• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:18
CEST 19:18
KST 02:18
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War645.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament Rollback Netcode in Brood War TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 12772 users

Revised Featured Stream Requirements for 2015 - Page 17

Forum Index > SC2 General
602 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 15 16 17 18 19 31 Next All
Dangermousecatdog
Profile Joined December 2010
United Kingdom7084 Posts
March 17 2015 00:18 GMT
#321
On March 17 2015 07:22 HTOMario wrote:
To the people commentating on me, I didn't viewbot. The moment I found out it was happening I went straight to teamliquid (within the hour I believe) because I didn't want to be featured on false pretenses. If I was a view botter I could have just not brought it up and reaped the viewership.

On another note, if someone has a way to prove my innocence that would be awesome. Twitch takes a long time to respond to emails.

Well done HTOMario.

Anybody who doesn't see the total differnce between how HTOMario and Winter has reacted is a fool.
Cazimirbzh
Profile Joined February 2014
334 Posts
March 17 2015 00:22 GMT
#322
On March 17 2015 09:11 kryogenic wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 17 2015 09:08 Cazimirbzh wrote:
On March 17 2015 09:00 kryogenic wrote:
On March 17 2015 08:49 Cazimirbzh wrote:
On March 17 2015 08:40 kryogenic wrote:
On March 17 2015 08:22 ProTech wrote:
On March 17 2015 08:08 kryogenic wrote:
fair enough. i thought you were in that reddit thread HTOMario

edit: I maintain that the "i didn't know i was viewbotted" excuse is bullshit in 99% of cases, see my post on the previous page



I'm sorry bro, that's not the case.

People maliciously view bot other peoples channel for the sole purpose of ruining that persons name. It not expensive to viewer bot someones channel, and furthermore if a troll does not like that particular streamer he will go completely out of his way to screw him over.

While yes, I do believe that in a lot of cases people do in fact use that as an excuse saying something like " 99% of people use this as an excuse " is completely false.

With this entire shit storm, you can bet your ass that this viewer bot thing in the community is going to be viral and targeted against featured streams on TL.net based on the new policy.

So even if that 99% number were true, it's definitely going to get lower just based on this entire situation.


The cost of viewbotting depends on the length of time. In winter's case it would have cost probably close to ten thousand dollars over the course of his 1-2 years of streaming with bots.


after a quick search, for 10k $ - 2 years (415/monthly) winter can have 40k viewbots....


Assuming you came up with a link from google it should be no problem for you to source that...

Regardless, bandwidth, twitch accounts, and unique IPs cost money. The cost also increases as you scale up. I'm not saying that I know with any certainty that the number is close to $10k. I do know however that producing hundreds of views requires multiple servers, or, (more likely in my opinion) dozens of hacked computers with distinct IP addresses. That shit gets us into DDoS and blackhat territory and believe me it is very expensive.


Do you want me to post a link to a website that explicitly sells viewbot ? XDD (last word + .net, that's all i'll say)
for 100$/month i can pretend to be winter with 2.5k viewers and chatbot^^

I guess you got your numbers from here https://viewbot.net/

Assuming that website is legit (i really hope not), I have a number of statements to make...
- obviously I'm wayy off on my earlier estimate. my apologies for that
- I would guess that those people are able to provide the service at a reduced cost by using the same twitch accounts, servers, and IPs to raise the viewer count of what is probably dozens of streamers at the same time
- twitch.tv you guys have some fucking 'splaining to do



Show nested quote +
On March 17 2015 09:07 saltis wrote:
On March 17 2015 08:08 kryogenic wrote:

Regardless, bandwidth, twitch accounts, and unique IPs cost money. The cost also increases as you scale up. I'm not saying that I know with any certainty that the number is close to $10k. I do know however that producing hundreds of views requires multiple servers, or, (more likely in my opinion) dozens of hacked computers with distinct IP addresses. That shit gets us into DDoS and blackhat territory and believe me it is very expensive.


Dude please... all you say is theory crafting, it shows that you really have no real engineering knowledge. Please, don't even try it...

Please stfu if you're not going to add anything to the discussion


Me too, i was surprised by how little(?) money it cost to obtain huge numbers at least for sc2 and that's why i am not really happy about the statement of TL which doesnt provide help for streamers whom may be viewbot maliciously which is basically "ask twitch".
Why twitch will bother for a guy with 0.5k viewbots when they have several streams with 2-3k and maybe more ? :S

Unfortunately, viewbotting is an issue that can be dealt by Twitch only.
Lexender
Profile Joined September 2013
Mexico2665 Posts
March 17 2015 00:29 GMT
#323
On March 17 2015 09:18 Dangermousecatdog wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 17 2015 07:22 HTOMario wrote:
To the people commentating on me, I didn't viewbot. The moment I found out it was happening I went straight to teamliquid (within the hour I believe) because I didn't want to be featured on false pretenses. If I was a view botter I could have just not brought it up and reaped the viewership.

On another note, if someone has a way to prove my innocence that would be awesome. Twitch takes a long time to respond to emails.

Well done HTOMario.

Anybody who doesn't see the total differnce between how HTOMario and Winter has reacted is a fool.


The worst thing is that Mario doesn't really cares about that, he just likes to stream and hang out with his chat, it was really shitty what happened to him.

Also everybody can try and measure the chat in his stream (like they did with other streams), its very active even if there is only 200 viewers, and I can assure its not a chat bot (unless they invented a chat bot that makes really bad jokes )
Cazimirbzh
Profile Joined February 2014
334 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-03-17 00:33:56
March 17 2015 00:33 GMT
#324
On March 17 2015 09:29 Lexender wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 17 2015 09:18 Dangermousecatdog wrote:
On March 17 2015 07:22 HTOMario wrote:
To the people commentating on me, I didn't viewbot. The moment I found out it was happening I went straight to teamliquid (within the hour I believe) because I didn't want to be featured on false pretenses. If I was a view botter I could have just not brought it up and reaped the viewership.

On another note, if someone has a way to prove my innocence that would be awesome. Twitch takes a long time to respond to emails.

Well done HTOMario.

Anybody who doesn't see the total differnce between how HTOMario and Winter has reacted is a fool.


The worst thing is that Mario doesn't really cares about that, he just likes to stream and hang out with his chat, it was really shitty what happened to him.

