• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:22
CEST 01:22
KST 08:22
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site Bot on ladder BW General Discussion BSL Season 23
Tourneys
2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8615 users

[TSL7] Shopify TSL 7 - Thanks, and a recap

Forum Index > SC2 General
21 CommentsPost a Reply
1 2 Next All
SeaGnome
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States32 Posts
June 30 2021 16:53 GMT
#1
TSL7 Logo



Hello everyone! I wanted to make one final wrap up post for TSL 7 to tie things all together.

First, an enormous thank you to all of you who watched, to all of our amazing commentators for casting, to the players who fought tooth and nail to win, and of course to our sponsors - Shopify, IMC Trading, Secretlab, and Twitch. If even one of those components is missing, it makes it impossible to run an event like TSL, and it’s gratifying to see each of these parts lift the others up. And an extra shoutout to our winner, + Show Spoiler +

Trap!


Replays

All of the replays can be found here!

Learnings

Tournament Size, Format, and Schedule
+ Show Spoiler +
I think all of the above for TSL 7 were fairly solid, but I did see a healthy amount of feedback wishing for more players. I think that’s worth exploring, and some kind of transition to a 24 or 32 player scale might be feasible with the time we have to work with. For the format, I like a “pure” double elimination or single elimination, and would also be happy with Groups, if it made sense. The hybrid format used for TSL 6 doesn’t jive very well with me, though, so I intend to avoid that kind of approach. As for the schedule, I’ll remind everyone that we’re working around as many other EPT events as we can, so the availability for a multi-weekend event like TSL can be a challenge. I’ve got a few ideas on how to best address all of these changes simultaneously, but I don’t want to promise anything before we make the big TSL 8 announcement, which is coming “soon”.


VODs
+ Show Spoiler +
Though the VODs are available on Twitch and are going up on YouTube starting later today early next week, it’s clear to me that our process here needs work. We’ll have a more defined plan for future TSLs, with a more timely schedule to stick to.


Switch to ESL_SC2
+ Show Spoiler +
I realize that this switch was a risk, and it seems like we ended up with pretty similar viewership to what we were expecting. We don’t plan on doing this again in the future, and only considered this approach because of the scheduling conflicts with the Team Liquid Pride streams. The delay on Saturday was unfortunate, and I spent most of the time that morning trying to coordinate with ESL’s broadcast team for the hand over, but by the time we were able to get that moving, it made more sense to wait for their stream to close out.


Time zones and Viewership
+ Show Spoiler +
Time zones are always a tricky thing to navigate for online tournaments that span multiple continents, and I hate that we have to choose between remotely playable times for Korea and viewership in the Americas- and let’s be honest here, it’s not reasonable to ask a player to play multiple Bo7s starting at 2 AM. This is something we’ll have to continue looking into for the best possible options, but in my mind it boils down to a handful of options:
  1. Do what we did this time, and risk missing out on significant English-language viewership from the Americas (and risk unreasonable times for some of our players)
  2. Cast some/potentially many games off replays, to align with audiences (and risk viewers and fans being frustrated at it not being live)
  3. Have a live event (this increases our event costs by a LOT)

    I think each of these solutions has a time and place where they make sense. It’s something for us to think about moving forward.

General Operational Learnings
+ Show Spoiler +
There’s always some things lost in the handoff for events, but I’m happy to say that the majority of problems that arose were caught before they affected the event. For TSL 8, we’ll be defining some of the more nebulous things more concretely, so we have clearer owners for things like our social media coverage, liquipedia updates, VOD process, and a few other things that are less visible.


Contests
Now that TSL 7 is all wrapped up, so too have our contests. I’m happy to award the Secretlab chair to conormcgregor156, who submitted the question of “You went from losing many finals in a row to winning all the ones you play, what do you think changed in you?” to Trap. I'll be in touch shortly!

For True or False, everyone should have been sent their links to Liquid+ for the points, and we'll be contacting the 10 winners who tied for 9 points to get their store credit squared away too!

As part of the prizing, we’ve also notified Dark to expect his extra $1,000 for winning the fastest game of TSL 7.

