• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:41
CEST 05:41
KST 12:41
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach1[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon101Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool The Death of Cheese: From a Professional Cheeser
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ StarCraft Human 'N' AI League
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10832 users

Changes in League Distribution [Graphs and Data] - Page 2

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
imrepresent
Profile Joined December 2013
United States7 Posts
December 04 2013 19:35 GMT
#21
I'm really hating this new system. I'm gold in 2v2 and every game is just me and my friend getting stomped by people who should be in masters league.
Starcraft Name: Represent - Code: 779 - Region NA - Mech Gang or Die - Bronze League Brawler
zajeBEASTY
Profile Joined March 2011
Poland40 Posts
December 05 2013 22:27 GMT
#22
On December 05 2013 04:30 Kyrao wrote:
Anyone else find it interesting to see that the player base went from 367,439 to 211,965 in 6 months? That's over a 40% decline...

Its nothing unusual to be true - when hots lunched many new and old players started to play - its normall for every game, every expansion. It would be better to know the numbers a 1-2 month before hots lunch to compare.
http://www.duchprawdy.com/poemat.htm / http://www.valtorta.org/the_poem__freeonlinereadingoffer.asp - Poemat Boga-Człowieka / Poem of the Man-God
CutTheEnemy
Profile Joined November 2013
Canada373 Posts
December 05 2013 22:30 GMT
#23
I think that most of the gold and below players just switched to unranked, hence the league adjustments.
Can we help spread the word and create pressure to get Rob Pardo to replace Browder as head of Sc2? Pardo led the team for broodwar, frozen throne, and wow/BC. We need to make this a thing before LotV development starts. Think about it.
seak99
Profile Joined November 2013
Canada69 Posts
December 05 2013 23:18 GMT
#24
That's crazy that almost half the player base is now in bronze... demoralizing to say the least.
That shouldn't have anything to do with the player base. I thought they had set percentages for the league.
Like Masters at 2, Diamond at 18, plat at 20.. and so on
DomiNater
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States527 Posts
December 05 2013 23:25 GMT
#25
Damn... thanks for this. It makes so much sense. I was Diamond back in WoL but now I'm Gold in 1v1 on HotS. I was playing ZvT and getting double/triple dropped by Terrans as they were also attacking my natural... I hadn't seen people play like that in a LONG time in my Gold league.
After I captured the elephant in the room, swept her under the rug for the hell of it... I welcome you to the melting through, of a planet that was selfish in its development of a healthy view.
Hoon
Profile Joined December 2010
Brazil891 Posts
December 07 2013 03:41 GMT
#26
That's a much better looking league distribution.
SEn Fanclub: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=170834
Excalibur_Z
Profile Joined October 2002
United States12256 Posts
December 07 2013 03:45 GMT
#27
I saw this same chart posted on Reddit. This was my response to that:

I want to point out a very important caveat when it comes to these charts: the data is muddied regarding who has and hasn't decayed. As we've established by now, the inactivity threshold is two weeks and decay ramps up to an average league's worth of rating at four weeks linearly, where it caps out.

Are Bronze and Silver 65%+ of the player pool? Yes and no. In terms of all accounts present in the ladder, yes, the nios.kr/SC2Ranks data is accurate. However, in terms of the active playerbase it's probably not nearly that skewed.

Remember that there are now two metrics which measure "activity": one is the league apportionment metric which defines the league rating boundaries through a certain number of weeks' worth of unspent bonus pool (I covered this in a TL post previously), and the other is the decay metric that I just mentioned. The former is intended to redistribute the leagues according to the ideal distribution, which it appears to do effectively when viewed through the apportionment metric lens, and the latter is designed to cater to inactive users so they're not overwhelmed when they become rusty and return to the game.

I would like to see a parse which sorts players by last game played per league, as well as a parse covering the number of games played per league. That way, we might have a better idea as to how many within that 65% figure actually constitute players who are queued up playing games.

