• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:28
CEST 02:28
KST 09:28
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)22Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9532 users

[D] What SC2 is missing? - Page 36

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 34 35 36 37 38 70 Next
gozima
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada602 Posts
April 17 2011 04:18 GMT
#701
I agree that SC2 is a little too dumbed down, especially compared to BW, but will any of your suggestions to "improve" SC2 make the game more interesting to watch for the tens of thousands of casuals that tune into the TSL, MLG, GSL, Dreamhack etc? I doubt it.

Sure, for the hardcore, adding more depth to SC2 will probably increase our enjoyment of watching it, but for the Western E-Sports scene to reach out to the mainstream, it will have little to no effect imo.

Casuals like big 200 v 200 food battles with lots of explosions and lasers, they don't care about all the intricacies that go into why someone did this or that. Just look at the Dreamhack hate thread towards MC.

The same applies to most casual sports fans. They mostly only care to see a huge dunk, a big open ice hit, a hail mary etc. If I were to explain to my gf the reason why MC decided to do what he did at Dreamhack, she could care less.
Dhalphir
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Australia1305 Posts
April 17 2011 04:22 GMT
#702
This thread makes me want to ditch SC2 for good and learn to play BW properly the way I never did years ago and the way I have learned to play SC2 properly.

But then I remember just how brutal the UI is.

It really is a love/hate relationship with that UI. it being so hard to use makes it so much more impressive and rewarding when you do pull it off. But it also makes it HARD WORK playing Brood War.

Still...can't help but think I'd enjoy it a lot.
Supporting TypeII Gaming - www.typeii.net - TypeReaL, TypePhoeNix, TypeSuN, TypeDBS!!
War Horse
Profile Joined January 2011
United States247 Posts
April 17 2011 04:27 GMT
#703
On April 17 2011 12:46 Xenocide_Knight wrote:
I can't believe the "give sc2 more time" argument STILL exists.
+ Show Spoiler +

On April 17 2011 07:07 jenzebubble wrote:
You are comparing SC:BW with ten years of maturation vs. a game that has been out a year. You are comparing players that have mastered a game vs. players still figuring out how things work (Outliers, Malcolm Gladwell, 10k hours.) I understand that from a competitive stand point SC2 isn't where a lot of us would like it to be. That said, neither was SC1 at release. Were you around when 99% of SCBW competitive games were played on Lost Temple, because every other map stunk? Remember when River Styx was a ladder map? _River Styx_! Were you around for that? When the first big invitational tournament played had Thresh as a player? (Because they couldn't find 16 players with enough name cache to invite).

I think the OP lacks perspective. SC1 took a long time to become a game that could support high level competitive play. Were you around for that period of SC1's development you'd realize that the changes you'd like to see take time.



+ Show Spoiler +

On April 17 2011 09:58 v3chr0 wrote:
Good post, a lot of valid points but I as a whole, disagree. Comparing a game that players have had time to refine for years and years and years Versus a year of SC2 of course the differences and battles aren't going to be up to par.

When people find out how to maximize effectiveness of every unit, and they have to APM to do it, things will start shaping up and taking longer, you already see this with good players. If two players decide to just engage each others armies, of course the battle will end in 10 seconds, its up to the players to make the better decisions, not the game. Watch a good P or Z go against a Tank push in SC2, they don't engage it and die right away, the fight takes 5 minutes of the Zerg repositioning and trying flanks...

Give it more time... jeeze.



Really, BW development was RTS development. That includes sc2. We didn't look look for things like micro pre-BW. But in SC2, everyone (and literally everyone) was scrambling to find out the next big strategy or play style. Just look at the sc2 strategy section. It's always "so and so's FE!" "TL poster's 1 base push!". The "give it more time" argument has been proven false so many times, please just do a search on previous threads.

Show nested quote +
On April 17 2011 11:44 ploy wrote:
On April 17 2011 11:28 mahnini wrote:
so is anyone actually against having more units like the siege tank added to sc2 or is everyone just mad that i used bw as an example?


I certainly agree with you for the most part.. even though the thread has collapsed into a sc2 vs bw word war, encouraged even by some TL staff (not you)..



