• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:16
CEST 16:16
KST 23:16
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War505.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War Mineral Boosting (2 workers/patch) Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7986 users

Season 7 Lock - Page 10

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 8 9 10 11 Next All
SecondSandwich
Profile Joined July 2008
United States319 Posts
June 12 2012 02:55 GMT
#181
Any word yet when the season will end? I haven't found anything yet.
"Whatever [flash] says is the best, is the best" -Artosis i!i!i!i!i!Find Match!i!i!i!i!!i
oOOoOphidian
Profile Joined January 2011
United States1402 Posts
June 12 2012 03:03 GMT
#182
On June 12 2012 11:55 SecondSandwich wrote:
Any word yet when the season will end? I haven't found anything yet.

Tomorrow at 5am PST
Creator of sc2unmasked.com
Kaladin
Profile Joined January 2011
United States88 Posts
June 12 2012 03:37 GMT
#183
This may be a stupid question but judging promotions by points doesn't make sense to me. I didn't really ladder a whole lot until this season (finally decided it's time to start trying to get good for real :D), so I don't remember how the previous beginnings of seasons worked, but after your placement match, don't you always start out with 0 points in your division? If you are already really high diamond and close to a promotion, how would you get up to the same high amount of points you had the previous season? Or would you just get promoted with a low amount of points? Besides that, how is it possible to tell how close you are to promotion if in previous seasons you had high amounts of points as well, meaning you had to have won more than you lost in those seasons, too. Also, is there any way to estimate what "tier" I am in. I have been in Diamond since Season 1, and I was demoted to platinum in either season 4 or 5 and made it back to diamond in that same season. Now, like I stated before, I am rank 4 764 points (all bonus pool spent) and playing low-mid masters about 50% of the time.
Me all in. Him drone drone drone. Me win. -MC
The_Templar
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
your Country52798 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-12 03:50:14
June 12 2012 03:48 GMT
#184
On June 12 2012 12:37 Kaladin wrote:
This may be a stupid question but judging promotions by points doesn't make sense to me. I didn't really ladder a whole lot until this season (finally decided it's time to start trying to get good for real :D), so I don't remember how the previous beginnings of seasons worked, but after your placement match, don't you always start out with 0 points in your division? If you are already really high diamond and close to a promotion, how would you get up to the same high amount of points you had the previous season? Or would you just get promoted with a low amount of points? Besides that, how is it possible to tell how close you are to promotion if in previous seasons you had high amounts of points as well, meaning you had to have won more than you lost in those seasons, too. Also, is there any way to estimate what "tier" I am in. I have been in Diamond since Season 1, and I was demoted to platinum in either season 4 or 5 and made it back to diamond in that same season. Now, like I stated before, I am rank 4 764 points (all bonus pool spent) and playing low-mid masters about 50% of the time.

You do start with 0 points, but you face the same skill level of opponents as you did before the new season. Not sure about tiers unfortunately :/
Edit: Didn't quite answer the first part-
You can get promoted with a low amount of points if you were close to promotion before the new season. You're not actually expected to get the same number of points as you had last season quickly; as a matter of fact, it should take all season to get that high up (although hopefully you'll get there faster-->possible promotion).
ModeratorI am still alive, somehow
TL+ Member
Kaladin
Profile Joined January 2011
United States88 Posts
June 12 2012 03:57 GMT
#185
On June 12 2012 12:48 TehTemplar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 12 2012 12:37 Kaladin wrote:
This may be a stupid question but judging promotions by points doesn't make sense to me. I didn't really ladder a whole lot until this season (finally decided it's time to start trying to get good for real :D), so I don't remember how the previous beginnings of seasons worked, but after your placement match, don't you always start out with 0 points in your division? If you are already really high diamond and close to a promotion, how would you get up to the same high amount of points you had the previous season? Or would you just get promoted with a low amount of points? Besides that, how is it possible to tell how close you are to promotion if in previous seasons you had high amounts of points as well, meaning you had to have won more than you lost in those seasons, too. Also, is there any way to estimate what "tier" I am in. I have been in Diamond since Season 1, and I was demoted to platinum in either season 4 or 5 and made it back to diamond in that same season. Now, like I stated before, I am rank 4 764 points (all bonus pool spent) and playing low-mid masters about 50% of the time.

You do start with 0 points, but you face the same skill level of opponents as you did before the new season. Not sure about tiers unfortunately :/
Edit: Didn't quite answer the first part-
You can get promoted with a low amount of points if you were close to promotion before the new season. You're not actually expected to get the same number of points as you had last season quickly; as a matter of fact, it should take all season to get that high up (although hopefully you'll get there faster-->possible promotion).


