• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:35
CEST 16:35
KST 23:35
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)56Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9671 users

Put down the pitchforks, or lower them, at least. - Page 17

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 15 16 17 18 19 35 Next All
Tobberoth
Profile Joined August 2010
Sweden6375 Posts
February 14 2012 13:46 GMT
#321
On February 14 2012 22:40 Sideburn wrote:
I just feel so confused by the community's response to all of this. It just seems like a petulant child screaming about something they don't want or don't like. The amount of entitlement is disgusting.

I don't see how people can blindly and ignorantly claim they wouldn't even pay $10 for something because CLEARLY ad revenue MORE than makes up for it. Thank god we all have such insider information.

No one cares about that, and no, you're completely wrong.

It's not about sense of entitlement, it's about relative value. I can watch GSL for free, why would I spend 20 dollars for one MLG event? It's extremely overpriced compared to the rest of the market, you can watch pretty much anything for free, so most people won't have any problem skipping an event which you have to pay for. It's not sense of entitlement, it's just using common sense. Which MLG should use as well and realize the viewership will be pathetic and thus they won't be making any money anyway.
rotegirte
Profile Joined April 2011
Germany2859 Posts
February 14 2012 13:48 GMT
#322
On February 14 2012 22:43 oDDable wrote:
$10 seems much more appropriate. Again... unless you have something really special that that $20 is going to. Like if you send MarineKing skydiving... well yeah then my $20 is worth it probably.


Ok, go on..
Spaceboy
Profile Joined February 2011
United Kingdom220 Posts
February 14 2012 13:50 GMT
#323
Great post Alex and I'm basically in agreement.

I can totally see why at least experimenting with PPV is necessary for the industry to become sustainable.. but I just feel the price is too high. It's not even a particularly logical decision on my part, because I could afford to pay $20 and it wouldn't mean I go hungry, but on some level psychologically that figure just rankles... whereas if it was $10 it'd be a no-brainer. I think one reason for this feeling is that I can't help but imagine that most tournaments will be heading to a PPV model in the future and establishing a reasonable price point is going to be extremely important for those of us that plan on trying to watch pretty much every tournament that comes up. So I ask myself; if there was a $10 tournament every weekend would I feel happy continually paying that and supporting the scene? Yes, I probably would... but $20 would really make me think twice as over the year that would mount up pretty considerably.

As others have also mentioned it does seem an unfortunate choice to try out this experiment on the same weekend as Assembly as there's only so much SC2 one man can take and if I'm already watching many hours of it for free at an EU friendly time.. well lets just say it becomes a lot less attractive to watch another 20 or so more hours by staying up till 6am each morning and paying for the privilege.
I am terrible at this game!
Fjolle
Profile Joined August 2010
Denmark25 Posts
February 14 2012 13:53 GMT
#324
So... I cancelled my Gold membership and told MLG why.

I hope that they will have some fun. I won't be paying to watch it.
Treva
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States535 Posts
February 14 2012 13:56 GMT
#325
Such sad poll results with almost 40% of people saying they wouldn't even pay $10 or less. I don't know how Sundance puts up with trying to make this shit grow when a huge amount of people just bitch that they want free stuff but then complain when it's not that well produced. Unbelievable.
Live it up.
rotegirte
Profile Joined April 2011
Germany2859 Posts
February 14 2012 14:00 GMT
#326
On February 14 2012 22:56 Treva wrote:
Such sad poll results with almost 40% of people saying they wouldn't even pay $10 or less. I don't know how Sundance puts up with trying to make this shit grow when a huge amount of people just bitch that they want free stuff but then complain when it's not that well produced. Unbelievable.


Aren't you forgetting the 60% willing to pay for content?
RajaF
Profile Joined March 2011
Canada530 Posts
February 14 2012 14:00 GMT
#327
On February 14 2012 22:40 Sideburn wrote:
I just feel so confused by the community's response to all of this. It just seems like a petulant child screaming about something they don't want or don't like. The amount of entitlement is disgusting.

