• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 01:55
CEST 07:55
KST 14:55
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)64Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Sagi.gg Launcher Released an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8295 users

GSL soundproof issue - Interview Censorship - Page 7

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All
zeross
Profile Joined September 2010
France310 Posts
January 22 2011 18:46 GMT
#121
On January 23 2011 03:24 dmillz wrote:
They probably decided that since it had been dealt with the harm caused by editing the video was less then the possible harm in the future from people thinking that it was possible for GSL competitors to cheat.


would be simple enough to make a disclaimer that said "this issue has already been resolved and players can no longer hear the noise of the commentator between music tracks. this issue have been decided to have no impact on the result of the match and no players complained so there was not a regame"

would tell everything everyone need to know and cause less harm than a edition. if i see a interview poorly edited like this i'll want to know what was there in the first place so i'll just youtube it and see it full. and if i see the full content on youtube i'll think "eh, if they have censored this part it's because the problem must be still there and they don't want us to know, crap..."
SpiriTofAaekA
Profile Joined November 2010
United States19 Posts
January 22 2011 18:48 GMT
#122
what a joke
Sinnq
Profile Joined April 2010
Denmark75 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-22 18:49:40
January 22 2011 18:49 GMT
#123
What happens is GomTV gets too many warnings? They will disqualify themselves?

Also, the censorship is uncalled for and stupid.
Mouth
Profile Joined August 2010
United States122 Posts
January 22 2011 18:51 GMT
#124
yea I dont understand this at all. I thought they handled the sound issue really well putting out an official statement including measures to help remedy it. But this is just dumb. If you wanted to ensure more people viewing the original interview then censoring it out was the way to go.
GwSC
Profile Joined December 2010
United States1997 Posts
January 22 2011 18:54 GMT
#125
I'm not really understanding the big issue everyone has with this. It's not like they edited it out and tried to hide the matter. There was an announcement made, the issue was addressed. I can understand the reasoning behind editing it: In the future people will be watching VODs to catch up on previous seasons and it is very possible those people will not have seen the announcement addressing the problem, so it is best to avoid any confusion.

Maybe a simple disclaimer edited in before/after the video would have been better, but I don't have a problem with this.
MetalSlug
Profile Joined February 2010
Germany443 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-22 20:08:12
January 22 2011 19:00 GMT
#126
what if jinro asked for his interview to be edited ? would suck for him if he wins this gsl and haters woulf say he only did because the soundproof issue
MKP | Maru | Nada | Boxer | Supernova | Keen
Ludwigvan
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Germany2373 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-22 19:04:09
January 22 2011 19:02 GMT
#127
On January 23 2011 04:00 MetalSlug wrote:
what if jinro asked for his interview to be edited ? would suck for him if he eins this gsl and haters woulf say he only did because the soundproof issue

i doubt that. I dont think he is afraid of haters. Even if he asked for it, gom would suck for cutting that out.
semm
Profile Joined October 2010
United States9 Posts
January 22 2011 19:08 GMT
#128
I just sent an email to support@gomtv.net, I suggest that anybody else who feels especially strongly about this issue do the same. I will include what I wrote in a spoiler tag below, feel free to edit it to reflect your own experience and re-use as desired.

+ Show Spoiler +
Dear Sir or Madam,

You have altered the Jinro 'Round of 8' interview interview to omit
any mention that he could hear the crowd from within his booth. This
behavior is highly unethical, especially given that the editing was
done in such a way as to purposefully mislead a casual observer that
the video has been altered. Regardless of any action taken on your
part to correct what went wrong during this match, your alteration of
the original record is unacceptable. Given that the video was edited
in such a way as to cover up the alteration, your already know this on
some level. I have been a subscriber to the premium service for
seasons 2, 3 and 4. I will certainly NOT be subscribing to the next
season unless you restore the video to its original state. There
would of course be nothing wrong with adding additional details
noting that this is an issue which is being worked on.

Sincerely,
<real name redacted>
Uncultured
Profile Joined September 2010
United States1340 Posts
January 22 2011 19:14 GMT
#129
There's this new law of the Internet I've been thinking up. Something along the lines of "If it can be over-reacted to, most likely it will be, whether positively or negatively."