I don't know about the mods, or anyone else, but I definitely think it's time for a massive sc2 vs BW war. Like a GIANT, ban/perma-ban most of TL war. I'm still pissed that I have to scroll through literally 50 pages of random, amateur tournaments in the "Upcoming events" in order to find out when the Winner's League Final is. Or that the MSL finals Featured News was literally up for less than 24 hours before getting booted off the front page for more amateur sc2 crap.

We have a Sports & Games section of TL, that's where sc2 should be. Is sc2 better than every non-BW RTS? Probably. Is it good enough to suddenly take up like 80% of teamliquid? Idk, but it hasn't been proven to be. So until SC2 can prove itself as a professional level game, I think it shouldn't be TL's main focus. Which it is. Which is bullshit imoimoimo. Players like Bisu, Jaedong, Fantasy, Flash, etc, are losing the spotlight/front page spot for people like Iron (MC), Clare (Foxer), Zergbong (Nestea), and foreigners. What? It says at the top, Teamliquid is a Starcraft progaming new site. Sc2 as of right now is a glorified, corporate, greed-fueled cesspit of 2nd rate progamers in terms of playing level. Is that the fault of the players not being good enough? No, it's the fault of the game fundamentally having too low of a skill ceiling. Jaedong would never drop a single Bo100 game vs Idra and yet in sc2, it could happen. Disgusting




Its these kinds of disgusting posts that turns so many new readers away from TeamLiquid and the world of Starcraft in general. Why are you so fucking angry? More people are playing SC2. The SC2 leagues are more popular everywhere except Korea. There are literally no notable foreigners left playing BW. If you don't like this, go start your own Brood War site and ban everyone that plays SC2?
Why appeal to God when you can appeal to Apaches?
Dhalphir
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Australia1305 Posts
April 17 2011 04:33 GMT
#704
I will agree that Brood War seems more like an afterthought on this site, it should at least get a little more recognition for what it made TL.
Supporting TypeII Gaming - www.typeii.net - TypeReaL, TypePhoeNix, TypeSuN, TypeDBS!!
KDot2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States1213 Posts
April 17 2011 04:37 GMT
#705
I have never played BW ... but from what I have read it sounds to me like BW the far superior game overall and competitively and I doubt this is even debatable ... but really SC2 is an amazing game and is great for the community ... if it was still BW focused I would not have known to come to this site or paid 25$ for NASL pass

Coming from a Socom fan ( which is a tactical shooter on playstation) ... the SC community is lucky SC2 wasn't casualized and ruined I understand that it is more casual than BW but it could be far far worse literally my favorite game of all time I will never ever be able to play anything similar again... many many fans of other series have seen their beloved franchises ruined so bad they will never get another game ...SC2 is literally the only game I bought in 2010 that wasnt total crap I think it can only get better ...
War Horse
Profile Joined January 2011
United States247 Posts
April 17 2011 04:40 GMT
#706
On April 17 2011 08:50 Footler wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 17 2011 08:04 mahnini wrote:
i am interpreting most of the people who say "give it time" to mean the players will figure something out as opposed to "it will be added eventually". if you believe the latter i don't disagree with you.


So are you saying, "give Sc2 time, Blizzard will add the it factor?"

Considering some of the things the OP mentioned, like Lurkers, or Goliaths (they had no value before the range upgrade) did not even exist in vanilla Starcraft, I think theres a chance they could add more units. I don't think smartcasting can be fixed. Its too useful for the vast majority of people that play this game, and taking it away would turn away far more players than it would attract.
Why appeal to God when you can appeal to Apaches?
s3raph
Profile Joined June 2007
58 Posts
April 17 2011 04:43 GMT
#707
I don't know about the mods, or anyone else, but I definitely think it's time for a massive sc2 vs BW war. Like a GIANT, ban/perma-ban most of TL war. I'm still pissed that I have to scroll through literally 50 pages of random, amateur tournaments in the "Upcoming events" in order to find out when the Winner's League Final is. Or that the MSL finals Featured News was literally up for less than 24 hours before getting booted off the front page for more amateur sc2 crap.

