• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 17:36
CEST 23:36
KST 06:36
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon110
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 11427 users

[T] what could replace macro with MBS? - Page 11

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 9 10 11 12 13 16 Next All
Klockan3
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
Sweden2866 Posts
July 04 2008 12:07 GMT
#201
On July 04 2008 20:51 FrozenArbiter wrote:
I liked SC even without MBS when I started as a total noob...

Still a lot of players stuck with the far inferior cnc series just because of issues like these. That and limited money, which explains the love for BGH.
maybenexttime
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
Poland5869 Posts
July 04 2008 12:08 GMT
#202
The funny thing is that they way MBS is currently implemented does not help the casuals at all - they still have to click a lot. ;;
Liquid`Jinro
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
Sweden33719 Posts
July 04 2008 12:11 GMT
#203
Uh... I think if we ignore the fact that I'm sure a lot of people simply liked the CnC games on their own merit (it's a series with a lot of history after all, even though I've never really played them a lot) I'd say that SC did pretty damn well for itself. If SC2 could have the same comparative success as SC1 (since everything is bigger now, I'm assuming it's gonna do better in terms of raw numbers) I'd be happy.

The (comparatively) few who can't accept that MBS isn't in the game, oh well.. It's not like we are taking the Sc1 UI and slapping it onto SC2. There's still unlimited unit selection, smartcasting, and probably MBS for rallypoints at least.
Moderatortell the guy that interplanatar interaction is pivotal to terrans variety of optionitudals in the pre-midgame preperatories as well as the protosstinal deterriggation of elite zergling strikes - Stimey n | Formerly FrozenArbiter
maybenexttime
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
Poland5869 Posts
July 04 2008 12:19 GMT
#204
I'm sure most casual players would be satisfied with MBS as a means of focus firing with defensive structures and mass rallying. They don't even know how to abuse MBS in order not to pay attention to your base too much: the hot keys.
Unentschieden
Profile Joined August 2007
Germany1471 Posts
July 04 2008 12:20 GMT
#205
On July 04 2008 16:28 IdrA wrote:
you are the one arguing economics because you cant argue that mbs will make it a better game


Shure I can. SBS by the mechanic itself serves to make the game clunkier to play. It intentionally keeps the players effectivness down. It´s a games issue if a too effective player breaks it, Blizzard has to find a solution to that. It´s the process of making a good game.

You have a point when you are concerned about competative value of the game. But that doesn´t rely on SBS or MBS. Why wouldn´t the game be competative with a better interface?
MrRammstein
Profile Joined May 2008
Poland339 Posts
July 04 2008 12:26 GMT
#206
On July 04 2008 21:11 FrozenArbiter wrote:
Uh... I think if we ignore the fact that I'm sure a lot of people simply liked the CnC games on their own merit (it's a series with a lot of history after all, even though I've never really played them a lot) I'd say that SC did pretty damn well for itself. If SC2 could have the same comparative success as SC1 (since everything is bigger now, I'm assuming it's gonna do better in terms of raw numbers) I'd be happy.

The (comparatively) few who can't accept that MBS isn't in the game, oh well.. It's not like we are taking the Sc1 UI and slapping it onto SC2. There's still unlimited unit selection, smartcasting, and probably MBS for rallypoints at least.


You know how to warm my heart when cold wind blows <3

Well... assuming current pros' APM of 300-400 is spam in a pretty much big part, doing something like Blinging infantry to death or walling someone's units on a ramp with Force Field instead will do x)
account abandoned:P RIP
Unentschieden
Profile Joined August 2007
Germany1471 Posts
July 04 2008 12:28 GMT
#207
On July 04 2008 21:11 FrozenArbiter wrote:
The (comparatively) few who can't accept that MBS isn't in the game, oh well..


Did I miss something? MBS IS in the game and they are trying their best to implement it in a way that makes everyone happy.
The changeling is actually a example of that. It forces you to have a eye "everywhere" since even with detection you can´t leave defense to your units.
Liquid`Jinro
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
Sweden33719 Posts
July 04 2008 12:30 GMT
#208
I'm speaking hypothetically. Yes MBS is currently in the game.

And the changeling is not significant enough in anyway It's not a bad unit but it's not comparable in importance hehe

Moderatortell the guy that interplanatar interaction is pivotal to terrans variety of optionitudals in the pre-midgame preperatories as well as the protosstinal deterriggation of elite zergling strikes - Stimey n | Formerly FrozenArbiter
Unentschieden
Profile Joined August 2007
Germany1471 Posts
July 04 2008 12:46 GMT
#209
Well, what does make MBS so important? Multitasking is fine but I didn´t enjoy being intentionally hindered by the User interface in SC.

WC3 was more compfortable even though MBS didn´t change all that much. But in the few situations where you could use it it was handy, like focus firing Towers.

Also note that I said "like" the changeling. It´s more or less a gimick unit, fun but hardly gamedeciding. The thing is that it´s part of the whole picture.

No one ever argued that the SBS mechanic in itself would be fun - because it isn´t. It´s always argued as the cause for the actuall advantage: The need to multitask. But why should we rely on SBS for Multitasking if SBS isn´t fun?
Liquid`Jinro
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
Sweden33719 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-07-04 12:56:18
July 04 2008 12:56 GMT
#210
I think SBS is fun..