Also everybody can try and measure the chat in his stream (like they did with other streams), its very active even if there is only 200 viewers, and I can assure its not a chat bot (unless they invented a chat bot that makes really bad jokes )


sorry, skynet has been updated ^^
http://gawker.com/michael-j-fox-is-trending-thanks-to-an-army-of-bad-jok-1638609761
y0su
Profile Blog Joined September 2011
Finland7871 Posts
March 17 2015 01:02 GMT
#325
On March 17 2015 09:22 Cazimirbzh wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 17 2015 09:11 kryogenic wrote:
On March 17 2015 09:08 Cazimirbzh wrote:
On March 17 2015 09:00 kryogenic wrote:
On March 17 2015 08:49 Cazimirbzh wrote:
On March 17 2015 08:40 kryogenic wrote:
On March 17 2015 08:22 ProTech wrote:
On March 17 2015 08:08 kryogenic wrote:
fair enough. i thought you were in that reddit thread HTOMario

edit: I maintain that the "i didn't know i was viewbotted" excuse is bullshit in 99% of cases, see my post on the previous page



I'm sorry bro, that's not the case.

People maliciously view bot other peoples channel for the sole purpose of ruining that persons name. It not expensive to viewer bot someones channel, and furthermore if a troll does not like that particular streamer he will go completely out of his way to screw him over.

While yes, I do believe that in a lot of cases people do in fact use that as an excuse saying something like " 99% of people use this as an excuse " is completely false.

With this entire shit storm, you can bet your ass that this viewer bot thing in the community is going to be viral and targeted against featured streams on TL.net based on the new policy.

So even if that 99% number were true, it's definitely going to get lower just based on this entire situation.


The cost of viewbotting depends on the length of time. In winter's case it would have cost probably close to ten thousand dollars over the course of his 1-2 years of streaming with bots.


after a quick search, for 10k $ - 2 years (415/monthly) winter can have 40k viewbots....


Assuming you came up with a link from google it should be no problem for you to source that...

Regardless, bandwidth, twitch accounts, and unique IPs cost money. The cost also increases as you scale up. I'm not saying that I know with any certainty that the number is close to $10k. I do know however that producing hundreds of views requires multiple servers, or, (more likely in my opinion) dozens of hacked computers with distinct IP addresses. That shit gets us into DDoS and blackhat territory and believe me it is very expensive.


Do you want me to post a link to a website that explicitly sells viewbot ? XDD (last word + .net, that's all i'll say)
for 100$/month i can pretend to be winter with 2.5k viewers and chatbot^^

I guess you got your numbers from here https://viewbot.net/

Assuming that website is legit (i really hope not), I have a number of statements to make...
- obviously I'm wayy off on my earlier estimate. my apologies for that
- I would guess that those people are able to provide the service at a reduced cost by using the same twitch accounts, servers, and IPs to raise the viewer count of what is probably dozens of streamers at the same time
- twitch.tv you guys have some fucking 'splaining to do



On March 17 2015 09:07 saltis wrote:
On March 17 2015 08:08 kryogenic wrote:

Regardless, bandwidth, twitch accounts, and unique IPs cost money. The cost also increases as you scale up. I'm not saying that I know with any certainty that the number is close to $10k. I do know however that producing hundreds of views requires multiple servers, or, (more likely in my opinion) dozens of hacked computers with distinct IP addresses. That shit gets us into DDoS and blackhat territory and believe me it is very expensive.


Dude please... all you say is theory crafting, it shows that you really have no real engineering knowledge. Please, don't even try it...

Please stfu if you're not going to add anything to the discussion


Me too, i was surprised by how little(?) money it cost to obtain huge numbers at least for sc2 and that's why i am not really happy about the statement of TL which doesnt provide help for streamers whom may be viewbot maliciously which is basically "ask twitch".
Why twitch will bother for a guy with 0.5k viewbots when they have several streams with 2-3k and maybe more ? :S

Unfortunately, viewbotting is an issue that can be dealt by Twitch only.

Well, just going by precedence... The two recent de-features were both streamers that became featured AFTER being botted. So, there is still no precedence on what would happen if an already featured streamer suddenly noticed that the viewer numbers are off.

I still find the idea of "malicious viewbotting" hilariously stupid... Seriously, who do I have to piss off to get some extra viewers?
Cazimirbzh
Profile Joined February 2014
334 Posts
March 17 2015 01:10 GMT
#326
On March 17 2015 10:02 y0su wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 17 2015 09:22 Cazimirbzh wrote:
On March 17 2015 09:11 kryogenic wrote:
On March 17 2015 09:08 Cazimirbzh wrote:
On March 17 2015 09:00 kryogenic wrote:
On March 17 2015 08:49 Cazimirbzh wrote:
On March 17 2015 08:40 kryogenic wrote:
On March 17 2015 08:22 ProTech wrote:
On March 17 2015 08:08 kryogenic wrote:
fair enough. i thought you were in that reddit thread HTOMario

edit: I maintain that the "i didn't know i was viewbotted" excuse is bullshit in 99% of cases, see my post on the previous page



I'm sorry bro, that's not the case.

People maliciously view bot other peoples channel for the sole purpose of ruining that persons name. It not expensive to viewer bot someones channel, and furthermore if a troll does not like that particular streamer he will go completely out of his way to screw him over.

While yes, I do believe that in a lot of cases people do in fact use that as an excuse saying something like " 99% of people use this as an excuse " is completely false.

With this entire shit storm, you can bet your ass that this viewer bot thing in the community is going to be viral and targeted against featured streams on TL.net based on the new policy.

So even if that 99% number were true, it's definitely going to get lower just based on this entire situation.


The cost of viewbotting depends on the length of time. In winter's case it would have cost probably close to ten thousand dollars over the course of his 1-2 years of streaming with bots.


after a quick search, for 10k $ - 2 years (415/monthly) winter can have 40k viewbots....


Assuming you came up with a link from google it should be no problem for you to source that...

Regardless, bandwidth, twitch accounts, and unique IPs cost money. The cost also increases as you scale up. I'm not saying that I know with any certainty that the number is close to $10k. I do know however that producing hundreds of views requires multiple servers, or, (more likely in my opinion) dozens of hacked computers with distinct IP addresses. That shit gets us into DDoS and blackhat territory and believe me it is very expensive.


Do you want me to post a link to a website that explicitly sells viewbot ? XDD (last word + .net, that's all i'll say)
for 100$/month i can pretend to be winter with 2.5k viewers and chatbot^^

I guess you got your numbers from here https://viewbot.net/

Assuming that website is legit (i really hope not), I have a number of statements to make...
- obviously I'm wayy off on my earlier estimate. my apologies for that
- I would guess that those people are able to provide the service at a reduced cost by using the same twitch accounts, servers, and IPs to raise the viewer count of what is probably dozens of streamers at the same time
- twitch.tv you guys have some fucking 'splaining to do



On March 17 2015 09:07 saltis wrote:
On March 17 2015 08:08 kryogenic wrote:

Regardless, bandwidth, twitch accounts, and unique IPs cost money. The cost also increases as you scale up. I'm not saying that I know with any certainty that the number is close to $10k. I do know however that producing hundreds of views requires multiple servers, or, (more likely in my opinion) dozens of hacked computers with distinct IP addresses. That shit gets us into DDoS and blackhat territory and believe me it is very expensive.


