for the help! <3


Upgrade the CPU to a i5-2400 (really, it's only $5 more for 300 MHz) and get cheaper RAM.

Actually, you can save on both with a combo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.723633

Personally I'd prefer a larger monitor, probably 1080p too, but if that size works for you it's fine.

edit: agreed above about the motherboard. Missed that. AsRock H61 U3S3 has mostly the same features except has two SATA3 ports too, and it's $20 cheaper. Okay, the Gigabyte has a higher-end onboard Realtek audio chip, but you're not going to be using that I think...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157236
Shikyo
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Finland33997 Posts
September 13 2011 15:43 GMT
#11157
On September 14 2011 00:23 Shew wrote:
Final build! Just wanna get the okay before I order it


Opticaldrive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204
Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112218
Hdd: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185
Vid card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102948
Psu: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371047
Ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231428
Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128486
Cpu: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115076
Monitor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009256


what's the verdict? and thank you all for the help! <3

I don't think your CPU makes much sense, I'd either get a i2400 for almost the same price, or just 2500k. That being said, I don't think the i5 2300 - 2400 etc. are as cost-effective as AMD CPUs and I'd just get a cheaper AMD CPU and mobo and save myself 50$. My would be is that you either get 2500k or just buy a 40$ cheaper mobo and maybe 20$ cheaper CPU as well for AMD. With the money saved you can then get a 6950 if you want to.
League of Legends EU West, Platinum III | Yousei Teikoku is the best thing that has ever happened to music.
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-13 15:50:26
September 13 2011 15:48 GMT
#11158
Uhm, so go AMD, get a massively worse CPU, spend more on the motherboard, end up saving $10-15, and getting ~25-30% worse performance in tasks the AMD does well at. Good idea.

I agree, 2400 is better than 2300, but AMD sucks right now, and isn't looking to get any better, sadly.

If you want a mobo that's safe for running the recent Ph2 CPUs, you aren't paying less than you would for a reasonable H61 or H67 board.
PurpleStop
Profile Joined August 2011
United States11 Posts
September 13 2011 15:49 GMT
#11159
mobo: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0366104 50$
CPU: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0325874 120$
RAM: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0345812 23$
GPU: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0364079 180$
HD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185 60$
PSU: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0348766 56$
Case: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0283272 44.40$

This is the current build are their any recommendations where I could get some added bang for my buck by purchasing through newegg or upgrading any part?

Should I get two 4gb ram?

Thanks
"The only thing greater than man... is money"
Legatus Lanius
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
2135 Posts
September 13 2011 15:54 GMT
#11160
On September 14 2011 00:48 JingleHell wrote:
Uhm, so go AMD, get a massively worse CPU, spend more on the motherboard, end up saving $10-15, and getting ~25-30% worse performance in tasks the AMD does well at. Good idea.

I agree, 2400 is better than 2300, but AMD sucks right now, and isn't looking to get any better, sadly.

If you want a mobo that's safe for running the recent Ph2 CPUs, you aren't paying less than you would for a reasonable H61 or H67 board.


bulldozer is going to claim lives my friend
"He's the Triple H of Brood War." - Ribbon on Flash | "He's more like the John Cena of Brood War." - Aus)MaCrO on Flash
Prev 1 556 557 558 559 560 1626 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 4h 31m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Hyuk 887
firebathero 869
actioN 372
Leta 107
Dewaltoss 92
Killer 55
soO 46
Bale 24
Aegong 22
Hm[arnc] 21
[ Show more ]
Sharp 14
Dota 2
Fuzer 114
League of Legends
JimRising 474
Counter-Strike
byalli490
shoxiejesuss468
kRYSTAL_5
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor920
Other Games
summit1g9704
singsing1082
olofmeister980
ceh9573
Mew2King94
ArmadaUGS43
trigger13
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream160
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 14
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2338
League of Legends
• Rush1223
• Stunt433
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
4h 31m
OSC
13h 31m
CranKy Ducklings
1d 1h
Online Event
1d 2h
FEL
1d 7h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 8h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 10h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.