• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 17:10
CEST 23:10
KST 06:10
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War565.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Fantasy returning? TL Sidebar missing streams Rollback Netcode in Brood War
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8169 users

Casting Language Standards - Page 9

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 7 8 9 10 11 34 Next All
Longshank
Profile Joined March 2010
1648 Posts
May 24 2011 18:14 GMT
#161
On May 25 2011 03:07 multrak wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 25 2011 03:04 warsinger wrote:
On May 25 2011 02:44 mordek wrote:
I think the OP and a lot of others are quite pleased with how major tournaments are keeping things PG but I believe what he's asking for is a label so he can rest easy watching it with kids. If there's a mature label posted up front, he knows he should probably steer clear, otherwise with PG label he can have the whole family watch it.


This is precisely my desire. Thanks


There is a mature label posted up front. It's on the outside of the box.


No there's a T label and there's no need to be an ass about it.
Jarky
Profile Joined March 2011
Sweden26 Posts
May 24 2011 18:14 GMT
#162
I totally agree with you. The whole e-Sport scene is laking professionalism in many fields. The commentators of the big leagues and tournaments should strive after becoming role models for the kids watching. One person i feel truly understands this and deserves credit for it is iNcontroL. He does alot for the community and also trying to make e-Sports more professional.

A persons maturity can be reflected in his use of language. That's atleast something I've learned from meeting other people. And if we want e-Sports to grow we should present the scene more maturely. At the same time I like the chill attitude and the using of jokes during the commentating. So it's not like we have to choose one or the other. We can have both.
Mailing
Profile Joined March 2011
United States3087 Posts
May 24 2011 18:15 GMT
#163
On May 25 2011 03:12 Firesilver wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 25 2011 03:07 multrak wrote:
On May 25 2011 03:04 warsinger wrote:
On May 25 2011 02:44 mordek wrote:
I think the OP and a lot of others are quite pleased with how major tournaments are keeping things PG but I believe what he's asking for is a label so he can rest easy watching it with kids. If there's a mature label posted up front, he knows he should probably steer clear, otherwise with PG label he can have the whole family watch it.


This is precisely my desire. Thanks


There is a mature label posted up front. It's on the outside of the box.


But that's to play the game. Not to watch it, By that logic if Football could only be played 18+ then you'd be saying people can't watch who are under 18 for example. I can't see any harm in a special symbol showing if the show is going to contain alot of cussing or anything for that matter. It's not hard to do and just helps people choosing what to watch.


So it's ok for kids to watch others having sex since they are not doing it themselves :3
Are you hurting ESPORTS? Find out today - http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=232866
Firesilver
Profile Joined December 2010
United Kingdom1190 Posts
May 24 2011 18:18 GMT
#164
On May 25 2011 03:15 Mailing wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 25 2011 03:12 Firesilver wrote:
On May 25 2011 03:07 multrak wrote:
On May 25 2011 03:04 warsinger wrote:
On May 25 2011 02:44 mordek wrote:
I think the OP and a lot of others are quite pleased with how major tournaments are keeping things PG but I believe what he's asking for is a label so he can rest easy watching it with kids. If there's a mature label posted up front, he knows he should probably steer clear, otherwise with PG label he can have the whole family watch it.


This is precisely my desire. Thanks


There is a mature label posted up front. It's on the outside of the box.


But that's to play the game. Not to watch it, By that logic if Football could only be played 18+ then you'd be saying people can't watch who are under 18 for example. I can't see any harm in a special symbol showing if the show is going to contain alot of cussing or anything for that matter. It's not hard to do and just helps people choosing what to watch.


So it's ok for kids to watch others having sex since they are not doing it themselves :3


I wish you could've posted a serious reply, That's obviously a different matter and not related what so ever.

However as someone posted above me; This would also be a good thing for showing friends/family about Starcraft/eSports and would be great to be involving more people in it.
Caster at IMBA.tv -- www.twitter.com/IMBAFiresilver -- www.youtube.com/FiresilverTV
multrak
Profile Joined May 2011
Canada5 Posts
May 24 2011 18:18 GMT
#165
On May 25 2011 03:12 Firesilver wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 25 2011 03:07 multrak wrote:
On May 25 2011 03:04 warsinger wrote:
On May 25 2011 02:44 mordek wrote:
I think the OP and a lot of others are quite pleased with how major tournaments are keeping things PG but I believe what he's asking for is a label so he can rest easy watching it with kids. If there's a mature label posted up front, he knows he should probably steer clear, otherwise with PG label he can have the whole family watch it.


