• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 06:55
CEST 12:55
KST 19:55
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach3[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double0Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon103
StarCraft 2
General
Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10051 users

Dustin Browder's Interview at PC Gamer - Page 3

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
MavivaM
Profile Joined November 2011
1535 Posts
January 25 2013 13:08 GMT
#41
On January 25 2013 22:03 Epamynondas wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 25 2013 21:44 MavivaM wrote:
Iirc Sc2 sold about 1.5 million copies in the very first days: let's say that the number hasn't changed.
That means that Browder met around 750.000 people in real life just because they wanted to congratulate for the single player campaign's glorious experience.

One would think that Blizzard has access to the number of people who bought the game and the number of people who ladder.

That's an intelligent post and I never thought about that.
So there are 2.5 million of people who bought the game only to go online and play the single campaign?

...I still hope he is bullshitting us >_>
Your Opinion has been counted. Only 3 more Opinions needed for a reddit thread.
Mahanaim
Profile Joined December 2012
Korea (South)1002 Posts
January 25 2013 13:27 GMT
#42
Browder, I truly appreciate you. No matter what others say, I KNOW you are putting some serious considerations into EVERY SINGLE action you make, thanks man.
Celebrating Starcraft since... a long time ago.
Veldril
Profile Joined August 2010
Thailand1817 Posts
January 25 2013 13:30 GMT
#43
On January 25 2013 22:08 MavivaM wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 25 2013 22:03 Epamynondas wrote:
On January 25 2013 21:44 MavivaM wrote:
Iirc Sc2 sold about 1.5 million copies in the very first days: let's say that the number hasn't changed.
That means that Browder met around 750.000 people in real life just because they wanted to congratulate for the single player campaign's glorious experience.

One would think that Blizzard has access to the number of people who bought the game and the number of people who ladder.

That's an intelligent post and I never thought about that.
So there are 2.5 million of people who bought the game only to go online and play the single campaign?

...I still hope he is bullshitting us >_>


He is not. You will be surprised how many people outside of SC community hates Multiplayer and never touch it.

The problem with Teamliquid community is that we are sometimes too tightly focus on one game and not notice the trend or opinion of general public.
Without love, we can't see anything. Without love, the truth can't be seen. - Umineko no Naku Koro Ni
SmoKim
Profile Joined March 2010
Denmark10305 Posts
January 25 2013 13:59 GMT
#44
From your perspective, what is killing eSports?

Browder: [Laughs] I thought I was killing eSports. I thought that was my title. I have the crown! That’s what Twitter keeps saying.

That’s the silliest question, because nothing is killing eSports. It’s growing at logarithmic rates. Did you ever think we would be here, in this, place, two and a half years later? We’re just swimming in pros, and so many events you can’t even keep track of them all. Like, we used to talk about timing patches relative to major eSports events. Now there’s no way.


There is no way for us to patch Wings of Liberty without it hitting an eSport event. We went live with our beta in the US, because we thought that was going to be enough to give us testing. And we have had nothing but feedback from all over the world that’s, “So, when can I run my tournament? I want to run a [Heart of the Swarm] tournament. I’m in Korea, or I’m in Europe. When can I run a HotS tournament?”

It’s just constant. The amount of constant input coming into this studio, “More! More! This! That!” It’s just insane. So, the idea that anything is killing eSports is nuts. eSports is growing out of control. It’s alive and breathing and flying away. I have no idea when it’s going to stop.

And I think the StarCraft community should take some pride and joy in that. They should take some ownership of that, and say, “We did that. We helped build this. We are ground-floor, core contributors to what makes any eSport going forward.” They should, in their minds and hearts, claim some of that. Because they’ve absolutely earned it. They were on the ground floor. They were here when it really started to happen.