Because of decay, inactive players are pushed downward a little bit. This has been going on since HotS Season 1, and we're in Season 6 now. If a Master player just played his placement match every season and that's it, like a lot of players tend to do, then by now he'd be in Bronze. Is that necessarily a problem? Again, yes and no. Yes because on a micro scale, it sucks if a true-Bronze player faces a player with Master-level mechanics. Even if that Master-level player is pretty rusty, it's going to be a stomp, flat out. However, that decayed player is only playing one game per season, meaning his impact on the entire Bronze league ends after that one game. The players in lower leagues will face a range of active true-leaguers and decayed players, we just don't know the frequency of each. It's also no secret that the lower the skill segment, the lower the activity level in general (Master players simply play more often, that's why their bonus pool accumulation rate is higher), and this complicates the matter because the number of active low-leaguers is pretty small to begin with.

I also wanted to acknowledge the declining playerbase. First, the data in the image is a little misleading. Season 3 ended on June 11, 2013 and the June 1 snapshot here is only ten days before the end of the season. Season 6, which we're in now, will end on December 27, 2013 -- twenty-four days away. That's not to say the playerbase hasn't declined, though. It has, and that's happened with every season after a product launch. Are we going to get 150,000 players to join the ladder in two weeks? Probably not. At least at that time, though, we'll be comparing apples to apples. Here are a couple of data points I was able to grab from archive.org snapshots of SC2Ranks:

Season 14 (Aug 19 2013 snapshot [season ends Aug 26 2013], SC2Ranks 2.0 overhaul): 471,590 players
Season 15 (Nov 7 2013 snapshot [season ends Nov 11 2013]): 354,694 players

Second, it's unclear why players are quitting the game. Maybe there are other games that have captured their interest, maybe it really is ladder frustration, maybe it's burnout, we can only speculate.
Moderator
Psychobabas
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
2531 Posts
December 07 2013 03:47 GMT
#28
Proud to be in Masters then xD
Bulugulu
Profile Joined March 2011
Israel250 Posts
December 07 2013 03:54 GMT
#29
I like this, even though some people that were higher leagues are kind of pissed now.
This way it means a bit more to be in those leagues.
“Before enlightenment; chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment; chop wood, carry water.”
NiHiLuSsc2
Profile Blog Joined November 2012
United States50 Posts
December 07 2013 04:13 GMT
#30
for fucks sake, can we shrink gold league back down to where it was back in WoL please. there is going to be an influx of trash preventing players who deserve to be promoted back
PBJT
phodacbiet
Profile Joined August 2010
United States1740 Posts
December 07 2013 04:18 GMT
#31
Well.. the master distribution seems about right for the top but a bit broken for diamond and below. Blizzard did say they wanted 2% for master, not 10% that it turned out to be. Now just take the 30% in bronze and 8% in silver and give 14% to diamond, 13% to plat, and the rest to gold and the league distribution should be fine. So based on this graph though it shows that master is fine... so if youre not in master i dont think its the game =/. The only problem now is that people cant say "i am a diamond playing at a master level but i have grandmaster knowledge cause i watch lots of day9 and gsl" anymore but they can say "i should be master but game broken blame blizz"
rice_devOurer
Profile Joined July 2012
United States773 Posts
December 07 2013 05:02 GMT
#32
I remember diamond (hots season 2) being easier than the gold league I am in these days.... I guess this might explain part of it?
IN SOVIET RUSSIA ノ┬─┬ノ ︵ ( \o°o)\ Table Flips you
Genie1
Profile Joined April 2011
Canada333 Posts
December 07 2013 05:59 GMT
#33
I bet more people play unranked over ranked. I think the system needs an overhaul.
[RAVEN ONLINE] "You don't talk like us" [....CAW CAW] -QXC
Faust852
Profile Joined February 2012
Luxembourg4004 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-12-07 06:02:09
December 07 2013 06:02 GMT
#34
I wonder why it's so hard for Blizzard to balance the thing out, it should quite be easy right ?
Drake
Profile Joined October 2010
Germany6146 Posts
December 07 2013 06:02 GMT
#35
well at first 2% in master would be perfect, so its still to much (the 7% was a bug and they try to fix it)
also its only half the players, so when you try fix such a bug AND half the players left the game ... its ok it needs a bit of time and ALSO there are still TO MUCH! players in master !
Nb.Drake / CoL_Drake / Original Joined TL.net Tuesday, 15th of March 2005
Excalibur_Z
Profile Joined October 2002
United States12256 Posts
December 07 2013 07:02 GMT
#36
Again, the numbers just don't reflect the in-game reality. The lower leagues are larger because of inactive players decaying downward, so their position is moot anyway since they're playing so few games. Some of them intend to be active and are just coming back from an extended break, in which case they won't remain in their lower league for very long if they return to their former skill level.

