• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 06:55
CEST 12:55
KST 19:55
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach3[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double0Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon103
StarCraft 2
General
Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9975 users

Dustin Browder's Interview at PC Gamer

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 Next All
Veldril
Profile Joined August 2010
Thailand1817 Posts
January 24 2013 19:20 GMT
#1
PC Gamer just added a long interview with Dustin Browder about eSport, balance, and more.

Excerpt from the website:

How do you go about designing a new unit or changing a unit to encourage that kind thing in what was a little bit of a stagnant metagame in Wings of Liberty?

Browder: You try to create really solid tools. You don’t know how they’re going to be used or if they’re going to be used, but you have to look at a unit and say, “You know, for its cost, that unit has uses. That could be effective.” An example I would give is the Warp Prism from the end of Wings of Liberty. We started seeing that more and more and more, as Protoss players started to be more threatened by immobile forces, and they needed the mobility to break up the danger.

When the Brood Lords and Infestors are out, it’s dangerous as hell, but it’s not fast. So what they would do, is they would say, “Okay, I’m going to try to spread you out. I’m going to try to pull you away from here by constant harassment with Warp Prism. And it could be very cost effective and very dangerous. We hadn’t changed that unit. But they were starting to use it that way.

So that’s the ideal, is to create the tools so that when they suddenly have the need, they have something they can do which changes the way the game plays. And so it’s this constantly cycling metagame that we’re not even touching.


What was the reasoning behind the decision—you guys were kind of pushing against unranked play for a long time, and now it’s finally coming in the expansion. Was that community feedback?

Browder: There was a big concern, and there still is a big concern … if you have ranked play and unranked play, are those two, separate matchmaking pools? And does that damage the matchmaker? Especially in some places in the world … I’m thinking Southeast Asia, there’s a few places where the population of gamers is just not that huge. And our population of players is not that huge. So the matchmaker can struggle in those areas.

...

So what we’ve finally said for unranked play is, we’re going to risk it. We’re going to put them into a single matchmaker [with ranked players]. Now, the concern from the community, and the concern internally, is, do people start abusing that system? When I come in unranked, do I say, “Hey, I’m unranked. Don’t worry, I’ll quit out before this game is over. Don’t quit.” Or some silliness. I don’t know. There could be 50 ways to break this. They’ll find a way if they want to find a way.

So if that starts to happen, now this feature is in trouble. If people start abusing it, then that’s why we can’t have nice things. But we kind of felt like the benefits were worth the risk. So ultimately, we’re taking the leap. And we’re saying, I hope our community doesn’t ruin this. I hope a handful of bad apples don’t find a way to make this go bad for us. I hope people play with this system with a little bit of honest integrity, which is a little scary with any online community.


From your perspective, what is killing eSports?

Browder: [Laughs] I thought I was killing eSports. I thought that was my title. I have the crown! That’s what Twitter keeps saying.

That’s the silliest question, because nothing is killing eSports. It’s growing at logarithmic rates. Did you ever think we would be here, in this, place, two and a half years later? We’re just swimming in pros, and so many events you can’t even keep track of them all. Like, we used to talk about timing patches relative to major eSports events. Now there’s no way.


There is no way for us to patch Wings of Liberty without it hitting an eSport event. We went live with our beta in the US, because we thought that was going to be enough to give us testing. And we have had nothing but feedback from all over the world that’s, “So, when can I run my tournament? I want to run a [Heart of the Swarm] tournament. I’m in Korea, or I’m in Europe. When can I run a HotS tournament?”

It’s just constant. The amount of constant input coming into this studio, “More! More! This! That!” It’s just insane. So, the idea that anything is killing eSports is nuts. eSports is growing out of control. It’s alive and breathing and flying away. I have no idea when it’s going to stop.

And I think the StarCraft community should take some pride and joy in that. They should take some ownership of that, and say, “We did that. We helped build this. We are ground-floor, core contributors to what makes any eSport going forward.” They should, in their minds and hearts, claim some of that. Because they’ve absolutely earned it. They were on the ground floor. They were here when it really started to happen.
Without love, we can't see anything. Without love, the truth can't be seen. - Umineko no Naku Koro Ni
LuisFrost
Profile Joined February 2011
Mexico130 Posts
January 24 2013 19:21 GMT
#2
Here's the link: http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/01/24/starcraft-ii-heart-of-the-swarm-mega-interview-with-dustin-browder/
ACrow
Profile Joined October 2011
Germany6583 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-24 19:49:59
January 24 2013 19:34 GMT
#3
Thanks for posting, will read.

Edit: hm, not much new stuff in there. I'm also not entirely sure if this is real or parody, right? Like, what in the world, who talks like that, right? I mean, right? DB is a cool dude though
Get off my lawn, young punks
AnomalySC2
Profile Joined August 2012
United States2073 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-24 19:37:19
January 24 2013 19:36 GMT
#4
"I’m going to try to pull you away from here by constant harassment with Warp Prism. And it could be very cost effective and very dangerous. We hadn’t changed that unit. But they were starting to use it that way."

