• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:53
CEST 11:53
KST 18:53
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon107
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7389 users

What do you think about the new achievements? - Page 6

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 14 Next All
Turbo.Tactics
Profile Joined April 2010
Germany675 Posts
July 09 2010 02:32 GMT
#101
No one should be able to disable achievements completely since it devalues achievements in some way and destroys the whole idea of achievements beeing a motivation and somewhat counterpart to the blunt massgamer. However,I think we must have an option to disable the pop-ups or just show the new achievements after the game which makes it kinda final fantasy-ish (after fight: Exp-bars rising, objects popping up) only without the awesome midisound. Then again, every achievement will annoy you only once...

I have to defend achievements themselves in every way possible. It is the best way to lure casuals into the multiplayer, to teach them a certain "skill" of the game, or to just let them concentrate on an individual part i.e. using storm or macroing queens. In addition, the portraits look freaking awesome so if you are one of the more prestige-centered battle.net users and like to swing your epeen around the upcoming chatchannels, portraits are another motivation to play the game. I want the community to grow as fast as possible so I can't understand people who rage against achievements.

The popups may be annoying but at the current stage of the game and it's players i argue that they are gamechangingly annoying.

Personally I like that they are popping up directly but I would also be annoyed if they did in a tournament when theres actually something at stake. So either give us "ingame popupdisable" or a simple achievementlist after the game.

Poll: I want...

to disable achievements during games. (28)
 
39%

an achievement summary after games. (27)
 
38%

achievements to stay as they are! (10)
 
14%

achievements to disappear completely! (6)
 
8%

71 total votes

Your vote: I want...

(Vote): achievements to stay as they are!
(Vote): to disable achievements during games.
(Vote): an achievement summary after games.
(Vote): achievements to disappear completely!







Zerg - because Browders sons hate 'em
Looky
Profile Joined April 2010
United States1608 Posts
July 09 2010 02:33 GMT
#102
achievements mean nothing really.. i mean i understand if the game was a first person shooter and you get like 15 kills in a row. but in rts means little.
prototype.
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Canada4215 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-09 02:38:23
July 09 2010 02:37 GMT
#103
Some achievements are pretty ridiculous.

Win 1000 games with each race (worth 20 points). What is this I don't even.
( ・´ー・`)
silencesc
Profile Joined July 2010
United States464 Posts
July 09 2010 02:41 GMT
#104
The point values are probably just placeholders at the moment, it IS still in beta, lest we forget, and there are certainly going to be changes. That said, I acknowledge that achievements are enticing for less serious players (the new key demographic for activision-blizzard apparently) but they have no place in real play. If they want to put them in after the game, by all means make something else that most will ignore, but don't screw up gameplay with huge glowing banners.
Real Men Proxy Gate | TEAM LIQUID HWITINGGGG!! PROUD MEMBER OF UC DAVIS CSL TEAM | "If you don't give a shit about what gum you eat, buy Stride" - Liquid`Tyler on SotG 4/19/2011
figq
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
12519 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-09 02:46:26
July 09 2010 02:44 GMT
#105
I don't care much about achievements. They are just for fun. Depending on mood I could spend some time on chasing achievements. Just another tease in the game, that's all. I think it's generally not such a bad idea to have them for the casual players, but I'm indifferent and wouldn't mind if there were no achievements in the game. On the poll above I voted that it's better to have an option to disable achievement announcements during games. That thing could be annoying and confusing.

By the way, here's a list of all the achievement icons, in case someone is interested:
+ Show Spoiler +
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/2203/uiwolachievementiconssh.jpg
http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/2203/uiwolachievementiconssh.jpg
http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/2203/uiwolachievementiconssh.jpg
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/2203/uiwolachievementiconssh.jpg
http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/2203/uiwolachievementiconssh.jpg
http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/2203/uiwolachievementiconssh.jpg

If you stand next to my head, you can hear the ocean. - Day[9]
Kanil
Profile Joined April 2010
United States1713 Posts
July 09 2010 02:45 GMT
#106
I got 7 achievements in my first game. Way too damn many, but whatever.

Unfortunately, we should expect to see retarded people doing retarded shit in-game to get achievements. I can't wait for my random 2v2 partner to mass infestors and spend the entire game trying to steal a friggin' probe.

It'll happen, eventually.
I used to have an Oz icon over here ---->
moon`
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States372 Posts
July 09 2010 02:46 GMT
#107
I like some of the achievements, especially the ones referring to other games. For example, "Would you kindly" -Bioshock

Some of the achievements are ridiculously far-fetched to accomplish, but hell that's what achievements are for. Only complaint from me is that some of the portraits are hard to get, especially with less than 2 weeks of beta. However, I suppose it makes it worthwhile to earn them. Also don't like the pop-up that gets in your way when you get an achievement.
Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like pandabearguy.
EZjijy
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States1039 Posts
July 09 2010 02:46 GMT
#108
Really annoying when a bigass popup comes and it doesn't go away. :/
Gedrah
Profile Joined February 2010
465 Posts
July 09 2010 03:15 GMT
#109
I don't mind achievements and all that, but I really wish they wouldn't pop up during a game or over my score screen. If it were available, I probably would enjoy being able to turn them off all together.
What is a dickfour?
RoMarX
Profile Joined April 2010
Argentina189 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-09 03:27:43
July 09 2010 03:27 GMT
#110
haha achievements are fun, i dont care too much about them but its a good thing ^^

