• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:51
CEST 16:51
KST 23:51
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon108
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Where can I find Flash replays that work? Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8501 users

[Guide] Boosting your FPS. Easy steps. - Page 4

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All
JeepAss
Profile Joined April 2010
Poland39 Posts
April 25 2010 19:34 GMT
#61
does anyone know how to switch off portraits on patch 9/10 ? i had them switched off in patch 8 and it worked by changing it in the way that the topic crateor said.

anyone knows how to switch off it now ?
Stanley Kowalski: I am not a Pollack. People from Poland are Poles. They are not Pollacks. But what I am is one hundred percent American. I'm born and raised in the greatest country on this earth and I'm proud of it. And don't you ever call me a Pollack.
sutureself
Profile Blog Joined September 2005
United States192 Posts
April 25 2010 19:57 GMT
#62
On April 26 2010 04:34 JeepAss wrote:
does anyone know how to switch off portraits on patch 9/10 ? i had them switched off in patch 8 and it worked by changing it in the way that the topic crateor said.

anyone knows how to switch off it now ?


Hmmm, I just applied some of his tactics today, with the latest patch, and everything worked fine. Maybe you just need to go back into the .txt file and do it again since the new patch was applied?
Im tired of following my dreams, man. Im just going to ask them where theyre going and hook up with them later. -mh
Latham
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
9592 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-25 20:32:03
April 25 2010 20:31 GMT
#63
Argh, I wanted this to work so much. I wanted Shaders higher. Unfortunetely, I can't have shaders on medium =(. It litterally devours my fps. I have everything set to low or off expect for: Models which are set to high, textures are set to high, and unit portraits which are 3D. Like this I get around 90-120 fps and around 60-70 in big late game battles.

When I turn portraits off and put shaders on medium my fps pummels to 30-40 LOL =(. Anyway, with shaders set to medium, the whole thing looks soooo much more grainy, like a bad movie. I already got used to seeing crystal clear with shaders set to low.
For the curse of life is the curse of want. PC = https://be.pcpartpicker.com/user/LathamTK/builds/#view=CrqmP6
landaishan
Profile Joined March 2010
Australia104 Posts
April 25 2010 21:09 GMT
#64
On April 25 2010 01:41 USn wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 22 2010 21:26 Dankmids wrote:
FPS:24-45 average, hardly ever goes below 24


Wow, that would be totally unacceptable to me O_O

that would be totally unacceptable to me too O_O
courage mateship sacrifice endurance
bull0563
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
112 Posts
April 25 2010 23:09 GMT
#65
so since patch nine the game is more resource intensive?
I suddenly have fps dropping
JeepAss
Profile Joined April 2010
Poland39 Posts
April 26 2010 08:14 GMT
#66
yes the game is more resource intensive. i have fps dropping also because of this portraits witch i can't switch off...
Stanley Kowalski: I am not a Pollack. People from Poland are Poles. They are not Pollacks. But what I am is one hundred percent American. I'm born and raised in the greatest country on this earth and I'm proud of it. And don't you ever call me a Pollack.
Dr.Frost
Profile Joined April 2009
United States389 Posts
April 26 2010 08:16 GMT
#67
Do these settings also work out on 1920 x 1080 resolution?
They are here to right our fall, they have heard someones troubled call???
Spec
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Taiwan931 Posts
April 27 2010 02:46 GMT
#68
Thank you very much for the post... I seriousily don't understand all these complications, kind of a step back from good'ol bw.
Eye for an eye make the world go blind - Gandhi
ZapRoffo
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States5544 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-27 10:34:16
April 27 2010 10:28 GMT
#69
There is an option in the variables folder called preBlendedCreep, that if you set to 1, changes creep with medium shaders to look like it does with low, not moving or shiny, and makes it a bit shadowy and darker. This added about 15 FPS for me in zerg bases when on medium shaders, putting me from about 30FPS to 45. It's also less distracting to look at, so I like it a lot.