And as I said, I'm in favour of MBS being in place for things like rally points or focus firing, hell, I might even be in favour of letting you drag select multiple buildings but being unable to build from them if you hotkey them (I dunno, it sounds contrived, there might be a more elegant solution).
Moderatortell the guy that interplanatar interaction is pivotal to terrans variety of optionitudals in the pre-midgame preperatories as well as the protosstinal deterriggation of elite zergling strikes - Stimey n | Formerly FrozenArbiter
MrRammstein
Profile Joined May 2008
Poland339 Posts
July 04 2008 12:57 GMT
#211
Blizzard release beta faster or we will start killing ourselves because of theorycrafting.
I already need to listen to faster paced music.
account abandoned:P RIP
maybenexttime
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
Poland5869 Posts
July 04 2008 13:14 GMT
#212
On July 04 2008 21:56 FrozenArbiter wrote:
I think SBS is fun..

And as I said, I'm in favour of MBS being in place for things like rally points or focus firing, hell, I might even be in favour of letting you drag select multiple buildings but being unable to build from them if you hotkey them (I dunno, it sounds contrived, there might be a more elegant solution).


QFT.

We just want multi-tasking (between micro and macro, because between micro and micro is not as hard, and requires less experience), macro-management, etc. to be equally important.

We don't want SBS for the sake of clicking. It's one should gain an advantage by being great at multi-tasking, gameplay should revolve/allow for "babysitting" your army like WC3. You should be forced to manage your attention well in order to excell.
Unentschieden
Profile Joined August 2007
Germany1471 Posts
July 04 2008 13:25 GMT
#213
On July 04 2008 22:14 maybenexttime wrote: You should be forced to manage your attention well in order to excell.


Make that "You should be encouraged to manage your attention perfectly to excell" and were good.
maybenexttime
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
Poland5869 Posts
July 04 2008 13:34 GMT
#214
That's what I meant (that you can't excell unless you manage your attention well).
MrRammstein
Profile Joined May 2008
Poland339 Posts
July 04 2008 13:40 GMT
#215
And there peace and love began in community; YES!!!

Guys better check latest update delivered by Trollbone!
account abandoned:P RIP
Unentschieden
Profile Joined August 2007
Germany1471 Posts
July 04 2008 13:47 GMT
#216
My problem is that youre already forced to manage your attention well (+2 weeks practice minimum) to play at all.
Multitasking should be a req. to be good, not to play the game itself. In SC you autolose because your economy collapses without you supervising it.

Well, what would you want to be the "minimum" requirements for the player not his computer to play it? Imagine it as system requirements just for Players. How much game hours of experimenting? How much APM, before he is "lagfree"?
MrRammstein
Profile Joined May 2008
Poland339 Posts
July 04 2008 13:50 GMT
#217
Dude since it's about changing people's opinions it leads to nowhere :/
Points of view presented, let's stay with that?
account abandoned:P RIP
Unentschieden
Profile Joined August 2007
Germany1471 Posts
July 04 2008 13:57 GMT
#218
On July 04 2008 22:50 MrRammstein wrote:
Dude since it's about changing people's opinions it leads to nowhere :/
Points of view presented, let's stay with that?


But arguing is so much fun!

Heh, it´s fine. I just can´t agree with the concept that SBS is so essential to SC even though it´s only purpose is to hinder the player. I don´t expect anyone to change his opinion just because I said so. The Beta will do that. Or in the latest case the hands on presentations of the Alpha.
maybenexttime
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
Poland5869 Posts
July 04 2008 14:13 GMT
#219
I'm not saying SBS is essential. I'm for limited MBS, or Blizzard introducing some multi-tasking-heavy macro-mechanics. So far they were unable to design any of those, but at least they're heading the right direction.
Liquid`Jinro
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
Sweden33719 Posts
July 04 2008 14:14 GMT
#220
On July 04 2008 22:47 Unentschieden wrote:
My problem is that youre already forced to manage your attention well (+2 weeks practice minimum) to play at all.
Multitasking should be a req. to be good, not to play the game itself. In SC you autolose because your economy collapses without you supervising it.

Well, what would you want to be the "minimum" requirements for the player not his computer to play it? Imagine it as system requirements just for Players. How much game hours of experimenting? How much APM, before he is "lagfree"?

Bullshit, I loved SC as much when I sucked as I do now.

The reason that NOW it's sooooooo hard for beginners to get into the game is that it's 10 years old!! With SC2 you'll have a ton of "What's an SCV?" people to play with.
Moderatortell the guy that interplanatar interaction is pivotal to terrans variety of optionitudals in the pre-midgame preperatories as well as the protosstinal deterriggation of elite zergling strikes - Stimey n | Formerly FrozenArbiter
Prev 1 9 10 11 12 13 16 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 24m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SpeCial 70
JuggernautJason60
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 596
firebathero 84
Zeus 65
910 30
Dota 2
monkeys_forever412
League of Legends
JimRising 252
Super Smash Bros
ArmadaUGS102
PPMD10
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5092
Liquid`Hasu1886
Other Games
summit1g6315
shahzam470
byalli373
C9.Mang0165
UpATreeSC75
Trikslyr37
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV221
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream132
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 90
• Adnapsc2 17
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 48
• Azhi_Dahaki28
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
2h 24m
Kung Fu Cup
13h 24m
Stellar Fest
15h 24m
The PondCast
1d 12h
OSC
1d 15h
Stellar Fest
1d 15h
OSC
2 days
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
[ Show More ]
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.