• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:02
CEST 15:02
KST 22:02
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup6StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9433 users

Starbow - Page 29

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 27 28 29 30 31 346 Next
chadissilent
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Canada1187 Posts
January 14 2014 03:30 GMT
#561
On January 14 2014 12:07 CannonsNCarriers wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 14 2014 11:59 Parcelleus wrote:
I checked out the Romsom vs Dirtybag (PvT).

-Vultures look way overpowered.
-Just massing of dragoons , I didnt like it at all
-Unit compositions were not varied and were mainly one or 2 units
-Much prefer the units and micro of sc2 to starbow
-Feels like if you are diehard BW fan you may like this mod
-Overall I much prefer SC2 HOTS , oh well I had a look


As it stands, Dragoons supply efficient and do well against everything besides siege-mode tanks. If they go bio, make goons + zealots. If they go mech, you need goons to deal with vultures. If they go air for some reason, goons are the best ground to air. The Starbow protoss army is Goons with a sprinkling of support.

TIL Starbow Dragoons = SC2 Marines.
AstrOtoss
Profile Joined June 2012
Australia19 Posts
January 14 2014 03:53 GMT
#562
That game betwen Sage and HTOMario was so insane god dammit this game is so good
Deleted User 97295
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
1137 Posts
January 14 2014 04:00 GMT
#563
--- Nuked ---
elmerpogs
Profile Joined August 2011
Philippines441 Posts
January 14 2014 04:03 GMT
#564
Can i play Starbow at Starcraft 2 Starter Edition?
SKT [img]http://i.imgur.com/1NuGXvx.png[/img] is still the best [img]http://i.imgur.com/MsxcOXX.png[/img]
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27456 Posts
January 14 2014 04:07 GMT
#565
We're getting to the stage we need a 'recommended Starbow VoDs' thread
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
Bagi
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany6799 Posts
January 14 2014 04:08 GMT
#566
On January 14 2014 13:03 elmerpogs wrote:
Can i play Starbow at Starcraft 2 Starter Edition?

Not right now I think. Starter edition only has limited access to certain Arcade games, so you'll have to wait until 2.1 hits to play Starbow.
xAdra
Profile Joined July 2012
Singapore1858 Posts
January 14 2014 04:11 GMT
#567
On January 14 2014 12:53 AstrOtoss wrote:
That game betwen Sage and HTOMario was so insane god dammit this game is so good

Is there a link to said game?
The_Red_Viper
Profile Blog Joined August 2013
19533 Posts
January 14 2014 04:13 GMT
#568
On January 14 2014 13:11 xAdra wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 14 2014 12:53 AstrOtoss wrote:
That game betwen Sage and HTOMario was so insane god dammit this game is so good

Is there a link to said game?

http://www.twitch.tv/zlfreebird#
IU | Sohyang || There is no God and we are his prophets | For if ‘Thou mayest’—it is also true that ‘Thou mayest not.” | Ignorance is the parent of fear |
FromShouri
Profile Blog Joined April 2012
United States862 Posts
January 14 2014 04:15 GMT
#569
On January 14 2014 12:30 chadissilent wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 14 2014 12:07 CannonsNCarriers wrote:
On January 14 2014 11:59 Parcelleus wrote:
I checked out the Romsom vs Dirtybag (PvT).

-Vultures look way overpowered.
-Just massing of dragoons , I didnt like it at all
-Unit compositions were not varied and were mainly one or 2 units
-Much prefer the units and micro of sc2 to starbow
-Feels like if you are diehard BW fan you may like this mod
-Overall I much prefer SC2 HOTS , oh well I had a look


As it stands, Dragoons supply efficient and do well against everything besides siege-mode tanks. If they go bio, make goons + zealots. If they go mech, you need goons to deal with vultures. If they go air for some reason, goons are the best ground to air. The Starbow protoss army is Goons with a sprinkling of support.

TIL Starbow Dragoons = SC2 Marines.


