• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 17:14
CEST 23:14
KST 06:14
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon110
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8778 users

platinum isn't that good? - Page 4

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 17 18 19 Next All
Ryuu314
Profile Joined October 2009
United States12679 Posts
April 29 2010 17:49 GMT
#61
Yea, I think the skill distribution should get better on release. As more people become familiar with the game, the skill cap will gradually increase.

I think we're just too used to the old ICCUP way of ranking where it was very hard to make it to blue ranks and above unless you're like top 1% of all players, which was a very high skill level. Keep in mind that certain strats like 1 base muta are still considered to be quite OP for certain matchups and abuse of these strats may be what's leading to the skill skewage. I mean, in many interviews, it's been suggested that Korean Zergs are showing dominance through turtling into muta strats, which have started to become more common in foreigner servers.
Diaspora
Profile Joined April 2010
United States140 Posts
April 29 2010 17:50 GMT
#62
It's just the beta, once the player pool increases so too will the level of skill, pushing the players who are mid level platinum in the beta somewhere around middle gold. Really no need to stress over it right now.
rbkl
Profile Joined March 2010
772 Posts
April 29 2010 17:52 GMT
#63
There will be 80% of people in copper if we reduce the number of plat players.
www.check6gaming.com // www.iugaming.com ** Indiana's Premier Gaming / Starcraft Community **
OPSavioR
Profile Joined March 2010
Sweden1465 Posts
April 29 2010 17:52 GMT
#64
it should be more difficult , i got in to plat by just spamming roaches , i was in gold before i got my own key but i cant say im in the skill level as orb , haypro morrow etc. seems like there are TOO many in plat atm..
i dunno lol
Takkara
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2503 Posts
April 29 2010 17:53 GMT
#65
On April 30 2010 02:50 Diaspora wrote:
It's just the beta, once the player pool increases so too will the level of skill, pushing the players who are mid level platinum in the beta somewhere around middle gold. Really no need to stress over it right now.


This belief is misguided. When the game is released, more people will play. More people playing = more people slated into Platinum. The only way the "bad" players in platinum get pushed out for "better" players is if there is somehow a gigantic group of really really good players that don't have beta at all. Which is certainly possible, but I don't know if it's true it's going to naturally correct as much as everyone thinks it will.

Full disclosure: I'm not in the conversation for platinum right now at all, I'm just reasoning through the math of it all to help explain how I understand the system for others to understand it better.
Gee gee gee gee baby baby baby
Ecael
Profile Joined February 2008
United States6703 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-29 17:56:47
April 29 2010 17:54 GMT
#66
On April 30 2010 02:49 jstar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 30 2010 02:46 SichuanPanda wrote:
I think that a two fold approach should happen. 1 there should be a league above platinum for pro level players, 2 you should never be allowed to place higher than Gold rank. This way the highly skilled players will quickly rank out of gold into Plat or the pro league, and the above average players can populate gold league.


I agree with this. In the 5 placement matches I've faced 5 total noobs before and easily got placed in Plat, or facing 1 or 2 very impressive players and got placed in gold. It seems that anyone could very easily be placed in Plat if they got lucky and faced 5 noobs in all 5 matches.

And you know what? The chances of you getting 5 noobs is fairly good. This is a beta, it isn't even an open beta, and the player pool is nowhere close to what retail will be. Even within this group there are further divisions. People who visit liquidpedia and get an alright sense of BOs will do alright randomly with just some basic skills. When I first started playing on my friends' account in Gold, I was winning left and right just because people don't know BOs. Come on. Give it time for people to actually learn things and for the amount of players as well as the skill range they represent to even out more.

On April 30 2010 02:53 Takkara wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 30 2010 02:50 Diaspora wrote:
It's just the beta, once the player pool increases so too will the level of skill, pushing the players who are mid level platinum in the beta somewhere around middle gold. Really no need to stress over it right now.


