• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:25
CEST 04:25
KST 11:25
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6061 users

Nobody Plays 1v1 Ladder Anymore? - Page 36

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 34 35 36 37 38 86 Next
zeromajor01
Profile Joined June 2011
United States17 Posts
February 14 2012 17:28 GMT
#701
The game is paid for already. Blizzard does not care if you play it anymore as long as you buy HOTS. They are not going to take any dramatic action unless they believe it will impact you buying HOTS or not supporting Blizzards other revenue sources. You guys need to be realistic in your expectations on what they are going to do.
Fossa
Profile Joined July 2011
United States67 Posts
February 14 2012 17:31 GMT
#702
yes its true blizzard is a company and mostly cares about their revenue, but they did add cloud kingdom and korhal compound to the map pool, which shows that they care some
bartus88
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Netherlands491 Posts
February 14 2012 17:35 GMT
#703
Me and my few friends who played the game still do, but much less nowadays. I'm not planning on quitting any time soon.

One thing I like to add about the sudden drop in active players, which I haven't seen anyone mention yet, is the fact that the end of season 4 coincided with the release of some mayor games. Skyrim, Skyward Sword, BF3, the most recent CoD. I imagine lots of people switched their attention to other games because of this. I personally didn't play any SC2 for 3-4 weeks after Skyrim was released.
Random master race
MattyClutch
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States711 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-14 22:42:25
February 14 2012 17:54 GMT
#704
My work schedule changed and I just don't have the time to ladder like I once did. Now I only get to play a few games a week and I generally want those to either be quality (customs vs someone I know is around my skill level) or laid back fun team games with friends.
Nihn'kas Neehn
Xalorian
Profile Joined September 2011
Canada433 Posts
February 14 2012 18:10 GMT
#705
On February 15 2012 02:28 zeromajor01 wrote:
The game is paid for already. Blizzard does not care if you play it anymore as long as you buy HOTS. They are not going to take any dramatic action unless they believe it will impact you buying HOTS or not supporting Blizzards other revenue sources. You guys need to be realistic in your expectations on what they are going to do.


They care and they will continue to. Why? Because they don't only get money from box sale, but from a lot of other shits surrounding the eSports world. And if they want SC2 to remain the great eSport that it became, they need to support it. And eSports will help their HoTS sale too, anyway.
Existor
Profile Joined July 2010
Russian Federation4295 Posts
February 14 2012 18:15 GMT
#706
1v1 is boring and repititive. Team games contains more action and fun
Natespank
Profile Joined November 2011
Canada449 Posts
February 14 2012 18:39 GMT
#707
I haven't quit, I just... don't play anymore.

I'm too busy with school, and laddering is so stressful that when I have downtime I have to use it for lower stress activities. Sometimes I'll play against the AI which I don't mind. I think it's built too much to be a dry competitive game instead of a cool game that you can play competitively. For example: the units just aren't that interesting or cool in sc2 compared to BW or wc2, and the maps aren't "cool" except for a few, they're just sort of dry and balanced. I want a bigger cool factor.

however...

It's just too stressful. No social aspect, no "fun" aspect. Compare this with Warcraft 2: I played that for YEARS and YEARS without getting tired of it. It was just awesome to play- so much fun and coolness... man... gonna go play some wc2 now actually.

PS: blizzard, if you're reading this, re-release warcraft 1 and 2 in HD with minor minor minor UI improvements and smoothness! I will love you forever!
EtherealDeath
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
United States8366 Posts
February 14 2012 18:40 GMT
#708
On February 15 2012 01:03 Lann555 wrote:
Does not surprise me at all. There was a huge influx of new players when SC2 came out and was all new and shiny. Most of them probably moved on to the next big thing or are planning to do so soon (Dota 2, Diablo 3).

The bigger problem is that the game can't even keep an RTS-junky like me interested. I have played maybe 10 games total in the last seasons, for a few simple reasons.

-Ladder mappool is still largely shit and frustrating to play on

-Battle.net 2.0 is just not fun. I had a hard time meeting new players or getting into a clan, compared to BW/War3. It just feels like a lonely place, where the only thing to do is hit that 'find match' button.

