• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 01:23
CEST 07:23
KST 14:23
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder BW General Discussion RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site BSL Season 23
Tourneys
2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8110 users

Nobody Plays 1v1 Ladder Anymore? - Page 62

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 60 61 62 63 64 86 Next
Ewic
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada121 Posts
February 21 2012 12:23 GMT
#1221
All the past seasons I've been so caught up with being scared to ladder. I don't know why, but I just was. However, I finally reached Grandmaster and I've come to realize - it's not all it's cut out to be. Why do I care sooo much about each game?

I have turned a new leaf, and this season is going great. I'm just having fun learning from each game and not worrying if I lose a game. Heck, I went on a pretty terrible losing streak a couple days ago (went like 1-9 or something) and I wasn't phased at all.

I'm not saying you need to reach Grandmaster to lose the anxiety, but for me, that's what it took. I'm telling you guys now... If you just play and not care, you will actually be BETTER than if you don't play at all!!

---

Now, enough of that. I want to list a few things Blizzard could do to REALLY spice up the community.

- Implement more achievements (likely coming with HOTS)
- Add more portraits (likely coming with HOTS)
- Create daily tournaments with prizes like new skins, a medal for your showcase, or new privileges of some sort. Also, make the prizes EXCLUSIVE to certain level of tournaments (eg Bronze-only gets a few skins to acquire if they win a Bronze tournament, Silver tournament has other skins, etc). This will really encourage people to want to be promoted and feel like a new set of options as been opened to them.

Last but not least, like many people have said, SCII is becoming a bit dull. This is why I can't WAIT until HOTS. The more units the better!
GrandMaster Terran
JustPassingBy
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
10776 Posts
February 21 2012 12:35 GMT
#1222
Dunno, maybe people are just too competitive and are just too stuck at the "win or don't play at all"-attitude.

As for me, I am currently trying to come up with a good tactic that is easy to pull off, works more or less against all three races, and is strong against opponents of my division. As of now, I've settled for a hellion/thor composition and even though it might be trashed easily by a good opponent, I don't really care. It's fun to play, and I am not all too horrible playing it.
Kipsate
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Netherlands45349 Posts
February 21 2012 14:25 GMT
#1223
On February 21 2012 18:09 Andr3 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 21 2012 18:03 Khaine wrote:
2.get something from playing ladder games (such as getting points to purchase items like in LoL) - encourages casual players to give laddering a try


No, this is just dumb. That will ruin the balance, wont it? One of starcafts trademarks? That must be the dumbest idea i've ever heard.

Please refrain from ever posting again <3

He obviously mean't skin-like items, something that wouldn't affect the game balance. To be honest it's not a bad idea, if you'd have a mmo-like model for SC2 more people would play it.


Hats

Hats all the things

Zealots with Hats.
Marines with Hats.
Collosi with Hats.
Banelings with Hats.
WriterXiao8~~
ZeromuS
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada13426 Posts
February 21 2012 14:30 GMT
#1224
On February 21 2012 23:25 Kipsate wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 21 2012 18:09 Andr3 wrote:
On February 21 2012 18:03 Khaine wrote:
2.get something from playing ladder games (such as getting points to purchase items like in LoL) - encourages casual players to give laddering a try


No, this is just dumb. That will ruin the balance, wont it? One of starcafts trademarks? That must be the dumbest idea i've ever heard.

Please refrain from ever posting again <3

He obviously mean't skin-like items, something that wouldn't affect the game balance. To be honest it's not a bad idea, if you'd have a mmo-like model for SC2 more people would play it.


Hats

Hats all the things

Zealots with Hats.
Marines with Hats.
Collosi with Hats.
Banelings with Hats.


I for one wouldn't mind having the ability to unlock slightly different decals or unit portraits. I think that buying portraits with a token economy based system would be better than having the x amount of wins system since in the end it amounts to the same thing but will be more enticing to the general population. You can induce interest in ladder and keep players longer without having to make the game easier. Instead forcing people to take steps to get better right?
StrategyRTS forever | @ZeromuS_plays | www.twitch.tv/Zeromus_
aRRoSC2
Profile Joined March 2011
Denmark241 Posts
February 21 2012 14:43 GMT
#1225
I've just gotten fed up with having no REAL life friends who play the game. It gets stale for me having no one to talk about it with :/
Mrfishystick
Profile Joined April 2011
United States11 Posts
February 21 2012 15:16 GMT
#1226
I never could find the time to sit down for 2 hours and ladder enough. I got to plat at like 10fps and also realized playing with an integrated graphics card isn't any fun. PvP isn't any fun either...
"True warriors do not follow paths, they make them. It is not just their desire, it is their nature." - Nicholas Kerensky
TheUnderking
Profile Joined October 2010
Canada202 Posts
February 21 2012 15:47 GMT
#1227
On February 21 2012 21:23 Ewic wrote:
All the past seasons I've been so caught up with being scared to ladder. I don't know why, but I just was. However, I finally reached Grandmaster and I've come to realize - it's not all it's cut out to be. Why do I care sooo much about each game?