What I don't understand is how it would be possible to get that many points again. You would have to win more than you lose which means your MMR would keep increasing and you would be playing better and better players, meaning it would be harder to win enough games to get that many points
Me all in. Him drone drone drone. Me win. -MC
LOLZEY
Profile Joined December 2011
Canada71 Posts
June 12 2012 03:58 GMT
#186
On June 12 2012 07:15 Excalibur_Z wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 12 2012 06:48 Colak wrote:
Excalibur you're rocking this thread! Love it man

So this season I managed to get in around 200 games (winning ~120). Used up all my bonus pool and sit at 800 points and #1 Diamond. Anyone know what my chances of being promoted are?


Should be right above the border, pretty high probability.

Hi Excalibur, I am currently rank 4 Diamond with 649 points (232 points adjusted). I am teams-even with diamonds that exceed 800 points and some low-mid masters (I'm on a 6-win streak). Strangely enough, the number 1 diamond in my division is only sitting around 700 points (which makes me think that I am in a higher-tier diamond division).

What should my chances of promotion to Masters be for Season 8?
hi
Excalibur_Z
Profile Joined October 2002
United States12260 Posts
June 12 2012 04:00 GMT
#187
On June 12 2012 12:37 Kaladin wrote:
This may be a stupid question but judging promotions by points doesn't make sense to me. I didn't really ladder a whole lot until this season (finally decided it's time to start trying to get good for real :D), so I don't remember how the previous beginnings of seasons worked, but after your placement match, don't you always start out with 0 points in your division? If you are already really high diamond and close to a promotion, how would you get up to the same high amount of points you had the previous season? Or would you just get promoted with a low amount of points? Besides that, how is it possible to tell how close you are to promotion if in previous seasons you had high amounts of points as well, meaning you had to have won more than you lost in those seasons, too. Also, is there any way to estimate what "tier" I am in. I have been in Diamond since Season 1, and I was demoted to platinum in either season 4 or 5 and made it back to diamond in that same season. Now, like I stated before, I am rank 4 764 points (all bonus pool spent) and playing low-mid masters about 50% of the time.


You can't 100% judge promotions by points because promotions are determined by MMR and nothing else, but with enough stability, points will begin to approach MMR and theoretically everyone will have a rough MMR-points equilibrium.

Tiers contain hidden point offsets such that it's "easier" to earn points in lower tiers versus higher tiers, but the tradeoff is you're starting off at a lower skill level. Think of it like a tournament where the high-seed player actually starts off the bracket in the 3rd or 4th round but the low-seed player starts off in the 1st round. Eventually the best players from the early rounds are going to face the high-seed player, but he's already proven himself (that's why he has the high seed). The higher your division tier, the closer you are to promotion.

Deriving your division tier is not an exact science because to do so accurately, you have to know the division tiers of your opponents, which are also hidden. However, with enough data points, it's possible. You can download the Matchmaking Rating Tool plugin for SC2Gears which will manage a close estimation of how close you are to a promotion.

As for your current situation, if we assume that your points closely represent your MMR, then we have the following data to consider (these are Not_That's latest estimations and are not accurate, but they're pretty close):

Adjusted Points Required
Master: 0
Diamond Tier 1: 130
Diamond Tier 2: 180
Diamond Tier 3: 230
Diamond Tier 4: 280
Diamond Tier 5: 330
Diamond Tier 6: 380
Diamond Tier 7: 430

For example, if you started in the lowest tier, you'd need about 430 adjusted points (technically speaking you'd need that equivalent in MMR). However if you started in the highest tier, you'd only need 130. You said you have 764 points, less the 417 bonus pool, equals 347 adjusted points. This means you'd be pretty safe if you were in Tiers 1 through 5. Since you say you've been facing Masters for quite a long time already, it probably means you're in a higher tier (since if you were in a lower tier, your MMR would still be around the border and you'd be playing against roughly equal numbers of Diamonds and Masters).
Moderator
Kaladin
Profile Joined January 2011
United States88 Posts
June 12 2012 04:17 GMT
#188
Thank you, Excalibur. Makes more sense now :D. Well I can only hope I am in Tier 1-5. Too tired to play more tonight and unfortunately I won't be home from work until late tomorrow to play my placement T_T. Gonna be itching to play it. If I get masters I will be so happy ^_^. Thanks again for your helpful responses in this thread!
Me all in. Him drone drone drone. Me win. -MC
DougJDempsey
Profile Joined April 2010
747 Posts
June 12 2012 04:26 GMT
#189
On June 12 2012 12:03 oOOoOphidian wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 12 2012 11:55 SecondSandwich wrote:
Any word yet when the season will end? I haven't found anything yet.

Tomorrow at 5am PST


is this confirmed?
Maxhster
Profile Joined March 2011
Fiji473 Posts
June 12 2012 04:33 GMT
#190
On June 12 2012 13:26 Digamma wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 12 2012 12:03 oOOoOphidian wrote:
On June 12 2012 11:55 SecondSandwich wrote:
Any word yet when the season will end? I haven't found anything yet.