This is precisely my desire. Thanks


There is a mature label posted up front. It's on the outside of the box.


But that's to play the game. Not to watch it, By that logic if Football could only be played 18+ then you'd be saying people can't watch who are under 18 for example. I can't see any harm in a special symbol showing if the show is going to contain alot of cussing or anything for that matter. It's not hard to do and just helps people choosing what to watch.


If you go into the situation knowing the content being reviewed/watched is mature, you should expect mature content?

Amazing.
Soma.bokforlag
Profile Joined February 2011
Sweden448 Posts
May 24 2011 18:19 GMT
#166
does some far right christian boys still dont know all these words by age 8 in america? thats strange.. do they know theres an act called love making or do you not get to know about these things until after marriage?
Firesilver
Profile Joined December 2010
United Kingdom1190 Posts
May 24 2011 18:21 GMT
#167
On May 25 2011 03:18 multrak wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 25 2011 03:12 Firesilver wrote:
On May 25 2011 03:07 multrak wrote:
On May 25 2011 03:04 warsinger wrote:
On May 25 2011 02:44 mordek wrote:
I think the OP and a lot of others are quite pleased with how major tournaments are keeping things PG but I believe what he's asking for is a label so he can rest easy watching it with kids. If there's a mature label posted up front, he knows he should probably steer clear, otherwise with PG label he can have the whole family watch it.


This is precisely my desire. Thanks


There is a mature label posted up front. It's on the outside of the box.


But that's to play the game. Not to watch it, By that logic if Football could only be played 18+ then you'd be saying people can't watch who are under 18 for example. I can't see any harm in a special symbol showing if the show is going to contain alot of cussing or anything for that matter. It's not hard to do and just helps people choosing what to watch.


If you go into the situation knowing the content being reviewed/watched is mature, you should expect mature content?

Amazing.


As someone else stated, It's a T label actually. But you're saying the content is "mature" and yet there is no complaint about that, The OP is saying about the actual casting/commentating being Mature and no warning when going to watch it. He's not saying anything about the game's ESRB rating at all.
Caster at IMBA.tv -- www.twitter.com/IMBAFiresilver -- www.youtube.com/FiresilverTV
Vipsanius
Profile Joined February 2011
Netherlands708 Posts
May 24 2011 18:23 GMT
#168
Stop derailing the thread already. The OP asked is a "Rating" system for streams.

I think that solution is too good. Streamers could write in their stream description: "I use mature language" or "I refrain from profane language" and the problem is solved. If a streamer does not write that, watch at your own peril.
KDot2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States1213 Posts
May 24 2011 18:23 GMT
#169
On May 25 2011 03:19 Soma.bokforlag wrote:
does some far right christian boys still dont know all these words by age 8 in america? thats strange.. do they know theres an act called love making or do you not get to know about these things until after marriage?



they do know all of them... but for some reasons parents here choose the least important things to worry about when parenting


but please know that not all of US citizens are like this
multrak
Profile Joined May 2011
Canada5 Posts
May 24 2011 18:25 GMT
#170
On May 25 2011 03:21 Firesilver wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 25 2011 03:18 multrak wrote:
On May 25 2011 03:12 Firesilver wrote:
On May 25 2011 03:07 multrak wrote:
On May 25 2011 03:04 warsinger wrote:
On May 25 2011 02:44 mordek wrote:
I think the OP and a lot of others are quite pleased with how major tournaments are keeping things PG but I believe what he's asking for is a label so he can rest easy watching it with kids. If there's a mature label posted up front, he knows he should probably steer clear, otherwise with PG label he can have the whole family watch it.


This is precisely my desire. Thanks


There is a mature label posted up front. It's on the outside of the box.


But that's to play the game. Not to watch it, By that logic if Football could only be played 18+ then you'd be saying people can't watch who are under 18 for example. I can't see any harm in a special symbol showing if the show is going to contain alot of cussing or anything for that matter. It's not hard to do and just helps people choosing what to watch.


If you go into the situation knowing the content being reviewed/watched is mature, you should expect mature content?

Amazing.