Dude please... all you say is theory crafting, it shows that you really have no real engineering knowledge. Please, don't even try it...

Please stfu if you're not going to add anything to the discussion


Me too, i was surprised by how little(?) money it cost to obtain huge numbers at least for sc2 and that's why i am not really happy about the statement of TL which doesnt provide help for streamers whom may be viewbot maliciously which is basically "ask twitch".
Why twitch will bother for a guy with 0.5k viewbots when they have several streams with 2-3k and maybe more ? :S

Unfortunately, viewbotting is an issue that can be dealt by Twitch only.

Well, just going by precedence... The two recent de-features were both streamers that became featured AFTER being botted. So, there is still no precedence on what would happen if an already featured streamer suddenly noticed that the viewer numbers are off.

I still find the idea of "malicious viewbotting" hilariously stupid... Seriously, who do I have to piss off to get some extra viewers?


And that's the question i am asking ^^

If your partnership application with twitch get suspended because of viewbotting like mario, will you still find it "hilariously stupid" ?
sage_francis
Profile Joined December 2006
France1823 Posts
March 17 2015 01:18 GMT
#327
Very good move by TL.
Doodsmack
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States7224 Posts
March 17 2015 01:25 GMT
#328
On March 17 2015 06:40 sSooG wrote:
i apologize in advance and i may get banned for this but I have to say it:

WINTER YOU F*****G PIECE OF S**T, I got permbanned from your chat when I asked a random guy in chat if he is a viewbot... Thank god that someone finally delivered evidence of something that was so fucking obvious since the first days... RIP Winter aka. most autistic-lying-viewbot-kiddo in the fucking universe

User was temp banned for this post.


Seek anger management help.
polpot
Profile Joined April 2012
3002 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-03-17 01:32:39
March 17 2015 01:30 GMT
#329
Winter stream was just so suspicious , coming out of nowhere and allways having more than 2000 viewers , fake apm counter(almost never under 300!), fake dog , fake viewers!!! 90 % of the stream consisting of smurfing and trolling low leaguers for his "educational" streams.

Im glad TL finally did something.
lichter
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
1001 YEARS KESPAJAIL22272 Posts
March 17 2015 01:40 GMT
#330
On March 17 2015 10:10 Cazimirbzh wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 17 2015 10:02 y0su wrote:
On March 17 2015 09:22 Cazimirbzh wrote:
On March 17 2015 09:11 kryogenic wrote:
On March 17 2015 09:08 Cazimirbzh wrote:
On March 17 2015 09:00 kryogenic wrote:
On March 17 2015 08:49 Cazimirbzh wrote:
On March 17 2015 08:40 kryogenic wrote:
On March 17 2015 08:22 ProTech wrote:
On March 17 2015 08:08 kryogenic wrote:
fair enough. i thought you were in that reddit thread HTOMario

edit: I maintain that the "i didn't know i was viewbotted" excuse is bullshit in 99% of cases, see my post on the previous page



I'm sorry bro, that's not the case.

People maliciously view bot other peoples channel for the sole purpose of ruining that persons name. It not expensive to viewer bot someones channel, and furthermore if a troll does not like that particular streamer he will go completely out of his way to screw him over.

While yes, I do believe that in a lot of cases people do in fact use that as an excuse saying something like " 99% of people use this as an excuse " is completely false.

With this entire shit storm, you can bet your ass that this viewer bot thing in the community is going to be viral and targeted against featured streams on TL.net based on the new policy.

So even if that 99% number were true, it's definitely going to get lower just based on this entire situation.


The cost of viewbotting depends on the length of time. In winter's case it would have cost probably close to ten thousand dollars over the course of his 1-2 years of streaming with bots.


after a quick search, for 10k $ - 2 years (415/monthly) winter can have 40k viewbots....


Assuming you came up with a link from google it should be no problem for you to source that...

Regardless, bandwidth, twitch accounts, and unique IPs cost money. The cost also increases as you scale up. I'm not saying that I know with any certainty that the number is close to $10k. I do know however that producing hundreds of views requires multiple servers, or, (more likely in my opinion) dozens of hacked computers with distinct IP addresses. That shit gets us into DDoS and blackhat territory and believe me it is very expensive.


Do you want me to post a link to a website that explicitly sells viewbot ? XDD (last word + .net, that's all i'll say)
for 100$/month i can pretend to be winter with 2.5k viewers and chatbot^^

I guess you got your numbers from here https://viewbot.net/

Assuming that website is legit (i really hope not), I have a number of statements to make...
- obviously I'm wayy off on my earlier estimate. my apologies for that
- I would guess that those people are able to provide the service at a reduced cost by using the same twitch accounts, servers, and IPs to raise the viewer count of what is probably dozens of streamers at the same time
- twitch.tv you guys have some fucking 'splaining to do



On March 17 2015 09:07 saltis wrote:
On March 17 2015 08:08 kryogenic wrote:

Regardless, bandwidth, twitch accounts, and unique IPs cost money. The cost also increases as you scale up. I'm not saying that I know with any certainty that the number is close to $10k. I do know however that producing hundreds of views requires multiple servers, or, (more likely in my opinion) dozens of hacked computers with distinct IP addresses. That shit gets us into DDoS and blackhat territory and believe me it is very expensive.


Dude please... all you say is theory crafting, it shows that you really have no real engineering knowledge. Please, don't even try it...

Please stfu if you're not going to add anything to the discussion


Me too, i was surprised by how little(?) money it cost to obtain huge numbers at least for sc2 and that's why i am not really happy about the statement of TL which doesnt provide help for streamers whom may be viewbot maliciously which is basically "ask twitch".
Why twitch will bother for a guy with 0.5k viewbots when they have several streams with 2-3k and maybe more ? :S

Unfortunately, viewbotting is an issue that can be dealt by Twitch only.

Well, just going by precedence... The two recent de-features were both streamers that became featured AFTER being botted. So, there is still no precedence on what would happen if an already featured streamer suddenly noticed that the viewer numbers are off.

I still find the idea of "malicious viewbotting" hilariously stupid... Seriously, who do I have to piss off to get some extra viewers?


And that's the question i am asking ^^

If your partnership application with twitch get suspended because of viewbotting like mario, will you still find it "hilariously stupid" ?


