• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:27
CEST 04:27
KST 11:27
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 5962 users

Nobody Plays 1v1 Ladder Anymore? - Page 35

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 33 34 35 36 37 86 Next
Teoman
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
Norway382 Posts
February 14 2012 15:53 GMT
#681
On February 15 2012 00:40 Penecks wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
I still play 1v1s, usually everyday, but I can see why people would stop. My two negative points about it, I'm sure they've been touched on:

1) Treadmill feeling - no matter how much you improve you still lose half of your games. This is incredibly unintuitive to players from other games/genres. If I'm masters and my friend is silver, you'd say the skill difference is pretty high there, yet when we play ladder we lose the same amount. If we were Counterstrike players with these same skill levels, for example, and I said our global K/D was the same you wouldn't believe it: the better players have a chance to stand out in those games.

2) Punishing, no real way to re-do a mistake - I feel like this point is at the heart of all "cheese" posts and encompasses even more of the game, which is the fact that a simple mistake that happens in 2 seconds can easily cost you a game that you've been working on building up for some time. A long time ago someone compared their games to a painting, and how their end felt like they were just slopping paint all over it. Let's say I'm playing Call of Duty and a camper kills me from behind a bush. I'm annoyed for a second or two, but then I realize I'm going to respawn in 5 seconds and have another chance to kill him. In SC if I screw up my marine split a bit vs baneling bust (example), I don't get to try that again. I'll probably never see my opponent, hell maybe I won't even play anymore TvZ that day, much less on that same map. There is no revenge factor at all to cover up for frustration.



Well, regarding your second point. Why dont you just ask him if he wants to parctice more and you can play him/her hundreds of times. Part of the fun for many people is refining their play so that they just get a grin on their face every time they see a baneling nest. I think that the main difference between for example COD and SC at a non top level is that the quest is to improve yourself and then always facing new challenges, rather than getting good stats by using your improvement to kill people not as good as yourself.

On the other hand i can understand why many find this unappealing. As mentioned: Games should be about having fun, and people find different kinds of things fun.
"Quisque est barbarus alii."
Lann555
Profile Joined February 2010
Netherlands5173 Posts
February 14 2012 16:03 GMT
#682
Does not surprise me at all. There was a huge influx of new players when SC2 came out and was all new and shiny. Most of them probably moved on to the next big thing or are planning to do so soon (Dota 2, Diablo 3).

The bigger problem is that the game can't even keep an RTS-junky like me interested. I have played maybe 10 games total in the last seasons, for a few simple reasons.

-Ladder mappool is still largely shit and frustrating to play on

-Battle.net 2.0 is just not fun. I had a hard time meeting new players or getting into a clan, compared to BW/War3. It just feels like a lonely place, where the only thing to do is hit that 'find match' button.

-Ladder and division system is rather meaningless and doesn't inspire me to play much. The only exciting thing about it is promoting to a new layer, but that's about it. It's hard to care whether I am #55 or #1 in a random diamond division, because there are a gazillion of them and it's impossible to really know where you stand. A single world ladder gives you a much better feeling of your standing and every game has a real impact on your standings

-Last but not least, Starcraft 2 simply isn't that well designed. One-base play and gamble builds are incredibly strong and still dominate the ladder. Lack of defender advantage and area control lead to big deathballs in mid/late game and base-races are almost becoming the standard.
Fantasy Fan! Gogogo vultures
Stiluz
Profile Joined October 2010
Norway688 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-14 16:10:56
February 14 2012 16:06 GMT
#683
I still actively play SC2, I like the challenge and skill it takes. :-) I can definitely understand the arguments being made here though. What helped keep me active in the game, not just on a play-level, but on a social level was joining a clan (eXe) that has teams for all levels to practice and have fun with.

What I want the most (apart from more GSL maps and HotS) are better features in Battle.net that would make more of my friends interested in keep playing. This would specifically be replay-sharing/watching (this should be a three-click process ingame), things like clan-support, better social features like more and better chat channels ala WC3. Take something from HoN: Let players jump into a game their friend is playing and let them watch from their perspective (as a volunteer option only obviously), I think that would be fun. Much more stats available so we don't need SC2gears: best and worst maps, win-ratios, matchups, stuff like that. Make it hide-able as an option. Hell, Steam integration would be fucking awesome.

