• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:10
CEST 21:10
KST 04:10
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)48Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9001 users

TeamLiquid Heart of the Swarm Preview - Page 17

Forum Index > SC2 General
1222 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 15 16 17 18 19 62 Next
DwmC_Foefen
Profile Blog Joined March 2007
Belgium2186 Posts
May 31 2011 10:42 GMT
#321
I don't quite know how to feel about that Marketplace-thingie...
There will probably be a few gems but I think most of the maps are going to be sucky and pricy.

Also, App-store kinda sucks and everyone I know that has an Apple-product has jail-broken it :p
brendaaan
Profile Joined February 2011
New Zealand77 Posts
May 31 2011 10:42 GMT
#322
sounds amazing!!! thanks a million TL for the write up!!!!
Rubrix cube record: 36 seconds :D
Rorra
Profile Joined September 2010
Australia1066 Posts
May 31 2011 10:44 GMT
#323
interesting, i wish there was more info on the multiplayer. WE MUST HAVE LURKERS!
Zelniq
Profile Blog Joined August 2005
United States7166 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-31 10:46:18
May 31 2011 10:44 GMT
#324
On May 31 2011 19:21 NicolBolas wrote:
Show nested quote +
if WoL was geared towards us hardcore players...man I can hardly imagine what HotS will be like.


They were saying that WoL was promoted towards hardcore players. The design goals haven't changed with HotS; the marketing of the game has.

I really hope you're right about this, I didn't get that the first time reading the Q&A, but I can see it.

On May 31 2011 19:21 NicolBolas wrote:
Show nested quote +
I really hope they work on improving/changing/reworking existing units as much as the creating new ones, although they've made no mention of doing so.


Well, except for the part where Browder pretty much said that the Overseer was pretty close to getting the hatchet if not already out of the game.

yeah there is that, i address it in an edit but I still doubt they're thinking the same things I am. They've mentioned the overseer and reaper... units they think aren't being used enough. That's good and all but I'd also like to see changes made to units that are being used. Like for example improvements to say give the player more opportunities to micro units (especially in cases where micro can help deal with an opponent who has a 'hard counter' to the unit. such as hydralisk vs colossus, i really want them to add some way to make hydras at least somewhat viable vs colossus provided the zerg player controls them well or something to that extent. though even moreso do I want the hydralisk to be redesigned, as I explained in my earlier post)
ModeratorBlame yourself or God
konadora *
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Singapore66365 Posts
May 31 2011 10:47 GMT
#325
TL gets its own preview, sickkkkkkkkkk

can't wait for campaign ^_^
POGGERS
Walls
Profile Joined May 2011
United States172 Posts
May 31 2011 10:47 GMT
#326
This is so amazing, thank you so much.
SlayerS_Eve's third fan, in the time of hatred... very very proud of that.
Voldron
Profile Joined February 2011
Greece91 Posts
May 31 2011 10:49 GMT
#327
Kerrigans ass is like... damn. I can see now why Raynor has a crush on her.
Bagi
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany6799 Posts
May 31 2011 10:49 GMT
#328
Great article, but I really hoped for some multiplayer coverage.

But I guess this was expected.
StayPhrosty
Profile Joined August 2009
Canada406 Posts
May 31 2011 10:50 GMT
#329
new units for multiplayer! YESSSSSS!!!! a little disappointed by the answers about lan, mapmaking, and water mechanics though.
To be is to do-Socrates To do is to be-Sartre Do Be Do Be Do-Sinatra
busbarn
Profile Joined August 2010
Sweden984 Posts
May 31 2011 10:52 GMT
#330
only 20 missions?

I played both sc1 and BW singleplayers and in my opinion WoL sp > sc1/bw sp. I'm very excited to play the HoTS sp!
Caphe
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
Vietnam10817 Posts
May 31 2011 10:53 GMT
#331
On May 31 2011 19:12 Zelniq wrote:
"For HotS, we would like to emphasize the single player experience, to try to get the fact out there that it's not just for the hardcore gamers. For WoL, we emphasized the multiplayer so much that we almost feel like it got labeled as a game only for the hardcore players."

if WoL was geared towards us hardcore players...man I can hardly imagine what HotS will be like. Because it certainly was not geared toward hardcore BW fans who loved the game for all the subtleties that made it amazingly good... the subtleties that apparently the devs did not understand themselves, or at least failed to see how significant they were to BW's success as the best multiplayer game ever made.
My low expectations of HotS weren't low enough apparently as I did not realize they'd be catering more to the casual gamer, and focusing the majority of their efforts on Singleplayer. There's still time for things to change though, I'll just have to wait and see what they cook up for the multiplayer. I really hope they work on improving/changing/reworking existing units as much as the creating new ones, although they've made no mention of doing so. Really I'd just be so much happier already if they removed unit clumping, and made it more like BW where armies would bump into each other and be fairly scattered around rather than moving as a collective blob

at the very least, there was this one thing:


"For example, the Overseer is not a cool unit, it's basically a glorfied scout at this point. We're looking at either taking out or replacing these units that aren't as cool. The other thing that we need to watch out is how these units interact in combination."

I suppose that's a typical Blizzard way of thinking and was to be expected, but nevertheless it's great news. However I don't think a lot of the units that I think aren't as cool don't fit with Blizzard's ideas. Basically most zerg units I feel are pretty uninspired/bland, or some have extremely limited/situational uses.