Hat's off, completely agree with his gratitude to this community
"LOL I have 202 supply right now (3 minutes later)..."LOL NOW I HAVE 220 SUPPLY SUP?!?!?" - Mondragon
castlewise
Profile Joined August 2010
31 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-25 14:06:32
January 25 2013 13:59 GMT
#45
On January 25 2013 22:30 Veldril wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 25 2013 22:08 MavivaM wrote:
On January 25 2013 22:03 Epamynondas wrote:
On January 25 2013 21:44 MavivaM wrote:
Iirc Sc2 sold about 1.5 million copies in the very first days: let's say that the number hasn't changed.
That means that Browder met around 750.000 people in real life just because they wanted to congratulate for the single player campaign's glorious experience.

One would think that Blizzard has access to the number of people who bought the game and the number of people who ladder.

That's an intelligent post and I never thought about that.
So there are 2.5 million of people who bought the game only to go online and play the single campaign?

...I still hope he is bullshitting us >_>


He is not. You will be surprised how many people outside of SC community hates Multiplayer and never touch it.

The problem with Teamliquid community is that we are sometimes too tightly focus on one game and not notice the trend or opinion of general public.


^This

I like SC2, bought the game, beat it on brutal, 100%'ed the sp achievements, and watch a lot of husky casts. (I even got the Here Comes the Hammer achievement on Left 2 Die while playing solo because I didn't want to deal with multi.) On the RPS forums, or the Escapist this would be enough to qualify me as an avid SC2 fan. I also lurk on the team liquid forums enough to know that here those things qualify me as the worst sort of noob. SC2 multi has a strong community, but it can be hostile and dismissive to outsiders and outside opinions.


IronyDK
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Denmark142 Posts
January 25 2013 14:13 GMT
#46
--- Nuked ---
shadymmj
Profile Joined June 2010
1906 Posts
January 25 2013 16:14 GMT
#47
I think this may sound quite strange, but hear me out. Whoever designed wc3 was a genius. Browder, well, he's not.

When I bought wc3, one of the questions I asked myself was, "why not go online and have a look?"
After 2-3 years after TFT, I found myself asking, "why would anyone NOT go online when there's so much on offer?"

sc2, however, pushes you online straightaway.
After spending the first month or so getting into diamond, I began to ask myself, "why do I even bother going online?"

wc3, in short, was a very compelling online game with endless replayability. I'm sure many people remember Enfo's, wintermaul, WMW, Battleships, are you a retard, escape gay space, slide spongebob slide, X hero siege, castle defence, zoator, skibi, ryoko TD...and of course DOTA. wc3 gave me 8 years of entertainment for the price of a game and an expansion.

There is no such thing is "e-sports". There is Brood War, and then there is crap for nerds.
Targe
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
United Kingdom14103 Posts
January 25 2013 16:21 GMT
#48
Not quite sure what he is on about with logarithmicly?

The bit about him killing esports made me lol though :D
11/5/14 CATACLYSM | The South West's worst Falco main
ThePlayer33
Profile Joined October 2011
Australia2378 Posts
January 25 2013 16:21 GMT
#49
eh? growing at logarithmic rates == sounds like bs

when we say growing exponentially it is just part of speech...
| Idra | YuGiOh | Leenock | Coca |
Ettick
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States2434 Posts
January 25 2013 16:25 GMT
#50
On January 25 2013 04:58 Insoleet wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +


Will we get modifiable rocks? Movable rocks? Liftable rocks?

Browder: Ooh, flying rocks? Flying rocks! Like Outland, they’re all floating up there!

And they block movement for flyers, unless you destroy them! Oh yes, that’s good. Legacy of the Void: Flying rocks.


This could be freaking cool haha

Really nice interview overall !

New LotV map: Netherstorm
CrazyBirdman
Profile Joined July 2011
Germany3509 Posts
January 25 2013 16:35 GMT
#51
On January 25 2013 22:03 Epamynondas wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 25 2013 21:44 MavivaM wrote:
Iirc Sc2 sold about 1.5 million copies in the very first days: let's say that the number hasn't changed.
That means that Browder met around 750.000 people in real life just because they wanted to congratulate for the single player campaign's glorious experience.

One would think that Blizzard has access to the number of people who bought the game and the number of people who ladder.