As someone else stated, It's a T label actually. But you're saying the content is "mature" and yet there is no complaint about that, The OP is saying about the actual casting/commentating being Mature and no warning when going to watch it. He's not saying anything about the game's ESRB rating at all.


Fine, it's Teen. Doesn't change much considering the situation.

Perhaps I'll start a dildo review blog but ensure that I keep the language civil. After all, I don't want to offend any father's that may be reviewing the content with their small children.
JayJay_90
Profile Joined October 2010
Germany1632 Posts
May 24 2011 18:27 GMT
#171
On May 25 2011 03:25 multrak wrote:
Fine, it's Teen. Doesn't change much considering the situation.

Perhaps I'll start a dildo review blog but ensure that I keep the language civil. After all, I don't want to offend any father's that may be reviewing the content with their small children.


you just made my day :D
Craze
Profile Joined July 2010
United States561 Posts
May 24 2011 18:27 GMT
#172
Seems like everyone in this thread wants to give this guy parenting advice rather than respond to his question. Seems to me that if SC2 casting wants to appeal to a broader audience then 16-25 year old "men" it should maintain a professional manner. The Korean casters have always impressed me with their attire and demeanor on-screen.
Offhand
Profile Joined June 2010
United States1869 Posts
May 24 2011 18:27 GMT
#173
People swear on the internet. If your seriously afraid to "expose" your kids to such language then you should keep them away from computers (and schools, and other people, and most TV).The internet being uncensored is way more important than everything being G-rated and kid safe. Honestly, I worry for your kids if they're incapable of understanding what inappropriate language is.

On May 25 2011 03:21 Firesilver wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 25 2011 03:18 multrak wrote:
On May 25 2011 03:12 Firesilver wrote:
On May 25 2011 03:07 multrak wrote:
On May 25 2011 03:04 warsinger wrote:
On May 25 2011 02:44 mordek wrote:
I think the OP and a lot of others are quite pleased with how major tournaments are keeping things PG but I believe what he's asking for is a label so he can rest easy watching it with kids. If there's a mature label posted up front, he knows he should probably steer clear, otherwise with PG label he can have the whole family watch it.


This is precisely my desire. Thanks


There is a mature label posted up front. It's on the outside of the box.


But that's to play the game. Not to watch it, By that logic if Football could only be played 18+ then you'd be saying people can't watch who are under 18 for example. I can't see any harm in a special symbol showing if the show is going to contain alot of cussing or anything for that matter. It's not hard to do and just helps people choosing what to watch.


If you go into the situation knowing the content being reviewed/watched is mature, you should expect mature content?

Amazing.


As someone else stated, It's a T label actually. But you're saying the content is "mature" and yet there is no complaint about that, The OP is saying about the actual casting/commentating being Mature and no warning when going to watch it. He's not saying anything about the game's ESRB rating at all.


Starcraft 2 has a T rating. By all means play the campaign if you want to experience that T rating. Blizzard isn't responsible for what people say online. Tournaments and casted events have absolutely nothing to do with a game's age rating.
TotalBiscuit
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United Kingdom5437 Posts
May 24 2011 18:28 GMT
#174
On May 25 2011 03:25 multrak wrote:
Fine, it's Teen. Doesn't change much considering the situation.

Perhaps I'll start a dildo review blog but ensure that I keep the language civil. After all, I don't want to offend any father's that may be reviewing the content with their small children.


Somehow I don't think maturity is something you're qualified to discuss.

On the subject of the, well subject. Swearing while as far as I'm concerned, irrelevant, doesn't add anything to a broadcast and usuall indicates a lack of diverse vocabulary on the part of the person using it. It doesn't have any place in broadcast sports, e or otherwise.
CommentatorHost of SHOUTcraft Clan Wars- http://www.mlg.tv/shoutcraft
Longshank
Profile Joined March 2010
1648 Posts
May 24 2011 18:29 GMT
#175
On May 25 2011 03:04 warsinger wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 25 2011 02:44 mordek wrote:
I think the OP and a lot of others are quite pleased with how major tournaments are keeping things PG but I believe what he's asking for is a label so he can rest easy watching it with kids. If there's a mature label posted up front, he knows he should probably steer clear, otherwise with PG label he can have the whole family watch it.


