• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:03
CEST 22:03
KST 05:03
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Recent patches and the Future StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026?
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
MLB/Baseball 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6719 users

Possible targets for the replicator - Page 38

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 36 37 38 39 40 Next All
Deleted User 183001
Profile Joined May 2011
2939 Posts
October 29 2011 03:48 GMT
#741
Infestors or Ghosts. Other than that, I just don't see it justifying its costs.
Kuja
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
United States1759 Posts
October 29 2011 03:59 GMT
#742
Seems like a useful unit thats ganna be fun to mess around with. It also seems that it will crush alot of early timing. I just hope this unit isnt so good your ganna be forced to go robo every game.
“Who's to say that my light is better than your darkness? Who's to say death is better than your darkness? Who am I to say?”
antsache
Profile Joined October 2011
United States12 Posts
October 29 2011 04:05 GMT
#743
On October 29 2011 12:40 Hattori_Hanzo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 29 2011 12:19 Achilles306 wrote:
Can you replicate hallucinations?


Why would you want to replicate a unit which does no damage and takes double damage?


They'll never see it coming.
Arisen
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States2382 Posts
October 29 2011 06:29 GMT
#744
On October 29 2011 12:05 Chicane wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 29 2011 11:14 Arisen wrote:
Replicate anything and everything. There is little chance in my mind that this unit makes it into the game. There's just no way. If the replicant makes it into the game, you just CAN'T win with tech versus protoss. You can't do cute shit with infestor ling (because herp derp, I have infestors too!), you can't win with ghosts (Because I have EMP too!), etc. It's just too powerful to be able to essentially pidgeonhole the Terran into going MMM and the zerg going hydraroach corrupter and just having more shit. Any time you bust out some tech to do anything, he's just going to have that same tech plus a better army.

The main targets of course will be
1)SCVs/Drones
2)Infestors/Ghosts
3)Vipers, swarmhost, ravens, banshees, seigetanks, etc


Did it ever cross your mind that there is a possibility it will make it into the game, but they would nerf it? I don't see how you can't possibly consider the option that they could do something like increase the price of the replicator so that it is only good in specific situations, otherwise you will just get outnumbered.

Yes, it crossed my mind, and the unit is still fucking retarded. Yes, this is a cool concept for single player, or we, but protoss is protoss. Protoss is not zerg, protoss is not terran. Protoss has weaknesses and strengths that make it protoss. I realize protoss is having trouble at the competitive level (although they certainly can/do compete), but putting a unit in that can completly circumvent your races weakness is STUPID. I can't all of a sudden decide that as zerg, I don't like that my units are cheap/fast but not as strong and suddenly shit 10 colossus onto the field, and I wouldn't want to.

This unit circumvents what makes starcraft great; 3 seperate, completely unique races.Can people not see how stupid it is to let you copy another unit from another race to compensate for the weaknesses of your race?

Not only is this unit a mess to balance, it's idea is fucking HORRIBLE. The people who say that this is an "interesting unit" are fucking lying to themselves or play protoss and just want it because it's going to be way good.
"If you're not angry, you're not paying attention"
Goldfish
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
2230 Posts
October 29 2011 07:45 GMT
#745
On October 29 2011 12:27 Denis Lachance wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 29 2011 12:23 Avan wrote:
I still believe the Replicator is a terrible idea.

First of all, it DOES NOT MAKE SENSE.

I've said this before and I'm going to say this again:

If I play PROTOSS, then I want PROTOSS UNITS.

If I wanted Terran or Zerg units, I WOULD PLAY TERRAN OR ZERG, FOR TASSADAR'S SAKE!

What is wrong with Blizzard? What's the point in giving a unit that COPIES other units instead of adding a NEW UNIT to the game? Do you guys realize that the Replicator is not a unit by itself? You guys realize how pointless and stupid, design-wise, is this unit?

I'm pretty pissed with this.



I wouldn't say I have a violent fervor against the replicant, but I do think it's dumb to have a unit entirely dedicated to copying other races' units...

Sure it provides interesting theory for gameplay but it does not fit the game.


Agreed. Bring back the Dark Archon with Mind Control and let's call it a day >.>.
https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsServerFeedback/feedback/details/741495/biggest-explorer-annoyance-automatic-sorting-windows-7-server-2008-r2-and-vista#details Allow Disable Auto Arrange in Windows 7+
cptKewk
Profile Joined August 2010
Sweden87 Posts
October 30 2011 16:40 GMT
#746
I've seen a post on getting an SCV to get the orbital for the mules but:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

