• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:14
CEST 19:14
KST 02:14
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War645.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament Rollback Netcode in Brood War TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 12423 users

The Korean Experience by FXOBoSs - Page 17

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 15 16 17 18 Next All
Zhalad
Profile Joined April 2011
Australia231 Posts
July 17 2011 08:24 GMT
#321
Yeah, I don't have much more to add.. I like to see the flame guns, but I wouldnt want people getting hurt either.. so just something for them to look into really. Just hope the answer isn't to get rid of them.

Not sure where abouts in Aus you are from BoSs, but the only thing I can really relate it to is our 'Territory Day' fire works up here in the NT, where every year a lot of people trying to ban them because of the accidents, caused by mis-use and fireworks that malfunction. Again, don't want to see it go.. but maybe more control on the quality of them.

Fine lines....
FlyingDJ
Profile Joined April 2008
Germany153 Posts
July 17 2011 09:53 GMT
#322
On July 17 2011 02:20 FXOpen wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 16 2011 22:49 FlyingDJ wrote:
On July 15 2011 15:41 FXOpen wrote:
Its definitely something that wouldnt happen in Australia or the united states. Or malaysia for that matter. I was impressed.


What? How long have you been in Malaysia? I have received countless gifts during my stay there. Malaysians are some of the most welcoming and friendly people I have come across.


I live in Malaysia.....


I am well aware, that's why I asked how long. I find it strange that you would not have experienced something like this when everyone I know who has lived there for a while, including me, has had this kind of thing happen to him, and why you would say that it "definitely wouldn't happen" there.
FXOpen
Profile Joined November 2010
Australia1844 Posts
July 17 2011 09:57 GMT
#323
FlyingDJ, i am not going to taint malaysia by telling stories Just its not the most friendly place in the universe :D
www.twitter.com/FXOpenESports
ForeverSleep
Profile Joined April 2011
Canada920 Posts
July 17 2011 10:00 GMT
#324
Great article!!!!! As I thought, you understand why sc gamers HAVE to go to korea in order to truly get better. I respect you for this, and I wish you good luck in the future!!!! GOGO FXO!!!!!
"Life is what happens to you while you’re busy making other plans" - John Lennon
TheAmazombie
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States3714 Posts
July 17 2011 10:05 GMT
#325
Awesome write-up. I like the insight a lot. Thanks Boss!
We think too much and feel too little. More than machinery, we need humanity. More than cleverness, we need kindness and gentleness. Without these qualities, life will be violent and all will be lost. -Charlie Chaplin
Dubpace
Profile Joined August 2010
United States251 Posts
July 17 2011 10:05 GMT
#326
The other culture you're referencing is definitely the japanese. I got the exact same vibe from their culture as you described in this article.

Nice write up.
ff7legend
Profile Blog Joined April 2007
United States213 Posts
July 17 2011 10:33 GMT
#327
Didnt read through all the the posts.. so not sure if this was asked or not. but could you detail what the practice regime there was?
I am the best ever... aka Truth, Judge, Legend
StarStruck
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
25339 Posts
July 17 2011 12:11 GMT
#328
wats0n,

The difference is originality. Something I pointed out before.

Chick was original and professional at the same time. You can be both.
Skogsbaret
Profile Joined February 2009
Sweden45 Posts
July 17 2011 13:17 GMT
#329
bad assumption about the milk.
Kage
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
India788 Posts
July 17 2011 14:03 GMT
#330
Such a good writeup FXOBoSs thanks for sharing. You should write more, I'd love to hear more about your practice regime as well!
starcraft2rush
Profile Joined February 2011
306 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-17 21:50:26
July 17 2011 21:49 GMT
#331
I would have to say your in a definite minority in not liking Tastosis. Sure not every single one of their jokes are spot on..but with hours and hours of casting who really is spot on EVERY SINGLE JOKE. I mean really nobody is. Aside from that if they mess a joke up they just diss each other for it and it turns funny anyway, I can relate to that because fumbles are a human trait and I for one am human .

Nick and Dan have excellent charisma and chemistry together, you can tell they are straightforward and honest with their casting. They are also knowledgeable about SC2 and have a deep background in competitive RTS's to draw experience from.