Edit: What I would like to add however, is that I don't share the bad ladder experiences people seem to have. I have played from silver to diamond in EU and NA. Very very rarely has there been any form of BM at all. From memory I could probably count them on two hands, and this is from hundreds of games on different skill levels. Ditto on cheese/all-ins. There is the occasional 2-port banshee, proxy gates, 6-8 pools, but these are very rare to meet for me. Most of my games are standard games that reach the mid/lategame. ZvZ has a tendency to often be over at the early game due to how volatile the MU is.
IreScath
Profile Joined May 2009
Canada521 Posts
February 14 2012 16:09 GMT
#684
Im a mid-ish diamond player, but I don't ladder much because of all the stupid all-in and cheese I face constantly on ladder.

I usually just play customs, and not because of fear, but I get to play people I normally would not to... A lot of master league guys play customs.. Id say 1/3rd of my 1v1 random customs are vs masters... maybe half diamond and a very small portion plat and below... So I get to play vs better players.. and I can pick map.... yeaaaaaa kk thx
IreScath
Xalorian
Profile Joined September 2011
Canada433 Posts
February 14 2012 16:10 GMT
#685
On February 15 2012 00:51 Snotling wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 15 2012 00:25 Fusa wrote:
On February 14 2012 23:51 Snotling wrote:
because its not that fun. its not a game on interesting tactics and battles. its a game of doing the same thing over and over and over without making any mistakes. if you make a mistake, your dead.



this is probably why you lose a lot, if you consider doing the same thing over and over again as (scouting) then I would agree with you. If you blindly make stuf over and over you will not enjoy this game and it isn't for you


Well, actually im at 56% wr atm. Some times i even scout :-) but that doesnt change very much: banelings? more tanks, banshees? Bulid a turret. Some all-in? Build a bunker. but thats 10% of what im doing, most of the time, i have a plan and follow it. And most of the time i just build scvs and supply depots^^. I play for about a week, then i get bored, and a few months later i play another week.

I didnt want to offend anybody, but thats the reason why most gamers stop to play sc2 after a while. I have litteraly a dozend real life friends who dont play sc2 because of it.

I have a demanding job, i do a demanding sport, I have a demanding gf. I dont need a demanding, stressfull game. i rather play some rpg for an hour or watch some stream or tournament

If you want that. and if you have a lot of fun with starcraft im happy for you :D




LOL.

A dozen of your real life friends stopping because they feel they are doing the same thing over and over? Come on... really? I call BS. Someone that actually like the game and dislike sticking to a single plan and improve it, would just change is plan constantly, to have fun.

If you don't have fun by neither sticking to a plan and improving or just playing for fun and changing your plan constantly... then you just don't enjoy the game, and that's why you are not playing more than that. And, if you enjoy changing your plan constantly but lose more, therefore you are sticking to the same thing but dislike it... then what you enjoy is not the game, but the fact of actually winning. If it's the case, just quit SC2, it's not for you.

You are choosing to do the same strats again and again... it's your own fault.

In the end, I would say that the main reason why there was a big drop is because of the timing. For a casual gamer, SC2 is getting old... and for hardcore SC2 lover, there was less tournaments and less events last two months... it was a December/January season after all. Season 6 should do better on this side.

And SC2Ranks is not that accurate... I can't even find myself on it and I play a lot.
Teoman
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
Norway382 Posts
February 14 2012 16:16 GMT
#686
On February 15 2012 01:03 Lann555 wrote:
-Last but not least, Starcraft 2 simply isn't that well designed. One-base play and gamble builds are incredibly strong and still dominate the ladder. Lack of defender advantage and area control lead to big deathballs in mid/late game and base-races are almost becoming the standard.