Yes they did change the Warp Prism, they buffed the shield hp on it.
Zaphid
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Czech Republic1860 Posts
January 24 2013 19:38 GMT
#5
Those answers you quoted sound really solid, time to read the rest.
I will never ever play Mech against Protoss. - MVP
Insoleet
Profile Joined May 2012
France1806 Posts
January 24 2013 19:39 GMT
#6

Browder: [Laughs] I thought I was killing eSports. I thought that was my title. I have the crown! That’s what Twitter keeps saying.


HAhaha love this guy :D
caradoc
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Canada3022 Posts
January 24 2013 19:42 GMT
#7
Pretty fast, the article just went up and we have a thread



Browder: Ooh, flying rocks? Flying rocks! Like Outland, they’re all floating up there!

And they block movement for flyers, unless you destroy them! Oh yes, that’s good. Legacy of the Void: Flying rocks.

Confirmed!
Salvation a la mode and a cup of tea...
KingAlphard
Profile Blog Joined August 2012
Italy1705 Posts
January 24 2013 19:49 GMT
#8
"logarithmic rates"? Is this a mistake? Maybe he meant exponential, because that would mean esport is growing very slowly.
Noizhende
Profile Joined January 2012
Austria328 Posts
January 24 2013 19:53 GMT
#9
On January 25 2013 04:49 KingAlphard wrote:
"logarithmic rates"? Is this a mistake? Maybe he meant exponential, because that would mean esport is growing very slowly.


Well, from 0 to 1 it grows quite fast :D
Die neuen Tempel haben schon Risse - künftige Ruinen - einst wächst Gras auch über diese Stadt - über ihre letzte Schicht
WolfintheSheep
Profile Joined June 2011
Canada14127 Posts
January 24 2013 19:55 GMT
#10
Logarithmic sounds right. There was a huge explosion at the start, but now the growth is slowed. Emphasis on growth.
Average means I'm better than half of you.
Insoleet
Profile Joined May 2012
France1806 Posts
January 24 2013 19:58 GMT
#11
+ Show Spoiler +


Will we get modifiable rocks? Movable rocks? Liftable rocks?

Browder: Ooh, flying rocks? Flying rocks! Like Outland, they’re all floating up there!

And they block movement for flyers, unless you destroy them! Oh yes, that’s good. Legacy of the Void: Flying rocks.


This could be freaking cool haha

Really nice interview overall !
PVJ
Profile Blog Joined July 2012
Hungary5221 Posts
January 24 2013 20:07 GMT
#12
On January 25 2013 04:36 AnomalySC2 wrote:
"I’m going to try to pull you away from here by constant harassment with Warp Prism. And it could be very cost effective and very dangerous. We hadn’t changed that unit. But they were starting to use it that way."

Yes they did change the Warp Prism, they buffed the shield hp on it.

I was just about to quote this. What the.....?
The heart's eternal vow
ElMeanYo
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1032 Posts
January 24 2013 20:08 GMT
#13
On January 25 2013 04:58 Insoleet wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +


Will we get modifiable rocks? Movable rocks? Liftable rocks?

Browder: Ooh, flying rocks? Flying rocks! Like Outland, they’re all floating up there!

And they block movement for flyers, unless you destroy them! Oh yes, that’s good. Legacy of the Void: Flying rocks.


This could be freaking cool haha

Really nice interview overall !


I do love how DB has embraced the whole rocks thing and it's now just one big excuse to troll now. He's having fun with it.
“The only man who never makes mistakes is the man who never does anything.” ― Theodore Roosevelt
KingAlphard
Profile Blog Joined August 2012
Italy1705 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-01-24 20:09:52
January 24 2013 20:09 GMT
#14
On January 25 2013 04:55 WolfintheSheep wrote:
Logarithmic sounds right. There was a huge explosion at the start, but now the growth is slowed. Emphasis on growth.

Ok, but he says
eSports is growing out of control.
after.
Well, looks like DB didn't study maths :\



Well, from 0 to 1 it grows quite fast :D

lol
WolfintheSheep
Profile Joined June 2011
Canada14127 Posts
January 24 2013 20:11 GMT
#15
On January 25 2013 05:07 PVJ wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 25 2013 04:36 AnomalySC2 wrote:
"I’m going to try to pull you away from here by constant harassment with Warp Prism. And it could be very cost effective and very dangerous. We hadn’t changed that unit. But they were starting to use it that way."

Yes they did change the Warp Prism, they buffed the shield hp on it.

I was just about to quote this. What the.....?

The buff came long before the heavy usage of Warp Prisms. Or, more like the buff made Protoss try mid-game timings with Prisms, but didn't do much for late game.
Average means I'm better than half of you.
Kurbz
Profile Joined April 2011
Australia88 Posts
January 24 2013 20:19 GMT
#16
very cool article, I am so excited for HOTS and the game play I'm going to see. Yay to more unique play instead of just infest/broodlord action.
Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Goldfish
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
2230 Posts
January 24 2013 23:15 GMT
#17
On January 25 2013 05:11 WolfintheSheep wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 25 2013 05:07 PVJ wrote:
On January 25 2013 04:36 AnomalySC2 wrote:
"I’m going to try to pull you away from here by constant harassment with Warp Prism. And it could be very cost effective and very dangerous. We hadn’t changed that unit. But they were starting to use it that way."