Speaking of fast games, our friends at IMC Trading were curious about everyone's favorite fast game of TSL:

Poll: What was your favorite fast game of TSL 7?

Dark vs Reynor on 2000 Atmospheres (3:13) (44)
 
65%

MaxPax vs Zoun on Beckett Industries (3:22) (12)
 
18%

Cure vs SpeCial on Lightshade (4:55) (6)
 
9%

Zest vs Trap on LIghtshade (4:56) (6)
 
9%

68 total votes

Your vote: What was your favorite fast game of TSL 7?

(Vote): Dark vs Reynor on 2000 Atmospheres (3:13)
(Vote): MaxPax vs Zoun on Beckett Industries (3:22)
(Vote): Cure vs SpeCial on Lightshade (4:55)
(Vote): Zest vs Trap on LIghtshade (4:56)




Facebook Twitter Reddit
sneakyfox
Profile Joined January 2017
8218 Posts
June 30 2021 20:05 GMT
#2
Thank you for great event! Thoroughly enjoyed it.

I hate that we have to choose between remotely playable times for Korea and viewership in the Americas- and let’s be honest here, it’s not reasonable to ask a player to play multiple Bo7s starting at 2 AM.


It's very nice to see this kind of frankness from the organisers. Kudos!
"I saw what sneakyfox wrote on TL.net and it made me furious" - PartinG
Sprog
Profile Joined April 2010
New Zealand83 Posts
June 30 2021 20:31 GMT
#3
That was a sweet TSL, thanks everyone!
sneakyfox
Profile Joined January 2017
8218 Posts
July 02 2021 14:17 GMT
#4
Shouldn't this be community news btw?
"I saw what sneakyfox wrote on TL.net and it made me furious" - PartinG
Durnuu
Profile Joined September 2013
13326 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-07-02 15:31:34
July 02 2021 15:31 GMT
#5
So I'm part of the 10 Elites who won the true or false, eh? Thank Mister TLO
BUNNYYYYYYYYY https://i.imgur.com/BiCF577.png
buzz_bender
Profile Joined August 2019
446 Posts
July 02 2021 15:42 GMT
#6
That was a great wrapup and feedback on the tournament. On the whole, I thought TSL was organised really well, but of course there are things to be improved as always.

I'm wondering if it's possible to have a hybrid online/offline tournament, in that the first few weekends, you can do online, but for the finals (semis and finals), you can fly the players to a central location? That way, you don't have to fly that many players out. However, I still do acknowledge that the expenses for that will still be ridiculously high.

Overall, thank you for at least acknowledging the timezone issues. However, I think casting from replays are a good solution. (It's still not perfect unfortunately). However, I think viewers will understand if you preempt it and explain your reasonings for doing so.
SoleSteeler
Profile Joined April 2003
Canada5472 Posts
July 02 2021 15:52 GMT
#7
I really enjoyed TSL7, as I've done with all the other TSL tournaments.

I found 10 BO7s to be extremely excessive, however.

Maybe 3 would be plenty - winners finals, losers finals, grand finals.

In fact, if double elim is kept, BO3 in the losers bracket until the losers semis would be plenty for me. I found the days to be extremely long to watch (I know I can just pick which matches I want to watch...) Even BO5 for losers finals would be okay. If you're in the loser bracket, there should be some more desperation in the series. More chance for upsets. If you want to avoid BO3, stay in the upper bracket!

But, I think I do prefer group stages over long double elim brackets.

Not sure how others feel.

Gescom
Profile Joined February 2010
Canada3516 Posts
July 02 2021 16:06 GMT
#8
Great tourney, loved it all! :0)
Jaedong Hyuk || Bisu Jangbi || Fantasy Flash
tommey.liang
Profile Joined November 2020
United States363 Posts
July 02 2021 16:12 GMT
#9
Another great TSL!! Team Liquid, the staff, commentators and players do not disappoint. Really great feedback -- would be interesting to see 24 or 32 players again. Good point that if it was a live event, the costs would skyrocket.

Also it was funky to switch from the TL Twitch channel to the ESL SC2 channel, but it makes sense given it conflicted with the Pride month streams.