Is the system working as intended? Yes. Players are decaying according to specification.

Are there unintended consequences? Not really, no. Blizzard doesn't need to acknowledge aggregator sites like SC2Ranks/Nios.kr because they have all the data stored internally, and the way they read the populations is through an activity filter that those sites don't use.

The real question is whether the decay is too aggressive and causing players to either play less often or quit outright. They could try tuning the decay rate or tuning the cap, or by introducing a rebound mechanic to catch up on decay. It could be some combination of these.
Moderator
RJ231
Profile Joined January 2011
Canada19 Posts
December 07 2013 07:03 GMT
#37
On December 07 2013 12:45 Excalibur_Z wrote:
Second, it's unclear why players are quitting the game. Maybe there are other games that have captured their interest, maybe it really is ladder frustration, maybe it's burnout, we can only speculate.


I thought I would give my opinion on this as I am one of the players who basically dropped the game after investing quite a lot of time/energy into it and I know a number of other high level players who did the same for similar reasons. The biggest issue is mainly that the game just isn't properly balanced, this along with the fact that blizzard takes far too long to admit their balance/design mistakes makes for some very frustrating and exhausting games. The thing I always hear people say is "well x just won this tournament so clearly x race isn't under powered" and they fail to realize that for the majority of the player base that unbalanced situation usually plays out much more clearly in the lower levels. If widow mines are tearing the very best zergs on the planet apart and costing them games how do you think I feel when I'm playing in master league and instantly lose the game to a unit that automatically fired a missile from underground and just wiped out a huge chunk of my army. When you see top players playing they are completely aware of the imbalances of the game and will do whatever they can to abuse/mitigate their effectiveness. For the average SC2 enthusiast they aren't quite as adept at recognizing these things and dealing with them so they end up losing to these forces in catastrophic ways that feels very bad to be quite honest, it doesn't help that it tends to happen again and again.

I think that if Blizzard did a better job of acknowledging the imbalance in their games and were more proactive it would feel better as a player, it's exciting to me when I hear they've nerfed that or buffed this because it means now the game is likely more fair and there's this feeling that it's sort of "new" again since the match ups won't revolve around certain imbalances quite as much. I think another big issue is the game just isn't friendly to newer players, how do you actually play a race like zerg casually? For the race to even function you need to be on 80+ drones, have 4 hatcheries and then spend hours mastering weird keyboard sequences so your macro isn't complete crap. When I watch a game like league of legends on stream I can get excited and can go enter into a game and have a pretty decent time, maybe I'm not great but I don't necessarily feel like I'm being punished actively by the game for being new to it. There's this sort of progression to other games that I don't feel like SC2 has; either you're decent at it or you're complete garbage at it - and when you spend time trying to become decent at it you'll be constantly reminded of how slow it takes blizzard to actually fix things and how badly it feels to push yourself to your limit and then die to a giant attack-move protoss death ball.
Swift118
Profile Joined January 2012
United Kingdom335 Posts
December 07 2013 10:48 GMT
#38
On December 07 2013 16:03 RJ231 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 07 2013 12:45 Excalibur_Z wrote:
Second, it's unclear why players are quitting the game. Maybe there are other games that have captured their interest, maybe it really is ladder frustration, maybe it's burnout, we can only speculate.