Yes they did change the Warp Prism, they buffed the shield hp on it.

I was just about to quote this. What the.....?

The buff came long before the heavy usage of Warp Prisms. Or, more like the buff made Protoss try mid-game timings with Prisms, but didn't do much for late game.


The buffed happened September 2011, and it wasn't until the hybrid league (when KeSPA players started playing) that Warp Prism were used more often.

When every Protoss in Proleague started using Warp Prisms, I remember everyone making comments about it (it was definitely not that used often before the hybrid league AFAIK).

Not sure if KeSPA players helped make Warp Prism usage more popular or not but it was definitely underused before then.
https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsServerFeedback/feedback/details/741495/biggest-explorer-annoyance-automatic-sorting-windows-7-server-2008-r2-and-vista#details Allow Disable Auto Arrange in Windows 7+
Thieving Magpie
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
United States6752 Posts
January 24 2013 23:20 GMT
#18
On January 25 2013 08:15 Goldfish wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 25 2013 05:11 WolfintheSheep wrote:
On January 25 2013 05:07 PVJ wrote:
On January 25 2013 04:36 AnomalySC2 wrote:
"I’m going to try to pull you away from here by constant harassment with Warp Prism. And it could be very cost effective and very dangerous. We hadn’t changed that unit. But they were starting to use it that way."

Yes they did change the Warp Prism, they buffed the shield hp on it.

I was just about to quote this. What the.....?

The buff came long before the heavy usage of Warp Prisms. Or, more like the buff made Protoss try mid-game timings with Prisms, but didn't do much for late game.


The buffed happened September 2011, and it wasn't until the hybrid league (when KeSPA players started playing) that Warp Prism were used more often.

When every Protoss in Proleague started using Warp Prisms, I remember everyone making comments about it (it was definitely not that used often before the hybrid league AFAIK).

Not sure if KeSPA players helped make Warp Prism usage more popular or not but it was definitely underused before then.


Hero and Sage used it. That's about it.
Hark, what baseball through yonder window breaks?
StarVe
Profile Joined June 2011
Germany13591 Posts
January 24 2013 23:23 GMT
#19
On January 25 2013 08:20 Thieving Magpie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 25 2013 08:15 Goldfish wrote:
On January 25 2013 05:11 WolfintheSheep wrote:
On January 25 2013 05:07 PVJ wrote:
On January 25 2013 04:36 AnomalySC2 wrote:
"I’m going to try to pull you away from here by constant harassment with Warp Prism. And it could be very cost effective and very dangerous. We hadn’t changed that unit. But they were starting to use it that way."

Yes they did change the Warp Prism, they buffed the shield hp on it.

I was just about to quote this. What the.....?

The buff came long before the heavy usage of Warp Prisms. Or, more like the buff made Protoss try mid-game timings with Prisms, but didn't do much for late game.


The buffed happened September 2011, and it wasn't until the hybrid league (when KeSPA players started playing) that Warp Prism were used more often.

When every Protoss in Proleague started using Warp Prisms, I remember everyone making comments about it (it was definitely not that used often before the hybrid league AFAIK).

Not sure if KeSPA players helped make Warp Prism usage more popular or not but it was definitely underused before then.


Hero and Sage used it. That's about it.

And White-Ra.
Adersick
Profile Joined July 2011
United States216 Posts
January 24 2013 23:28 GMT
#20
The more I hear from Browder the more I love him. He definitely has a passion for the game and a sense of humor about who he is in the community! I hope he continues to deliver, and I certainly look forward to HotS as a finished product. I couldn't agree more with his statement that developing SC2 is about giving solid tools, although the example he gives may not be 100% perfect.
1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Afreeca Starleague
10:00
Ro8 Match 3
Soma vs JaedongLIVE!
Afreeca ASL 16696
StarCastTV_EN369
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 310
Lowko283
ProTech122
Rex 72
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 12102
EffOrt 6245
BeSt 1765
ZerO 1150
Larva 987
Hyuk 876
Horang2 733
Hyun 298
Zeus 267
Killer 196
[ Show more ]
Light 194
Stork 189
Barracks 135
Rush 80
Yoon 61
Shinee 43
ToSsGirL 40
Bale 28
Mong 24
Terrorterran 23
Sacsri 20
PianO 17
ajuk12(nOOB) 11
sorry 10
HiyA 7
Noble 6
Dota 2
XaKoH 762
Dendi329
League of Legends
KnowMe38
Counter-Strike
byalli794
Other Games
singsing2170
olofmeister1526
crisheroes288
Sick178
Pyrionflax170
Mew2King51
ArmadaUGS10
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream374
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 231
StarCraft 2
IntoTheiNu 51
WardiTV37
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 9
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH296
• StrangeGG 24
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos1929
Other Games
• WagamamaTV184
Upcoming Events
WardiTV Weekly
5m
Rex72
Monday Night Weeklies
5h 5m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
23h 5m
Afreeca Starleague
23h 5m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 13h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.