This thread applies.
Don't you rage when you lose too? -FruitDealer
BeMannerDuPenner
Profile Blog Joined April 2004
Germany5638 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-22 19:16:42
January 22 2011 19:16 GMT
#130
i really really dislike censorship .be it here or anywhere else. esp in this case its totally unneeded in my opinion.


but given how fast they responded to the issue its not like im going crazy over it. still just not a nice thing.
life of lively to live to life of full life thx to shield battery
Nokarot
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States1410 Posts
January 22 2011 19:23 GMT
#131
Doesnt really seem worth starting a boycott over, semm. Not only do they likely not care about one individuals threats, but they sound like empty threats anyway. It's one thing to say you're not going to buy in to next season over something you're upset about- its another thing to completely drop hours upon hours of entertainment (assuming you watch the VODs) because you're unhappy that 30 seconds of an interview were cut out.

I would also state that, in America, we believe in freedom of speech. I don't claim to know the social boundaries within the Korean culture, but it is not right for all of you to assume that you know best based on the fact that censorship is considered immoral on US soil.

I doubt it is a cover-up. If they had not acknowledged it, then it would be. By removing it, I believe (and could be wrong) that they are simply trying to avoid causing concern to any other parties, or to avoid people discrediting Jinro, who has proven to become very popular amongst Korean and non-Korean viewers.

Go ahead and assume the worst, though.
beep beep boop
Zocat
Profile Joined April 2010
Germany2229 Posts
January 22 2011 19:23 GMT
#132
Does anyone have a link to the mentioned announcement from GomTV where they adressed the issue? I only know of the news mentioned in this post but it's Korean only.

So is there actually an announcement for the International viewer base?
Maybe that's the reason for the censorship? They dont expect everyone to read TL (or a Korean news site) so there's no option for those "uninformed" guys to read a statement.
Galleon.frigate
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada721 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-22 19:50:24
January 22 2011 19:26 GMT
#133

EDIT :


I will copy the email I send to GomTV regarding my thoughts on the issue.

Dear GomTV,

I have been very proud and happy to support GomTV in it's efforts with Starcraft 2. However, if I find that GomTV takes actions of censorship in the future, I may no longer buy your products. In fact I have purchased all 4 seasons of Starcraft 2 and hope to be able to purchase further seasons. I have very much enjoyed your products. However, I am concerned. My greatest worry in not players may have heard commentary, I believe GomTV when you say you will be correct the issue. I can not speak to the culture in South Korea, and I can understand the desire for GomTV to save face, however I feel there is more shame in hiding the truth than admitting it openly and working hard to fix it.

I am very concerned that you at first did not publish, and then cut the part of the Mr. Walsh's interview where is states that he was able to hear crowd nosies. This action makes it seem that Mr. Walsh behaved incorrectly by immediately and openly admitting to what happened. Which I believe is the only way that such issues can be dealt with. When you go out of your way to hide these issues, it damages the trust that I have in GomTV. I believe that most North American customers feel the same, that the worst thing GomTV can do is try to hide a mistake. Perhaps you would prefer Mr. Walsh only spoke to those in authority at GomTV, however as a fan and supporter I can only know that things are going right if I feel the players are respected and allowed to speak freely regarding any concerns.