Congrats once again to Trap for becoming TSL7 champion.
FF, KH, Persona, Uncharted, Yakuza | Porter, Illenium, MitiS, Dabin, Seven Lions, Petit Biscuit | Diablo II, SC2 | Pho, sushi, tacos
ShorF
Profile Joined July 2021
1 Post
July 02 2021 17:49 GMT
#10
Thanks a lot, it was amazing !!
FFW_Rude
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
France10201 Posts
July 02 2021 18:06 GMT
#11
Too bad shopify's the sponsor though.
#1 KT Rolster fanboy. KT BEST KT ! Hail to KT playoffs Zergs ! Unofficial french translator for SlayerS_`Boxer` biography "Crazy as me".
Nakajin
Profile Blog Joined September 2014
Canada8991 Posts
July 02 2021 18:12 GMT
#12
On July 03 2021 03:06 FFW_Rude wrote:
Too bad shopify's the sponsor though.


Why?
Writerhttp://i.imgur.com/9p6ufcB.jpg
SoleSteeler
Profile Joined April 2003
Canada5472 Posts
July 02 2021 18:30 GMT
#13
On July 03 2021 03:12 Nakajin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 03 2021 03:06 FFW_Rude wrote:
Too bad shopify's the sponsor though.


Why?


He thinks he's edgy.
conormcgregor156
Profile Joined June 2020
22 Posts
July 02 2021 18:39 GMT
#14
Thank you for the tournament and for the award, I am seriously very happy. I hope they keep bringing us more tournaments like these, I really enjoyed it. And also happy that Trap wins another final !!!
Thaniri
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
1264 Posts
July 02 2021 19:05 GMT
#15
Please add a crowd funding option for TSL 8!
Aeceus
Profile Joined September 2011
United Kingdom1278 Posts
July 02 2021 19:31 GMT
#16
On July 03 2021 04:05 Thaniri wrote:
Please add a crowd funding option for TSL 8!


This could be a good idea
Kitai
Profile Joined June 2012
United States886 Posts
July 02 2021 21:23 GMT
#17
Shoutout to Wax for placing the champion at #1 in the TSL power rank
"You know, I don't care if soO got 100 second places in a row. Anyone who doesn't think that he's going to win blizzcon watching this series is a fool" - Artosis, Blizzcon 2014 soO vs TaeJa
ExpatRights
Profile Joined February 2021
53 Posts
July 03 2021 08:00 GMT
#18
if i was shopify i'd be so pissed that this never went up on youtube. personally i haven't seen a single minute of it because of that.
Azzur
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Australia6267 Posts
July 03 2021 11:20 GMT
#19
Tournament Size, Format, and Schedule
I think the many bo7s were overkill and definitely would've liked more players. I know the 24 player double-elim was frowned upon by some, but I think it was a decent format. Agreed with the assessment and I definitely didn't like the previous TSL6 switch format. I would've been fine with groups followed by single elimination.

Time zones and Viewership
Don't think there can ever be an "ideal" solution for this, and I think the TSL7 timezone was probably the best you could possibly hope for (apart from live but of course it costs $$$). As for players having to play late, well, they're getting paid well to do so!
washikie
Profile Joined February 2011
United States752 Posts
July 03 2021 18:41 GMT
#20
Really enjoyed watching this tourney sad it’s over
"when life gives Hero lemons he makes carriers" -Artosis
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 10h 38m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft358
Nina 127
ViBE116
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 14092
firebathero 115
Hyuk 52
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm171
febbydoto91
League of Legends
Doublelift4309
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King62
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5519
Other Games
summit1g8660
FrodaN2165
mouzStarbuck437
JimRising 431
KnowMe236
ArmadaUGS94
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1179
BasetradeTV204
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream112
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 109
• musti20045 32
• Letter143
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 0
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
10h 38m
INu's Battles
12h 38m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
15h 38m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
19h 38m
BSL Open Qualifier
19h 38m
Replay Cast
23h 38m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 10h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 11h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 16h
Replay Cast
1d 23h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.