We have a Sports & Games section of TL, that's where sc2 should be. Is sc2 better than every non-BW RTS? Probably. Is it good enough to suddenly take up like 80% of teamliquid? Idk, but it hasn't been proven to be. So until SC2 can prove itself as a professional level game, I think it shouldn't be TL's main focus. Which it is. Which is bullshit imoimoimo. Players like Bisu, Jaedong, Fantasy, Flash, etc, are losing the spotlight/front page spot for people like Iron (MC), Clare (Foxer), Zergbong (Nestea), and foreigners. What? It says at the top, Teamliquid is a Starcraft progaming new site. Sc2 as of right now is a glorified, corporate, greed-fueled cesspit of 2nd rate progamers in terms of playing level. Is that the fault of the players not being good enough? No, it's the fault of the game fundamentally having too low of a skill ceiling. Jaedong would never drop a single Bo100 game vs Idra and yet in sc2, it could happen. Disgusting


This is honestly one of the most disgusting things I've ever read. Not only do you presume that your opinion is 'untouchable,' you then promptly use it as a justification to tell TL.net as a community, a site, and an organization what to do? What is wrong with you? I'm willing to bet that not even Jaedong, Flash, or any BW player would stoop to this level of polarization, and yet you try and imply that you are some form of 'white knight' protecting their interests. I'm certain Jaedong's paycheck doesn't require your incredibly inflammatory opinions.

BW pro-players make money doing something they enjoy. SC2 pros do the same thing. BW and SC2 communities are united by their enjoyment of their chosen game as a form of entertainment and a hobby. Is there a problem that TL.net strives to provide a place where both communities can coexist peacefully?

I'm just glad you're not the face of our community. Thankfully, the chance that this post will somehow be spotlighted for anything other than being a bad example is very small.
La.
RandomAccount#122857
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
243 Posts
April 17 2011 04:52 GMT
#708
--- Nuked ---
sickoota
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada918 Posts
April 17 2011 04:57 GMT
#709
As someone who never played or watched BW seriously, whenver I am up late at night and I turn on some proleauge/msl i am amazed at how much more seems to be going on than a typical sc2 game. It makes me wish sc2 was like that for the spectator.
I could spend a while with that smile
Jimbo77
Profile Joined March 2011
139 Posts
April 17 2011 04:59 GMT
#710
Main problem of SC2 is that blizz tried to implement a more new stuff in this game than they had to.
Not am i saying that blizz just had to transfer all the SC:BW units on the new engine(damn good one, by the way).
New units, spells, upgrades, of course, are very good to mix all the old good styles.
But until there is in this game such a crap as infestors, collosi, benelings, etc...SC2 will be also just very beautiful, very modern... crap.
OP has pointed it out damn good. I tried to say the same things in the Bnet forums few times, but, of course, noone cares.
billyX333
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United States1360 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-17 05:17:12
April 17 2011 05:05 GMT
#711
Xenocide's post was pretty bad but I agree with a 1 or 2 things from it. I'm also getting quite tired of the "Give it time! BW took 10 years to develop!" argument. For one thing, the understanding of micro and hotkeying buildings/units was NOT common in the early days of BW. I remember when my friend told me about micro "Yo dude, you can make your units BETTER by controlling them differently ya know?" This shattered my reality at the time but its such common sense now. The point is: the entire community's collective RTS IQ is triple that of what it was back then. We've seen so much develop and extracted the core concepts and ideas from BW then applied it to sc2. Even if SC2's complexity was as deep as BW, it would evolve at a much much faster rate. Compound that fact with the easier interface as well.

SC2's interface allows for all players at nearly any skill levels to discover new strategies and refine them so essentially the entire community can effectively test new shit out at a very proficient level. A noob could have theorycrafted the fantasy build in BW but would never had been able to execute it because of the multi tasking and vulture micro required so he would inevitably throw out the build as just being bad.

We just can't assume sc2's complexity will be as deep as BW just because it has the name "starcraft" in the title. Lalush already wrote a beautiful post about supply caps and how saturating 3 bases is essentially maximum for how many harvesters you would even want. So essentially, you only have to refine a build up to your 3rd base timing and thats essentially the end of the road. Everything beyond that is at a point when the game breaks down to match of spontaneity and freestyling.

