• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 17:49
CEST 23:49
KST 06:49
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon110
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7818 users

Keyboard Ideas.... - Page 4

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
KodoU-
Profile Joined November 2006
United States129 Posts
July 04 2007 15:39 GMT
#61
k i read first few posts dunno if anyone said this or not already but with your karate chop idea, im pretty sure blizzard would make their own custom keyboard because there would be alot of really pissed off progamers out at best buy buying new keyboards from getting really into a game and karate chopping the shit out of their keyboard...
lmfao...
other than that i can see what you meant but making multi key combinations for units would kinda be stupid. It defeats the purpose of "Hotkeys"
which is a key which gives you a quick shortcut to the counterpart of clicking on the button.
So meh... IMO of course...
sorry if someone said this already.
http://www.esnips.com/web/RobertC-Metal http://www.myspace.com/bdotnert http://www.bandspace.com/monarch
ChaosKnight
Profile Joined April 2007
United States819 Posts
July 04 2007 17:12 GMT
#62
How about I play Starcraft 2 with my Guitar Hero controller!
SayaSP
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
Laos5494 Posts
July 04 2007 21:48 GMT
#63
On July 04 2007 01:14 exalted wrote:
This idea, while cool, would imbalance the game far too much...

in my favor.

True statement.
[iHs]SSP | I-NO-KI BOM-BA-YE | のヮの http://tinyurl.com/MLIStheCV , MLIS.
MeMe
Profile Joined June 2007
Fiji52 Posts
July 04 2007 22:33 GMT
#64
Mylosttemple is right on the live watching part.

I remember that when kenka first arrived in korea, he had a mere 1200 gamei rating.

1 month later he was chain nuking in tvt 1700 rated gamei terrans and talking to us same time making stupid jokes.

Same goes for kevin, supercondomuser, who, after 2 months of living in Seoul, went on to beat intotherain on tv tvp ...
High5ive
Profile Joined June 2007
Canada40 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-07-04 22:42:31
July 04 2007 22:35 GMT
#65
I just found a one-handed beatmania clip that owns anyone out there i bet its nada in his right handed form. Check it out.

Be sure to click low quality so no youtube video is laggy



edit: (((cant touch this! dana na na NA.. nA NA.. cANT TOUCH THIS!)))
and I quote
MeMe
Profile Joined June 2007
Fiji52 Posts
July 04 2007 22:38 GMT
#66
Now, koreans aren't espacially training on the keyboard.. they just tend to play very fast, and by doing so, other players replicate why they see live;

Also, I wondered for long why they were "naturaly" so fast. Because even early back in 99-2000, where the global pro gamer's level was starting to grow, even amongst mediocre players in lan, they were all playing very fast.

Now here's what I think : foreigners tend to play slower because they have larger hands than the average korean kid, thus allowing us to make less hand movements to reach the keys with our fingers, and thus, not getting us to make naturaly any kind of effort concerning the hand speed. While koreans have smaller hands, i often so kids, like when chojja was around 16-17, having a real hard time to reach the keys fast on the keyboard, and because of that, developing an insane speed.
High5ive
Profile Joined June 2007
Canada40 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-07-04 22:45:11
July 04 2007 22:41 GMT
#67
On July 05 2007 07:38 MeMe wrote:
Now, koreans aren't espacially training on the keyboard.. they just tend to play very fast, and by doing so, other players replicate why they see live;

Also, I wondered for long why they were "naturaly" so fast. Because even early back in 99-2000, where the global pro gamer's level was starting to grow, even amongst mediocre players in lan, they were all playing very fast.

Now here's what I think : foreigners tend to play slower because they have larger hands than the average korean kid, thus allowing us to make less hand movements to reach the keys with our fingers, and thus, not getting us to make naturaly any kind of effort concerning the hand speed. While koreans have smaller hands, i often so kids, like when chojja was around 16-17, having a real hard time to reach the keys fast on the keyboard, and because of that, developing an insane speed.