-Ladder and division system is rather meaningless and doesn't inspire me to play much. The only exciting thing about it is promoting to a new layer, but that's about it. It's hard to care whether I am #55 or #1 in a random diamond division, because there are a gazillion of them and it's impossible to really know where you stand. A single world ladder gives you a much better feeling of your standing and every game has a real impact on your standings

-Last but not least, Starcraft 2 simply isn't that well designed. One-base play and gamble builds are incredibly strong and still dominate the ladder. Lack of defender advantage and area control lead to big deathballs in mid/late game and base-races are almost becoming the standard.

Most of your points are good but that last one points to a lack in skill.

As for me, ladder was never really entertaining. This season I only played a game a day to stay in GM. Now that my last CSL season is coming to an end I'll probably start playing even less, though I still find the game interesting to watch.
absoluteX
Profile Joined December 2011
Canada26 Posts
February 14 2012 18:40 GMT
#709
I'm extremely competitive with myself so i guess that's part of the reason i'm still playing. I can easily see this game dragging a lot of people away because it is too challenging. this game also lack communication tools and features beside ladder. Customs maps are garbage, they really need to remake the custom map system because as it is the most played maps are at the top, and it won't change because maps at the top are obviously going to be played most. There's basically no way for any decent new map to gain popularity with the current map promotion system.
wwowz
Profile Joined April 2011
Canada156 Posts
February 14 2012 18:58 GMT
#710
we can't ignore that it is school season for most of college students... I used to play a lot but I can barely play a game with school
lordofsoup
Profile Joined January 2012
United States159 Posts
February 14 2012 19:00 GMT
#711
What i miss most about the war3 ladder was clans. Bnet kept track of the games of all players in a clan, so wins actually counted toward clan ranks. Sc2 is too dominated by pro players once you get to a higher level, so people who play for fun, like me feel put off. The only reason i still play ladder a little is because the custom games on sc2 are so much worse than on war 3. Footies, dota, hero wars, enfos, vamp, all these games that I loved on war3 are either not in sc2, or plain suck. I think that this has also helped to drive people away from the game. I also feel like the ladder is not balanced well for lower skill players. In dota, Icefrog managed to achieve a balance that while making dota into an extremely competitive game, also made it appealing to pubs too. I dont think that blizzard has managed to capture this. If sc2 was really so great, there would be no one playing broodwar right now.
NOHUNTERS
goldendwarf
Profile Joined January 2011
Canada170 Posts
February 14 2012 19:00 GMT
#712
Me and 6 other friends play a bunch of games together. We met each other on wc3 about 8 years ago and we've always played it together, and later on we started playing WoW. We also started playing HoN but we quit HoN and WoW already and still log on to wc3 sometimes, mainly to dota. We now play Dota2 now too. We all got sc2 and then most of them quit within 3 months and then the rest of them quit in a few months with only me and another friend logging on once a week or less. We all stopped playing because of 3 reasons:

1. The custom game system is just downright awful. Seeing desert strike and the same 6 or so maps on the first page for almost 2 years when they are such poorly made maps is pretty lame. Not being able to play anything past the 4th page because they wont ever fill makes most customs unplayable which forces us to play the same maps on the first 4 pages forever. Not being able to host games and put a specific game name is fail. I wish they would change the custom game system to wc3s where you can play and fill any game, which me and my friends did for a few years.

2. The interface is plainly horrible. Lack of chat channels and clan system is fail, we always had a clan on wc3 and recruited people and played customs and melee with them, it added a lot of fun to the game. Its almost been 2 years and blizzard has still not added clans or decent channels. Not being able to share replays adds to it, sc2 almost feels like you are playing alone specially when you are laddering.