Some people might argue the idea of whether or not idra could take a game off of jaedong in a bo100. This may or may not be true but if the stakes were high enough, I would not bet on idra taking any more than 4 or 5 games off jaedong. To better illustrate the point though, I'll just point out the fact that games between idra and 100 apm drewbie are ALWAYS competitive. As far as I'm concerned, that pretty much seals the argument for how much macro mechanics matter in sc2. I've never even seen idra macro at his full potential in sc2. In case people didn't know, idra averages 200-220 eapm in BW (350ish apm). for perspective: flash averages 240 eapm, the average top foreigners tend to average 160ish tops. in sc2 though, idra rarely even needs to go 2/3rds his full capabilities. Seriously, have you even seen idra go anywhere near 350 apm in sc2? idra was very efficient with his actions in BW so it wasnt spam.

Anyways, back on topic. I fully agree with the OP. Great post. Ive had a lot of similar thoughts as well. Somebody made this picture during the beta to illustrate the differences between bw and sc2
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

I think it adequately illustrated how important defensive positional play was in BW while sc2 has very few strong defensive units that can be used to control space and territories. Scourge, defilers, lurkers could completely defend an isolated position or base on the map as could tanks/mines or cannon/ht/reaver in pvz

I think three good posts illustrate some worries I have with the direction of sc2 going forward into the future: The power overwhelming one, this one, and lalush's post. I still love BW and SC2. I play both in my free time. Even though I think BW is the superior game, I still feel SC2 is by far the 2nd best RTS ever created.
iSTime
Profile Joined November 2006
1579 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-17 05:19:19
April 17 2011 05:16 GMT
#712
On April 17 2011 14:05 billyX333 wrote:

Some people might argue the idea of whether or not idra could take a game off of jaedong in a bo100. This may or may not be true but if the stakes were high enough, I would not bet on idra taking any more than 4 or 5 games off jaedong. To better illustrate the point though, I'll just point out the fact that games between idra and 100 apm drewbie are ALWAYS competitive. As far as I'm concerned, that pretty much seals the argument for how much macro mechanics matter in sc2. I've never even seen idra macro at his full potential in sc2. In case people didn't know, idra averages 200-220 eapm in BW (350ish apm). for perspective: flash averages 240 eapm, the average top foreigners tend to average 160ish tops. in sc2 though, idra rarely even needs to go 2/3rds his full capabilities. Seriously, have you even seen idra go anywhere near 350 apm in sc2? idra was very efficient with his actions in BW so it wasnt spam.



You make arguments like this, but do you watch any replays? Do you really think there's nothing more for idra to do? You say he has this 1/3 extra APM ability that he just "isn't using." But if you watch replays, he's still not having perfect timing on injects, on creep tumors, and so on. He's still not scouting with every single idle ling early and early mid-game. He's still not playing close to optimally, even with respect to macro and micro mechanics, ignoring elements of strategy.

There's a lot of room for improvement, and your argument that he's slower doesn't prove anything except for the fact that he's far more accustomed to playing BW than SC2. Would you expect a guitar virtuoso who has been practicing their entire life to be just as adept at playing piano after only a year? Would you say "oh shit buckethead, how come you only haz 300 apm at piano while having 600 apm at guitar?" No, you wouldn't, because he's obviously more accustomed to playing guitar, and doesn't have the muscle memory for piano yet.

EDIT: I realized that you, in particular, said "...idra rarely even needs..." Look, when IdrA is playing flawlessly and winning every game he plays, maybe you can say absurd shit like this. Until then, lol? I mean come on.
www.infinityseven.net
billyX333
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United States1360 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-17 05:24:18
April 17 2011 05:20 GMT
#713
On April 17 2011 14:16 PJA wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 17 2011 14:05 billyX333 wrote:

Some people might argue the idea of whether or not idra could take a game off of jaedong in a bo100. This may or may not be true but if the stakes were high enough, I would not bet on idra taking any more than 4 or 5 games off jaedong. To better illustrate the point though, I'll just point out the fact that games between idra and 100 apm drewbie are ALWAYS competitive. As far as I'm concerned, that pretty much seals the argument for how much macro mechanics matter in sc2. I've never even seen idra macro at his full potential in sc2. In case people didn't know, idra averages 200-220 eapm in BW (350ish apm). for perspective: flash averages 240 eapm, the average top foreigners tend to average 160ish tops. in sc2 though, idra rarely even needs to go 2/3rds his full capabilities. Seriously, have you even seen idra go anywhere near 350 apm in sc2? idra was very efficient with his actions in BW so it wasnt spam.