I feel like lurkers beat goons really well, same with hydras.
Limited Edition, lets do some simple addition, $50 for a T-Shirt is just some ignorant bitch shit.
elmerpogs
Profile Joined August 2011
Philippines441 Posts
January 14 2014 04:17 GMT
#570
The Youtube video of Starter Edition says you can have access to all arcade games... so Starbow is not an exception I guess. I dont have SC2 but the news that hit TL about Starbow gave me nerd chills... By the way im installing Starter Edition right now.
SKT [img]http://i.imgur.com/1NuGXvx.png[/img] is still the best [img]http://i.imgur.com/MsxcOXX.png[/img]
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
January 14 2014 04:21 GMT
#571
On January 14 2014 04:25 -stOpSKY- wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 14 2014 04:12 deacon.frost wrote:
Well, I hope this overhype will not shatter the sc2 player base. Because that would be the worse possible effect you could ever do for the sc2 ;-)


What does that even mean? If Starbow turns out to be better than SC2 why shouldn't it shatter the player base and gain popularity? I think they really missed the mark with SC2 and it became even worse in HoTS.

I would be all for having a BW based unit game with a mix of BW and SC2 mechanics.


I actually think hots is better then wol, not worse. Hots didn't make sc2 worse by any means (just watch last 6+ months of wol). Obviously I wish they would do more and better but I doubt it. I really wish blizzard would look at stuff like this and actually implement it. But they will do the same thing they did before they might acknowledge it (Wow yeah that's a great idea, we might look into it a little, but we like the design of sc2 right now).
When I think of something else, something will go here
Cheren
Profile Blog Joined September 2013
United States2911 Posts
January 14 2014 04:33 GMT
#572
On January 14 2014 13:07 Wombat_NI wrote:
We're getting to the stage we need a 'recommended Starbow VoDs' thread


Could use http://www.reddit.com/r/starbow for now.
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27456 Posts
January 14 2014 04:36 GMT
#573
I really dislike reddit but I shall make an exception in this one instance, thanks man.
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
ETisME
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
12888 Posts
January 14 2014 04:47 GMT
#574
On January 14 2014 13:36 Wombat_NI wrote:
I really dislike reddit but I shall make an exception in this one instance, thanks man.

I feel more community figures hang out in reddit than TL
其疾如风,其徐如林,侵掠如火,不动如山,难知如阴,动如雷震。
xAdra
Profile Joined July 2012
Singapore1858 Posts
January 14 2014 04:53 GMT
#575
On January 14 2014 13:13 The_Red_Viper wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 14 2014 13:11 xAdra wrote:
On January 14 2014 12:53 AstrOtoss wrote:
That game betwen Sage and HTOMario was so insane god dammit this game is so good

Is there a link to said game?

http://www.twitch.tv/zlfreebird#

Thank you!
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
January 14 2014 05:00 GMT
#576
On January 14 2014 13:47 ETisME wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 14 2014 13:36 Wombat_NI wrote:
I really dislike reddit but I shall make an exception in this one instance, thanks man.

I feel more community figures hang out in reddit than TL

Its harder for one to three people to hijack a thread in reddit with negative non-sense.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
Xova
Profile Joined November 2010
United States342 Posts
January 14 2014 05:03 GMT
#577
I like how they medivac works a lot better than ground medics. Is there any reason you chose to make implement dropships and medics instead of just using the medivac?
If you're a Starcraft fan, you're an Lim Yo Hwan fan.
superpanda27
Profile Blog Joined October 2012
111 Posts
January 14 2014 05:05 GMT
#578
On January 14 2014 11:58 Swisslink wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 14 2014 11:50 Alacast wrote:
On January 14 2014 10:47 superpanda27 wrote:
On January 14 2014 10:43 Alacast wrote:
On January 14 2014 10:41 Destructicon wrote:
On January 14 2014 10:37 Alacast wrote:
Am I crazy, or are most dps values significantly lower in BoW than SC2?


I think the units have comparable damage but slower attack speed, which does indeed result in less DPS. This + tendency of units in Starbow to spread out a bit, is there to offset the extreme killing efficiency of the SC2 engine, allows more time to micro and for the better player to distinguish himself via micro and army control.


Thank you -- in watching a few of these Axiom videos over the last few days, that was a very strong impression. I have always felt changing the damage values in SC2 alone would fix a lot of the perceived problems.

Except for the inherent problems that Protoss design has like early warpgates (as opposed to Starbow pushing it to tier 3) and the map maker's nightmare: forcefields.


I don't think FF or WG have been proven to be objectively bad. Some people don't like them, I understand, but they are unique and original mechanics.