They also know how many people finished the campaign which would be a good indicator that they liked it. In terms of those numbers Blizzard surely knows what they are talking about. If the SP wouldn't play an enormous role in the succes of the game they wouldn't pump so much money in CGI-Trailers and center the mainstream marketing around it.
Wivyx
Profile Joined May 2009
Norway624 Posts
January 25 2013 16:39 GMT
#52
On January 25 2013 21:44 MavivaM wrote:
Dustin Browder never fails to make me tilt my head.
He seems like a pretty nice and funny guy, and also he's willing to keep having interviews (although PcGamer isn't exactly the SC2 community) and exposing himself.

But I really can't get if he's clueless or he plays stupid.

This gem:
Show nested quote +
Browder: But many, many of our players, I run into them all the time at conventions, say, “I’m not really into multiplayer, but I love the campaign.” That’s very common. And these guys just aren’t on the boards. They’re not posting. But they make up easily half of our audience.

Now, unless I'm stupid Browder wants us to believe that Sc2 fans, some of the MOST VOCAL videogames fans around, apparently love the single player campaign... but they shut up, they don't speak about the great plot twists, the romantic love story and the deep character evolution from the previous game.
Simply to avoid wasting space on the internet, even in Blizzard forums: they just wait for him to pass by and then praise him for the great innovations.
At least half of the fans?
Iirc Sc2 sold about 1.5 million copies in the very first days: let's say that the number hasn't changed.
That means that Browder met around 750.000 people in real life just because they wanted to congratulate for the single player campaign's glorious experience.
Or at least they PM'ed him, since I don't recall all this enthusiasm both on TL or Blizzard forums.
I hope he is bullshitting us since he wants to sell HoTS and actually doesn't really think like that, multiplayer it's what keep his game to be played.

I can see him talking about meta possibilities and giving us the example of a gold league player since Sc2 is not only for pros but even for baboons like myself, but then he talks about maps, innovations and the community feedback and I get mad.
All Blizzard maps are quite bad, there are a lot of solid - and especially willing to contribute - mapmakers, but afaik no one even contacted then.
The only time Blizzard decided to implement new maps, was because someone else - Team Liquid - made a contest.
The unranked system seems to be a concern, but other games such as League of legends show that it works. They could have even simply made another, identical same rank system and not show the ladder points to players (and I suspect that's exactly what they are doing) without making such a fuss.

With all the talking about esports dying and so on, I still don't see it that bleak.
The community is simply great, the game may have some flaws but it's far from being bad, unwatchable or unplayable.
yet the one who seems the least helping is Blizzard, insanely enough.
Tell what you want about Riot, their 'true' streaming numbers and the objective quality of their game at pro level, but here's the thing: they check the game and update him at least once a month.
They are always there.
New skins, art contests, even something as simple as the lobby image change.
From time to time they add new game features and so on.

Blizzard should be a way more accomplished company and yet we have to wait them to sell a whole new game JUST TO HAVE THE NEW REPLAY PATCH.
And to think that unlike League of legends, Sc2 could have an immense map pool and possibilities everywhere.
There are people who create mods for free, even if only to improve the game experience like the Stronger Team Colour one, for hell's sake!

I mean, up until some time ago you must even pay to change a stupid username.
Browder jokes about being the one who kills esports, and I think it's a pretty funny joke.
It's not a serious thing and surely I don't believe that there's a single individual responsible of everything wrong.
But his company position is something I can't understand.
They have the resources, the fan base, the opinions of people who play and know their game more than their own employees, and yet they always want people to beg.
It's not a matter of race X being OP, it's a matter of attitude.

Am I an ungrate asshole or simply wrong?
Sometimes we assume that whenever someone has a negtive opinion he must be trolling, but I don't see where I'm wrong...


I'm not one of the players Dustin describes, that never play multiplayer or doesn't follow the scene, but I actually enjoy the single player experience a lot more than the multiplayer one (though I love watching pro games). I'm looking forward to HotS first and foremost for the continued campaign and secondly for improved multiplayer at the pro level. My own multiplayer experience is not really a concern and doesn't really influence my decision to buy the game.

