• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:48
CEST 19:48
KST 02:48
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon108
StarCraft 2
General
Updated Continental Flags System & New Global Flag StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder BW General Discussion Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10588 users

[Part 3] Matchmaking Changes - Page 8

Forum Index > SC2 General
329 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 10 17 Next All
Mercy13
Profile Joined January 2011
United States718 Posts
April 24 2012 14:31 GMT
#141
On April 24 2012 21:43 Plexa wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 24 2012 21:15 Lorch wrote:
I still don't see the point, one of the few good things about battle net 2.0 has always been thats it's one of the few matchmaking systems that is actually good at matching you vs players that are pretty much exactly as good as you are, I still don't see the point in changing it.

My thoughts too =/

I see a lot of people saying how they like this change because it makes them play against better opponents, well, those 'better opponents' are annoyed because they have to play you. It's much better if everyone is playing similar skill than this =/


But don't those 'better opponents' who are annoyed at having to play me also get to play opponents who are better than them? I guess this could be a problem at the very top of the ladder because no one is better than those guys : ) However, I like getting matched up occasionally against high masters players, and I assume they like the opportunity to get matched up against GMs.
Name Lips
Profile Joined April 2012
United States7 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-24 14:32:33
April 24 2012 14:32 GMT
#142
I'm high silver, and I get matched against bronze, silver, gold, and occasionally plat. It's kind of weird.

Some of the bronzes are awesome, and slaughter me. I thought bronze was for scrubs who haven't figured out build orders yet?

Some of the plats are terrible, and admitted they have no idea why the game stuck them in plat after one placement match (which they lost).

But at the end of the day, I'm pretty sure I'm a solid silver, so regardless of the others, at least I'M where I belong.
SoBeDragon
Profile Joined October 2010
United States192 Posts
April 24 2012 14:32 GMT
#143
I'm fine with relaxed matchmaking standards as I agree with what blizzard said. The system works so well that it will often times pair you against a player so similar to your skill level, that each game is pushed to razors edge. One mistake...one mis-click will often times result in the game ending, and not only can that be frustrating, but it can also hinder progress since you may not get as many opportunities to practice the later parts of the game that you might want.

I for one would appreciate playing someone slightly lower than me so I can move past the all-ins and the cheeses and continue to focus on macro oriented games. Also, having a win/loss ratio of more than 1:1 can have a positive effect on your confidence level. I can only imagine what it would be like to see 50/40 for my wins/losses, heh.
If at first you don't succeed, redefine the parameters for success.
Kulijo
Profile Joined May 2011
Germany49 Posts
April 24 2012 14:41 GMT
#144
I really want to play against exactly my skill level. Being in Gold #1 and have easy wins against silver gold or plat but not being promoted sucks
Nazeron
Profile Joined September 2010
Canada1046 Posts
April 24 2012 14:44 GMT
#145
cool, so its even more finely tuned
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Spec
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Taiwan931 Posts
April 24 2012 14:53 GMT
#146
Why does it matter that they "finely tuned" the competition at highest level when anyone can beat anyone there.
Eye for an eye make the world go blind - Gandhi
Smackzilla
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States539 Posts
April 24 2012 15:07 GMT
#147
On April 24 2012 10:32 SDream wrote:
So, are you finally happy? =)


You realize you're talking to starcraft players, right?
You see a mousetrap. I see free cheese and a f&%*ing challenge - Scroobius Pip
renkin
Profile Joined July 2010
France249 Posts
April 24 2012 15:08 GMT
#148
Is anyone wondering why they are adjusting the system a year after the release ?

I feel they are just updating the matchmaking system because there are less players than a year before.
If they wanted us to play more with people at our level, wouldn't they they give us some kind of filtering tools ?
aiuradun
Profile Joined February 2011
Denmark115 Posts
April 24 2012 15:08 GMT
#149
hehe it is as it should have been from the beginig now :-), at least Blizzard acted fast this time :-) so i am quite happy!
Jampackedeon
Profile Joined November 2010
United States2053 Posts
April 24 2012 15:12 GMT
#150
This sounds good, I like playing different levels as it lets me know how I'm progressing (kind of treading water right now honestly because of how bad my ZvP is).
striderxxx
Profile Joined February 2011
Canada443 Posts
April 24 2012 15:15 GMT
#151
No wonder! Last night I got stomped by someone in Diamond while I'm only in Gold.
Ketch
Profile Joined October 2010
Netherlands7285 Posts
April 24 2012 15:25 GMT
#152
Well, I don't know. I think I'll like it in the long end. It might allow for faster promotions/demotions if you win against much higher opponents than you as well, or lose against much lower opponents...
ZanXala
Profile Joined October 2011
Sweden26 Posts
April 24 2012 15:35 GMT
#153
It's fucking stupid, to improve your skill in timings or whatever you need to constantly face people with as similiar skill-levels as your own.
| IdrA | ThorZaIN | Jaedong | Life | Bomber | Cure |
Snijjer
Profile Joined September 2011
United States989 Posts
April 24 2012 15:44 GMT
#154
On April 24 2012 22:41 CoR wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 24 2012 20:43 roym899 wrote:
As a Diamond player I like the changes. It's always nice to gain confidence by getting an easy win over someone who is 1 league under you or getting the chance to learn something new even when you clearly lose against someone a league higher.