A stream popular enough to be featured likely has no reason to risk his position or reputation with viewbots. If he does notice a suspicious amount of views or activity on his stream, it's in his best interest to immediately consult Twitch and raise a red flag. It's the same case as HTOMario, except someone like this already had the numbers to be featured. The only problem with HTOMario was that he didn't have the numbers to be featured prior to getting botted.
AdministratorYOU MUST HEED MY INSTRUCTIONS TAKE OFF YOUR THIIIINGS
Cazimirbzh
Profile Joined February 2014
334 Posts
March 17 2015 02:32 GMT
#331
On March 17 2015 10:40 lichter wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 17 2015 10:10 Cazimirbzh wrote:
On March 17 2015 10:02 y0su wrote:
On March 17 2015 09:22 Cazimirbzh wrote:
On March 17 2015 09:11 kryogenic wrote:
On March 17 2015 09:08 Cazimirbzh wrote:
On March 17 2015 09:00 kryogenic wrote:
On March 17 2015 08:49 Cazimirbzh wrote:
On March 17 2015 08:40 kryogenic wrote:
On March 17 2015 08:22 ProTech wrote:
[quote]


I'm sorry bro, that's not the case.

People maliciously view bot other peoples channel for the sole purpose of ruining that persons name. It not expensive to viewer bot someones channel, and furthermore if a troll does not like that particular streamer he will go completely out of his way to screw him over.

While yes, I do believe that in a lot of cases people do in fact use that as an excuse saying something like " 99% of people use this as an excuse " is completely false.

With this entire shit storm, you can bet your ass that this viewer bot thing in the community is going to be viral and targeted against featured streams on TL.net based on the new policy.

So even if that 99% number were true, it's definitely going to get lower just based on this entire situation.


The cost of viewbotting depends on the length of time. In winter's case it would have cost probably close to ten thousand dollars over the course of his 1-2 years of streaming with bots.


after a quick search, for 10k $ - 2 years (415/monthly) winter can have 40k viewbots....


Assuming you came up with a link from google it should be no problem for you to source that...

Regardless, bandwidth, twitch accounts, and unique IPs cost money. The cost also increases as you scale up. I'm not saying that I know with any certainty that the number is close to $10k. I do know however that producing hundreds of views requires multiple servers, or, (more likely in my opinion) dozens of hacked computers with distinct IP addresses. That shit gets us into DDoS and blackhat territory and believe me it is very expensive.


Do you want me to post a link to a website that explicitly sells viewbot ? XDD (last word + .net, that's all i'll say)
for 100$/month i can pretend to be winter with 2.5k viewers and chatbot^^

I guess you got your numbers from here https://viewbot.net/

Assuming that website is legit (i really hope not), I have a number of statements to make...
- obviously I'm wayy off on my earlier estimate. my apologies for that
- I would guess that those people are able to provide the service at a reduced cost by using the same twitch accounts, servers, and IPs to raise the viewer count of what is probably dozens of streamers at the same time
- twitch.tv you guys have some fucking 'splaining to do



On March 17 2015 09:07 saltis wrote:
On March 17 2015 08:08 kryogenic wrote:

Regardless, bandwidth, twitch accounts, and unique IPs cost money. The cost also increases as you scale up. I'm not saying that I know with any certainty that the number is close to $10k. I do know however that producing hundreds of views requires multiple servers, or, (more likely in my opinion) dozens of hacked computers with distinct IP addresses. That shit gets us into DDoS and blackhat territory and believe me it is very expensive.


Dude please... all you say is theory crafting, it shows that you really have no real engineering knowledge. Please, don't even try it...

Please stfu if you're not going to add anything to the discussion


Me too, i was surprised by how little(?) money it cost to obtain huge numbers at least for sc2 and that's why i am not really happy about the statement of TL which doesnt provide help for streamers whom may be viewbot maliciously which is basically "ask twitch".
Why twitch will bother for a guy with 0.5k viewbots when they have several streams with 2-3k and maybe more ? :S

Unfortunately, viewbotting is an issue that can be dealt by Twitch only.

Well, just going by precedence... The two recent de-features were both streamers that became featured AFTER being botted. So, there is still no precedence on what would happen if an already featured streamer suddenly noticed that the viewer numbers are off.

I still find the idea of "malicious viewbotting" hilariously stupid... Seriously, who do I have to piss off to get some extra viewers?


And that's the question i am asking ^^

If your partnership application with twitch get suspended because of viewbotting like mario, will you still find it "hilariously stupid" ?


A stream popular enough to be featured likely has no reason to risk his position or reputation with viewbots. If he does notice a suspicious amount of views or activity on his stream, it's in his best interest to immediately consult Twitch and raise a red flag. It's the same case as HTOMario, except someone like this already had the numbers to be featured. The only problem with HTOMario was that he didn't have the numbers to be featured prior to getting botted.


So if Mario managed to reach the required numbers but still get viewbot and twitch doesnt respond to his issue, he can still be featured ? Can this situation impede his application to be featured ?

I know it's really hard to be a streamer with a decent viewership and being featured can help a lot. I felt bad for Mario because he's a good guy even if he's sometimes mean to yoshi. In this kind of situation, it's hard to not being able to do something against what's happening to you. If you know that the community will support you in this time, it's reassuring and will not demoralize thos who try to be streamer.
ProTech
Profile Joined November 2010
United States498 Posts
March 17 2015 02:35 GMT
#332
On March 17 2015 10:40 lichter wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 17 2015 10:10 Cazimirbzh wrote:
On March 17 2015 10:02 y0su wrote:
On March 17 2015 09:22 Cazimirbzh wrote:
On March 17 2015 09:11 kryogenic wrote:
On March 17 2015 09:08 Cazimirbzh wrote:
On March 17 2015 09:00 kryogenic wrote:
On March 17 2015 08:49 Cazimirbzh wrote:
On March 17 2015 08:40 kryogenic wrote:
On March 17 2015 08:22 ProTech wrote:
[quote]


I'm sorry bro, that's not the case.

People maliciously view bot other peoples channel for the sole purpose of ruining that persons name. It not expensive to viewer bot someones channel, and furthermore if a troll does not like that particular streamer he will go completely out of his way to screw him over.

While yes, I do believe that in a lot of cases people do in fact use that as an excuse saying something like " 99% of people use this as an excuse " is completely false.

With this entire shit storm, you can bet your ass that this viewer bot thing in the community is going to be viral and targeted against featured streams on TL.net based on the new policy.

So even if that 99% number were true, it's definitely going to get lower just based on this entire situation.


The cost of viewbotting depends on the length of time. In winter's case it would have cost probably close to ten thousand dollars over the course of his 1-2 years of streaming with bots.


after a quick search, for 10k $ - 2 years (415/monthly) winter can have 40k viewbots....


Assuming you came up with a link from google it should be no problem for you to source that...