here is the real reason. Just play on a keyboard for 2 years+ and youll have a very fast hand. Its like anything dude ppl sorta tend to think sc is the only thing with speed and that only koreans are godly. I dont get that. Remember folks (you are human so is an asian kid) it just takes time and thats all it takes.
and I quote
MeMe
Profile Joined June 2007
Fiji52 Posts
July 04 2007 22:45 GMT
#68
Thats not very true. Many foreigners I saw coming to korea were playing starcraft since the begening of it. THey weren't any close to the hand speed of a korean pro gamer. Just ask around. I bielive many don't actually realise the hand speed of small handed players such as cho jja. The only foreigner I ever saw, matching the korean keyboard / mouse gaming speed was Slayer, who is btw, the only foreigner (aside Grrrr...) to have won a korean tournament on the korean ground.
nvnplatypus
Profile Blog Joined April 2004
Netherlands1300 Posts
July 04 2007 23:26 GMT
#69
Another problem with this system (besides the fact it doesn't actually look fun) is that lots of devices (Belkin N52 SpeedPad, Razer Tarantula, etc.) allow you to program macros consisting of multiple keystrokes. So the whole 9p9pbp4d5d6s0p9pbp4d sequence you suggest for dragoon range can be reduced down to a single hotkey regardless.
MoNKeYSpanKeR
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
United States2869 Posts
July 05 2007 00:15 GMT
#70
If i start we start judo chopping our keyboards we are going to go through them very fast O_O
<3's Mani and Seraphim, thx for the second chance. TSL Name: TSL-mSLeGenD
[jOyO]
Profile Joined July 2006
United States920 Posts
July 05 2007 01:58 GMT
#71
This is the kind of thing that makes games unpleasurable because it is a burden to learn certain aspects of the game. The fact that people use different combinations of the same basic hotkeys shows the versatility of the game, and why would you destroy that by giving set hotkeys?? interesting but ridiculous.
You must notta heard me PARTNA!
MyLostTemple *
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States2921 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-07-05 03:14:25
July 05 2007 02:53 GMT
#72
A lot of interesting responses on this thread : )

First I'd like to clarify that by chop i didn't actually mean 'karatie chop the shit out of your keyboard.' i simply said 'chop' so people could visualize the hand position i was trying to portray. I really just meant 'push all these buttons with the side of your left hand.' Keep in mind you can only produce one mothership... this means your probably only going to 'chop' once every game. A climactic hand position for the most powerful unit in the game :D!

For those of you who don't like combos... combos were in SC1 and they are definitely going to be in SC2. Look:

SC1 Combo:

4z5z6d7d

SC2 Combo with same hotkeys using MBS:

4zzdd

These are both 'combos.' Just different combos. Aren't units going to produce slower in SC2?... This gives us a lot more free time with our hands. A lot of the people who don't know how to play SC1 actually believe that they don't need to use their keyboards to be the best... They're dead wrong. The keyboard is so much a part of Starcraft you can not separate the two.

I'm baffled by people leaving comments that RTS games are supposed to have the most simplistic interface known to man. Why do you people even like Starcraft to begin with? :o... This is basically the only RTS with a complex interface and that's what makes it so good. In order to master such an interface you must master the combos used on the keyboard to fully engage the game itself. Starcraft wasn't just perfect because of the immense amount of strategy behind it... it was perfect because it was light years ahead of it's time. It's the only RTS game to utilize the keyboard in such an incredible manner.

In a sense Starcraft is a combination of this:

Concept A:



btw This Beatmania player is named Lisu. Have you ever heard of an amazing protoss player named Bisu?... COINCIDENCE? Where the hell else did he get that name from? I bet bisu knows his builds as well as Lisu knows this song.

Now add Concept B:

Watch blue Magneto VERY closely... SooMighty waits for the right moment... and sets up what is known in MVC2 terms as 'the infinite.'



Setting up this combo is incredibly difficult. He must wait for the exact right moment... then attack. Alot like you wait for the exact right moment to do a bulldog rush to a terran who fast expos... then after the attack is successful you are in a safe position. All you must do from there on out is combo your way to victory. 4d5d6d7d8d9d0d bpbp f2pf3pf4p 4d5d6d7d8d9d0d bpbpbp f2pf3pf4p. The SC combo can take a long time to complete unlike the MVC2 combo.

Now to Concept C:

Here is a game which requires perfect mouse precision and mouse control. I'm sure you all know it.



These guys do NOT miss click... neither does boxer when he's microing his medics and marines. Head shots are like gosu PSI storms... they involve perfect clicks.

