• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:54
CEST 16:54
KST 23:54
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site BSL Season 23 Klaucher discontinued / in-game color settings BW General Discussion Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7853 users

Nobody Plays 1v1 Ladder Anymore? - Page 26

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 24 25 26 27 28 86 Next
shizaep
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Canada2920 Posts
February 13 2012 22:20 GMT
#501
Pretty simple answer I think: It's the natural evolution of a game's life: when it first came out, it was new, it was huge and it was hyped up as fuck. Now some time passed and the more casual players have moved on and only the more serious ones remained. It will probably continue to decline more until it will start to plateau with the hardcore audience. Of course, there will be some spikes when the expansions come out.

The reason I don't play that much anymore? I wanted to get to masters really hard and played a lot to try to get there. Got from bronze all the way to consistent high diamond, with many of my games being against masters players. But I could never quite make the jump. Every time I thought I was about to get promoted, I just lost a few games. And eventually I realized that playing a lot wasn't that productive for my life, especially since I felt like I was starting to plateau in terms of skill. So I became a "casual" player, cruising at mid-diamond, playing a few games a week and replacing time I normally would have used for playing with dicking around and watching VODs and shit.
You mean I just write stuff here and other people can see it?
K_Dilkington
Profile Joined June 2011
Sweden449 Posts
February 13 2012 22:24 GMT
#502
I think the UI is the main problem with Starcraft 2. It gives you a feeling of isolation. If you could interact more with other players it would probably make it more fun to log in. The fact that HotS is (probably) delayed to 2013 does not bode well for Starcraft's future.
Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by the age of 18
roymarthyup
Profile Joined April 2010
1442 Posts
February 13 2012 22:26 GMT
#503
i think a incredibly helpful system to implement that might increase user count is to add in a ladder filter by opponents race

this filter will "try" to match everyone based on their race preferences within the first 90 seconds of searching, then after that you are sent into the anything zone

i mean seriously, how bad is it that you would be able to play zerg and thumbs down zerg and random as possible opponents? i mean considering most people playing would be doing the same thing eventually the algorithm would even itself out and ON AVERAGE people would play against the race they want to play against

this way someone could practice mainly ZvT for a week and enjoy only having to learn ZvT and practice really hard on that. possibly trying to get their ZvT to master level then relearn the other ones

i mean eventually even if you spam only ZvT games eventually you get to a point where you will lose to people better than you. So in the end who cares

i think its a great idea
jliu
Profile Joined March 2011
282 Posts
February 13 2012 22:37 GMT
#504
Here's my personal answer
I'm too afraid to botch my high MMR so I only play 2-3 games every other day (max) and only when I've accumulated a large bonus pool. I'm just too nervous about my rank (or becoming one of the players in top8 division with 500 wins) - IMO get an unranked or invisible (rank/mmr/league) matchmaking system .Or have some kind of experience based reward system and not only win-rate based.
Falling
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Canada11607 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-13 22:40:39
February 13 2012 22:39 GMT
#505
Yeah I stopped a long time ago and so did everyone I know in real life.
One friend just played through the campaign and stopped.

My brother isn't much of a 1v1'er, but will occasionally play 2v2 or 3v3 with a real life friend.

My cousin laddered hard core, but eventually quit for LoL. (For him I think it was the Battlenet 0.2 UI isolation that eventually kicked in.)

I originally stopped playing because I had terrible computer that clunked out towards the end of Beta. But then had too much fun with BW to go back. It's kinda sad as I was the big recruiter and promoter that got them all into SC2 and now I have a hard time playing it anymore. (However I am getting them all connected with Hamachi and Teamspeak to play BW now that we're all in separate cities )
ModeratorWake me up when Trump's term is finished. Slava Ukraini.
neobowman
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Canada3324 Posts
February 13 2012 22:40 GMT
#506
It was the maps.
-Debaser-
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
United States329 Posts
February 13 2012 22:43 GMT
#507
On February 14 2012 07:37 jliu wrote:
Here's my personal answer
I'm too afraid to botch my high MMR so I only play 2-3 games every other day (max) and only when I've accumulated a large bonus pool. I'm just too nervous about my rank (or becoming one of the players in top8 division with 500 wins) - IMO get an unranked or invisible (rank/mmr/league) matchmaking system .Or have some kind of experience based reward system and not only win-rate based.


why do people need artificial reward systems to motivate them to play? You're not satisfied beating someone near/above your skill level? Why play the game then?