3. The ladder system is just boring and its insignificant. In wc3 they had a server wide ladder, which would make it fun to ladder. I would always check my rank and hope to go up a few ranks each time i would ladder and it would motivate me and it would make it fun and feel rewarding when i see my rank goes up. In sc2 i played until i reached masters then all the motivation was gone, it would just be laddering to get some stupid ladder points which were meaningless since i could only see where i was within 100 people and it would only show who plays most mainly.
MugenXBanksy
Profile Joined April 2011
United States479 Posts
February 14 2012 19:12 GMT
#713
On February 14 2012 01:39 Gotmog wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 14 2012 00:30 joeschmo wrote:
I quit cause of Protoss

I quit because ZvZ is not that interesting to play
ZvP is just broken and stupid mu....always has been. Either 2base all ins (which they don't consider all ins ofc!) or deathballs which you can't beat on most maps.
ZvT is awesome...if i could i would play only ZvT. However, i have to say that bunker rushes or similar gimicks that terran can do and outright win the game, while if they don't work, they just end up a bit behind or even...just kill my soul as well

[image loading]
Mutas MOTHERF***ER HAVE YOU HEARD OF THEM

They are or the second most annoying thing to see next to making the poor decision to macro too hard and when you go to attack and see 5 brood lords and you don't have a mothership
we all hope to be like whitera one day
thezanursic
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
5504 Posts
February 14 2012 19:23 GMT
#714
It's just a pre expansion shit. The ladder *SHOULD* be bigger than ever in HOTS
http://i45.tinypic.com/9j2cdc.jpg Let it be so!
JaBrOnI
Profile Joined February 2011
Philippines59 Posts
February 14 2012 19:28 GMT
#715
I still play 1v1 but mostly just for ranking purposes only. I mostly play team/casual/custom games because its more enjoyable.

I think the people nowadays stop playing because of the balance changes that Blizzard is implementing. Well this is based on the comments that I've read regarding the incoming 1.4.3 patch. I guess that depending on the patch, there are players who would take a break from laddering 1v1 and would focus on team/casual games or sometimes play other games.

I've played Skyrim and AC: Revelations for the past couple of months and never played any SC2 game for season 5.

Most of the people who play SC2 play other games as well and there will always come a time that you'll take a break from SC2 to play other games unless you're a pro-gamer.
En Taro Tassadar
IrOnKaL
Profile Joined June 2011
United States340 Posts
February 14 2012 19:37 GMT
#716
School has eaten up a lot of my time but I can easily fit 5-10 games in a day. its good for maintaining my skill which is mid masters-ish.
fraktoasters
Profile Joined January 2011
United States617 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-14 20:03:04
February 14 2012 19:57 GMT
#717
On February 15 2012 02:28 zeromajor01 wrote:
The game is paid for already. Blizzard does not care if you play it anymore as long as you buy HOTS. They are not going to take any dramatic action unless they believe it will impact you buying HOTS or not supporting Blizzards other revenue sources. You guys need to be realistic in your expectations on what they are going to do.


And you really don't think that people playing WoL will directly impact their decision to buy HoTS?

Edit: I mean, why have new seasons? Why have any form of customer service? Why balance patches? Ladder map changes? Why update their website or moderate their forums at all? They are putting effort into SC2 that seem to not directly increase their revenue. This utilitarian view people seem to have with making games 1) isn't really what's going on 2) wouldn't work anyway
Kywalk
Profile Joined August 2010
Brazil23 Posts
February 14 2012 20:09 GMT
#718
I dont care about the UI , I don't care about the map pool , I love the ladder system except for one thing:getting the same MU over and over.They should really cap the amount of MU you can play in a row , like 2 times , I just got out of a game session that I played 5 matches , 5 tvts...
Polygamy
Profile Joined January 2010
Austria1114 Posts
February 14 2012 20:15 GMT
#719
This poll is not a very good representation because the sample is taken from a Starcraft 2 community site.
mburke05
Profile Joined October 2010
United States130 Posts
February 14 2012 20:19 GMT
#720
got bored w/ sc2, tried out bw, loved it, thats all i play when i have time now.
Prev 1 34 35 36 37 38 86 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
Continental Nation League S1
CranKy Ducklings173
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 188
ProTech126
StarCraft: Brood War
Dewaltoss 232
Terrorterran 18
Bale 16
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm197
League of Legends
Doublelift5857
JimRising 720
Counter-Strike
taco 241
minikerr40
Other Games
summit1g13225
C9.Mang0459
PiLiPiLi16
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1165
BasetradeTV190
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream37
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP182
• Letter145
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
7h 35m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
8h 35m
Monday Night Weeklies
13h 35m
Replay Cast
20h 35m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 7h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 8h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 21h
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.