I don't see how people can blindly and ignorantly claim they wouldn't even pay $10 for something because CLEARLY ad revenue MORE than makes up for it. Thank god we all have such insider information.


Actually it seems more like the response a smart consumer base gives to someone who is trying to rip them off. But nice try, you wanted to sound all smart and stuff yet came off as smug and condescending. Keep up the quality posts.
anathematize
Profile Joined June 2011
United States69 Posts
February 14 2012 14:00 GMT
#328
Sundance may have my $20 this time. But I've let him know via email that it may be the last time.

I've supported MLG since 2006 and gone out of my way to throw all my money at them. Something about this just doesn't feel right. Maybe its too much too fast, I really don't know.

As usual, Sundance personally answered my email within 15 minutes. I DO want to support a guy like that. One of the most down-to-earth CEO's I've had the pleasure (or pain) of dealing with.
GreatKhan
Profile Joined September 2011
United Kingdom8 Posts
February 14 2012 14:01 GMT
#329
I'm just annoyed I forked out for a Gold membership only to get half as many events as last year included in my membership.

I'm seriously thinking about cancelling my membership too.
StarGalaxy
Profile Joined March 2011
Germany744 Posts
February 14 2012 14:01 GMT
#330
Respect for EG!

Thank you for the honest statement.
Cj hero | Zest
darkscream
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Canada2310 Posts
February 14 2012 14:05 GMT
#331
Option other: MLG has no way to take my money. They have my eyes which they sell to advertisers, its up to them to figure out how to make that work. Streamers make it work, TV makes it work. ESPORTS fans dont have the depth of wallet that NFL, UFC, WWF fans have. We just dont.
DJFaqU
Profile Joined May 2011
466 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-14 14:07:20
February 14 2012 14:05 GMT
#332
MLG has so much advertising that charging 20 dollars for a weekend is just a punch in the face of the people who want to watch. They can't lose the status of being money grubbing whores that they have for me, anymore.

And a whole lot of idiots watching even fall for the ads, so they should be able to make the advertisers pay. See: Visine. "Hurr durr, they support esports" - No they don't, you retards, they support getting more money.
scDeluX
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
Canada1341 Posts
February 14 2012 14:09 GMT
#333
I also think that 20$ is a bit overpriced. 10$ or 15$ would've been perfect.
Brood War is forever
The KY
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United Kingdom6252 Posts
February 14 2012 14:10 GMT
#334
Option A because I wanna watch MLG -.-
floor exercise
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
Canada5847 Posts
February 14 2012 14:15 GMT
#335
I wish people would pump the brakes a bit on all the entitlement talk

Think of all the people who are merely casual viewer who just don't care that much to throw down $20. They watch a couple games during MLGs but they don't post, they don't glue themselves to the computer for it. Are they all entitled shit heads too?

Whether or not you want to accept it, the reality is many people don't see the value in paying to watch people play video games. There's no reason to call these people cheap or accuse them of hurting esports. It's just a basic fact. I might regularly buy something many others don't see the value in, like say my usenet subscription, I don't accuse them all of being cheap for it. Why would I?

When a lot of people say "this isn't worth it to me, I'm going to pass" as a business you should be listening to that very closely. What you don't do is throw a temper tantrum and call everyone self entitled because they don't see the value in your product. That is your problem to solve when you decide to sell something.
bonifaceviii
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada2890 Posts
February 14 2012 14:17 GMT
#336
Gold members got boned.