+ Show Spoiler [more SC2 ranting] +

Ultralisk/hydralisks I'm most concerned about, though I've issues with the boring design/lack of micro options that BW had with most of the other units as well. I really dislike the current design of the hydralisk, high cost but low hp and slow move make for just a terrible combination, it's not fun to use, you can't really micro due to their slow move, fast attack speed, and fast death.

In BW you could actually make a lot of use from microing hydras...dodging storms, getting good positionings/spreading quickly, flanking, pulling hurt units to the back. And they were cheap and expendable and weren't so incredibly hard countered by any units. In BW, storm was the strong 'counter' to hydras except that good micro could greatly lessen the effect...colossi don't care how you try to micro them, they always melt them regardless.

Ultras have similar problems, they are easily hard countered and their extremely high cost turned suddenly useless by some immortals. They need to steer away from units that suddenly become useless because your opponent was able to get X. I like however the ultralisk in zvz currently..it's vary frightening and there's no really strong/easy answer to them, which is how the ultimate expensive unit should feel...well provided the game gets to that stage which is rare.

damn this is just the tip of the iceberg, i could write a book on my issues with sc2..but that's for another thread. I really do hope Blizzard agrees with at least some of these things

I dont want to derail the thread but as a long time BW player. I have to agree with most of thing you said here esp some units uses in WoL.
I don't know where Blizzard got this hard-counter idea from. It really take away alot of fun out of the game.

For the HoTS is not focusing on hardcore fans, I think Blizzard means, in WoL which is a game 9 years after the original SC, they want to test what is the most important aspect which is multiplayer. With HoTS, they already establish SC2 multiplayer with WoL so they will just try to fix/change it, not actually build it from the scratch.

I don't think Blizzard wants to abandon hardcore multiplayer for single play. Since its the multiplayer that make SC/SC2 what it is now.
Terran
doerit
Profile Joined September 2010
Germany234 Posts
May 31 2011 10:54 GMT
#332
Boner alert!

This looks amazing, thank you very much for the write up. I cannot wait for HotS, this looks a lot better than WoL already.
bobhund
Profile Joined March 2010
Sweden364 Posts
May 31 2011 10:57 GMT
#333
God I want blizzcon to be tomorrow.
Editor in chief at Rakaka.se
WArped
Profile Joined December 2010
United Kingdom4845 Posts
May 31 2011 10:57 GMT
#334
Looks good so far, can't wait to hear about the new multi-player units. Great write-up!
archonOOid
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
1983 Posts
May 31 2011 10:58 GMT
#335
There was a unit that jumped from a cliff, in the game play video, what's up with that? Information?
I'm Quotable (IQ)
KobraKay
Profile Joined March 2010
Portugal4388 Posts
May 31 2011 11:00 GMT
#336
Really nice video and SSs and coverage...thanks TL! I liked almost everything they showed so I can only assume this is going to be amazing !

Now that I've seen this I want to play HotS ahh...the long waiting period begins...we're not even in the blizzard soon time right?

Oh well guess I need to find something to distratc me from this or just try to forget about it for a few months TT.
CJ Fighting! (--.--)
Existor
Profile Joined July 2010
Russian Federation4295 Posts
May 31 2011 11:00 GMT
#337
There was a unit that jumped from a cliff, in the game play video, what's up with that? Information?

Yeti, neutral and agressive animal, when you kill all their matriarches, you will have more points to upgrade kerrigan
Vernom
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Spain374 Posts
May 31 2011 11:01 GMT
#338
On May 31 2011 19:58 archonOOid wrote:
There was a unit that jumped from a cliff, in the game play video, what's up with that? Information?

Maybe a critter.
Slaytilost
Profile Joined October 2010
Netherlands968 Posts
May 31 2011 11:01 GMT
#339
On May 31 2011 19:58 archonOOid wrote:
There was a unit that jumped from a cliff, in the game play video, what's up with that? Information?

I guess thats an upgraded zergling
BeastofManju
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States79 Posts
May 31 2011 11:01 GMT
#340
THIS is awsome I CANNONT wait omg i really have to clean my pants now lol.
The raven nevermore.
Prev 1 15 16 17 18 19 62 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 4h 50m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 675
UpATreeSC 131
JuggernautJason37
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 18421
firebathero 173
Rush 124
Dewaltoss 111
Sexy 28
Bale 13
yabsab 12
Dota 2
Gorgc8170
qojqva1425
monkeys_forever124
Counter-Strike
fl0m1561
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1847
crisheroes1137
Liquid`Hasu761
XaKoH 174
MindelVK14
Other Games
Grubby3227
summit1g3100
FrodaN781
Beastyqt668
ceh9558
shahzam224
ArmadaUGS199
byalli195
KnowMe161
C9.Mang0155
Mew2King65
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV181
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream79
StarCraft 2
angryscii 5
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 10
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 35
• FirePhoenix6
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• Nemesis1622
League of Legends
• TFBlade1050
Other Games
• imaqtpie866
• WagamamaTV250
• Shiphtur250
Upcoming Events
OSC
4h 50m
Stellar Fest
17h 50m
OSC
1d 2h
CranKy Ducklings
1d 14h
Online Event
1d 15h
FEL
1d 20h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 21h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 23h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.