May i ask you were you are getting that information from? If its experience then id say you are just unlucky. Or am i just lucky? For my experience is the complete opposite.
"Quisque est barbarus alii."
TubbyIsAwesome
Profile Joined February 2011
United States161 Posts
February 14 2012 16:20 GMT
#687
I quit at the start of season 2 because 75% of my games were pvp. I hate pvp with a passion. Sc2 just wasn’t really fun anymore. So I moved on. Not because it was too hard or I was scared of losing, it was just boring as shit. After seeing what they are adding in HoTS I doubt that I will ever come back...
phodacbiet
Profile Joined August 2010
United States1740 Posts
February 14 2012 16:21 GMT
#688
The reason bw battle net lasted for 10+ years is because of the UMS game system. You can join new games and expect it to fill up quickly. If you are bored with that, you can play a random zero clutter or fastest map possible. In sc2, you can only play the "most popular" games and those take ages to fill up if they arent the top 3. It was a good idea in the design to make the custom game system like this, but it was a terrible followup and no attempts of a fix was made by blizzard whatsoever. Also, why no clan support?
murphs
Profile Joined April 2011
Ireland418 Posts
February 14 2012 16:33 GMT
#689
2 Weeks ago I lost 6 pvps in a row. Vowed to stop ladder there and then.
Teoman
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
Norway382 Posts
February 14 2012 16:33 GMT
#690
On February 15 2012 01:21 phodacbiet wrote:
The reason bw battle net lasted for 10+ years is because of the UMS game system. You can join new games and expect it to fill up quickly. If you are bored with that, you can play a random zero clutter or fastest map possible. In sc2, you can only play the "most popular" games and those take ages to fill up if they arent the top 3. It was a good idea in the design to make the custom game system like this, but it was a terrible followup and no attempts of a fix was made by blizzard whatsoever. Also, why no clan support?


Isnt that just because few people play them? Or am i tripping here?

If you make a game you would still need people to fill them, and if the top 10 games cant do that, how will some random other game do it?

Although i do understand that if you had a system that put newly created games first it would be easier.
"Quisque est barbarus alii."
dkby
Profile Joined May 2010
France28 Posts
February 14 2012 16:34 GMT
#691
Why my friends and I stopped playing :
1) my friends almost never played 1v1 because it's too stressful (no automatic search for non ladder games)
2) the game became boring for us, strategies are often the same
3) the game can be really frustrating : losing to a stupid single mistake (bad or good FF mainly), game is not really intuitive and it makes self learning a bit hard, all the more when opponents use the last BO from pros. It needs a lots of time and practice to really appreciate SC2.
4) Seasons ARE WAY TOO SHORT ! it's really a pain when you don't have a lots of time to play, which is the case for a lots of people, and it's not motivating at all to involve yourself in something when it's reseted so fast.
5)Being a diamond protoss player, i feel the balance of the game at my level is quite weird, it looks more like paper rock scissors than a truly thought and balanced game, and it became frustrating too.
6) bnet sucks, chat system sucks, we were all very disappointed by this, and the lack of social interactions within the game cleary doesn't help to keep players online.
DamageControL
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
United States4222 Posts
February 14 2012 16:36 GMT
#692
It's really hard to be social; I was in a shitty clan in SC1 that made the game fun.

It's hard for me to get my friends into it.
Liquid | SKT
Snotling
Profile Joined August 2011
Germany885 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-14 19:04:50
February 14 2012 16:39 GMT
#693
On February 15 2012 01:10 Xalorian wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 15 2012 00:51 Snotling wrote:
On February 15 2012 00:25 Fusa wrote:
On February 14 2012 23:51 Snotling wrote:
because its not that fun. its not a game on interesting tactics and battles. its a game of doing the same thing over and over and over without making any mistakes. if you make a mistake, your dead.



this is probably why you lose a lot, if you consider doing the same thing over and over again as (scouting) then I would agree with you. If you blindly make stuf over and over you will not enjoy this game and it isn't for you


Well, actually im at 56% wr atm. Some times i even scout :-) but that doesnt change very much: banelings? more tanks, banshees? Bulid a turret. Some all-in? Build a bunker. but thats 10% of what im doing, most of the time, i have a plan and follow it. And most of the time i just build scvs and supply depots^^. I play for about a week, then i get bored, and a few months later i play another week.

I didnt want to offend anybody, but thats the reason why most gamers stop to play sc2 after a while. I have litteraly a dozend real life friends who dont play sc2 because of it.

I have a demanding job, i do a demanding sport, I have a demanding gf. I dont need a demanding, stressfull game. i rather play some rpg for an hour or watch some stream or tournament

If you want that. and if you have a lot of fun with starcraft im happy for you :D




LOL.

A dozen of your real life friends stopping because they feel they are doing the same thing over and over? Come on... really? I call BS. Someone that actually like the game and dislike sticking to a single plan and improve it, would just change is plan constantly, to have fun.

If you don't have fun by neither sticking to a plan and improving or just playing for fun and changing your plan constantly... then you just don't enjoy the game, and that's why you are not playing more than that. And, if you enjoy changing your plan constantly but lose more, therefore you are sticking to the same thing but dislike it... then what you enjoy is not the game, but the fact of actually winning. If it's the case, just quit SC2, it's not for you.