I guess more competitive people are naturally drawn to ladder without any need for external motivation. My only motivation is improving.
TL+ Member
mango_destroyer
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada3914 Posts
February 13 2012 22:45 GMT
#508
extremely silly reason but the lack of name change and UI really turns me off from playing.....yes im weird like that. I want my name change!!!
Hossinaut
Profile Joined June 2011
United States453 Posts
February 13 2012 22:46 GMT
#509
I am diamond zerg on NA and EU, and a gold terran on NA...

So I don't believe I have ladder fear or apathy, but I just have a lot of ladders/accounts to keep track of
Smackzilla
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States539 Posts
February 13 2012 22:48 GMT
#510
On February 14 2012 07:43 ayrsen wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 14 2012 07:37 jliu wrote:
Here's my personal answer
I'm too afraid to botch my high MMR so I only play 2-3 games every other day (max) and only when I've accumulated a large bonus pool. I'm just too nervous about my rank (or becoming one of the players in top8 division with 500 wins) - IMO get an unranked or invisible (rank/mmr/league) matchmaking system .Or have some kind of experience based reward system and not only win-rate based.


why do people need artificial reward systems to motivate them to play? You're not satisfied beating someone near/above your skill level? Why play the game then?

I guess more competitive people are naturally drawn to ladder without any need for external motivation. My only motivation is improving.


That said, why not have those carrots, especially if it motivates people. There's already to avatars for win count. Why not stuff for number of games played? Honestly, they need a lot more of that kind of stuff, and it needs to happen far more regularly. The gold star at the end of the season is cool, but it doesnt happen often enough. Heavy, detailed avatar customization would be sweet and give lots of little goals for people to work towards.
You see a mousetrap. I see free cheese and a f&%*ing challenge - Scroobius Pip
dschneid
Profile Joined March 2011
United States101 Posts
February 13 2012 22:48 GMT
#511
Man, there have been a lot of these types of threads popping up lately in the last month or so (aka, sc2 sucks, more or less) and it's really gotten me down about the game. While I used to be of the opinion that a lot of people just love to complain (and I still think that) a lot of the points that I've been reading are very legit, especially about how stale the UI has been over the last 1.5 years, as well as flaws in game design, constant BM, you name it. It is ALL true, and I'm not surprised so many people have given up. While it is natural, I feel the attrition rate is probably a lot higher than it needed to be, if just some simple cahnges (like what a lot of people said about more focused custom games) were implemented. Oh well, HOTS?
Eisregen
Profile Joined September 2011
Germany967 Posts
February 13 2012 22:49 GMT
#512
I'll be honest. I stopped playing ladder in SC2 completely (same with BW back in the days) as I really get frustrated by shitplays and also mainly about my own mistakes, annoys me and I dont want to have a bad mood all the time xD
Photo-Noob@ http://www.flickr.com/photos/eisregen1983/
LittleWM
Profile Joined September 2011
13 Posts
February 13 2012 22:51 GMT
#513
On February 14 2012 06:30 fighter2_40 wrote:
So wrong. You are limited by your beliefs that there is only one way to do something. Why does the metagame constantly change? It's because there are new ways of playing the game that people haven't discovered yet. There are so many viable builds out there. In fact, if your mechanics are up to par, you can improvise builds off the fly provided that you scout your opponent well to mid masters level. There is no "right way" of playing. Become the standard of the future.


Well, that's fascinating but that's really got nothing to do with what I said. It's not a player skill thing, it's not a "If you want to win you have to use these strategies" thing. It's a "No matter what, 75% of my games are going to be identical because my opponents play identical to each other."

That isn't fun. Why not play against the AI if all they're going to do is the same thing?
henkel
Profile Joined May 2011
Netherlands146 Posts
February 13 2012 22:51 GMT
#514
same, here just don't get as much fun out of ladder as i get from customs/peepmode. Number wise it's like 1,3k+ custom games and not even 100 ladder wins(since Se2). Guess it has to do to with the feeling that i have to do my best when playing ranked while i rather play for fun and dick around in customs
vileChAnCe
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada525 Posts
February 13 2012 22:52 GMT
#515
Blizzard really needs to adopt a different policy... LoL sees more content change and fresh ideas in a seasons time then a blizzard game does in a years time. It makes little sense to sell starcraft like it is instead of cashing in on the free to play with marketplace.
Day[9] i've broken 6 mice, 5 keyboards, 3 pairs of headphones, and a mousepad, all from raging after starcraft losing streaks
tree.hugger
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Philadelphia, PA10406 Posts
February 13 2012 22:53 GMT
#516
There are more fun and challenging games out there for casual players. The community is still awesome though.
ModeratorEffOrt, Snow, GuMiho, and Team Liquid
DaemonX
Profile Joined September 2010
545 Posts
February 13 2012 22:53 GMT
#517
I still ladder! That said...
On February 13 2012 23:08 Shockk wrote:
Shameless plug: Maybe it's not ladder anxiety or insufficient motivation causing dropping players numbers, but the general lack of social features and feeling of community in the game?