And I don't find it hard to believe at all that there are tons of players who loves single player, thinks multiplayer is stupid and hasn't even heard of teamliquid.net.

Ctesias
Profile Joined December 2012
4595 Posts
January 25 2013 16:50 GMT
#53
I find nothing to hate about what was said in this interview. I don't get why people keep insisting on disecting every single statement to make it appear that Browder doesn't know what he's talking about. Haters gonna hate, I guess. I find Dustin Browder to be a very nice game director, and I really appreciate him being so positive to being interviewed. It's also unreasonable to expect him to be at a pro-level himself. That kind of commitment just isn't possible with a normal job, especially an executive.

While the interview did not give any huge revelations, I found it very interesting to somewhat better understand the thought process that goes into directing a game. Thanks for sharing the link.
Flash | Mvp
Thurken
Profile Joined September 2011
961 Posts
January 25 2013 17:01 GMT
#54
On January 26 2013 01:39 Wivyx wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 25 2013 21:44 MavivaM wrote:
Dustin Browder never fails to make me tilt my head.
He seems like a pretty nice and funny guy, and also he's willing to keep having interviews (although PcGamer isn't exactly the SC2 community) and exposing himself.

But I really can't get if he's clueless or he plays stupid.

This gem:
Browder: But many, many of our players, I run into them all the time at conventions, say, “I’m not really into multiplayer, but I love the campaign.” That’s very common. And these guys just aren’t on the boards. They’re not posting. But they make up easily half of our audience.

Now, unless I'm stupid Browder wants us to believe that Sc2 fans, some of the MOST VOCAL videogames fans around, apparently love the single player campaign... but they shut up, they don't speak about the great plot twists, the romantic love story and the deep character evolution from the previous game.
Simply to avoid wasting space on the internet, even in Blizzard forums: they just wait for him to pass by and then praise him for the great innovations.
At least half of the fans?
Iirc Sc2 sold about 1.5 million copies in the very first days: let's say that the number hasn't changed.
That means that Browder met around 750.000 people in real life just because they wanted to congratulate for the single player campaign's glorious experience.
Or at least they PM'ed him, since I don't recall all this enthusiasm both on TL or Blizzard forums.
I hope he is bullshitting us since he wants to sell HoTS and actually doesn't really think like that, multiplayer it's what keep his game to be played.

I can see him talking about meta possibilities and giving us the example of a gold league player since Sc2 is not only for pros but even for baboons like myself, but then he talks about maps, innovations and the community feedback and I get mad.
All Blizzard maps are quite bad, there are a lot of solid - and especially willing to contribute - mapmakers, but afaik no one even contacted then.
The only time Blizzard decided to implement new maps, was because someone else - Team Liquid - made a contest.
The unranked system seems to be a concern, but other games such as League of legends show that it works. They could have even simply made another, identical same rank system and not show the ladder points to players (and I suspect that's exactly what they are doing) without making such a fuss.

With all the talking about esports dying and so on, I still don't see it that bleak.
The community is simply great, the game may have some flaws but it's far from being bad, unwatchable or unplayable.
yet the one who seems the least helping is Blizzard, insanely enough.
Tell what you want about Riot, their 'true' streaming numbers and the objective quality of their game at pro level, but here's the thing: they check the game and update him at least once a month.
They are always there.
New skins, art contests, even something as simple as the lobby image change.
From time to time they add new game features and so on.

Blizzard should be a way more accomplished company and yet we have to wait them to sell a whole new game JUST TO HAVE THE NEW REPLAY PATCH.
And to think that unlike League of legends, Sc2 could have an immense map pool and possibilities everywhere.
There are people who create mods for free, even if only to improve the game experience like the Stronger Team Colour one, for hell's sake!