Regardless, bandwidth, twitch accounts, and unique IPs cost money. The cost also increases as you scale up. I'm not saying that I know with any certainty that the number is close to $10k. I do know however that producing hundreds of views requires multiple servers, or, (more likely in my opinion) dozens of hacked computers with distinct IP addresses. That shit gets us into DDoS and blackhat territory and believe me it is very expensive.


Do you want me to post a link to a website that explicitly sells viewbot ? XDD (last word + .net, that's all i'll say)
for 100$/month i can pretend to be winter with 2.5k viewers and chatbot^^

I guess you got your numbers from here https://viewbot.net/

Assuming that website is legit (i really hope not), I have a number of statements to make...
- obviously I'm wayy off on my earlier estimate. my apologies for that
- I would guess that those people are able to provide the service at a reduced cost by using the same twitch accounts, servers, and IPs to raise the viewer count of what is probably dozens of streamers at the same time
- twitch.tv you guys have some fucking 'splaining to do



On March 17 2015 09:07 saltis wrote:
On March 17 2015 08:08 kryogenic wrote:

Regardless, bandwidth, twitch accounts, and unique IPs cost money. The cost also increases as you scale up. I'm not saying that I know with any certainty that the number is close to $10k. I do know however that producing hundreds of views requires multiple servers, or, (more likely in my opinion) dozens of hacked computers with distinct IP addresses. That shit gets us into DDoS and blackhat territory and believe me it is very expensive.


Dude please... all you say is theory crafting, it shows that you really have no real engineering knowledge. Please, don't even try it...

Please stfu if you're not going to add anything to the discussion


Me too, i was surprised by how little(?) money it cost to obtain huge numbers at least for sc2 and that's why i am not really happy about the statement of TL which doesnt provide help for streamers whom may be viewbot maliciously which is basically "ask twitch".
Why twitch will bother for a guy with 0.5k viewbots when they have several streams with 2-3k and maybe more ? :S

Unfortunately, viewbotting is an issue that can be dealt by Twitch only.

Well, just going by precedence... The two recent de-features were both streamers that became featured AFTER being botted. So, there is still no precedence on what would happen if an already featured streamer suddenly noticed that the viewer numbers are off.

I still find the idea of "malicious viewbotting" hilariously stupid... Seriously, who do I have to piss off to get some extra viewers?


And that's the question i am asking ^^

If your partnership application with twitch get suspended because of viewbotting like mario, will you still find it "hilariously stupid" ?


A stream popular enough to be featured likely has no reason to risk his position or reputation with viewbots. If he does notice a suspicious amount of views or activity on his stream, it's in his best interest to immediately consult Twitch and raise a red flag. It's the same case as HTOMario, except someone like this already had the numbers to be featured. The only problem with HTOMario was that he didn't have the numbers to be featured prior to getting botted.



Consulting twitch only leads to endless emails back and forth trying to figure out whether or not you're still getting botted. They have told me on many occasions that they are simply making it harder for bot vendors to bot channels which in turn makes the bots more expensive. This is the only thing that i've heard from twitch for the 4 years I have been broadcasting, and it's simply not an answer. So what does one do? Accept the fact that it happens, and let your viewers know when it's happening and carry on.

One of the things you guys needs to take into consideration is that as a broadcaster you can't always be touching on the possibilities of viewerbots, because the real viewers will start to get it into their mind that maybe this guy is just viewerbotting his channel and ultimately leave. Reverse psychology if you will.
Kevin_Sorbo
Profile Joined November 2011
Canada3217 Posts
March 17 2015 02:42 GMT
#333
thx TL for dealing with this lying kid.

I have to side with avilo on this one. Those who wield the sword of justice must take action.
I wish Nvidia's lawyers go after this kid and make him pay his sponsorship money back and that Rifkin is flown to the next HSC (just kidding lol).

unfortunately, he will probably smurf his way back on the streaming scene somehow. PleaseTL, next time dont wait so long to take the trash to the curb.Its your house, your rules. Its been months since TLers started asking questions in the monthly streamer numbers thread, only to be told to keep their mouths shut.
The community on this website knows what is a good stream and what is shit. This kid is a turd of a streamer; gameplay, gameknowledge, his fucking overlay, his gold smurfing ways, everything.... ( one of the best streams Ive seen in a long time was Destiny mimicking Winter's with a distorted picture, compulsively drinking from a disgusting bottle of water and thanking ppl all the time for their ''tier 1 subscription''. That was genius lol)

Anyways I wish we can leave this drama behind and that legit streamers get legit sponsors.

/rant
The mind is like a parachute, it doesnt work unless its open. - Zappa
BreAKerTV
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
Taiwan1658 Posts
March 17 2015 02:44 GMT
#334
Do these changes also apply to streamers that stream Heroes of the Storm?
Retired caster / streamer "BingeHD". Digital Nomad.
Kevin_Sorbo
Profile Joined November 2011
Canada3217 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-03-17 02:55:57
March 17 2015 02:55 GMT
#335
wrong thread
The mind is like a parachute, it doesnt work unless its open. - Zappa
lichter
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
1001 YEARS KESPAJAIL22272 Posts
March 17 2015 02:57 GMT
#336
On March 17 2015 11:32 Cazimirbzh wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 17 2015 10:40 lichter wrote:
On March 17 2015 10:10 Cazimirbzh wrote:
On March 17 2015 10:02 y0su wrote:
On March 17 2015 09:22 Cazimirbzh wrote:
On March 17 2015 09:11 kryogenic wrote:
On March 17 2015 09:08 Cazimirbzh wrote:
On March 17 2015 09:00 kryogenic wrote:
On March 17 2015 08:49 Cazimirbzh wrote:
On March 17 2015 08:40 kryogenic wrote:
[quote]

The cost of viewbotting depends on the length of time. In winter's case it would have cost probably close to ten thousand dollars over the course of his 1-2 years of streaming with bots.


after a quick search, for 10k $ - 2 years (415/monthly) winter can have 40k viewbots....


Assuming you came up with a link from google it should be no problem for you to source that...

Regardless, bandwidth, twitch accounts, and unique IPs cost money. The cost also increases as you scale up. I'm not saying that I know with any certainty that the number is close to $10k. I do know however that producing hundreds of views requires multiple servers, or, (more likely in my opinion) dozens of hacked computers with distinct IP addresses. That shit gets us into DDoS and blackhat territory and believe me it is very expensive.