I have turned a new leaf, and this season is going great. I'm just having fun learning from each game and not worrying if I lose a game. Heck, I went on a pretty terrible losing streak a couple days ago (went like 1-9 or something) and I wasn't phased at all.

I'm not saying you need to reach Grandmaster to lose the anxiety, but for me, that's what it took. I'm telling you guys now... If you just play and not care, you will actually be BETTER than if you don't play at all!!


Well said. Need more people just to play the game and like it for what it is. Less crying about cheese and all-ins. Those things happen on the ladder and ipl/gsl/playhem etc. Just say "gg well done" and hit find match again.
THE PACT IS SEALED!
Incognoto
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
France10239 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-21 15:51:47
February 21 2012 15:51 GMT
#1228
Even if only 5k people laddered it would still be very easy to find a 1v1 quickly.

Coming from someone who played an RTS with "only" 3k active players. TAD Aoe3!
maru lover forever
SirPsychoMantis
Profile Joined December 2011
United States180 Posts
February 21 2012 16:47 GMT
#1229
On February 21 2012 08:15 dafunk wrote:
You'll never make ladder less stressful.
This is a duel game. If you lose you can only blame yourself.

Why do you think theres so much haters / BMers in LoL and any team game ?
Its because you've someone to blame when you lose.


Haha, sadly this is pure truth. I play a dececnt amount of Dota2 (and LoL and HoN before that) and you can pick out the bad players who blame everyone else for the loss, not the fact that they might have contributed to the loss. (example: "OMG all you guys lost your lanes, bad gg noobs" maybe you should leave the jungle instead of farming for 25 minutes as furion)

Without that scapegoat of teammates, these kinds of people turn to the game itsself, blaming the 'broken cheese'. While I don't deny there is a lot of allin play on the ladder, some people in this thread say that EVERY SINGLE GAME they play is cheese... if you play against it that much do you not learn from it? When I was in gold/plat, I would get very aggressive against toss who FFE, because most at that level have a pretty big hole in their play, I'm sure they would get mad at me for "cheesing".
Zerg #1
ElMeanYo
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1032 Posts
February 21 2012 17:29 GMT
#1230
I would like an option to turn off chat in game. That is, you can't see what anyone is typing, except perhaps for the standard phrases like 'gg, glhf', etc...

Most of the time I don't want to see what people are typing to me because it's just abusive bm. I think this would remove one of the more unpleasant aspects of playing this game.
“The only man who never makes mistakes is the man who never does anything.” ― Theodore Roosevelt
MugenXBanksy
Profile Joined April 2011
United States479 Posts
February 21 2012 18:01 GMT
#1231
On February 21 2012 09:32 FoeHamr wrote:
I just got bored with it and move on. Winning didn't feel all that great because most of the time my opponent royally fucked up or failed an all-in and I countered for the win. Losing doesn't scare me and if I lose a descent game I don't care but I play zerg and feel like all-ins are stupidly strong. I put up with it until one day 2-port banshee drove me over the edge and after losing to it 3 times in a row because my overlord barely missed the starports each time I was done. I have played 2 games this season - won one and lost the other and I think that is going to be it for me. Its a shame too, they finally fixed the map pool. In the end, I would rather just go play HoN/LoL/Minecraft and not be so frustrated.



I go play LoL to troll people cause its such a terribly easy game espeically if you play a regular RTS like SC2 or have been graced to play that new Dota2 bita(AD Kog'Maw player), if i have a day that is crappy on ladder. its a terribely balanced game though. SC2 has its own issues but i'll try not name names in that as its been complained into the ground about those issues.

not in response to foehamr:
on a side note being a lame Gold leaguer that I am 111 is still a frustrating thing if you don't prepare it properly :/ banshee marine tank /sigh

People who can't still play 1v1 have zero determination and should just uninstall as thats the only real reason to play the game. most the customs are garbage aside from doing practices matches. team games noo matter how fun they can be(feed to go mass carrier rush oh the lawlz in 3s) but some race comps are just broken we all know that in team games.