... which make balancing REALLY hard and mapdesign very one-dimensional.

@Alacast ^what Swisslink said. Forcefields really hinder map making. The idea of WG is not inherently bad, but in other threads and posts about warpgate is because of it it has had the effect of making gateway units weaker among other things. Protoss design is a cycle of bandaids to make itself work with the way other races work and its own race works.

I'm very interested in the way Starbow places warpgate, granted I haven't seen anyone really use it quite yet. There are plus and minuses between gateway and warpgate, the way it should be in SC2. You trade off being able to produce dragoons and other gateway units faster for the ability to warp-in units closer or inside an opponents base.
Alacast
Profile Joined December 2011
United States205 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-01-14 05:13:37
January 14 2014 05:13 GMT
#579
On January 14 2014 14:05 superpanda27 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 14 2014 11:58 Swisslink wrote:
On January 14 2014 11:50 Alacast wrote:
On January 14 2014 10:47 superpanda27 wrote:
On January 14 2014 10:43 Alacast wrote:
On January 14 2014 10:41 Destructicon wrote:
On January 14 2014 10:37 Alacast wrote:
Am I crazy, or are most dps values significantly lower in BoW than SC2?


I think the units have comparable damage but slower attack speed, which does indeed result in less DPS. This + tendency of units in Starbow to spread out a bit, is there to offset the extreme killing efficiency of the SC2 engine, allows more time to micro and for the better player to distinguish himself via micro and army control.


Thank you -- in watching a few of these Axiom videos over the last few days, that was a very strong impression. I have always felt changing the damage values in SC2 alone would fix a lot of the perceived problems.

Except for the inherent problems that Protoss design has like early warpgates (as opposed to Starbow pushing it to tier 3) and the map maker's nightmare: forcefields.


I don't think FF or WG have been proven to be objectively bad. Some people don't like them, I understand, but they are unique and original mechanics.


... which make balancing REALLY hard and mapdesign very one-dimensional.

@Alacast ^what Swisslink said. Forcefields really hinder map making. The idea of WG is not inherently bad, but in other threads and posts about warpgate is because of it it has had the effect of making gateway units weaker among other things. Protoss design is a cycle of bandaids to make itself work with the way other races work and its own race works.

I'm very interested in the way Starbow places warpgate, granted I haven't seen anyone really use it quite yet. There are plus and minuses between gateway and warpgate, the way it should be in SC2. You trade off being able to produce dragoons and other gateway units faster for the ability to warp-in units closer or inside an opponents base.


I can appreciate what you're saying about WG/GW differences. I don't really understand why there is an option for you to alternate in SC2 currently, and I think it could use so tweaking.

With regards to FF, I think it can limit map making, but I think the strategies will evolve map by map. Theoretically a map with large chokes could still be viable but would force Protoss to make more sentries if they want to rely heavily on FF which could cut into their unit count. This may force their hand into a smaller range of options, but as recent Proleague matches have demonstrated, players can adapt quickly to new maps and generate novel strategies. I still thing SC2 is far too young for any definitive claims regarding the current state of race design to be made. Protoss / Zerg are extremely far removed from the 'traditional' RTS game-play mode, but that doesn't make them bad. It will just take getting used to.

That's all I'll say on this for now, and I hope Starbow continues to enjoy great success. As I said, the reduced damage seems to be a gigantic change to the core gameplay which I heartily support. Whether the addition changes are necessary to 'fix' SC2, to me, remains uncertain, and only more play in both games can make those comparisons possible down the road. Another aside is the sheer number of spells/upgrades which augment various units which I feel convolutes a simple yet flexible approach to the game. I am confident this will work itself out with time and best of luck!

Let us not rail about justice as long as we have arms and the freedom to use them. -Frank Herbert
hoby2000
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States918 Posts
January 14 2014 05:24 GMT
#580
On January 14 2014 10:08 Bagi wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 14 2014 07:24 Hider wrote:
On January 14 2014 07:10 RampancyTW wrote:
On January 14 2014 07:01 Hider wrote:
So I guess it might be "fun" from the player upgrading's perspective, but it doesn't really seem to be clear what your units are capable of to your opponent, and because there are so many different upgrades I imagine it's difficult to reliably predict.