If this has been answered, I'm sorry!
Science cannot move forward without heaps!
gulshngill
Profile Joined December 2010
Malaysia140 Posts
November 03 2011 05:07 GMT
#747
You can replicate an infestor in PvZ and leave it at your base with a high templar.
When mutas run in to harass, fungal the ball of mutas and storm it
and i hope blizz doesn't nerf it by making it unable to replicate workers.
Corsica
Profile Joined February 2011
Ukraine1854 Posts
November 03 2011 05:50 GMT
#748
I tottally agree with TT1 on this one Replicant is breaks the game...(not in imba way but in a way game works)
Whitewing
Profile Joined October 2010
United States7483 Posts
November 03 2011 05:54 GMT
#749
I suppose it might be useful in the mid-late game when you've got some extra gas, not enough minerals, and really want some fast immortals since the build time is so short.
Strategy"You know I fucking hate the way you play, right?" ~SC2John
Son of Gnome
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States777 Posts
November 03 2011 05:59 GMT
#750
I'm sorry but I have to ask this. Does anyone else see this unit as gamebreaking and ruining starcraft to an extent. Because I remember artosis mentioning that it maybe standard for toss to take a 3rd as a orbital or a hatchery. But wont that basically make protoss a combination of all the races, and take what makes each race so special and just throwing that away. I honestly hope that this unit does not make into the game because I really really feel that it will ruin the game.
Whatever happens, happens
Anarion55
Profile Joined October 2010
United States72 Posts
November 03 2011 06:02 GMT
#751
Things that make sense at a cost of 200/200

1. siege tank. For obvious reasons
2. chargelot/medivac
3. Infestor, Swarm host, raven, ghost
4. your own void rays (for super fast tech switch late game)
5. Your own high templar (for early psy storms or storm drops)
6. shredder in opponents mineral line
7. scv to make orbitals and get mules+scan
sometimes people stumble over the truth, but usually they pick themselves up and keep on going. -Churchill
Fugue
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Australia253 Posts
November 03 2011 06:03 GMT
#752
I think this is easier to balance than mind control. With mind control you're removing a unit from your opponent and adding to your own. With Replication you're banking a potential unit. It eats up supply and doesn't change your opponent's forces.

However, like a few people here, I'm fundamentally against the concept. I have never liked unit or structure capture abilities because they are either ridiculously imbalanced, or nerfed to the point of near uselessness. Neural Parasite has gone through numerous changes to get it where it is now, and I still think it's an iffy ability to be giving any unit. But, I can see the benefit to having niche abilities that really are pointless in a lot of circumstances, but useful in just a few.
sluggaslamoo
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
Australia4494 Posts
November 03 2011 06:06 GMT
#753
On October 29 2011 16:45 Goldfish wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 29 2011 12:27 Denis Lachance wrote:
On October 29 2011 12:23 Avan wrote:
I still believe the Replicator is a terrible idea.

First of all, it DOES NOT MAKE SENSE.

I've said this before and I'm going to say this again:

If I play PROTOSS, then I want PROTOSS UNITS.

If I wanted Terran or Zerg units, I WOULD PLAY TERRAN OR ZERG, FOR TASSADAR'S SAKE!

What is wrong with Blizzard? What's the point in giving a unit that COPIES other units instead of adding a NEW UNIT to the game? Do you guys realize that the Replicator is not a unit by itself? You guys realize how pointless and stupid, design-wise, is this unit?

I'm pretty pissed with this.



I wouldn't say I have a violent fervor against the replicant, but I do think it's dumb to have a unit entirely dedicated to copying other races' units...

Sure it provides interesting theory for gameplay but it does not fit the game.


Agreed. Bring back the Dark Archon with Mind Control and let's call it a day >.>.


Dark Archon also had maelstrom and feedback.
Come play Android Netrunner - http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=409008
HolyArrow
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States7116 Posts
November 03 2011 06:12 GMT
#754
On one hand, I feel like the Replicator would provide an interesting dynamic and open up some interesting strategies, but on the other hand, it just feels annoying, as others have already stated, that the new unit for Protoss ends up being a unit that can just become some Terran or Zerg unit. It feels incredibly lame and I was really looking forward to something completely original, not just some unit that can just let Protoss have Terran/Zerg units.
Deimos0
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
Poland277 Posts
November 03 2011 06:15 GMT
#755
I don't see how it is viable to replicate enemy worker and start building things from scratch (200/200 for replicator, 400 for CC + 150 rax and THEN OC). Most Protoss units worth replicating are massive (Colossus, Tempest), so we're left with either Immortal or HT. I agree though it is interesting to replicate a Medivac, Ghost, Infestor or Viper.
protect me from what I want
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
November 03 2011 06:16 GMT
#756
On October 29 2011 15:29 Arisen wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 29 2011 12:05 Chicane wrote:
On October 29 2011 11:14 Arisen wrote:
Replicate anything and everything. There is little chance in my mind that this unit makes it into the game. There's just no way. If the replicant makes it into the game, you just CAN'T win with tech versus protoss. You can't do cute shit with infestor ling (because herp derp, I have infestors too!), you can't win with ghosts (Because I have EMP too!), etc. It's just too powerful to be able to essentially pidgeonhole the Terran into going MMM and the zerg going hydraroach corrupter and just having more shit. Any time you bust out some tech to do anything, he's just going to have that same tech plus a better army.