You make arguments like this, but do you watch any replays? Do you really think there's nothing more for idra to do? You say he has this 1/3 extra APM ability that he just "isn't using." But if you watch replays, he's still not having perfect timing on injects, on creep tumors, and so on. He's still not scouting with every single idle ling early and early mid-game. He's still not playing close to optimally, even with respect to macro and micro mechanics, ignoring elements of strategy.

There's a lot of room for improvement, and your argument that he's slower doesn't prove anything except for the fact that he's far more accustomed to playing BW than SC2. Would you expect a guitar virtuoso who has been practicing their entire life to be just as adept at playing piano after only a year? Would you say "oh shit buckethead, how come you only haz 300 apm at piano while having 600 apm at guitar?" No, you wouldn't, because he's obviously more accustomed to playing guitar, and doesn't have the muscle memory for piano yet.

EDIT: I realized that you, in particular, said "...idra rarely even needs..." Look, when IdrA is playing flawlessly and winning every game he plays, maybe you can say absurd shit like this. Until then, lol? I mean come on.

The creep tumors and larva injection mechanic is more about tempo than actual mechanics. Idra isn't constantly macroing because he doesn't need to. I was referring to strictly macro mechanics, not scouting/harassing/microing/multitasking etc etc.

and also:
EDIT: I realized that you, in particular, said "...idra rarely even needs..." Look, when IdrA is playing flawlessly and winning every game he plays, maybe you can say absurd shit like this. Until then, lol? I mean come on.

This makes no sense. Perfect macro doesn't exist because of the order is never perfect because its completely dependent on what the opponent is doing and what you can get away with. But being able to adequately keep up with every thing which needs to be done is a completely different issue which is the one i'm specifically discussing. I doubt any BW pro gamer would have trouble getting everything done in SC2, its just the order in which its done that can make or break the game and that will never be perfected. Whitera made comments about this as well.

iSTime
Profile Joined November 2006
1579 Posts
April 17 2011 05:22 GMT
#714
On April 17 2011 14:05 billyX333 wrote:
I think it adequately illustrated how important defensive positional play was in BW while sc2 has very few strong defensive units that can be used to control space and territories. Scourge, defilers, lurkers could completely defend an isolated position or base on the map as could tanks/mines or cannon/ht/reaver in pvz

I think three good posts illustrate some worries I have with the direction of sc2 going forward into the future: The power overwhelming one, this one, and lalush's post. I still love BW and SC2. I play both in my free time. Even though I think BW is the superior game, I still feel SC2 is by far the 2nd best RTS ever created.


Just wanted to add: Given the recent development in infestor play that has eluded top players for an entire year, I think your timing on talking about stuff like this is pretty poor.
www.infinityseven.net
iSTime
Profile Joined November 2006
1579 Posts
April 17 2011 05:23 GMT
#715
On April 17 2011 14:20 billyX333 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 17 2011 14:16 PJA wrote:
On April 17 2011 14:05 billyX333 wrote:

Some people might argue the idea of whether or not idra could take a game off of jaedong in a bo100. This may or may not be true but if the stakes were high enough, I would not bet on idra taking any more than 4 or 5 games off jaedong. To better illustrate the point though, I'll just point out the fact that games between idra and 100 apm drewbie are ALWAYS competitive. As far as I'm concerned, that pretty much seals the argument for how much macro mechanics matter in sc2. I've never even seen idra macro at his full potential in sc2. In case people didn't know, idra averages 200-220 eapm in BW (350ish apm). for perspective: flash averages 240 eapm, the average top foreigners tend to average 160ish tops. in sc2 though, idra rarely even needs to go 2/3rds his full capabilities. Seriously, have you even seen idra go anywhere near 350 apm in sc2? idra was very efficient with his actions in BW so it wasnt spam.



You make arguments like this, but do you watch any replays? Do you really think there's nothing more for idra to do? You say he has this 1/3 extra APM ability that he just "isn't using." But if you watch replays, he's still not having perfect timing on injects, on creep tumors, and so on. He's still not scouting with every single idle ling early and early mid-game. He's still not playing close to optimally, even with respect to macro and micro mechanics, ignoring elements of strategy.

