• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 01:43
CEST 07:43
KST 14:43
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)27Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7855 users

[Trick] Hold position workers - Page 3

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All
Salv
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
Canada3083 Posts
February 22 2012 21:42 GMT
#41
Can someone elaborate on this method, I still don't understand. You select all the probes and group them, right click them all on a probe in the middle of the ball and hit 'H' (H probes), and then click that probe you right clicked on and have it A move somewhere (A move Probe). This makes the zerglings ignore the 'H' probes and only try to get to the 'Amove probe'?
TBone-
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States2309 Posts
February 22 2012 21:42 GMT
#42
Seems so simple but yet so brilliant.
Eve online FC, lover of all competition
NonY
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
8751 Posts
February 22 2012 21:43 GMT
#43
On February 23 2012 06:38 darkcloud8282 wrote:
I thought everyone does hold position with their lings?

hold position with lings is effective only if there's a good spread of lings through the mineral line. but when this maneuver is done by the defender, there are only 3-4 workers exposed to 3-4 lings. and when those die, zerg has to move forward and hold position again.
"Fucking up is part of it. If you can't fail, you have to always win. And I don't think you can always win." Elliott Smith ---------- Yet no sudden rage darkened his face, and his eyes were calm as they studied her. Then he smiled. 'Witness.'
bananaman533
Profile Joined June 2010
86 Posts
February 22 2012 21:44 GMT
#44
lol so many people are missing the point of the OP.
This is pretty sick Geiko! =D
oxxo
Profile Joined February 2010
988 Posts
February 22 2012 21:46 GMT
#45
Interesting find. Never realized it was the a-move command and not the actual attack that changes priorities.
burningPurple
Profile Joined May 2010
Norway76 Posts
February 22 2012 21:46 GMT
#46
On February 23 2012 05:53 eNtitY~ wrote:
How is this new to anyone to just didn't buy the game? This has been done in so many competitive matches and has been known forever...


I've been playing since beta and this is news to me ^_^

I also watch a ton of streams when I have the chance (which is every other month, since I can't watch stream when I'm at work and I'm working one month at a time, stupid shitty internets >_<) and I've actually never heard mention of this.

Thanks for sharing Geiko! =D
You must learn to allow patience and stillness to take over from anxiety and frantic activity... The good player is patient. He is observant, controlling his patience, and organizing his composure. When he sees an opportunity, he explodes.
Uncultured
Profile Joined September 2010
United States1340 Posts
February 22 2012 21:46 GMT
#47
On February 23 2012 06:42 Salv wrote:
Can someone elaborate on this method, I still don't understand. You select all the probes and group them, right click them all on a probe in the middle of the ball and hit 'H' (H probes), and then click that probe you right clicked on and have it A move somewhere (A move Probe). This makes the zerglings ignore the 'H' probes and only try to get to the 'Amove probe'?



Exactly that.
Don't you rage when you lose too? -FruitDealer
Warpath
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada1242 Posts
February 22 2012 21:52 GMT
#48
At some point somebody is going to make an elaborate troll post and catch 99% of readers that don't read beyond the first paragraph.

Using pure workers for this is a pretty good idea. never occurred to me!
Bidj
Profile Joined September 2010
France98 Posts
February 22 2012 21:54 GMT
#49
Vert interesting and helpful against runby.
Great find !
Rooooaaaar
Sinensis
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States2513 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-22 22:01:35
February 22 2012 22:00 GMT
#50
I did not know you could do this with only workers. I'll use it now that I know though.

EDIT It takes 6 drones to surround 1 drone when I tried. So just box 7 drones, click 1 drone, hold position, attack with that one drone and you're safe(r).
UmiNotsuki
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States633 Posts
February 22 2012 22:06 GMT
#51
Hey, this is actually kinda cool, I like this I think some people misunderstand you and think you are referring to the fact that workers on hold position don't get included in threat calculations for army units and thus aren't attacked by a-move units, but in fact this trick is clearly a function of this fact that enables you to create a bubble of workers which will take absolutely no damage from an a-moved melee army (or, in fact, any army who's max range is less than the distance from the outside of the bubble to the worker in the middle.)