This.

If there was more attraction to being online perpetually in a community, my friends would log on more. Which means we would play team games more, have more interest in the game, be talking about starcraft and strategy, analysing eachothers replays together for laughs and coaching; in short, there would be NO WAY we all wouldn't ladder regularly.

The QQ about 'BM' and "all-ins" is just that, qq. BM when you're winning is just funny. BM when you're losing is just a chance to embaress someone if you turn the game around (if you're really that thin skinned, just block them as soon as game ends to avoid post-match abuse). All-ins are part of every good strategy game.

In fact I love all the all-ins. They make sure I KNOW my macro builds are 100% stable, and not just greed cheese that can beat other macro plays by abusing metagame knowledge.
Torpedo.Vegas
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States1890 Posts
February 13 2012 22:56 GMT
#518
There needs to be a way to preserve the high tier competitive play expected from a Starcraft game, while still being able to be new and feel like you are improving without it being wall after wall after wall. Like if you broke down game mechanics like they do in the training maps, and allow players to improve specific aspects of their play, and see the improvement. That reward system would keep people hooked.

Like you have a "x" marines, and are going to be attacked by "x" banelings. You need to split and keep as many alive while killing off the banes. Include custom settings and maybe a way to track progress, and something like that would be good enough. Players love to try to emulate pros they see, but cant because pro situations don't arise in lower tier play. These skills can then be translated to ladder later.
Talack
Profile Joined September 2010
Canada2742 Posts
February 13 2012 22:56 GMT
#519
I'm just starting to lose interest. I log on and play 2-3 games with the intention of finnaly getting #1 instead of hovering top 10 but after 2 or even 1 games I really lose all interest. The matchups are boring and stale and you ethier win through the exact same thing as always "i.e: zerg decided to drone too much...yeah real fun for me" or lose to the same bs as always "toss got 3 bases...this isnt fun at all". Although that may sound whiny it's 100% true for alot of people. The game just got too boring and the matchups are won/lost way too easy. There is rarely any sort of wounded-state into a comeback that's possible or anything exciting.

Game is just boring, alot of fun to watch but to play is really just... : /
CreatureSC2
Profile Joined July 2010
United States156 Posts
February 13 2012 22:56 GMT
#520
It's probably just that the casual players got bored of the game.
Prev 1 24 25 26 27 28 86 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Online Event
20:00
BamsPatch 1.0 Weekly #3
Liquipedia
CranKy Ducklings
19:00
Sea Duckling Open #150 (SHIN Mod Edition)
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 424
ProTech139
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 33116
Bisu 3109
Shuttle 1777
Hyuk 1310
EffOrt 771
Mini 691
Larva 360
Soma 290
firebathero 252
ZerO 246
[ Show more ]
Zeus 111
hero 94
Sexy 88
Last 81
Hyun 46
Mong 43
Killer 40
ToSsGirL 38
Pusan 35
Trap 32
PianO 31
Aegong 27
Bale 24
Hm[arnc] 23
sorry 21
zelot 15
Rock 13
ajuk12(nOOB) 10
Terrorterran 10
Sacsri 9
Noble 9
JulyZerg 8
Dota 2
Gorgc8122
qojqva1611
Dendi748
Counter-Strike
fl0m2577
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1310
crisheroes990
Liquid`Hasu573
Lowko441
Other Games
singsing2201
B2W.Neo1287
Beastyqt533
Livibee219
Hui .208
Liquid`VortiX149
KnowMe111
ArmadaUGS94
Mew2King80
elazer72
CosmosSc2 18
ZerO(Twitch)14
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream66
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 34
• Adnapsc2 8
• mYiSmile17
• poizon28 5
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 13
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 8409
• WagamamaTV234
League of Legends
• Jankos1875
Other Games
• Shiphtur45
Upcoming Events
FEL
1h 7m
AI Arena Tournament
2h 7m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4h 7m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
19h 7m
INu's Battles
21h 7m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 4h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 4h
Replay Cast
1d 9h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 19h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 20h
[ Show More ]
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.