Simply put they are some of the most talented casters out there and they manage to pull it off w/out fake enthusiasm and that fact alone makes them rare.

I can understand with how poorly FXO is doing in the GSTL why you would get offended/defensive after their analysis of the games but to be quite frank I have never heard them give undeserved criticism of players.

You probably need to get some thicker skin if your going to be putting yourself out there in the public eye and on stream such as the GSL with the whole worldwide sc community watching. Because trying to take out your frustration on the what most would agree as the best SC2 casters(while hiding it behind some half-assed critique of them) is kind of ridiculous.
shell
Profile Joined October 2010
Portugal2722 Posts
July 18 2011 09:13 GMT
#332
I agree that sometimes Tastosis is too much jokes and less information but FXOboss also explaing that the korean casters are 3 guys and have better support from the production..

Tastosis many times doesn't know what's going on!

Hope you make shit happen boss!
BENFICA || Besties: idra, Stephano, Nestea, Jaedong, Serral, Jinro, Scarlett || Zerg <3
FXOpen
Profile Joined November 2010
Australia1844 Posts
July 18 2011 09:14 GMT
#333
Ouf, I give up guys... I didnt say i dont like tastosis at all.. I said 90% good 10% bad... I love tastosis as much as any fanboy out there.....
www.twitter.com/FXOpenESports
Barett
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada454 Posts
July 18 2011 10:21 GMT
#334
Amazing write up. Took me awhile but I took the time to read it all. It is very insightful. I have not been to any other country so hearing that they seemed gloomy is interesting. I only know Canada, but the majority of people are happy. Makes me really want to travel somewhere just to experience a different culture.

I like the ladder insight. I always thought to my self that I would be in Platinum (Diamond on NA) in Korea, but apparently I would be in Silver-Gold lol. Thanks for making me feel bad Boss! ;P

I could not agree more with the practice. I always disagreed with people saying that less then 8 hours is best. The more you put into something, the better you will be. This only is not true when it comes to exhaustion. Only after you become exhausted, anything negative happens. There is a reason in NA we work 8 hours a day. It's not enough to exhaust anyone, but enough time to get alot done. Why would the same not work for gaming? Just my opinion. I know when I played Team Fortress almost 8 hours a day, my skill never decreased. It did nothing but good for me.

I'm surprised honestly they still have the flame guns. I have not had the time to watch GOM for a couple months now (Need time to play), and I thought they would have gotten rid of them along time ago. They could just make it so players HAVE to walk around them. Long story short they really need to block it off.

I appraise you for being one of the first to even say anything bad about the Casting Archon, although you said they are great which we all agree with. Just like anything though, they can approve. They have awkward moments, and can be to casual at times. Overall I like them alot more then any other casters, but it would not hurt to be a little more professional.

Last it is cool to hear how intense the Code A really is. We all hear from players that it is hard, and not always the best players get through (DRG, oGsSTC etc.), but you showed how hard it really is. The emotions is interesting. We like to cast Koreans as emotionless (for the most part). Sucks to hear that Code A is so hard. It could really use a change.

This is by far the longest post I have ever made on TL. I thank you for writing this Boss. It was very interesting throughout, and made me want to talk about it my self. I hope someone sees some value out of what I write. Thanks for reading.



Gym, Video Games, Laundry.
Nayl
Profile Joined March 2010
Canada413 Posts
July 18 2011 11:46 GMT
#335
I think most of the issues people have with english casting is the fact that they seem to be winging it 90% of the time. Now I've grown used to tastosis so I can appreciate their antics but many of my friends who don't play Starcraft do not understand them.

I may be way off but it seems to me that vast majority of english casters just show up to an event and talk about anything in order to fill up the gaps between games. This is when all the "bad jokes" happen and I agree with FXOBoss. Korean casters are often much more prepared to talk about a map, possible strategies and the players in between the gap and during the game itself.