I think I'll use this against zealot warp-ins as a Zerg player, and also it'll be good to be aware of when I do get lings into mineral lines. Thanks!
UmiNotsuki.111 (NA), UNTReborn.932 (EU), UmiNotsuki (iCCup) -- You see that text I wrote above this? I'll betcha $5 that you disagree :D
Geiko
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
France2036 Posts
February 22 2012 22:25 GMT
#52
On February 23 2012 07:06 UmiNotsuki wrote:
Hey, this is actually kinda cool, I like this I think some people misunderstand you and think you are referring to the fact that workers on hold position don't get included in threat calculations for army units and thus aren't attacked by a-move units, but in fact this trick is clearly a function of this fact that enables you to create a bubble of workers which will take absolutely no damage from an a-moved melee army (or, in fact, any army who's max range is less than the distance from the outside of the bubble to the worker in the middle.)

I think I'll use this against zealot warp-ins as a Zerg player, and also it'll be good to be aware of when I do get lings into mineral lines. Thanks!


Not sure how effective this is against zealot warpins... It's probably better to run your drones away in that case.
The trick is useful because against speedlings, there's really no other way to escape.
geiko.813 (EU)
BlueBoxSC
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
United States582 Posts
February 22 2012 22:29 GMT
#53
I've played this game for over a year as a serious hobby and I've never known this. TIL.
BwCBlueBox.837
fighter2_40
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States420 Posts
February 22 2012 22:36 GMT
#54
Nice I didn't know that you can do this with melee units either, especially with other workers.
ClysmiC
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States2192 Posts
February 22 2012 22:42 GMT
#55
This is pretty smart. Never thought of using pure workers to pull this trick off ^^
BuddhaMonk
Profile Joined August 2010
781 Posts
February 22 2012 22:48 GMT
#56
Clever trick. I think some people in this thread did not read your entire post, or don't understand what you're saying because I've never seen pros use the trick in this manner with probes only.
pallad
Profile Joined September 2010
Poland1958 Posts
February 22 2012 22:51 GMT
#57
On February 23 2012 05:48 HaeHei wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 23 2012 05:45 MooMooMugi wrote:
Thought this was widely known already


same


same here ..
Where is the trick ..? its normal , you cant past hold position units , not only workers..
SC 2 -LingsLover- EU -- Jaedong , NesTea , Nerchio , DRG , Moon , Oz , Tarson , Scarlett -- Dota 2 Pallad EU- NaVi - LGD
SeraKuDA
Profile Joined November 2010
Canada343 Posts
February 22 2012 22:55 GMT
#58
Heh, well, I've been playing this game since the Beta and I never knew.
Dalavita
Profile Joined August 2010
Sweden1113 Posts
February 22 2012 23:01 GMT
#59
Cool thing. I've been doing something similar where I shift between a-moving and hold positioning my workers when I'm microing marines vs lings/zealots, but I'm gonna start doing this vs lings/zealots when they harass the mineral line as well.
mango_destroyer
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada3914 Posts
February 22 2012 23:08 GMT
#60
Cool trick, I knew about the hold thing but not with a worker in the middle. It is very helpful as I don`t have random spines in middle of my worker line when a ling run by occurs. Doing it with just workers is great to buy time.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 4h 17m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2021
Snow 172
910 42
Bale 29
Noble 17
ZergMaN 13
Icarus 7
sorry 1
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm182
Fuzer 23
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox720
C9.Mang0176
Mew2King39
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1193
WinterStarcraft623
Other Games
summit1g8229
JimRising 632
PiGStarcraft296
ArmadaUGS145
Sick132
Maynarde127
RuFF_SC288
Livibee70
ViBE56
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick587
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream166
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• practicex 32
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2231
League of Legends
• Lourlo1258
• Rush1136
• Stunt453
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
4h 17m
OSC
7h 17m
Stellar Fest
7h 17m
OSC
18h 17m
Stellar Fest
1d 7h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.