There's a lot of room for improvement, and your argument that he's slower doesn't prove anything except for the fact that he's far more accustomed to playing BW than SC2. Would you expect a guitar virtuoso who has been practicing their entire life to be just as adept at playing piano after only a year? Would you say "oh shit buckethead, how come you only haz 300 apm at piano while having 600 apm at guitar?" No, you wouldn't, because he's obviously more accustomed to playing guitar, and doesn't have the muscle memory for piano yet.

The creep tumors and larva injection mechanic is more about tempo than actual mechanics. Idra isn't constantly macroing because he doesn't need to.


What kind of bullshit dodge is this? Are you serious?
www.infinityseven.net
billyX333
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United States1360 Posts
April 17 2011 05:27 GMT
#716
On April 17 2011 14:22 PJA wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 17 2011 14:05 billyX333 wrote:
I think it adequately illustrated how important defensive positional play was in BW while sc2 has very few strong defensive units that can be used to control space and territories. Scourge, defilers, lurkers could completely defend an isolated position or base on the map as could tanks/mines or cannon/ht/reaver in pvz

I think three good posts illustrate some worries I have with the direction of sc2 going forward into the future: The power overwhelming one, this one, and lalush's post. I still love BW and SC2. I play both in my free time. Even though I think BW is the superior game, I still feel SC2 is by far the 2nd best RTS ever created.


Just wanted to add: Given the recent development in infestor play that has eluded top players for an entire year, I think your timing on talking about stuff like this is pretty poor.

Not exactly sure what this means. Of course the game isnt figured out yet?
Gofarman
Profile Joined June 2010
Canada648 Posts
April 17 2011 05:28 GMT
#717
This boggles my mind that this OP is by a Banling and it is still going on.

SC2 is missing the thing that made BW great TIME

We have it better then any of you can even pretend to know unless you we and are a top level player in multiple RTS games, and I don't mean C+ and Masters I mean you legitimately competed with the likes of Day Artosis Mondragon Nony then AND now.

Give it time, and if you really don't know how I could be knowledgeable enough to even post this listen/watch the latest SotG to get an idea.
Phyrigian
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
New Zealand1332 Posts
April 17 2011 05:28 GMT
#718
--- Nuked ---
iSTime
Profile Joined November 2006
1579 Posts
April 17 2011 05:30 GMT
#719
On April 17 2011 14:27 billyX333 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 17 2011 14:22 PJA wrote:
On April 17 2011 14:05 billyX333 wrote:
I think it adequately illustrated how important defensive positional play was in BW while sc2 has very few strong defensive units that can be used to control space and territories. Scourge, defilers, lurkers could completely defend an isolated position or base on the map as could tanks/mines or cannon/ht/reaver in pvz

I think three good posts illustrate some worries I have with the direction of sc2 going forward into the future: The power overwhelming one, this one, and lalush's post. I still love BW and SC2. I play both in my free time. Even though I think BW is the superior game, I still feel SC2 is by far the 2nd best RTS ever created.


Just wanted to add: Given the recent development in infestor play that has eluded top players for an entire year, I think your timing on talking about stuff like this is pretty poor.

Not exactly sure what this means. Of course the game isnt figured out yet?


Well you are trying to say that SC2 is lacking in some positional element that BW possesses, but current developments point to the fact that perhaps that is at least partially due to the game not being figured out yet, not an inherent design flaw.

And yet you want to claim that it is due to an inherent design flaw, and downplay the fact that BW is more developed.
www.infinityseven.net
Phyrigian
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
New Zealand1332 Posts
April 17 2011 05:32 GMT
#720
--- Nuked ---
Prev 1 34 35 36 37 38 70 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 9h 32m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nathanias 71
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 12764
Rain 1956
Artosis 768
White-Ra 204
ToSsGirL 45
Dota 2
monkeys_forever615
NeuroSwarm176
League of Legends
Doublelift4212
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox1494
ArmadaUGS611
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor698
WinterStarcraft240
Other Games
summit1g8776
shahzam673
Day[9].tv603
JimRising 531
C9.Mang0275
ViBE137
Maynarde135
Trikslyr55
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick785
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream109
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 130
• davetesta42
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Scarra1097
• Day9tv603
• Shiphtur268
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
9h 32m
OSC
12h 32m
Stellar Fest
12h 32m
OSC
23h 32m
Stellar Fest
1d 12h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.