Rococo
Profile Joined May 2011
United States331 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-18 11:47:26
July 18 2011 11:47 GMT
#336
Can't believe I put off reading this. Well written, and I agree completely about the GSL English casting, especially the bit about adding a third caster to the teams.
DamianDante
Profile Joined March 2011
Sweden8 Posts
July 18 2011 12:43 GMT
#337

Thirdly English casting.
Although 90% of the time the english cast is done well, there are a bunch of things that need to change. The cast needs to be more scheduled and less random. The crappy jokes need to stop (not the good ones, just the crappy ones). Heres a pointer, if you are laughing mid joke at your own joke, its probably not funny. It also needs to bring more insight into the game, more facts more figures and probably a 3rd person.

The korean casters. The most prepared, professional, amazing casters out there. They don't talk crap on stream, they talk serious starcraft sport. They are what e-sport should represent, even if they do silly video introductions to players They talk about a players play, they are ex progamers, so they know their shit. I think eventually the western e-sports scene will get english commentators of similar charisma, when the scene starts to get a little older. Kudos to Gisado and the gang.


Thank you! its hard for me to get my voice heard but thank you Boss for speaking your mind.. and whats on my mind! Too many random casters making it to the big scene even though they don't know sh-t about the game. NO! look at the other big sports, copy that recipe god damit, one caster and one expert, at least!
I really enjoyd hearing progamers casting the games at Homestory Cup 3.
Krehlmar
Profile Joined August 2010
Sweden1149 Posts
July 18 2011 14:05 GMT
#338
Agree on the Code A casting, QXC is way to "cool" acting which results with Wolf doing his very best to try and be as "cool", resorting in so much shit talk that I (having the vods alt+tab'd because I have them in the background) have no idea what the hell was going on, and when the brackets came they ignored it and continued their boring stories.

As BoSs said; It's ok to joke around and whatnot but having close to 100% internal jokes or "internet" humour will turn away 90% of the potential crowd. I appritiate some shit talking, it's awesome, but it was mostly shit talk when QXC and Wolf was on.
My Comment Doesnt Matter Because No One Reads It
k!llua
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Australia895 Posts
July 18 2011 14:34 GMT
#339
On July 15 2011 15:41 FXOpen wrote:
However Korea is a very unique place. The people all look somewhat depressed, however when you try to talk to them, they greet you with one of the largest smiles I have ever seen. Theres alot of public drunkeness on any single night and it seems like there is some sort of hidden pain in the country.


North Korea, perhaps?
my hair is a wookie, your argument is invalid
HitMonkie
Profile Joined June 2011
Australia518 Posts
July 18 2011 14:35 GMT
#340
On July 18 2011 23:34 k!llua wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 15 2011 15:41 FXOpen wrote:
However Korea is a very unique place. The people all look somewhat depressed, however when you try to talk to them, they greet you with one of the largest smiles I have ever seen. Theres alot of public drunkeness on any single night and it seems like there is some sort of hidden pain in the country.


North Korea, perhaps?


lmao
Prev 1 15 16 17 18 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Patches Events
00:00
Patch Clash S1 Special #1
RotterdaM923
TKL 347
IndyStarCraft 244
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 923
ByuN 409
TKL 347
IndyStarCraft 244
BRAT_OK 48
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 46773
Calm 3091
firebathero 161
actioN 139
Free 43
Mong 30
Rock 28
ToSsGirL 28
Pusan 20
Aegong 17
[ Show more ]
soO 17
scan(afreeca) 14
Terrorterran 14
Sacsri 8
Dota 2
Gorgc9492
Dendi1155
League of Legends
Reynor220
Counter-Strike
fl0m5197
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King88
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu215
Grubby192
MindelVK9
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi1723
FrodaN1002
Beastyqt695
B2W.Neo689
olofmeister555
Mlord463
Khaldor448
KnowMe294
crisheroes178
Livibee122
ToD26
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick215
BasetradeTV86
[ Show 19 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hinosc 25
• Adnapsc2 10
• Reevou 8
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Airneanach70
• Azhi_Dahaki20
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV559
League of Legends
• Nemesis3227
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 1442
Other Games
• Shiphtur702
• imaqtpie155
Upcoming Events
BSL Open Qualifier
1h 46m
BSL Open Qualifier
1h 46m
OSC
5h 46m
Replay Cast
5h 46m
OSC
18h 46m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 17h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.