Concept D:

An old but incredibly influential game. Lets pretend the first movie is the first few minutes of a starcraft game:



He has to micro his units or risk losing the game. Here we see the object oriented clicking/maneuvering SC is based off of. He must assign the roles to his lemmings perfectly. Late game there are more units to control.

now pretend we see late game SC



Late game SC involves more unit micro, so do harder levels in lemmings. Make a mistake and you may lose all your units faster than you can blink.

Now to Concept E:

Have you ever played this game? These two are gosu's at it.



Chess, much like Starcraft is about positioning. You can't just get maxed and then win. One must expand to crucial places that give you strategic positioning over your opponents. Just like Kasparov knows to quit this game due to the position of the chess pieces on the board, the SC player knows to quit the game when he is far behind on expansions or has lost his entire army while his opponent proceeds to outmacro him. SC is about map control just like Chess is about Board control.

A + B + C + D + E = BW

Here's the game we all play:



first sc highlight clip involves concepts C and D (click control and unit manipulation) Next clip involves concepts E (moving giant pieces to strategic positions). Both of the two clips were SETUP using the logic of concept B (their opponents are in positions, they realize the position allows them to setup a powerful attacks via keyboard/gamepad combos). What you don't see is that all clips involve concept A (memorizing your builds).

I don't want to turn SC into a Concept A game only. I just want to build off the Concept A idea and make the game more creative in this area.

See the forest for the trees.
Follow me on twitter: CallMeTasteless
MyLostTemple *
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States2921 Posts
July 05 2007 03:12 GMT
#73
To add further affect to A + B + C + D + E concept, try playing A B C D E movies all at the same time and scroll up and down looking at each of them... think about playing starcraft.
Follow me on twitter: CallMeTasteless
BalloonFight
Profile Blog Joined May 2006
United States2007 Posts
July 05 2007 03:27 GMT
#74
I think this is an extremely interesting concept, but I'm not sure how much it would appeal to the mainstream players.

Also off topic, I'm 1-0 lifetime vs SooMighty.
MyLostTemple *
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States2921 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-07-05 05:20:03
July 05 2007 05:18 GMT
#75
On July 05 2007 12:27 BalloonFight wrote:
I think this is an extremely interesting concept, but I'm not sure how much it would appeal to the mainstream players.

Also off topic, I'm 1-0 lifetime vs SooMighty.


it already appeals to mainstream Korea. keep in mind Koreans are the only ones who are using the keyboards more efficiently than us.

why wouldn't it appeal to everyone everywhere?

you beat soomighty!? NICE^^ The best mvc2 players I've beaten are LightingStorm from KC and BigRex from Saint Louis. Those were the only places i ever traveled to for mvc2 tournaments : )

who do you play as?

i like
Cable (anti air assist)
Sentinel (ground assist)
captain commando (anti air assist)
Follow me on twitter: CallMeTasteless
[jOyO]
Profile Joined July 2006
United States920 Posts
July 05 2007 05:38 GMT
#76
I fucking love Lemmings man, that has got to be the best classic game ever. i would play that for hours and not get bored. There was one acid leve i could never beat. I was like 8 years old at the time so it is probably easy now.
You must notta heard me PARTNA!
BalloonFight
Profile Blog Joined May 2006
United States2007 Posts
July 05 2007 05:57 GMT
#77
On July 05 2007 14:18 MyLostTemple wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 05 2007 12:27 BalloonFight wrote:
I think this is an extremely interesting concept, but I'm not sure how much it would appeal to the mainstream players.

Also off topic, I'm 1-0 lifetime vs SooMighty.


it already appeals to mainstream Korea. keep in mind Koreans are the only ones who are using the keyboards more efficiently than us.

why wouldn't it appeal to everyone everywhere?

you beat soomighty!? NICE^^ The best mvc2 players I've beaten are LightingStorm from KC and BigRex from Saint Louis. Those were the only places i ever traveled to for mvc2 tournaments : )

who do you play as?

i like
Cable (anti air assist)
Sentinel (ground assist)
captain commando (anti air assist)


I usually use either matrix, Storm/Sent/Cyclops, thrax, Storm/Sent/Capcom, or some type of mag team for fun. I also like using strider/doom (which i think is the team Day uses)

Fun story, the first time I played clockw0rk, aka best S/D player, I of course had to pick strider/doom/sent, the team he popularized, to play him. He looked at me and said nice team. lol
Then we played like 20 games in a row, me winning 3 -_-.