btw.: what's your problem guys? You will get better and worse opponents so you won't get demoted or promoted to early because of this system change. It's a chance for you and adds variety into ladderplay.


as mid master i wont get demoted or promoted for perhaps ever and ever, way to srong to ever go back in diamond, not playing enough to ever reach gm

but the problem i have is not i play gm lose and lose 1 or even 5 points, no the problem are all the diamonds,
sure i can win 10 games and get 2-3 points for all the wins and then 1 diamond is able to cheeserush me and i lose 31 points ... oh jaeh 30-1 winratio and I LOSE POINTS thats how we all love it RIGHT ?
it just makes me play LESS and thats the worst thing a change could make !!!


Why does it matter how many points you lose? It's the same thing for everyone that's around your rank.
1st_Panzer_Div.
Profile Joined November 2010
United States621 Posts
April 24 2012 15:45 GMT
#155
I hate playing against people that I'm straight favored against, I feel like there's too much pressure. But playing against people that are favored against me is nice, so I guess it's a give and take.
Manager, Team RIP ZeeZ
LighT.
Profile Joined December 2010
Canada4501 Posts
April 24 2012 15:54 GMT
#156
I dont know where I stand on this.
ALl my even matches are against "low-mid amsters" which is inane, considering I'm only top diamond....All my diamond games I'm "slightly favored", to add on to the pressure of winning when I find I'm more on even terms with them...and its not like theyre bad players either, theyre all mid diamond...Then there's the games where I'm "favored against" and the person is downright on a class of his own against me...
It's silly...
Kruxxen
Profile Joined April 2010
United States149 Posts
April 24 2012 15:59 GMT
#157
On April 25 2012 00:54 LighT. wrote:
I dont know where I stand on this.
ALl my even matches are against "low-mid amsters" which is inane, considering I'm only top diamond....All my diamond games I'm "slightly favored", to add on to the pressure of winning when I find I'm more on even terms with them...and its not like theyre bad players either, theyre all mid diamond...Then there's the games where I'm "favored against" and the person is downright on a class of his own against me...
It's silly...


That is the normal mathmaking system, no weird change they made, your are still favored/not favored against people based on your hidden mmr. All that this change means is that your faced more highly favored people, which means more potential for points.
Indolent
Profile Joined January 2012
Poland137 Posts
April 24 2012 15:59 GMT
#158
It's like Blizzard is desperate to show that they do something.
zyce
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States649 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-24 16:14:59
April 24 2012 16:13 GMT
#159
I get the feeling like a mad scientist is playing with my matches, and I don't like it. I've always liked to look at my opponent's profile, and see what league he's playing against usually. This gives me some determination of the skill level I'm at currently, but now I'll have no clue.

I just read about an old Chinese proverb, which states "muddy waters make the fish easier catch". All this opacity is really making me crave a discrete ladder-point system with a global ladder. No mercy, no handholding. Brains everywhere.

Edit: This is making mirror matchups really fucking annoying. Wish I played Terran now.
Beauty is not the goal of competitive sports, but high-level sports are a prime venue for the expression of human beauty. The relation is roughly that of courage to war.
RBKeys
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada196 Posts
April 24 2012 16:13 GMT
#160
I feel like all these system changes have really screwed with my attempts to get promoted. I'm high plat, bordering on diamond, but when I'm forced to play golds, even after winning against a D, I don't get anywhere and am just wasting my time.
Thanks for the break :D
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 10 17 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 6h 13m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 318
UpATreeSC 77
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 1434
actioN 455
BeSt 212
Dewaltoss 186
firebathero 95
Zeus 68
Trap 39
Sexy 27
zelot 26
soO 25
[ Show more ]
ToSsGirL 24
Bale 23
JYJ 20
Shine 17
Sacsri 6
Dota 2
Gorgc7436
qojqva2120
Dendi822
420jenkins159
Counter-Strike
pashabiceps1064
Fnx 766
x6flipin430
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby6150
crisheroes5211
Liquid`Hasu669
Other Games
Beastyqt679
B2W.Neo631
ceh9500
byalli388
ArmadaUGS165
KnowMe154
C9.Mang0138
Khaldor133
TKL 114
BRAT_OK 76
Trikslyr61
Railgan13
Organizations
Other Games
WardiTV263
BasetradeTV219
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream122
[ Show 19 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH309
• StrangeGG 53
• Reevou 5
• Migwel
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 46
• Azhi_Dahaki19
• blackmanpl 17
• FirePhoenix10
• ZZZeroYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV447
League of Legends
• Nemesis3830
• TFBlade989
Other Games
• Shiphtur331
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
6h 13m
Kung Fu Cup
17h 13m
Stellar Fest
19h 13m
The PondCast
1d 16h
OSC
1d 19h
OSC
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.