oh and the boxes during the game are really small, i didnt even notice the first ones xD
Hellooo!!!!!!!
Whole
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States6046 Posts
July 09 2010 03:31 GMT
#111
I like the achievements. Personally, I want to improve my game, so I don't even care about them, but they're good for casuals and people who are just really bored. It doesn't affect anything, so why would anyone want them removed. It is just adding some extra stuff to the game, nothing important. If anything, it will just make some games easier where people won't use a normal build just to get an achievement, and put themselves in an uncomfortable position.
Malgrif
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Canada1095 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-09 03:42:32
July 09 2010 03:41 GMT
#112
is it because wow has achievements that there's such a negative stigma around them? i really don't understand all the hate behind them. the icons look cool, the names sound funny, and they give you something to do other than burning out playing competitively 24/7. it adds to the longevity of the game and rewards you for screwing around, what's the harm?
for there to be pro there has to be noob.
Ikkath
Profile Joined May 2010
United Kingdom54 Posts
July 09 2010 04:07 GMT
#113
On July 09 2010 10:06 Liquid`Jinro wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 09 2010 10:03 SichuanPanda wrote:
People must have low concentration level if a 200 pixel wide 60 pixel tall box distracts you. I barely notice the box is there, and there's no way I could be distracted by it.

Lol, you realize it BLOCKS part of the screen right?

I literally had a game today against TLO in which he got the achievment pop-up and could not target my building turret in his base - infact, he didn't even see it.

The popup is fucking huge, and extremely annoying. There is NO reason I should not be able to turn it off, and there is no reason to defend there not being an option to do so.


Having actually just seen one popup mid-game on a stream (bah no beta in EU) I have to agree with SichuanPanda. I wouldn't get distracted by it one bit and I very much doubt I would miss a building in my base because of it. I mean its only there for 1-2 seconds max?

Though if you were flipping from base to base, etc maybe.

Either way you should be able to turn them off of course.
Ikkath
Profile Joined May 2010
United Kingdom54 Posts
July 09 2010 04:13 GMT
#114
On July 09 2010 11:32 Turbo.Tactics wrote:

Poll: I want...

to disable achievements during games. (28)
 
39%

an achievement summary after games. (27)
 
38%

achievements to stay as they are! (10)
 
14%

achievements to disappear completely! (6)
 
8%

71 total votes

Your vote: I want...

(Vote): achievements to stay as they are!
(Vote): to disable achievements during games.
(Vote): an achievement summary after games.
(Vote): achievements to disappear completely!






The poll doesn't really make sense. I want option 2 and 3 - they are not mutually exclusive choices.

Ideal situation would be options to block all types of toasts in-game and a post match achievement summary - just add another tab to the post match stats or display them modal style like the current non-combat achievements.
xtfftc
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United Kingdom2343 Posts
July 09 2010 04:15 GMT
#115
It's good to see that Blizzard are so devoted in releasing a "stable" version of the game and don't bother with the not so important features like chatrooms, clans, a working custom games system, achievements... Oh, wait.

It would be awesome if we could at least disable them but Activision would rather not release the game at all.
Vei
Profile Joined March 2010
United States2845 Posts
July 09 2010 04:16 GMT
#116
I love them ^^ Hopefully there will be even more.
www.justin.tv/veisc2 ~ 720p + commentary
Kanil
Profile Joined April 2010
United States1713 Posts
July 09 2010 04:18 GMT
#117
On July 09 2010 12:41 Malgrif wrote:it adds to the longevity of the game and rewards you for screwing around, what's the harm?


This is the harm. You have to play around idiots who are screwing off just to get achievements.

I imagine the problem will be lessened in StarCraft as opposed to some other games, but it will still be annoying to have people doing stupid BS just for an achievement.
I used to have an Oz icon over here ---->
xtfftc
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United Kingdom2343 Posts
July 09 2010 04:27 GMT
#118
Hm, there is an option to disable "toasts". Perhaps this is what a lot of you are looking for?

On July 09 2010 12:41 Malgrif wrote:it adds to the longevity of the game and rewards you for screwing around, what's the harm?

The harm is that developers' time is wasted on ways to trick you into playing the game more instead of just making it better (yes, I really want chat rooms). If they introduce the achievements after several years then perhaps I would have said that it's a good idea but for now it is not. It is just a cheap trick that shouldn't really be a part of something as awesome as StarCraft.
MementoMori
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada419 Posts
July 09 2010 04:28 GMT
#119
I really think you guys are overreacting. If achievements aren't for you then don't worry about them. I just can't really see an achievement popping up in the middle of a game as such a major annoyance. It's a minor distraction if anything at all. I'm more than willing to admit that I am not near the level where an achievement popping up on the screen for a few seconds is going to affect my game.

I do agree very much with the last comment though. I'm sure we've all seen it happen in other games where there are random people ruining the game for others in an attempt to get achievements. Instead of just playing the game to win.
for the world is hollow and I have touched the sky
ClanOverdosed
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
691 Posts
July 09 2010 04:29 GMT
#120
Aren't the achievements for the casual gamers to enjoy?
Overdosed--www.overdosed.net
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 14 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 1319
actioN 1232
Soma 631
EffOrt 311
Horang2 215
Pusan 176
Jaedong 151
hero 124
Stork 124
soO 88
[ Show more ]
HiyA 77
ZerO 75
Killer 67
Rush 45
Shinee 33
Sharp 32
sorry 32
Bale 31
Mong 25
NaDa 12
Terrorterran 11
Noble 10
JulyZerg 9
Sexy 7
Dota 2
Gorgc1211
XaKoH 151
Counter-Strike
edward49
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes797
WinterStarcraft771
Other Games
gofns50125
singsing1221
olofmeister1139
ceh9577
Livibee204
Pyrionflax138
ArmadaUGS41
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick554
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream495
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH353
• StrangeGG 46
• LUISG 26
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP3
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2337
League of Legends
• Jankos1642
• Rush1399
• Stunt383
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
7m
CranKy Ducklings3
Afreeca Starleague
7m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
14h 7m
Kung Fu Cup
1d 1h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.