The best players I've beaten are kind of the old school marvel players, like Genghis, Shadyk, clockwork and soomighty. But I have beaten Potter once, but hes just sick good and it was basically all luck.

If I fly out to WCG finals in Seattle, I want to play you and Day.
ZaplinG
Profile Blog Joined February 2005
United States3818 Posts
July 05 2007 06:01 GMT
#78
Im not sure how I feel about this idea...

In FF6, you had to punch combo's in order to do special attacks with one of your characters. (Sabin, I think? It's been a while). In Black and White, you had to do patterns with your mouse in order to cast spells. I think in moderation, this should be in the game. However, it sounds easy to go overboard. Plus you run into problems with different keyboards and different hotkeys due to different language versions.

hmmmm... very thought provoking indeed
Don't believe the florist when he tells you that the roses are free
MyLostTemple *
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
United States2921 Posts
July 05 2007 06:11 GMT
#79
On July 05 2007 14:57 BalloonFight wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 05 2007 14:18 MyLostTemple wrote:
On July 05 2007 12:27 BalloonFight wrote:
I think this is an extremely interesting concept, but I'm not sure how much it would appeal to the mainstream players.

Also off topic, I'm 1-0 lifetime vs SooMighty.


it already appeals to mainstream Korea. keep in mind Koreans are the only ones who are using the keyboards more efficiently than us.

why wouldn't it appeal to everyone everywhere?

you beat soomighty!? NICE^^ The best mvc2 players I've beaten are LightingStorm from KC and BigRex from Saint Louis. Those were the only places i ever traveled to for mvc2 tournaments : )

who do you play as?

i like
Cable (anti air assist)
Sentinel (ground assist)
captain commando (anti air assist)


I usually use either matrix, Storm/Sent/Cyclops, thrax, Storm/Sent/Capcom, or some type of mag team for fun. I also like using strider/doom (which i think is the team Day uses)

Fun story, the first time I played clockw0rk, aka best S/D player, I of course had to pick strider/doom/sent, the team he popularized, to play him. He looked at me and said nice team. lol
Then we played like 20 games in a row, me winning 3 -_-.

The best players I've beaten are kind of the old school marvel players, like Genghis, Shadyk, clockwork and soomighty. But I have beaten Potter once, but hes just sick good and it was basically all luck.

If I fly out to WCG finals in Seattle, I want to play you and Day.


YOUR ON!

I was wondering if anyone would ever notice where Day's other nickname is from (Strider Doom). Did you know that Clockw0rk used to play Starcraft all the time? he used to 2;2 with Zizou21, another tl.net user and also another mvc2 player. I know a few other SC players who were big mvc2 players.
Follow me on twitter: CallMeTasteless
[X]Ken~D
Profile Joined June 2007
377 Posts
Last Edited: 2007-07-05 06:29:17
July 05 2007 06:13 GMT
#80
Genghis, Shadyk, Clockwork and Soomighty? Impressive list, that's like the Boxer, Nal-ra, SAvior of MVC2. Sadly I never got good at MVC2 due to the lack of competition and quarters . IMO it had the deepest strategy for a fighting game, and that's coming from a 3rd Strike player. SC1 type timing against traps & character build order.


Why do you people even like Starcraft to begin with? :o... This is basically the only RTS with a complex interface and that's what makes it so good.


I would think it is more the strategy, tactical micro and/or large scale battles than the button mashing
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 12m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SpeCial 90
JuggernautJason46
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 622
firebathero 86
Zeus 64
910 29
Dota 2
monkeys_forever425
League of Legends
JimRising 330
Counter-Strike
minikerr0
Super Smash Bros
ArmadaUGS123
PPMD33
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5328
Liquid`Hasu1736
Other Games
summit1g6573
shahzam578
byalli339
C9.Mang0187
UpATreeSC65
Trikslyr39
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV238
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream160
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 83
• Adnapsc2 17
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 43
• Azhi_Dahaki34
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
2h 12m
Kung Fu Cup
13h 12m
Stellar Fest
15h 12m
The PondCast
1d 12h
OSC
1d 15h
Stellar Fest
1d 15h
OSC
2 days
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
[ Show More ]
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.