• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:34
CEST 16:34
KST 23:34
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)56Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9640 users

Put down the pitchforks, or lower them, at least. - Page 18

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 16 17 18 19 20 35 Next All
NeonFox
Profile Joined January 2011
2373 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-14 14:27:39
February 14 2012 14:26 GMT
#341
+ Show Spoiler +
On February 14 2012 23:18 -y0shi- wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 14 2012 23:05 DJFaqU wrote:
MLG has so much advertising that charging 20 dollars for a weekend is just a punch in the face of the people who want to watch. They can't lose the status of being money grubbing whores that they have for me, anymore.

And a whole lot of idiots watching even fall for the ads, so they should be able to make the advertisers pay. See: Visine. "Hurr durr, they support esports" - No they don't, you retards, they support getting more money.


If they say that they cant live from adds alone I'm willing to believe that.
And yeah, fuck them for actually trying to make money, how evil.. Every sport exists for the purpose of making money, "we give you entertainment, you give us money, both happy"


Still 20$ is just too much for me:

5$ + the usual adds? "We need to find some way to make this work and 5$ should be fine for most people" - In a heartbeat

10$ + the usual adds "We know this is sudden but we cant live from adds alone" - Well Its MLG and I always enjoyed their stuff, dont like it but oh well...

20$ with or without adds - Nope, sorry :/



10$ with adds for 3 days of content is still too steep compared to the rest of the offers (GSL, or free to watch tournaments like ESL, IPL or Assembly) but I'd maybe be willing to pay for it if the content was really, really worth it.

5$ with full adds, yes I would pay. What I'd be more willing to pay is something like the price of a gold membership for a year if it included ALL the content.

Edit : Hell, the price of a gold membership AND adds if it has to be this way.
Yorbon
Profile Joined December 2011
Netherlands4272 Posts
February 14 2012 14:27 GMT
#342
This is the reason i like capitalism.
KeyHunt
Profile Joined August 2010
United States218 Posts
February 14 2012 14:32 GMT
#343
As always an interesting read Alex. In the end, I hope MLG just responds to criticism with action and the Winter Arena is an awesome events that people feel like they must buy to see. I don't think people in this community can turn down a well-produced, unique product. The question is..can MLG do it? I think they can with enough help. So, option A.
Afterstar
Profile Joined November 2010
67 Posts
February 14 2012 14:32 GMT
#344
$20 is too much with or without adds.

It should be something such as:
Free: LQ(360p) with adds
$5: LQ+(480p) with adds OR as a single day HQ(720p-1080p) pass
$10: HQ(720-1080p) with no adds.
Don't cry because it's over,smile because it happened.
trebad
Profile Joined September 2011
19 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-14 14:46:15
February 14 2012 14:37 GMT
#345
I get get a full season of GSL for $15. I bought a Gold Membership with the promise of great things to come. Almost seems like a Bait and Switch tactic.

However,
I don't think asking for $20 4 times a year is too unreasonable. You should get the MLG championship as well though. I don't know how many season the GSL will have this year, but Iook at what it costs to get a year of GSL.
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
February 14 2012 14:39 GMT
#346
I spent $20 on dinner in an entire week, this is ridiculous and as a student, I simply can't afford it.

The 3-5 hours of content that I would be able to catch live is not worth the price point, plain and simple. I'll catch the games as VODs when they come out for free, and put them on in the background while I study, just as I usually do for the championship series games (typically only watch the last 3-4 rounds on sunday live).
Akta
Profile Joined February 2011
447 Posts
February 14 2012 14:39 GMT
#347
On February 14 2012 22:56 Treva wrote:
Such sad poll results with almost 40% of people saying they wouldn't even pay $10 or less. I don't know how Sundance puts up with trying to make this shit grow when a huge amount of people just bitch that they want free stuff but then complain when it's not that well produced. Unbelievable.
Like I posted earlier in the thread, right now it doesn't really matter for me personally if it's $5 or 20 because I'm more worried about potential detrimental effects with models like this in the long run than the entertainment I might get from this event. So even though it would be nice if they lowered it to 10 I voted that I wouldn't buy it anyway since I don't think I would.
Recoil
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States276 Posts
February 14 2012 14:47 GMT
#348
Well put Alex I agree with your points. I had similar feelings and I posted the in the "main" thread. I probably would have found a way to pay $10 for this tournament but $20 is just out of the question when comparing the value to the GSL or GSTL.
makk
Profile Joined June 2011
United Kingdom132 Posts
February 14 2012 14:52 GMT
#349
For me
$5: Instant buy
$10: Probably buy depending on production / casters
$20: No chance

$20 has got to be around the cost of a month of Premier League games.
pezit
Profile Joined October 2010
Sweden302 Posts
February 14 2012 14:55 GMT
#350
On February 14 2012 22:56 Treva wrote:
Such sad poll results with almost 40% of people saying they wouldn't even pay $10 or less. I don't know how Sundance puts up with trying to make this shit grow when a huge amount of people just bitch that they want free stuff but then complain when it's not that well produced. Unbelievable.