The problem I have when I try to go up to medium shaders (cause I mean, I do want stuff to look cool) the first time I see something, the game slows down a lot, but then it seems able to handle stuff ok. Like I sent a scout into a terran base, and the instant I got vision on 4 buildings and a marine shooting at me I dropped to about 5 fps for 2 seconds or so, then went back. Then I alt-tabbed to type this, when I went back to sc2 window, when I moused over the fogged terran base, I lagged again seeing the buildings, but then could scroll back to the buildings and be fine. It's not playable though, I guess my machine is just not playable on medium shaders, sigh.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, your opinion man
rbkl
Profile Joined March 2010
772 Posts
April 27 2010 12:10 GMT
#70
Feel bad for you, your rig is AMAZING... 6 years ago.
www.check6gaming.com // www.iugaming.com ** Indiana's Premier Gaming / Starcraft Community **
bh.
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
United States342 Posts
April 28 2010 06:00 GMT
#71
so im trying to get portraits off for my friend who wants to run on old laptop, was there any discovery in how to turn off the portrait in the new patch?
Werezerg
Profile Joined June 2008
Germany62 Posts
April 28 2010 06:39 GMT
#72
well a lot of the entrys you talk about do not exist in my txt.
like preblendedcreep, portraitsOff, or the framerate stuff... maybe its only in the us version.
bh.
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
United States342 Posts
April 28 2010 07:53 GMT
#73
i actually had the same thing werezerg, i had the options, and then i told my friend to reinstall and with new patch many of the lines do not exist any more
go4it
Profile Joined March 2010
Croatia91 Posts
April 28 2010 08:34 GMT
#74
Guys, just cre8 line, write them manually.
Tiler
Profile Joined March 2010
Russian Federation79 Posts
April 28 2010 12:50 GMT
#75
Guys, if you want to change 'Video options' from Variables.txt you can use SC2Tools v0.98.5 program Download
thingstuff
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada4 Posts
April 28 2010 13:32 GMT
#76
Thanks, this is very useful for someone with an obsolete rig like mine!

(single core AMD processor, GeForce 9800 GT, 2 gb ddr1)
SkyTheUnknown
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
Germany2065 Posts
April 28 2010 13:40 GMT
#77
Can someone please clarify how to do these settings with the new patch.
As far as I see a lot of these entrys are not there anymore. It is possible to put them in manually like go4it claims? Has anyone tried this before and it worked fine?
I tried the settings from the OP but with shaders on my FPS are too low (~30) with a 2010 MBP.
So I did some very low setting profile and now my FPS are around 80 to 100. Way too much lol.
The entry for capping the FPS is not there anymore so I can't optimize it for 60 FPS

I think we should update this thread regularly in the first post - it has huge potential.
Thanks to the OP.
The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown - H.P. Lovecraft
PanzerDragoon
Profile Joined March 2010
United States822 Posts
April 28 2010 13:51 GMT
#78
The shadows don't get turned off by the variables text. They are stuck on medium for me.

Also, this runs great for me in game but stutters like hell in replays when I get to 6 x Faster.
go4it
Profile Joined March 2010
Croatia91 Posts
April 28 2010 22:40 GMT
#79
On April 28 2010 21:50 Tiler wrote:
Guys, if you want to change 'Video options' from Variables.txt you can use SC2Tools v0.98.5 program Download



Is this working? Can you rise youre fps with this program?
z]Benny
Profile Joined April 2006
Romania253 Posts
April 28 2010 22:43 GMT
#80
I can't find this

"portraits3d=0 (no 3d portraits)
portraitsOff=1 (Portraits off)"

Am i supposed to add those?
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 9h 9m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech141
Codebar 16
StarCraft: Brood War
EffOrt 1276
Mini 936
Soma 648
actioN 442
Rush 435
Light 343
Horang2 341
Larva 314
BeSt 291
hero 262
[ Show more ]
Snow 257
Stork 255
ggaemo 224
Barracks 138
firebathero 128
Killer 122
Zeus 98
Aegong 78
Shine 72
Mong 71
JYJ 62
Dewaltoss 52
Sharp 40
ToSsGirL 38
Shinee 37
soO 34
Sexy 32
Bale 28
sorry 16
Terrorterran 16
zelot 16
Rock 15
Sacsri 14
Icarus 9
JulyZerg 8
Dota 2
Gorgc7680
qojqva1759
Dendi707
420jenkins110
Counter-Strike
Fnx 710
x6flipin89
kRYSTAL_71
edward22
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes5270
Khaldor513
Other Games
gofns44522
singsing1676
B2W.Neo894
byalli519
Lowko414
DeMusliM225
mouzStarbuck184
Liquid`VortiX165
Mlord155
Livibee153
KnowMe137
ArmadaUGS128
Railgan16
Chillindude16
Trikslyr14
amsayoshi12
Organizations
Other Games
WardiTV270
BasetradeTV194
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream179
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 79
• mYiSmile114
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 26
• FirePhoenix10
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV400
League of Legends
• Nemesis2071
• Jankos1746
• TFBlade608
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
9h 9m
Kung Fu Cup
20h 9m
The PondCast
1d 19h
OSC
1d 22h
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.