Even though I am guilty of being one of those people who screams obscenities when i lose, 85% of the time I know I should have scouted or had more or not gone that tech route or hid tech better. Anyone can understand the frustration of losing like 5 or 10 games in a row.

probes and pylons and scouting and move that mouse around abit ya'know. PVP I know there are only a few options of what it is cheese, 4gate, a 1-2base all in or some kind of retarded colossus macro war or whatever is quote un quote popular at the time, anyone remember that zeerax game back in tsl3 qualifiers and his mass immortal play in pvp had to deal with that garbage for a week. lol

we all hope to be like whitera one day
Incognoto
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
France10239 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-21 18:02:44
February 21 2012 18:02 GMT
#1232
On February 22 2012 02:29 ElMeanYo wrote:
I would like an option to turn off chat in game. That is, you can't see what anyone is typing, except perhaps for the standard phrases like 'gg, glhf', etc...

Most of the time I don't want to see what people are typing to me because it's just abusive bm. I think this would remove one of the more unpleasant aspects of playing this game.


Oh come on my fine droogy, surely responding to BM is one of the most amusing aspects of the game. ^^!

As long as you don't take anything seriously BM is amusing more than anything.
maru lover forever
MugenXBanksy
Profile Joined April 2011
United States479 Posts
February 21 2012 18:08 GMT
#1233
On February 21 2012 12:01 Rotodyne wrote:
I was high masters zerg at one point, now I just find the game not fun. The game isn't broken or anything (that much ) but I just want to relax in my free time. Not have a brain hemorrhage when I fuck up and lose 4 games in a row

I never really found the pro scene that interesting, but I'll still play team games for the social aspect on skype with some buddies.


accidentally losing a blob of 10 lings to a bane via misclick. heartattack mode engage
[image loading]

User was warned for this post
we all hope to be like whitera one day
TORTOISE
Profile Joined December 2010
United States515 Posts
February 21 2012 18:33 GMT
#1234
SC2 is losing popularity. Most of your problems are pointed at the UI, which really doesn't have an impact on keeping people playing the game. People aren't going to play a game because it has a perfect chat window.

BroodWar became a classic because it delivered compelling gameplay and spread due to the passion that players had for the game. Perhaps the SC2 bubble is finally bursting. The gameplay doesn't seem compelling enough to keep people playing as new games are released each month.

As the population of gamers moves on, the scene will die out. The biggest factor that will determine the future of SC2 is the next expansion. This really needs to renew the fanbase and hype that seems to be waning.
◕ ‿‿ ◕ ๑•́ ₃ •̀๑ ( ͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡°)
MVega
Profile Joined November 2010
763 Posts
February 21 2012 18:39 GMT
#1235
On February 22 2012 03:33 TORTOISE wrote:
SC2 is losing popularity. Most of your problems are pointed at the UI, which really doesn't have an impact on keeping people playing the game. People aren't going to play a game because it has a perfect chat window.

BroodWar became a classic because it delivered compelling gameplay and spread due to the passion that players had for the game. Perhaps the SC2 bubble is finally bursting. The gameplay doesn't seem compelling enough to keep people playing as new games are released each month.

As the population of gamers moves on, the scene will die out. The biggest factor that will determine the future of SC2 is the next expansion. This really needs to renew the fanbase and hype that seems to be waning.


I disagree. Fewer people are playing 1v1 ladder. Not as much as the original post seems to indicate as season length and other things have changed. It doesn't mean the game is losing popularity, it means that 1v1 ladder is. As something that people watch SC2 is more popular than ever.
bumkin: How can you play like 50 games per day... I 4gate 2 times then it's nap time
magnaflow
Profile Joined August 2011
Canada1521 Posts
February 21 2012 18:41 GMT
#1236
I wonder what the number are so far for season 6. It might be early into the season but I wonder if there is any growth, or losses.
Crownlol
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
United States3726 Posts
February 21 2012 18:42 GMT
#1237
On February 21 2012 23:43 aRRoSC2 wrote:
I've just gotten fed up with having no REAL life friends who play the game. It gets stale for me having no one to talk about it with :/



This.