Do you want me to post a link to a website that explicitly sells viewbot ? XDD (last word + .net, that's all i'll say)
for 100$/month i can pretend to be winter with 2.5k viewers and chatbot^^

I guess you got your numbers from here https://viewbot.net/

Assuming that website is legit (i really hope not), I have a number of statements to make...
- obviously I'm wayy off on my earlier estimate. my apologies for that
- I would guess that those people are able to provide the service at a reduced cost by using the same twitch accounts, servers, and IPs to raise the viewer count of what is probably dozens of streamers at the same time
- twitch.tv you guys have some fucking 'splaining to do



On March 17 2015 09:07 saltis wrote:
On March 17 2015 08:08 kryogenic wrote:

Regardless, bandwidth, twitch accounts, and unique IPs cost money. The cost also increases as you scale up. I'm not saying that I know with any certainty that the number is close to $10k. I do know however that producing hundreds of views requires multiple servers, or, (more likely in my opinion) dozens of hacked computers with distinct IP addresses. That shit gets us into DDoS and blackhat territory and believe me it is very expensive.


Dude please... all you say is theory crafting, it shows that you really have no real engineering knowledge. Please, don't even try it...

Please stfu if you're not going to add anything to the discussion


Me too, i was surprised by how little(?) money it cost to obtain huge numbers at least for sc2 and that's why i am not really happy about the statement of TL which doesnt provide help for streamers whom may be viewbot maliciously which is basically "ask twitch".
Why twitch will bother for a guy with 0.5k viewbots when they have several streams with 2-3k and maybe more ? :S

Unfortunately, viewbotting is an issue that can be dealt by Twitch only.

Well, just going by precedence... The two recent de-features were both streamers that became featured AFTER being botted. So, there is still no precedence on what would happen if an already featured streamer suddenly noticed that the viewer numbers are off.

I still find the idea of "malicious viewbotting" hilariously stupid... Seriously, who do I have to piss off to get some extra viewers?


And that's the question i am asking ^^

If your partnership application with twitch get suspended because of viewbotting like mario, will you still find it "hilariously stupid" ?


A stream popular enough to be featured likely has no reason to risk his position or reputation with viewbots. If he does notice a suspicious amount of views or activity on his stream, it's in his best interest to immediately consult Twitch and raise a red flag. It's the same case as HTOMario, except someone like this already had the numbers to be featured. The only problem with HTOMario was that he didn't have the numbers to be featured prior to getting botted.


So if Mario managed to reach the required numbers but still get viewbot and twitch doesnt respond to his issue, he can still be featured ? Can this situation impede his application to be featured ?

I know it's really hard to be a streamer with a decent viewership and being featured can help a lot. I felt bad for Mario because he's a good guy even if he's sometimes mean to yoshi. In this kind of situation, it's hard to not being able to do something against what's happening to you. If you know that the community will support you in this time, it's reassuring and will not demoralize thos who try to be streamer.


If people continue to viewbot him it will be difficult to support his stream on TL. I hope that you can all understand that TL's stream list is just an aggregation of streams. We can't actually do anything about the viewbots ourselves, as much as we would like to. It's very unfortunate and I've talked to HTOMario at length about it. It's a difficult situation and I really hope Twitch does something about it, because they are the only ones that really can.

On March 17 2015 11:35 ProTech wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 17 2015 10:40 lichter wrote:
On March 17 2015 10:10 Cazimirbzh wrote:
On March 17 2015 10:02 y0su wrote:
On March 17 2015 09:22 Cazimirbzh wrote:
On March 17 2015 09:11 kryogenic wrote:
On March 17 2015 09:08 Cazimirbzh wrote:
On March 17 2015 09:00 kryogenic wrote:
On March 17 2015 08:49 Cazimirbzh wrote:
On March 17 2015 08:40 kryogenic wrote:
[quote]

The cost of viewbotting depends on the length of time. In winter's case it would have cost probably close to ten thousand dollars over the course of his 1-2 years of streaming with bots.


after a quick search, for 10k $ - 2 years (415/monthly) winter can have 40k viewbots....


Assuming you came up with a link from google it should be no problem for you to source that...

Regardless, bandwidth, twitch accounts, and unique IPs cost money. The cost also increases as you scale up. I'm not saying that I know with any certainty that the number is close to $10k. I do know however that producing hundreds of views requires multiple servers, or, (more likely in my opinion) dozens of hacked computers with distinct IP addresses. That shit gets us into DDoS and blackhat territory and believe me it is very expensive.


Do you want me to post a link to a website that explicitly sells viewbot ? XDD (last word + .net, that's all i'll say)
for 100$/month i can pretend to be winter with 2.5k viewers and chatbot^^

I guess you got your numbers from here https://viewbot.net/

Assuming that website is legit (i really hope not), I have a number of statements to make...
- obviously I'm wayy off on my earlier estimate. my apologies for that
- I would guess that those people are able to provide the service at a reduced cost by using the same twitch accounts, servers, and IPs to raise the viewer count of what is probably dozens of streamers at the same time
- twitch.tv you guys have some fucking 'splaining to do



On March 17 2015 09:07 saltis wrote:
On March 17 2015 08:08 kryogenic wrote:

Regardless, bandwidth, twitch accounts, and unique IPs cost money. The cost also increases as you scale up. I'm not saying that I know with any certainty that the number is close to $10k. I do know however that producing hundreds of views requires multiple servers, or, (more likely in my opinion) dozens of hacked computers with distinct IP addresses. That shit gets us into DDoS and blackhat territory and believe me it is very expensive.


Dude please... all you say is theory crafting, it shows that you really have no real engineering knowledge. Please, don't even try it...

Please stfu if you're not going to add anything to the discussion


Me too, i was surprised by how little(?) money it cost to obtain huge numbers at least for sc2 and that's why i am not really happy about the statement of TL which doesnt provide help for streamers whom may be viewbot maliciously which is basically "ask twitch".
Why twitch will bother for a guy with 0.5k viewbots when they have several streams with 2-3k and maybe more ? :S

Unfortunately, viewbotting is an issue that can be dealt by Twitch only.

Well, just going by precedence... The two recent de-features were both streamers that became featured AFTER being botted. So, there is still no precedence on what would happen if an already featured streamer suddenly noticed that the viewer numbers are off.

I still find the idea of "malicious viewbotting" hilariously stupid... Seriously, who do I have to piss off to get some extra viewers?


And that's the question i am asking ^^

If your partnership application with twitch get suspended because of viewbotting like mario, will you still find it "hilariously stupid" ?


A stream popular enough to be featured likely has no reason to risk his position or reputation with viewbots. If he does notice a suspicious amount of views or activity on his stream, it's in his best interest to immediately consult Twitch and raise a red flag. It's the same case as HTOMario, except someone like this already had the numbers to be featured. The only problem with HTOMario was that he didn't have the numbers to be featured prior to getting botted.