I thought I would give my opinion on this as I am one of the players who basically dropped the game after investing quite a lot of time/energy into it and I know a number of other high level players who did the same for similar reasons. The biggest issue is mainly that the game just isn't properly balanced, this along with the fact that blizzard takes far too long to admit their balance/design mistakes makes for some very frustrating and exhausting games. The thing I always hear people say is "well x just won this tournament so clearly x race isn't under powered" and they fail to realize that for the majority of the player base that unbalanced situation usually plays out much more clearly in the lower levels. If widow mines are tearing the very best zergs on the planet apart and costing them games how do you think I feel when I'm playing in master league and instantly lose the game to a unit that automatically fired a missile from underground and just wiped out a huge chunk of my army. When you see top players playing they are completely aware of the imbalances of the game and will do whatever they can to abuse/mitigate their effectiveness. For the average SC2 enthusiast they aren't quite as adept at recognizing these things and dealing with them so they end up losing to these forces in catastrophic ways that feels very bad to be quite honest, it doesn't help that it tends to happen again and again.

I think that if Blizzard did a better job of acknowledging the imbalance in their games and were more proactive it would feel better as a player, it's exciting to me when I hear they've nerfed that or buffed this because it means now the game is likely more fair and there's this feeling that it's sort of "new" again since the match ups won't revolve around certain imbalances quite as much. I think another big issue is the game just isn't friendly to newer players, how do you actually play a race like zerg casually? For the race to even function you need to be on 80+ drones, have 4 hatcheries and then spend hours mastering weird keyboard sequences so your macro isn't complete crap. When I watch a game like league of legends on stream I can get excited and can go enter into a game and have a pretty decent time, maybe I'm not great but I don't necessarily feel like I'm being punished actively by the game for being new to it. There's this sort of progression to other games that I don't feel like SC2 has; either you're decent at it or you're complete garbage at it - and when you spend time trying to become decent at it you'll be constantly reminded of how slow it takes blizzard to actually fix things and how badly it feels to push yourself to your limit and then die to a giant attack-move protoss death ball.


Also LoL has the advantage of being able to blame team mates + imbalance for loses. Quite the plus for those who don't like to admit when they are sucking. Anyways sc2 is fairly good RTS for casuals, admittedly the speed the game moves at is maybe not casual friendly (seeing your whole army die in 3 seconds flat after being slightly out of position can be brutal). If you want to be reminded how an RTS can be incredibly not causal friendly I suggest you install sc1 bw. The design argument is fair enough and something everyone is entitled to an opinion on, regardless the level you play at. For me sc2 Protoss is like a good RTS race.......... for another RTS. Always needed a redesign imo.
Mahavishnu
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada396 Posts
December 07 2013 10:52 GMT
#39
On December 05 2013 04:15 tar wrote:
So what, if I end in Gold/Silver/Bronze one day yet my oppoentns still play decently, I have no objections.

Why isn't this the only reaction ever?
everything is gravity
NicksonReyes
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Philippines4431 Posts
December 07 2013 11:06 GMT
#40
I first started to ladder when HotS was released. Diamond in 2 seasons and stuck in Plat in my third, then stopped playing ever since I guess partly because of this. This is demotivating and frustrating sure, but it's more of my problem than Blizzard's. People might be stuck in a lower league now than where they were a few seasons ago but they are still with people around the same skill level as them.
"Start yo" -FlaSh
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
00:00
2026 GSTL: Grand Finals
CranKy Ducklings115
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
23:00
OSC Masters Cup #151 Qualifier
davetesta29
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 248
StarCraft: Brood War
HiyA 121
hero 43
Terrorterran 9
Dota 2
monkeys_forever1123
NeuroSwarm198
League of Legends
JimRising 710
Counter-Strike
taco 452
minikerr34
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King151
hungrybox114
Other Games
summit1g9181
Maynarde209
ArmadaUGS44
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick494
StarCraft: Brood War
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 9
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 155
• practicex 19
• Letter145
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 3
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo946
• Rush881
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
6h 19m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
7h 19m
Monday Night Weeklies
12h 19m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 6h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 6h
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 20h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.