I'd rather play LoL with 3 or 4 RL friends than ladder on my own.

Even 2v2 SC2 isn't that good, and 3v3 SC2 is a joke. However, group queuing league is great. I've transitioned most of my playtime to MOBAs now for the social aspect.

I still WATCH a lot of SC2, but I mostly play League.
shaGuar :: elemeNt :: XeqtR :: naikon :: method
ElMeanYo
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1032 Posts
February 21 2012 18:50 GMT
#1238
On February 22 2012 03:02 Incognoto wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 22 2012 02:29 ElMeanYo wrote:
I would like an option to turn off chat in game. That is, you can't see what anyone is typing, except perhaps for the standard phrases like 'gg, glhf', etc...

Most of the time I don't want to see what people are typing to me because it's just abusive bm. I think this would remove one of the more unpleasant aspects of playing this game.


Oh come on my fine droogy, surely responding to BM is one of the most amusing aspects of the game. ^^!

As long as you don't take anything seriously BM is amusing more than anything.


Some of it is amusing, but it does get tiresome after awhile. It would be nice to have the option to just switch it off.
“The only man who never makes mistakes is the man who never does anything.” ― Theodore Roosevelt
Mowr
Profile Joined November 2010
Sweden791 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-21 18:51:48
February 21 2012 18:51 GMT
#1239
On February 22 2012 02:29 ElMeanYo wrote:
I would like an option to turn off chat in game. That is, you can't see what anyone is typing, except perhaps for the standard phrases like 'gg, glhf', etc...

Most of the time I don't want to see what people are typing to me because it's just abusive bm. I think this would remove one of the more unpleasant aspects of playing this game.

You do know you can just block them in-game?
Kill one man and they'll call you a murderer. Kill an army of men and they'll call you a general. But kill all men and they'll call you a god.
Plansix
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States60190 Posts
February 21 2012 18:56 GMT
#1240
On February 22 2012 01:47 SirPsychoMantis wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 21 2012 08:15 dafunk wrote:
You'll never make ladder less stressful.
This is a duel game. If you lose you can only blame yourself.

Why do you think theres so much haters / BMers in LoL and any team game ?
Its because you've someone to blame when you lose.


Haha, sadly this is pure truth. I play a dececnt amount of Dota2 (and LoL and HoN before that) and you can pick out the bad players who blame everyone else for the loss, not the fact that they might have contributed to the loss. (example: "OMG all you guys lost your lanes, bad gg noobs" maybe you should leave the jungle instead of farming for 25 minutes as furion)

Without that scapegoat of teammates, these kinds of people turn to the game itsself, blaming the 'broken cheese'. While I don't deny there is a lot of allin play on the ladder, some people in this thread say that EVERY SINGLE GAME they play is cheese... if you play against it that much do you not learn from it? When I was in gold/plat, I would get very aggressive against toss who FFE, because most at that level have a pretty big hole in their play, I'm sure they would get mad at me for "cheesing".


Agreed and most people have no approach or plan for how they are going to get better at the game. I talked with a player yesterday after a game that I won and he said he never watches his replays because he knows his problem, bad mechanics. I understood he was fustrated, but that is not the way you improve. Improving your "mechanics" is so vague and improssible to quantify for practice purposes. I don't work on my "mechanics", I work on my FFE and making sure I am fully saturated before in my main before my cybercore is up. That sort of practice and goal setting is much healther and will make people enjoy the ladder more.

But it requires a mature person to take that sort of approach. The player who gets to diamond or masters and just says "my race is to hard at this level" or "this match up is impossible due to X, Y and Z" may not be cut out for the part where your progression in skill slows down. At some point it takes a lot of active thought and review of your playing to get better. Some people are not willing to put in that time and may just leave the game.
I have the Honor to be your Obedient Servant, P.6
TL+ Member
Prev 1 60 61 62 63 64 86 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 4h 37m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nina 20
StarCraft: Brood War
Larva 651
Hyuk 470
Leta 105
Icarus 9
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm219
League of Legends
JimRising 732
Other Games
summit1g9396
WinterStarcraft472
Mew2King78
ArmadaUGS29
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick972
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream157
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2260
League of Legends
• Rush1318
• Lourlo1098
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4h 37m
INu's Battles
6h 37m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
9h 37m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
13h 37m
BSL Open Qualifier
13h 37m
Replay Cast
17h 37m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 4h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 5h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 10h
Replay Cast
1d 17h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.