Consulting twitch only leads to endless emails back and forth trying to figure out whether or not you're still getting botted. They have told me on many occasions that they are simply making it harder for bot vendors to bot channels which in turn makes the bots more expensive. This is the only thing that i've heard from twitch for the 4 years I have been broadcasting, and it's simply not an answer. So what does one do? Accept the fact that it happens, and let your viewers know when it's happening and carry on.

One of the things you guys needs to take into consideration is that as a broadcaster you can't always be touching on the possibilities of viewerbots, because the real viewers will start to get it into their mind that maybe this guy is just viewerbotting his channel and ultimately leave. Reverse psychology if you will.


It's a tough situation, yes. On the one hand, we don't want to support streams that are being botted because it encourages botters to continue. On the other hand, we don't want to harm innocent streamers by de-featuring them when they would otherwise deserve it. But doing nothing only perpetuates the problem. We'd like to believe that our stance against botting encourages Twitch to act with more immediacy, but only Twitch can find a solution to this. We do encourage streamers to inform us of their suspicions so that we act with more leniency regarding potential botting; they don't need to announce it to the world.
AdministratorYOU MUST HEED MY INSTRUCTIONS TAKE OFF YOUR THIIIINGS
Cazimirbzh
Profile Joined February 2014
334 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-03-17 03:19:41
March 17 2015 03:12 GMT
#337
On March 17 2015 11:57 lichter wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 17 2015 11:32 Cazimirbzh wrote:
On March 17 2015 10:40 lichter wrote:
On March 17 2015 10:10 Cazimirbzh wrote:
On March 17 2015 10:02 y0su wrote:
On March 17 2015 09:22 Cazimirbzh wrote:
On March 17 2015 09:11 kryogenic wrote:
On March 17 2015 09:08 Cazimirbzh wrote:
On March 17 2015 09:00 kryogenic wrote:
On March 17 2015 08:49 Cazimirbzh wrote:
[quote]

after a quick search, for 10k $ - 2 years (415/monthly) winter can have 40k viewbots....


Assuming you came up with a link from google it should be no problem for you to source that...

Regardless, bandwidth, twitch accounts, and unique IPs cost money. The cost also increases as you scale up. I'm not saying that I know with any certainty that the number is close to $10k. I do know however that producing hundreds of views requires multiple servers, or, (more likely in my opinion) dozens of hacked computers with distinct IP addresses. That shit gets us into DDoS and blackhat territory and believe me it is very expensive.


Do you want me to post a link to a website that explicitly sells viewbot ? XDD (last word + .net, that's all i'll say)
for 100$/month i can pretend to be winter with 2.5k viewers and chatbot^^

I guess you got your numbers from here https://viewbot.net/

Assuming that website is legit (i really hope not), I have a number of statements to make...
- obviously I'm wayy off on my earlier estimate. my apologies for that
- I would guess that those people are able to provide the service at a reduced cost by using the same twitch accounts, servers, and IPs to raise the viewer count of what is probably dozens of streamers at the same time
- twitch.tv you guys have some fucking 'splaining to do



On March 17 2015 09:07 saltis wrote:
On March 17 2015 08:08 kryogenic wrote:

Regardless, bandwidth, twitch accounts, and unique IPs cost money. The cost also increases as you scale up. I'm not saying that I know with any certainty that the number is close to $10k. I do know however that producing hundreds of views requires multiple servers, or, (more likely in my opinion) dozens of hacked computers with distinct IP addresses. That shit gets us into DDoS and blackhat territory and believe me it is very expensive.


Dude please... all you say is theory crafting, it shows that you really have no real engineering knowledge. Please, don't even try it...

Please stfu if you're not going to add anything to the discussion


Me too, i was surprised by how little(?) money it cost to obtain huge numbers at least for sc2 and that's why i am not really happy about the statement of TL which doesnt provide help for streamers whom may be viewbot maliciously which is basically "ask twitch".
Why twitch will bother for a guy with 0.5k viewbots when they have several streams with 2-3k and maybe more ? :S

Unfortunately, viewbotting is an issue that can be dealt by Twitch only.

Well, just going by precedence... The two recent de-features were both streamers that became featured AFTER being botted. So, there is still no precedence on what would happen if an already featured streamer suddenly noticed that the viewer numbers are off.

I still find the idea of "malicious viewbotting" hilariously stupid... Seriously, who do I have to piss off to get some extra viewers?


And that's the question i am asking ^^

If your partnership application with twitch get suspended because of viewbotting like mario, will you still find it "hilariously stupid" ?


A stream popular enough to be featured likely has no reason to risk his position or reputation with viewbots. If he does notice a suspicious amount of views or activity on his stream, it's in his best interest to immediately consult Twitch and raise a red flag. It's the same case as HTOMario, except someone like this already had the numbers to be featured. The only problem with HTOMario was that he didn't have the numbers to be featured prior to getting botted.


So if Mario managed to reach the required numbers but still get viewbot and twitch doesnt respond to his issue, he can still be featured ? Can this situation impede his application to be featured ?

I know it's really hard to be a streamer with a decent viewership and being featured can help a lot. I felt bad for Mario because he's a good guy even if he's sometimes mean to yoshi. In this kind of situation, it's hard to not being able to do something against what's happening to you. If you know that the community will support you in this time, it's reassuring and will not demoralize thos who try to be streamer.


If people continue to viewbot him it will be difficult to support his stream on TL. I hope that you can all understand that TL's stream list is just an aggregation of streams. We can't actually do anything about the viewbots ourselves, as much as we would like to. It's very unfortunate and I've talked to HTOMario at length about it. It's a difficult situation and I really hope Twitch does something about it, because they are the only ones that really can.

Show nested quote +
On March 17 2015 11:35 ProTech wrote:
On March 17 2015 10:40 lichter wrote:
On March 17 2015 10:10 Cazimirbzh wrote:
On March 17 2015 10:02 y0su wrote:
On March 17 2015 09:22 Cazimirbzh wrote:
On March 17 2015 09:11 kryogenic wrote:
On March 17 2015 09:08 Cazimirbzh wrote:
On March 17 2015 09:00 kryogenic wrote:
On March 17 2015 08:49 Cazimirbzh wrote:
[quote]

after a quick search, for 10k $ - 2 years (415/monthly) winter can have 40k viewbots....


Assuming you came up with a link from google it should be no problem for you to source that...

Regardless, bandwidth, twitch accounts, and unique IPs cost money. The cost also increases as you scale up. I'm not saying that I know with any certainty that the number is close to $10k. I do know however that producing hundreds of views requires multiple servers, or, (more likely in my opinion) dozens of hacked computers with distinct IP addresses. That shit gets us into DDoS and blackhat territory and believe me it is very expensive.