If you want to encourage a paid viewership you don't screw over the people who pay upfront, wtf
Stay a while and listen || http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=354018
Calyeah
Profile Joined April 2011
United Kingdom32 Posts
February 14 2012 14:17 GMT
#337
If the price had been set at $10 then I would have been much more tempted to buy it, but as it stands I won't be paying. I'm studying right now and my budget is finite, so when I look at where I will be spending my money with regards to esports then I have to be rather picky. Right now the GSL is the benefactor of what I am willing to spend, and with their yearly sub plan it works out quite cheap for a wealth of content. When I compare what MLG is offering here (no live audience/what is basically a side tournament for their usual circuit), then I fail to see where they can justify the $20 price tag.
-y0shi-
Profile Joined July 2011
Germany994 Posts
February 14 2012 14:18 GMT
#338
On February 14 2012 23:05 DJFaqU wrote:
MLG has so much advertising that charging 20 dollars for a weekend is just a punch in the face of the people who want to watch. They can't lose the status of being money grubbing whores that they have for me, anymore.

And a whole lot of idiots watching even fall for the ads, so they should be able to make the advertisers pay. See: Visine. "Hurr durr, they support esports" - No they don't, you retards, they support getting more money.


If they say that they cant live from adds alone I'm willing to believe that.
And yeah, fuck them for actually trying to make money, how evil.. Every sport exists for the purpose of making money, "we give you entertainment, you give us money, both happy"


Still 20$ is just too much for me:

5$ + the usual adds? "We need to find some way to make this work and 5$ should be fine for most people" - In a heartbeat

10$ + the usual adds "We know this is sudden but we cant live from adds alone" - Well Its MLG and I always enjoyed their stuff, dont like it but oh well...

20$ with or without adds - Nope, sorry :/
BisuDagger
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Bisutopia19387 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-14 14:24:28
February 14 2012 14:22 GMT
#339
It's tough to keep making payments for these events especially when I barely make it month to month, but I just remind myself how much dedication these progamers have put into this and I can't justify not supporting them. When you love something so much, and it's easy when it's Starcraft, sometimes you too have to make sacrifices. MLG is such a wonderful event and I wish each person here could attend at least one of their events in person so you can truly feel what this atmosphere is really like. I believe that spending the money now means that we will put enough profit into the community that things will become easier in the future. Remember that these players are human and have to support themselves too. So I will pay what I must because I love Starcraft and it's competitors.

edit: spelling fixes
ModeratorFormer Afreeca Starleague Caster: http://afreeca.tv/ASL2ENG2
sereniity
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Sweden1159 Posts
February 14 2012 14:25 GMT
#340
I'll go with B... 20$ is honestly too much for this kind of event.
"I am Day9, Holy shit!"
Prev 1 15 16 17 18 19 35 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 3
IntoTheiNu 991
ComeBackTV 701
SteadfastSC551
TaKeTV 391
IndyStarCraft 136
Rex105
EnkiAlexander 58
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 551
ProTech145
IndyStarCraft 136
Rex 105
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 50988
Bisu 2099
Horang2 1292
EffOrt 956
Soma 621
Hyuk 600
BeSt 545
Mini 491
Light 417
Larva 336
[ Show more ]
Rush 236
ZerO 212
910 91
Mong 85
Leta 77
Sea.KH 63
Snow 60
firebathero 56
Pusan 54
ToSsGirL 38
Mind 36
JYJ 32
Sexy 29
Aegong 27
Bale 24
Yoon 23
Terrorterran 20
Shine 16
Trap 16
Rock 14
Sacsri 12
Noble 11
ajuk12(nOOB) 9
Dota 2
Gorgc7171
qojqva899
Counter-Strike
Fnx 772
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes1501
Khaldor1074
Lowko467
Other Games
singsing2056
olofmeister1585
hiko1272
Beastyqt611
B2W.Neo409
Livibee217
Hui .181
Liquid`VortiX149
XaKoH 133
ArmadaUGS111
KnowMe88
djWHEAT77
Mew2King74
QueenE66
ZerO(Twitch)12
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV209
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream97
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 10
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• mYiSmile18
• poizon28 7
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 35
• FirePhoenix13
• Michael_bg 3
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis3018
Other Games
• Shiphtur140
Upcoming Events
OSC
7h 26m
CranKy Ducklings
19h 26m
Online Event
20h 26m
FEL
1d 1h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 2h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 4h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 19h
INu's Battles
1d 21h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.