You are choosing to do the same strats again and again... it's your own fault.

In the end, I would say that the main reason why there was a big drop is because of the timing. For a casual gamer, SC2 is getting old... and for hardcore SC2 lover, there was less tournaments and less events last two months... it was a December/January season after all. Season 6 should do better on this side.

And SC2Ranks is not that accurate... I can't even find myself on it and I play a lot.



Its not the strat you do over and over, but the strats just dont differ that much. you make a lot of workers and supplybuildings^^

And i quit sc2 (1v1 ladder anyway) because its not for me (and many others) thats kinda the point of this thread^^
CaptainKirk
Profile Joined February 2011
Canada34 Posts
February 14 2012 16:46 GMT
#694
Yeah so I was absolutely crazy about sc2 when the beta came out... I played every day all day long in 1v1 ladder in season one... I watched like every replay after I played and was addicted to husky youtube vids and livestream from TL... but now I just have zero motivation because after season 1 I stopped playing and made a bad decision to try LoL. LoL for me was a break from the craze of 1v1 ladder in season 1 and beta, and after 4 extra season of me not playing 1v1 ladder all I can say is that I just dont think I have the time or motivation to do what I did in season 1 again especially when I factor in school and grades. Maybe if I find motivation again, I am certain I can creep up into top masters or possibly grandmasters... since most of my former 1v1 practice partners have achieved rank 1 masters / top 10 masters
xsevR
Profile Joined January 2011
United States324 Posts
February 14 2012 17:13 GMT
#695
Bnet 2.0 is terrible yes, but the matchmaking is acutally pretty great. I've been laddering way more, recently. Maybe it's because the drop in players, but even in diamond league the majority of my games are enjoyable. I also find working out in between games pretty much nullifes any ladder anxiety I might develop (and herbal treatment ^^), and motivates me for the next game.

Then again, I play for fun. I think occasional cheese is fun and a great way to make an otherwise boring game (aww man, 3rd PvP in a row!?) fun/exciting/interesting. And going further, my goal isn't to improve as a player, but to enjoy the experience (not that they are exclusive).

I think a lot of the people who look at SC2 as something more than a game to be enjoyed will continue to stop playing (I would include a lot of "pros" in this as well). Very simply, why do something that isn't fun for you?

I'm curious to see what the community is distilled to by the time legacy of the void comes out.
Sn0wM4
Profile Joined April 2011
Bulgaria68 Posts
February 14 2012 17:16 GMT
#696
After I read the second solution I stopped taking you seriously.Hiding rank and giving points to purchase items?!Are you mad?This is retarded.
mime1
Profile Joined February 2012
Sweden2 Posts
February 14 2012 17:21 GMT
#697
On February 13 2012 23:14 IOvEggY wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 13 2012 23:10 mrafaeldie12 wrote:
I guess it is because the lack of community the game has.


im guessing team liquid is not a community.


above was the most stupid comment I have ever seen.. obviously he meant the actual games' ingame-community.. like.. battle.net, which is completely useless. Worst "net" ever... depressing as hell!
Yellow SCV so imba
Gheed
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States972 Posts
February 14 2012 17:21 GMT
#698
Just to add my (very narrow) perspective, I have had no problem getting games in the bronze league within 1 minute at odd hours.

So while there may indeed be less players, I can't really see it.
Fossa
Profile Joined July 2011
United States67 Posts
February 14 2012 17:21 GMT
#699
well blizzard needs to retain their casual gamers, and the rank hiding would be optional. i myself am diamond and enjoy laddering
Cryo1
Profile Joined August 2011
Canada28 Posts
February 14 2012 17:24 GMT
#700
I actually love ladering. If I don't like a game, I don't play it.
Prev 1 33 34 35 36 37 86 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
Continental Nation League S1
CranKy Ducklings173
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 188
ProTech122
StarCraft: Brood War
Dewaltoss 247
Terrorterran 18
Bale 14
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm197
League of Legends
Doublelift5857
JimRising 736
Counter-Strike
taco 270
minikerr40
Other Games
summit1g13225
C9.Mang0459
PiLiPiLi16
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1165
BasetradeTV190
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream37
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP184
• Letter145
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 3
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
7h 33m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
8h 33m
Monday Night Weeklies
13h 33m
Replay Cast
20h 33m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 7h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 8h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 21h
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.