Do you want me to post a link to a website that explicitly sells viewbot ? XDD (last word + .net, that's all i'll say)
for 100$/month i can pretend to be winter with 2.5k viewers and chatbot^^

I guess you got your numbers from here https://viewbot.net/

Assuming that website is legit (i really hope not), I have a number of statements to make...
- obviously I'm wayy off on my earlier estimate. my apologies for that
- I would guess that those people are able to provide the service at a reduced cost by using the same twitch accounts, servers, and IPs to raise the viewer count of what is probably dozens of streamers at the same time
- twitch.tv you guys have some fucking 'splaining to do



On March 17 2015 09:07 saltis wrote:
On March 17 2015 08:08 kryogenic wrote:

Regardless, bandwidth, twitch accounts, and unique IPs cost money. The cost also increases as you scale up. I'm not saying that I know with any certainty that the number is close to $10k. I do know however that producing hundreds of views requires multiple servers, or, (more likely in my opinion) dozens of hacked computers with distinct IP addresses. That shit gets us into DDoS and blackhat territory and believe me it is very expensive.


Dude please... all you say is theory crafting, it shows that you really have no real engineering knowledge. Please, don't even try it...

Please stfu if you're not going to add anything to the discussion


Me too, i was surprised by how little(?) money it cost to obtain huge numbers at least for sc2 and that's why i am not really happy about the statement of TL which doesnt provide help for streamers whom may be viewbot maliciously which is basically "ask twitch".
Why twitch will bother for a guy with 0.5k viewbots when they have several streams with 2-3k and maybe more ? :S

Unfortunately, viewbotting is an issue that can be dealt by Twitch only.

Well, just going by precedence... The two recent de-features were both streamers that became featured AFTER being botted. So, there is still no precedence on what would happen if an already featured streamer suddenly noticed that the viewer numbers are off.

I still find the idea of "malicious viewbotting" hilariously stupid... Seriously, who do I have to piss off to get some extra viewers?


And that's the question i am asking ^^

If your partnership application with twitch get suspended because of viewbotting like mario, will you still find it "hilariously stupid" ?


A stream popular enough to be featured likely has no reason to risk his position or reputation with viewbots. If he does notice a suspicious amount of views or activity on his stream, it's in his best interest to immediately consult Twitch and raise a red flag. It's the same case as HTOMario, except someone like this already had the numbers to be featured. The only problem with HTOMario was that he didn't have the numbers to be featured prior to getting botted.



Consulting twitch only leads to endless emails back and forth trying to figure out whether or not you're still getting botted. They have told me on many occasions that they are simply making it harder for bot vendors to bot channels which in turn makes the bots more expensive. This is the only thing that i've heard from twitch for the 4 years I have been broadcasting, and it's simply not an answer. So what does one do? Accept the fact that it happens, and let your viewers know when it's happening and carry on.

One of the things you guys needs to take into consideration is that as a broadcaster you can't always be touching on the possibilities of viewerbots, because the real viewers will start to get it into their mind that maybe this guy is just viewerbotting his channel and ultimately leave. Reverse psychology if you will.


It's a tough situation, yes. On the one hand, we don't want to support streams that are being botted because it encourages botters to continue. On the other hand, we don't want to harm innocent streamers by de-featuring them when they would otherwise deserve it. But doing nothing only perpetuates the problem. We'd like to believe that our stance against botting encourages Twitch to act with more immediacy, but only Twitch can find a solution to this. We do encourage streamers to inform us of their suspicions so that we act with more leniency regarding potential botting; they don't need to announce it to the world.


Even if mario manage to reach the required numbers without counting bots, he cant be featured ?
So if someone maliciously viewbot Nony(because he's streaming right now^^) or even Huk(same :p) for 3-4 months, what'll happen to him ? defeatured ? can you damaged the visibility of a sc2 streamer for 20$ ?
lichter
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
1001 YEARS KESPAJAIL22272 Posts
March 17 2015 03:31 GMT
#338
We're observer Mario's stream for a bit to make sure the bots are gone and he reaches the requirement without the benefit of being featured for a while. Then we will refeature him.

For streamers who are already featured or are already popular, there is no reason to viewbot. They already have the numbers, and as long as they coordinate with twitch to get rid of the bots and don't have suspicion of viewbotting themselves, they won't be defeatured.
AdministratorYOU MUST HEED MY INSTRUCTIONS TAKE OFF YOUR THIIIINGS
Cazimirbzh
Profile Joined February 2014
334 Posts
March 17 2015 03:40 GMT
#339
On March 17 2015 12:31 lichter wrote:
We're observer Mario's stream for a bit to make sure the bots are gone and he reaches the requirement without the benefit of being featured for a while. Then we will refeature him.

For streamers who are already featured or are already popular, there is no reason to viewbot. They already have the numbers, and as long as they coordinate with twitch to get rid of the bots and don't have suspicion of viewbotting themselves, they won't be defeatured.


Thank you for this reassuring answer and for this explanation on how to deal with this issue.
NKexquisite
Profile Joined January 2009
United States911 Posts
March 17 2015 03:49 GMT
#340
TL has standards they need to live up to, so they should uphold their standards by NOT featuring Winter. As they stated this is not beneficial to the community and only encourages and promotes this sort of negative behavior. Congrats, TL.
Whattttt Upppppppp Im Nesteaaaaaa!!
Prev 1 15 16 17 18 19 31 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Patches Events
00:00
Patch Clash S1 Special #1
RotterdaM923
TKL 357
IndyStarCraft 255
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 923
ByuN 420
TKL 357
IndyStarCraft 255
BRAT_OK 45
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 46193
Calm 3014
firebathero 157
actioN 140
Free 45
Mong 32
ToSsGirL 29
Rock 26
soO 23
Aegong 20
[ Show more ]
Pusan 19
scan(afreeca) 17
Terrorterran 15
Sacsri 7
Dota 2
Gorgc9787
Dendi1121
League of Legends
Reynor206
Counter-Strike
fl0m5388
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King94
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby525
Liquid`Hasu277
MindelVK16
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi1784
FrodaN1067
Beastyqt748
B2W.Neo674
Mlord514
olofmeister481
Khaldor459
KnowMe300
crisheroes153
Livibee95
ToD61
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick230
BasetradeTV178
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hinosc 24
• Reevou 9
• Adnapsc2 7
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Airneanach59
• Azhi_Dahaki19
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV525
League of Legends
• Nemesis3295
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 1467
Other Games
• Shiphtur713
• imaqtpie286
Upcoming Events
BSL Open Qualifier
1h 42m
BSL Open Qualifier
1h 42m
OSC
5h 42m
Replay Cast
5h 42m
OSC
18h 42m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 17h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.