I mean, up until some time ago you must even pay to change a stupid username.
Browder jokes about being the one who kills esports, and I think it's a pretty funny joke.
It's not a serious thing and surely I don't believe that there's a single individual responsible of everything wrong.
But his company position is something I can't understand.
They have the resources, the fan base, the opinions of people who play and know their game more than their own employees, and yet they always want people to beg.
It's not a matter of race X being OP, it's a matter of attitude.

Am I an ungrate asshole or simply wrong?
Sometimes we assume that whenever someone has a negtive opinion he must be trolling, but I don't see where I'm wrong...


I'm not one of the players Dustin describes, that never play multiplayer or doesn't follow the scene, but I actually enjoy the single player experience a lot more than the multiplayer one (though I love watching pro games). I'm looking forward to HotS first and foremost for the continued campaign and secondly for improved multiplayer at the pro level. My own multiplayer experience is not really a concern and doesn't really influence my decision to buy the game.

And I don't find it hard to believe at all that there are tons of players who loves single player, thinks multiplayer is stupid and hasn't even heard of teamliquid.net.



I'm the same kind of player. Love to play the solo part and watch the multiplayer part. And contrary to what you might think MavivaM, a lot of people think the same. Of course you can argue about the 50% part, but without data it is a bit pointless
fabiano
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Brazil4644 Posts
January 25 2013 17:01 GMT
#55
[image loading]

log x, {1 < x < 200}
"When the geyser died, a probe came out" - SirJolt
Diminisherqc
Profile Joined January 2011
Canada220 Posts
January 25 2013 17:06 GMT
#56
mavivam.... i ahve about 10 real life friends that plays starcraft 2 8 of them play really casually wont ladder and only play with friends vs ai ... but they sure did rock the campagin ... only me and another one ladder.so 50 % is actually lower than i tough haha
Treehead
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
999 Posts
January 25 2013 17:13 GMT
#57
On January 25 2013 11:05 FrostedMiniWheats wrote:
Show nested quote +
It’s growing at logarithmic rates.


[image loading]

not quick enough =/


Ok, so this is definitely not what he meant (because I'm guessing DB isn't terribly into maths) - but technically, he COULD have meant that the rates themselves follow the logarithmic function (for instance, when you say "growing at a constant rate" you don't mean growing like the constant function - which is to say not at all). That would mean that the picture of the interest itself would be the integral of a logarithimic function would look like some version of x*ln(x) - x + C (use integration by parts), which is a graph that starts at C, dips down a bit initially, but then grows at slightly better than linear rates.

He probably meant exponential, but then, probably almost no one around him would know the difference between exponential and logarithmic anyway. But then in business, if you're using words which have more abstract meanings, it doesn't matter if you actually know what they mean. The message they mean to convey is "hey, I'm smart" and most people just assume that the subtext of the conversation (the "hey, I'm smart") is correct anyway. Of course, if more people in the US actually knew or were interested in math...
D4V3Z02
Profile Joined April 2011
Germany693 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-25 17:34:55
January 25 2013 17:21 GMT
#58
On January 26 2013 02:13 Treehead wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 25 2013 11:05 FrostedMiniWheats wrote:
It’s growing at logarithmic rates.


[image loading]

not quick enough =/


Ok, so this is definitely not what he meant (because I'm guessing DB isn't terribly into maths) - but technically, he COULD have meant that the rates themselves follow the logarithmic function (for instance, when you say "growing at a constant rate" you don't mean growing like the constant function - which is to say not at all). That would mean that the picture of the interest itself would be the integral of a logarithimic function would look like some version of x*ln(x) - x + C (use integration by parts), which is a graph that starts at C, dips down a bit initially, but then grows at slightly better than linear rates.

He probably meant exponential, but then, probably almost no one around him would know the difference between exponential and logarithmic anyway. But then in business, if you're using words which have more abstract meanings, it doesn't matter if you actually know what they mean. The message they mean to convey is "hey, I'm smart" and most people just assume that the subtext of the conversation (the "hey, I'm smart") is correct anyway. Of course, if more people in the US actually knew or were interested in math...