Can you give me a practical example?
Having to research Consume, for example. You might spot a Defiler popping from an outlying expansion, but you might not know whether or not that's a window of opportunity for a snipe or a death trap in the next 20 seconds. First one that comes to mind off the top of my head, but the 120498124 Terran upgrades that I can't even keep track of or some non-specific ones that come to mind.


In Sc2 they have all these useless tech starport ups. In Sbow I think there are 3 new starport upgrades + upgrades from BW.

- Range upgrade is needed on barrack for bio due to the Dragoon pressure thing.

- Matrix has to be an upgrade. Otherwise it becomes too powerfull early game.

- Consume, perhaps its not neccesary to be an upgrade, but it was like that in BW, and we prefer to keep BW as a core (for balance purposes) unless we believe we can improve the playing experience by making some changes. I, do however, agree that if it had no uninteded balance consequences to make Defilers start with it, then it would be fine to give it to them for free.

- Terran has an ebay-upgrade to seperate scan energy cost from macromechanics. This is needed, otherwise terran wouldn't be able to use macromechanics as much in the mid/late game as scan become very important during this stage. Further, I don't see at all how this upgrade makes the game less fluent.

Thinking about anything else?

I'd say at first glance the reaper, banshee, dropship and viking upgrades are all kinda weird and unnecessary. These are not units you build in great numbers, rather balance them around not needing upgrades at all. Why are there so damn many range upgrades? Also I dont think every caster needs to have 2 researchable spells + a useless energy upgrade just because BW did it.

Overall I just think there are a little too many ideas and gimmicks in the current state of starbow (manually detonating mines, looking at you). Its still an amazing mod though, and with some good polish it could very well challenge SC2 or at least Blizzards vision of where the game should be going.

Show nested quote +
On January 14 2014 10:05 hoby2000 wrote:
Seriously though, I played it last night and it's dead on. This is what SC2 should have been. I'm honestly amazed at how much you were willing to cut down from your original mod (oh, i remember it... haha).

If you want to try to make this a cool indie game though, Kickstarter the project. It's obvious you know what you're doing in terms of mechanics and balance, so I wouldn't think it's that far off for people to want you to make your own Indie RTS based on Starcraft mechanics and ideas.

Be the LoL of Starcraft, for the love of god, please.

I think you underestimate the amount of work it takes to create an RTS game from scratch...



Who said I was saying do it from scratch? And while I know it takes a long time to make a game in general, I think this could gain more popularity if he figured out how to make it stand alone. Because then Blizzard doesn't just absorb this dude into balance design and ruin him as I know they will.
A lesson without pain is meaningless for nothing can be gained without giving something in return.
Prev 1 27 28 29 30 31 346 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
INu's Battles
20:00
INu's Battles#21
herO vs Rogue
Classic vs TBD
IntoTheiNu 1061
LiquipediaDiscussion
Sparkling Tuna Cup
19:00
Weekly #149 (SHIN Mod Edition)
ByuN vs KrystianerLIVE!
CranKy Ducklings225
CranKy Ducklings SOOP20
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech125
CosmosSc2 7
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 48692
Shuttle 11629
FanTaSy 1541
Hyuk 961
Horang2 464
BeSt 442
EffOrt 242
Stork 223
Last 184
Zeus 147
[ Show more ]
Soma 124
Pusan 121
Mind 110
hero 90
ggaemo 73
Hyun 72
Killer 69
Sea.KH 60
Hm[arnc] 52
sorry 49
Snow 49
PianO 43
ToSsGirL 34
Bale 29
Aegong 25
zelot 20
JYJ 18
Sexy 18
NaDa 14
Sacsri 12
ajuk12(nOOB) 10
Noble 9
Icarus 3
Dota 2
qojqva1281
Dendi1146
XcaliburYe333
Gorgc70
Counter-Strike
fl0m3019
x6flipin748
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu546
Khaldor166
Other Games
gofns41105
B2W.Neo1089
byalli822
Beastyqt283
Hui .165
Livibee160
ArmadaUGS112
Mew2King58
Mlord17
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick687
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream63
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 15
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix10
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis1896
Upcoming Events
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
1h 59m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
5h 59m
BSL Open Qualifier
5h 59m
Replay Cast
9h 59m
Afreeca Starleague
20h 59m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
21h 59m
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 2h
Replay Cast
1d 9h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 20h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 21h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.