I have been very impressed with the actions of GomTV up to this point. And I fully believe that you will take all actions necessary to correct the soundproofing issue. Please do not shake the faith and trust of your internation viewers by trying to cover up issues that effect the sport.
FALAPARK
Profile Joined January 2010
United States224 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-22 19:37:48
January 22 2011 19:35 GMT
#134
I think the community is being a little bit too hard on gumtv, I just don't see why people will stop contributing over this, it saddens me. I don't see anything wrong with what they doing.
Xswordy
Profile Joined December 2010
United Kingdom425 Posts
January 22 2011 19:36 GMT
#135
This is stupid. They already adressed the issue with that post or w/e. I don't see the point of doing this as everyone already knows what happend. If anything the best thing to do would've been a rematch , but now is too late.
MichaelJLowell
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States610 Posts
January 22 2011 19:40 GMT
#136
The problem is that you don't want GOMTV turning into the Ultimate Fighting Championship or World Wrestling Entertainment, two companies with storied histories manipulating footage to fit the business agenda. Both of those companies have a history of marginalizing workers and employees who are on poor terms with the company and both of those companies have a history of "forgetting about" things that put the company in a poor light. If you're under the impression that competitive gaming is a community endeavor (regardless of how many sponsors and business magnates invest in the product), then it's important that incidents like these are painted in a public light. That way, the community can rectify those issues.
http://www.learntocounter.com - I'm a "known troll" so please disconnect your kid's computer when I am on the forums.
semm
Profile Joined October 2010
United States9 Posts
January 22 2011 19:41 GMT
#137
Doesnt really seem worth starting a boycott over, semm. Not only do they likely not care about one individuals threats, but they sound like empty threats anyway. It's one thing to say you're not going to buy in to next season over something you're upset about- its another thing to completely drop hours upon hours of entertainment (assuming you watch the VODs) because you're unhappy that 30 seconds of an interview were cut out.


I will finish watching this season, I did pay for it. I will not buy a ticket for the next. Its hardly an threat in any case. There is a ton of free SC2 related entertainment out there, way more than any one person has time for. I think the GOMtv production is of high quality, but this is an issue I feel strongly enough about to nat watch next season. Hardly seems extreme to me.

I acknowledge that the culture there may be different, that doesn't mean I cannot apply my own judgment of what constitutes ethical behavior when deciding how to spend my own money. And even so, I'm buying the English service aren't I? If one wanted to give some sort of multicultural excuse for what I think is bad behavior, then if I'm watching an English stream they should know enough about Western culture to know how upset many of their foreign viewers would be. Thanks for the reply though
Sinborn
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States275 Posts
January 22 2011 19:44 GMT
#138
A lot of people are putting on tinfoil hats in this thread. Context control is fine if you address the issue at hand, given that many viewers will likely see the issue and apply it to some other situations without knowledge of the original addressing, whereas we are in the minority in knowing about the address. Seriously, what new GOMtv watcher is going to read the sound-proofing acknowledgment post down the line?
Galleon.frigate
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada721 Posts
January 22 2011 19:52 GMT
#139
On January 23 2011 04:44 Sinborn wrote:
A lot of people are putting on tinfoil hats in this thread. Context control is fine if you address the issue at hand, given that many viewers will likely see the issue and apply it to some other situations without knowledge of the original addressing, whereas we are in the minority in knowing about the address. Seriously, what new GOMtv watcher is going to read the sound-proofing acknowledgment post down the line?


This is fundimental to the sport.

If the NFL tried to hide that one team was intercepting the radio of another teams plays would you not be concerned?

How you ensure that people do not apply this to other situation is addressing it so throughly that no one had reason to. Not by hidding it.
Galleon.frigate
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada721 Posts
January 22 2011 19:54 GMT
#140
Anyways my final thoughts on the issue:

if you are concerned email or contact GomTV

if they recieve 1000 emails that this is wrong, they will get the idea. They are not going to be so concerned about posts on TL
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 4h 5m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
WinterStarcraft723
StarCraft: Brood War
Horang2 582
Stork 236
ggaemo 200
Leta 148
PianO 61
Hyuk 30
Bale 18
yabsab 17
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm196
League of Legends
JimRising 676
Reynor50
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King227
Westballz37
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor652
Other Games
summit1g8781
Coldzera 822
C9.Mang0302
PiGStarcraft211
Sick152
RuFF_SC2112
ViBE70
ArmadaUGS35
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick682
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream137
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 13
• Letter146
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2252
League of Legends
• Lourlo1358
• Stunt443
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
4h 5m
Online Event
5h 5m
FEL
10h 5m
AI Arena Tournament
11h 5m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
13h 5m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 4h
INu's Battles
1d 6h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 13h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 13h
Replay Cast
1d 18h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.