Oh poor Sundance, he probably lives in a basement somewhere and works constantly all day for pennies. We should pay for this event so he can feed his family right?

Stop feeling sympathy for companies you god damn idiots, it's disgusting.
Chenz
Profile Joined November 2010
Sweden1197 Posts
February 14 2012 14:55 GMT
#351
I'd have no problem paying 10$ for 720p with ads, 10 bucks really isn't that much. 20$ for just a weekend is a little steep though. I'm kind of disappointed with MLG still airing the finals on a late sunday night/early monday morning in Europe. Is it that unreasonable to air it on a saturday or earlier on a sunday, maybe at 16:00?
Bagration
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
United States18282 Posts
February 14 2012 14:57 GMT
#352
MLG should have asked Herman Cain to do a promotional. Make the PPV cost $9.99.

Great insight by an industry insider, though I personally would have preferred a year-long subscription, as it is just less hassle, rather than PPV each Arena
Team Slayers, Axiom-Acer and Vile forever
YoungNV
Profile Joined March 2011
Canada18 Posts
February 14 2012 14:58 GMT
#353
I simply do not have the time to sit around for the whole weekend watching the stream. If I had the time, I might be willing to spend some money. $20 for an entire weekend of entertainment is not bad... but who has time for that? If you're like me you might be lucky to have a couple hours of free time to watch. I'm a full-time student and I work part-time. The only chance I get to watch SC2 content is usually while studying or during breaks from studying. So in my case I would be paying $20 for 2 hours of entertainment—not worth it. Maybe in the summer I will have more free time—then I might consider paying. But even then, I will be on a tight budget, saving money for tuition, etc.

Ultimately, I will continue to watch SC2 streams but I will watch whatever is available for free during the limited spare time I have. Sometimes I will run 2 or 3 streams at a time in the background while I do homework. If that's not enough support for you (Sundance/MLG) then you have likely lost me as a fan/spectator.

All the best!
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes.
Miefer
Profile Joined March 2011
Taiwan229 Posts
February 14 2012 15:00 GMT
#354
PPV will never work and if it continues on esport will just decline like it already has begun. I know 10 people who play sc2 since realease. now none of them play it anymore even myself only 2 games in season 5. I am also the only one who watch esports of the people i know. PPV will not raise any more viewers it will only decrease at best. also in Europe PPV never had a tradition, at least not in Germany. Premiere, Sky all the large tv broadcaster here fail at PPV. the people are not even willing to pay money to watvh soccer in tv, so i cant imagine that PPV will have much success here. sc2 is only one hobby among others. If you cant watch sc2 then whatever. I got the feeling that mlg or others think that there are enough viewers willing to pay because of the big number of viewership but to be honest its always the same bunch of people watching.
NoobSkills
Profile Joined August 2009
United States1603 Posts
February 14 2012 15:01 GMT
#355
The Free Model works for the NFL. Sundance is Scrooge minus the revalation at the end of the story.

Wasn't Sundance on a talk show boasting that MLG alone is a 150 million dollar buisness each year? Holding only what 5 events (i think) last year. They are just trying to make money and I won't give them a dime. I don't like paying for the GSL either, but they keep advertising simple and reasonable. During the cast the sponsors are given a few shoutouts, but nothing crazy and when watching a vod there is a simple 15(ish) second commercial that doesn't have the volume boosted so fucking loud that I have to mute my speakers. If teams were getting more of the money and the prize pools were much larger at MLG events I could perhaps justify paying for this, but when you brag about making 150 million, but have a low payout for every event except the final, charge the customer for a stream, and have generally less content per dollar when compared to the rest of the organizations I can't support you.

MLG - Major League Greed
Sway.746
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States95 Posts
February 14 2012 15:02 GMT
#356
Maybe MLG should look at it's cost structure instead of expecting kids to overpay for a weekend if entertainment. I pay for GSL because it's not only the best games, production value, and caters, but because there is a metricfuckton of content that comes with it.

It was nice knowing ya, MLG.
Nexxie
Profile Joined September 2011
Sweden13 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-14 15:04:27
February 14 2012 15:03 GMT
#357
I think a low-quality free stream (the way GSL does it) would be better instead of a purely premium based model with no free alternatives.
TheEvo
Profile Joined January 2012
United States23 Posts
February 14 2012 15:05 GMT
#358
I put down the $20 not because I think it will be worth it, but I really want this industry grow. Making an even like this fail intentionally is not something I want to do. I wouldn't advocate it to be a smashing event and set a precedence either.