But exponential growth would be an exaggeration of course. It may fit to league but not to starcraft. It's not like we grow faster now, the growth stagnated at some points so logarithmic makes actually more sense. It may be also a cubic equation because the growth could shoot up with hots, but is not likely gonna happen. There's no subtext at all DB is right.
http://www.twitch.tv/d4v3z02 all your base are belong to overlord
arcHoniC
Profile Joined January 2011
United States141 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-25 17:25:08
January 25 2013 17:24 GMT
#59
On January 26 2013 02:13 Treehead wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 25 2013 11:05 FrostedMiniWheats wrote:
It’s growing at logarithmic rates.


[image loading]

not quick enough =/


Ok, so this is definitely not what he meant (because I'm guessing DB isn't terribly into maths) - but technically, he COULD have meant that the rates themselves follow the logarithmic function (for instance, when you say "growing at a constant rate" you don't mean growing like the constant function - which is to say not at all). That would mean that the picture of the interest itself would be the integral of a logarithimic function would look like some version of x*ln(x) - x + C (use integration by parts), which is a graph that starts at C, dips down a bit initially, but then grows at slightly better than linear rates.

He probably meant exponential, but then, probably almost no one around him would know the difference between exponential and logarithmic anyway. But then in business, if you're using words which have more abstract meanings, it doesn't matter if you actually know what they mean. The message they mean to convey is "hey, I'm smart" and most people just assume that the subtext of the conversation (the "hey, I'm smart") is correct anyway. Of course, if more people in the US actually knew or were interested in math...


You should look at the rate of change as a function of time (derivative not integral). It seems to me that the rate of growth is actually decreasing although growth is still happening.

Not too worried though, HotS will for sure bring a lot of new interest into sc2
'Let's lock the doors and make these guys play all night!' - Tasteless
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
January 25 2013 17:29 GMT
#60
On January 25 2013 22:08 MavivaM wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 25 2013 22:03 Epamynondas wrote:
On January 25 2013 21:44 MavivaM wrote:
Iirc Sc2 sold about 1.5 million copies in the very first days: let's say that the number hasn't changed.
That means that Browder met around 750.000 people in real life just because they wanted to congratulate for the single player campaign's glorious experience.

One would think that Blizzard has access to the number of people who bought the game and the number of people who ladder.

That's an intelligent post and I never thought about that.
So there are 2.5 million of people who bought the game only to go online and play the single campaign?

...I still hope he is bullshitting us >_>


WoL sold around 6 million copies the last time I checked. The majority of people who bought it never touched the multiplayer. It is fact across every RTS game ever made that the majority who buy it do not play the multiplayer. We are a tiny group of people.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Afreeca Starleague
10:00
Ro8 Match 3
Soma vs JaedongLIVE!
Afreeca ASL 16696
StarCastTV_EN369
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 310
Lowko283
ProTech122
Rex 72
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 12102
EffOrt 6245
BeSt 1765
ZerO 1150
Larva 987
Hyuk 876
Horang2 733
Hyun 298
Zeus 267
Killer 196
[ Show more ]
Light 194
Stork 189
Barracks 135
Rush 80
Yoon 61
Shinee 43
ToSsGirL 40
Bale 28
Mong 24
Terrorterran 23
Sacsri 20
PianO 17
ajuk12(nOOB) 11
sorry 10
HiyA 7
Noble 6
Dota 2
XaKoH 762
Dendi329
League of Legends
KnowMe38
Counter-Strike
byalli794
Other Games
singsing2170
olofmeister1526
crisheroes288
Sick178
Pyrionflax170
Mew2King51
ArmadaUGS10
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream374
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 231
StarCraft 2
IntoTheiNu 51
WardiTV37
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 9
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH296
• StrangeGG 24
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos1929
Other Games
• WagamamaTV184
Upcoming Events
WardiTV Weekly
5m
Rex72
Monday Night Weeklies
5h 5m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
23h 5m
Afreeca Starleague
23h 5m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 13h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.