Tomorrow at 5am PST


is this confirmed?


its during weekly maintenance, so yes.
rawr
Enki
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
United States2548 Posts
June 12 2012 05:02 GMT
#191
Haven't touched ladder since D3 came out....time to try to get rid of my bonus pool at least.
"Practice, practice, practice. And when you're not practicing you should be practicing. It's the only way to get better. The only way." I run the Smix Fanclub!
pallad
Profile Joined September 2010
Poland1958 Posts
June 12 2012 13:21 GMT
#192
On June 12 2012 14:02 Enki wrote:
Haven't touched ladder since D3 came out....time to try to get rid of my bonus pool at least.


What bonus pool? They reset bonus pool already -_-
SC 2 -LingsLover- EU -- Jaedong , NesTea , Nerchio , DRG , Moon , Oz , Tarson , Scarlett -- Dota 2 Pallad EU- NaVi - LGD
KiNGxXx
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
7928 Posts
June 12 2012 14:03 GMT
#193
On June 12 2012 22:21 pallad wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 12 2012 14:02 Enki wrote:
Haven't touched ladder since D3 came out....time to try to get rid of my bonus pool at least.


What bonus pool? They reset bonus pool already -_-

No, you still have your bonus pool but it's not growing anymore.
MKP|Maru|TaeJa|Mvp|Polt|INnoVation|GuMiho|Bomber|GoOdy|TeamTerran
Kaladin
Profile Joined January 2011
United States88 Posts
June 12 2012 16:00 GMT
#194
I didn't get masters T_T
Me all in. Him drone drone drone. Me win. -MC
Raven068
Profile Blog Joined September 2011
United States90 Posts
June 12 2012 16:05 GMT
#195
It's interesting, but it probably won't change my playing schedule much. Not that I play much to begin with, it's mostly for fun and for the enjoyment of improving my skills.
www.youtube.com/Omega068
[Noman]
Profile Joined February 2009
19 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-12 16:14:43
June 12 2012 16:13 GMT
#196
There were 417 bonus pool points in season 7? So If I finished diamond with 847 points I have "fixed" 430 points, which means I have a pretty good chance to be in masters next season?
ashortstory
Profile Joined April 2012
Brazil160 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-12 16:15:27
June 12 2012 16:13 GMT
#197
i have 1.450 points high master NA, placed second in my league with the first one having 1.650 points

is it possible i get GM ? since GM league will open next week, during this one we'll all face cheeses and all-in which is too risky for someone who perhaps will get to GM, no? or should i keep playing and not limit a certain amount of small games?
Raven068
Profile Blog Joined September 2011
United States90 Posts
June 12 2012 18:20 GMT
#198
On June 13 2012 01:13 [Noman] wrote:
There were 417 bonus pool points in season 7? So If I finished diamond with 847 points I have "fixed" 430 points, which means I have a pretty good chance to be in masters next season?


I'm fairly sure that the normal + - values for games still apply. It just won't have a bonus attached to it.
www.youtube.com/Omega068
shadowrunner99
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
Belarus93 Posts
June 12 2012 20:28 GMT
#199
671 points 0bp won placement match. what dia offset is that?
-Kyo-
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Japan1927 Posts
June 12 2012 21:08 GMT
#200
Does GM open thursday, or next tuesday? I can't seem to find it anywhere sorry T_T
Anime is cuter than you. Legacy of the Void GM Protoss Gameplay: twitch.tv/kyo7763 youtube.com/user/KyoStarcraft/
TL+ Member
Prev 1 8 9 10 11 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Online Event
21:00
ONSYDE Invitational
TaKeTV 348
TKL 243
CranKy Ducklings152
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Serral 1134
Lowko532
TKL 239
ProTech121
Rex 116
MindelVK 21
EmSc Tv 10
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 59164
Free 1801
Horang2 319
firebathero 255
Zeus 206
Last 111
Hyun 79
910 73
ToSsGirL 69
Pusan 46
[ Show more ]
Trap 46
soO 31
Bishop 22
Rock 21
Aegong 20
scan(afreeca) 18
Yoon 16
Noble 13
Sacsri 9
Icarus 7
Dota 2
Gorgc7539
Dendi850
XaKoH 434
420jenkins70
canceldota41
Counter-Strike
fl0m2616
byalli654
Other Games
singsing2305
Mlord547
Beastyqt354
KnowMe132
Liquid`VortiX102
DeMusliM95
QueenE68
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV225
StarCraft 2
EmSc Tv 10
EmSc2Tv 10
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 9
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP23
• StrangeGG 19
• Dystopia_ 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FT.aCt)Sony1
• Michael_bg 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos2768
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 1511
Upcoming Events
AI Arena Tournament
2h 44m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4h 44m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
19h 44m
Patches Events
1d
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 4h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 4h
OSC
1d 8h
OSC
1d 21h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.