The main targets of course will be
1)SCVs/Drones
2)Infestors/Ghosts
3)Vipers, swarmhost, ravens, banshees, seigetanks, etc


Did it ever cross your mind that there is a possibility it will make it into the game, but they would nerf it? I don't see how you can't possibly consider the option that they could do something like increase the price of the replicator so that it is only good in specific situations, otherwise you will just get outnumbered.

Yes, it crossed my mind, and the unit is still fucking retarded. Yes, this is a cool concept for single player, or we, but protoss is protoss. Protoss is not zerg, protoss is not terran. Protoss has weaknesses and strengths that make it protoss. I realize protoss is having trouble at the competitive level (although they certainly can/do compete), but putting a unit in that can completly circumvent your races weakness is STUPID. I can't all of a sudden decide that as zerg, I don't like that my units are cheap/fast but not as strong and suddenly shit 10 colossus onto the field, and I wouldn't want to.

This unit circumvents what makes starcraft great; 3 seperate, completely unique races.Can people not see how stupid it is to let you copy another unit from another race to compensate for the weaknesses of your race?

Not only is this unit a mess to balance, it's idea is fucking HORRIBLE. The people who say that this is an "interesting unit" are fucking lying to themselves or play protoss and just want it because it's going to be way good.


This is a unit that could provide us with tense and interesting games. I do agree that it is a bandaid fix to a deeper problem that toss is having right now, but It's certainly not the worst idea that Blizz could have come up with.

The thing about the replicator is that it is STILL PROTOSS. The theme of protoss is very expensive, but valuable/powerful units. Yes, a seige tank or infestor is going to have crazy synergy with protoss armies (storm, forcefield, etc) but the unit is also going to cost a crazy amount of minerals, gas and supply. Hell I could see this being almost as expensive as a capital ship if it makes it into the game. That is still protoss - spending a lot, to have the BEST.

It's also a very situational unit. You're never going to outnumber a terran's tanks, outside of rushes - so it becomes something to fight rushes with. You're never going to be able to sacrifice a unit as well as zerg can, so it becomes something that you need to protect even more than collossi/templar.
ssartor
Profile Joined February 2011
United States129 Posts
November 03 2011 06:43 GMT
#757
I see it as a way to tech switch on a dime. Just keep several replicators in your army and before you engage see what units they have and replicate based on that knowledge. i.e. see mass roaches replicate your single immortal with all your replicators and bam you have a bunch of immortals. This will also keep the enemy in the dark as to what tech path you will go.
"If you don't know, the thing to do is not to get scared, but to learn." — Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)
wei2coolman
Profile Joined November 2010
United States60033 Posts
November 03 2011 06:57 GMT
#758
I've already come up with a brilliant strategy in PvT. It's a 2 base FE into replicator. Replicate SCV, Go into a fast 3rd and 4th orbital. Use mules for mass gateway army of chargelot-archon.
liftlift > tsm
FlilFlam
Profile Joined October 2010
Canada109 Posts
November 03 2011 08:18 GMT
#759
What if you replicate a mule?

Will it die?

Would it be worth it to have a permanent mule for 200/200?

Also whether or not they can re-transform is of great relevance. if they can only morph once, it's a sad day for sc2 strategy, as i guess toss is to hopeless we have to copy the units of other races
vidi, vici, veni
TheBrofessor
Profile Joined November 2010
Canada429 Posts
November 03 2011 08:34 GMT
#760
Fungalstooooooorms.
Prev 1 36 37 38 39 40 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Monday Night Weeklies
16:00
#65
RotterdaM998
TaKeTV 328
TKL 286
IndyStarCraft 188
ZombieGrub104
BRAT_OK 92
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 998
TKL 286
IndyStarCraft 188
MaxPax 161
ZombieGrub104
BRAT_OK 92
JuggernautJason51
Nathanias 49
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 599
White-Ra 149
firebathero 78
910 44
Killer 25
Trap 22
yabsab 7
Counter-Strike
Fnx 782
Super Smash Bros
C9.Mang0176
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby10341
crisheroes1814
Liquid`Hasu1702
Trikslyr71
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi5490
summit1g5316
singsing1297
Beastyqt813
shahzam495
B2W.Neo323
ArmadaUGS131
KnowMe124
Pyrionflax82
UpATreeSC61
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream412
Other Games
BasetradeTV180
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• kabyraGe 205
• Reevou 3
• intothetv
• IndyKCrew
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Migwel
• Kozan
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 32
• Azhi_Dahaki17
• FirePhoenix9
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV133
League of Legends
• TFBlade864
Other Games
• imaqtpie639
• Shiphtur313
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
13h 58m
Afreeca Starleague
13h 58m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 3h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 14h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.