This is precisely my desire. Thanks


To be realistic about it, it would certainly be a possibility for NASL and MLG but I don't see how you can expect TLO and 2gd casting a Swedish event to adhere to and follow some american labeling system. Sweden and Swedish organisations(used as an example since it's the culture I know) will never allow any form of cencorship, ever. You can't force them to label their stream inappropriate for kids since they don't believe it is.
Vardant
Profile Joined November 2010
Czech Republic620 Posts
May 24 2011 18:30 GMT
#176
On May 25 2011 03:27 Offhand wrote:
Tournaments and casted events have absolutely nothing to do with a game's age rating.

That's where you're wrong. The violence is still there.
Treemonkeys
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States2082 Posts
May 24 2011 18:31 GMT
#177
I don't even have kids and I can't stand the sexual jokes, to me they are unfunny and immature, I would have maybe liked them 5-10 years ago that's just the way things go. Just another reason I don't enjoy NASL as much as GSL.

Also since some people are bringing it up as if it's some extreme: GSL already censors out the blood in their casts.

I would prefer tournaments to be more or less PG, I think GSL has the occasional use of the word "damn" and that's about it.
http://shroomspiration.blogspot.com/
Vardant
Profile Joined November 2010
Czech Republic620 Posts
May 24 2011 18:32 GMT
#178
Artosis said retarded at least once and it was hilarious. Jinro said fuck multiple times IIRC.
Zarahtra
Profile Joined May 2010
Iceland4053 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-24 18:37:14
May 24 2011 18:33 GMT
#179
While I think you bring a very interesting point, that is very worthy of all the pages it has gotten, I agree with this:

On May 25 2011 01:16 Demonace34 wrote:
Gretorp's sexual language should only be picked up by an adult minds filter of what is inappropriate. I doubt that at 12 or 8 years old I would of deciphered or did anything other than giggle when Gretorp keeps these sexual innuendos going.

I mean I'm all the time watching old movies/tv shows I watched when I was younger, and discovering a big difference in experience, where I missed or just didn't understand all these jokes that were a bit cryptic(and sometimes even not so cryptic). This has mostly to do with sexual jokes.

Violent stuff("x just got raped" etc) is however a different story, which I think commentators of big tournies should refrain from using(tbh I don't recall them using those kind of lines anyway), and I doubt it would make the viewing experience any worse for the rest of the viewers.

For streams... Well I mean it might be a good idea, but for the most part I think you'll just see everyone tagging themselves with "I use mature language", better than being "PG language" and getting all hell loose on them when they swear after loosing to an allin.
Fission
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Canada1184 Posts
May 24 2011 18:37 GMT
#180


I 100% agree. There's no reason why casters need to make crude, offensive, or vulgar jokes either - it doesn't add anything to the cast. Tastosis manages to be funny without resorting to that, I don't see why casters for large tournaments like NASL/IPL/GSL etc need to use that kind of language. Nobody (except for the parents) would even notice if they just used clean language, so why not do it?

At the very least I would hope that some kind of rating system could be implemented. I find the hypocrisy in this thread a bit sickening, to be honest. On one hand, so many people on this forum are waving the "esports" flag around at every possible opportunity, doing their best to make "esports" big in the west, but when somebody comes around making a very minor and reasonable request (rating system) you all jump all over him. He didn't come here asking for parenting advice, that's his business. Your opinion of whether or not a 10 year old should hear crude sexual jokes and swearing is completely irrelevant, in fact. The fact is that the language IS a barrier of entry for some people, and that we might consider doing something about that.
Prev 1 7 8 9 10 11 34 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL: Ladder Tournament
04:00
#3 - $100
ZZZero.O148
LiquipediaDiscussion
AI Arena Tournament
02:00
Swiss - Round 5
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Leta 566
ZZZero.O 148
soO 53
Hyun 53
Dota 2
qojqva2308
monkeys_forever10
League of Legends
Doublelift2337
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4800
Liquid`Hasu633
Other Games
summit1g6143
FrodaN1600
KnowMe352
Pyrionflax215
420jenkins184
Livibee182
QueenE98
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick711
StarCraft 2
angryscii 35
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 77
• Adnapsc2 20
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 45
• FirePhoenix6
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie992
• Shiphtur620
• Scarra449
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
12h 50m
Patches Events
17h 50m
BSL Open Qualifier
21h 50m
BSL Open Qualifier
21h 50m
OSC
1d 1h
OSC
1d 14h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.