MLG is a good tournament with good players and I like how they are talking about flying players out and putting them up on their dime, but you aren't the only tournament. If this becomes a standard and there are 3-4 tournaments in a month people would be paying more to watch the game than the game itself cost in a single month. Not very sustainable, at all.

I'm going to restate a point people have already made, if myself and others are paying $20 bucks for this it damn well be pretty polished of an event. Lots of professionalism, quality production, and constant value from it. If it was anything like IEM where I am sitting for 30-40 minutes between matches watching 1 overlay and 1 commercial on repeat I would never pay for another MLG production again regardless of price point. If you're going to charge do it right the first time and please please please blow us away. Make it worth it.
Evolution
quantumslip
Profile Joined May 2010
United States188 Posts
February 14 2012 15:05 GMT
#359
On February 15 2012 00:01 NoobSkills wrote:
The Free Model works for the NFL. Sundance is Scrooge minus the revalation at the end of the story.

Wasn't Sundance on a talk show boasting that MLG alone is a 150 million dollar buisness each year? Holding only what 5 events (i think) last year. They are just trying to make money and I won't give them a dime. I don't like paying for the GSL either, but they keep advertising simple and reasonable. During the cast the sponsors are given a few shoutouts, but nothing crazy and when watching a vod there is a simple 15(ish) second commercial that doesn't have the volume boosted so fucking loud that I have to mute my speakers. If teams were getting more of the money and the prize pools were much larger at MLG events I could perhaps justify paying for this, but when you brag about making 150 million, but have a low payout for every event except the final, charge the customer for a stream, and have generally less content per dollar when compared to the rest of the organizations I can't support you.

MLG - Major League Greed


do please quote the $150 million, because that seems to be an outlandish accusation to make without any context/basis.
rawr!
JLew
Profile Joined February 2011
Canada353 Posts
February 14 2012 15:06 GMT
#360
I honestly don't see the big issue with this at all. The Winter Arena in my opinion has been marketed as a premium, almost VIP or boutique style event with really high production value. The price reflects this, the only way I will feel ripped off is if I purchase the ticket and don't feel like I got my moneys worth (ie. if the production quality is closer to that of past MLG events, lots of dead space between games, etc. )

I'm sure a vast majority of the people here will spend at least $20 multiple times a week on dinner and drinks, $20 or more on a sporting event ticket, or even up to $60 for a PPV of a sporting event (MMA comes to mind) which will last less than a few hours without a premium VOD service later.

For the people saying "I'd pay $10 but not $20", you really have to think about the amount of money you're whining about, please think about it next time you spend $10 to go to a movie or buy Starbucks for you and your girlfriend. Compare those things to getting an entire weekend of premium viewing on 5 different streams? $20 is a good deal in my opinion. Like Alex said, at some point these organizations have to make money from sources other than 3rd party sponsors, and because of this the cost of production will go up, and along with it the amount of content and quality of content.

@Triumph_eSports . www.Triumph-eSports.com
Prev 1 16 17 18 19 20 35 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 3
IntoTheiNu 991
ComeBackTV 701
SteadfastSC551
TaKeTV 391
IndyStarCraft 136
Rex105
EnkiAlexander 58
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 551
ProTech145
IndyStarCraft 136
Rex 105
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 50988
Bisu 2099
Horang2 1292
EffOrt 956
Soma 621
Hyuk 600
BeSt 545
Mini 491
Light 417
Larva 336
[ Show more ]
Rush 236
ZerO 212
910 91
Mong 85
Leta 77
Sea.KH 63
Snow 60
firebathero 56
Pusan 54
ToSsGirL 38
Mind 36
JYJ 32
Sexy 29
Aegong 27
Bale 24
Yoon 23
Terrorterran 20
Shine 16
Trap 16
Rock 14
Sacsri 12
Noble 11
ajuk12(nOOB) 9
Dota 2
Gorgc7171
qojqva899
Counter-Strike
Fnx 772
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes1501
Khaldor1074
Lowko467
Other Games
singsing2056
olofmeister1585
hiko1272
Beastyqt611
B2W.Neo409
Livibee217
Hui .181
Liquid`VortiX149
XaKoH 133
ArmadaUGS111
KnowMe88
djWHEAT77
Mew2King74
QueenE66
ZerO(Twitch)12
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV209
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream97
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 10
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• mYiSmile18
• poizon28 7
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 35
• FirePhoenix13
• Michael_bg 3
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis3018
Other Games
• Shiphtur140
Upcoming Events
OSC
7h 26m
CranKy Ducklings
19h 26m
Online Event
20h 26m
FEL
1d 1h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 2h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 4h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 19h
INu's Battles
1d 21h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.