This belief is misguided. When the game is released, more people will play. More people playing = more people slated into Platinum. The only way the "bad" players in platinum get pushed out for "better" players is if there is somehow a gigantic group of really really good players that don't have beta at all. Which is certainly possible, but I don't know if it's true it's going to naturally correct as much as everyone thinks it will.

Full disclosure: I'm not in the conversation for platinum right now at all, I'm just reasoning through the math of it all to help explain how I understand the system for others to understand it better.

That's also rather misguided, because you are assuming a fairly normal distribution of player levels. I'd say for us to look at icc ranks and get an idea for distribution, but honestly that doesn't have much meaning either in a new game. It takes time rather for such things to settle. Also, once you have a greater player pool, that difference in skill level will relatively easily observed by just plotting out the people at ranges of points, it wouldn't be too hard to implement a new league then if the concerns of the OP here is true.
Day[9]
Profile Blog Joined April 2003
United States7366 Posts
April 29 2010 17:54 GMT
#67
Honestly, if you can sustain D+ on ICCUP, that's a pretty significant achievement when thinking about EVERY possible person who plays Starcraft. Most D+ players would thrash 95% of b.net players in 1v1s on reasonable maps. Now that we have Battle.net 2.0, EVERY SC2 player is in one place, so those D+ players really do deserve to be platinum, as they're still better than 95% of other players.

Therefore, time to go try to break 3k points! FIGHT FIGHT.
Whenever I encounter some little hitch, or some of my orbs get out of orbit, nothing pleases me so much as to make the crooked straight and crush down uneven places. www.day9.tv
olof
Profile Joined July 2009
Sweden254 Posts
April 29 2010 17:55 GMT
#68
I'll just say it once more and then leave it.
There have been some screenshots floating around
*cough* http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/File:Leagues_SC2_Game1.jpg *cough*
which supposedly is from battle.net/blizz.
in which a pro league and a practice league is mentioned.
hi man O_O
Pyrrhuloxia
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
United States6700 Posts
April 29 2010 17:56 GMT
#69
They NEED more layers. Iccup had 14 layers of skill, and Iccup's skill gradient is much more condensed than battle.net's. They honestly need at LEAST ten layers in order to make the playing experience more accommodating.
monolith94
Profile Joined September 2009
United States47 Posts
April 29 2010 17:57 GMT
#70
Myth 2 had a great ranking system. I can remember trying so, so hard to get up another ranking...
Day[9]
Profile Blog Joined April 2003
United States7366 Posts
April 29 2010 17:57 GMT
#71
Oh wow I forgot half my point,

So, I think the division system is completely reasonable right now. I have a friend who, honestly, is completely horrendous at RTS games. He was put into the copper division. However, there, he has great competition! It's amazing how often he messages me excited that he played a really epic, awesome, rewarding game. So, I'm curious if the silver/gold/bronze leaguers have a similar experience too! From what I've heard, it seems to be the case.

I'm delighted that there's going to be a pro-division, a division for ze giganerds among us.
Whenever I encounter some little hitch, or some of my orbs get out of orbit, nothing pleases me so much as to make the crooked straight and crush down uneven places. www.day9.tv
Craton
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States17303 Posts
April 29 2010 17:57 GMT
#72
I got to plat with pure mechanics, build orders be damned.

I don't expect to see much change in the distribution from beta to release. I would like to see platinum be more narrow, though. Silver and Gold feel largely useless: if you're bad you're copper/bronze; if you're good you're plat. You might get stuck in silver/gold for a little bit if you e.g. lose to cheese, but plat is inevitable. You always seem to gain so much more than you lose at those ranks.
twitch.tv/cratonz
Feefee
Profile Joined November 2009
Canada556 Posts
April 29 2010 17:58 GMT
#73
On April 30 2010 02:54 Day[9] wrote:
Honestly, if you can sustain D+ on ICCUP, that's a pretty significant achievement when thinking about EVERY possible person who plays Starcraft. Most D+ players would thrash 95% of b.net players in 1v1s on reasonable maps. Now that we have Battle.net 2.0, EVERY SC2 player is in one place, so those D+ players really do deserve to be platinum, as they're still better than 95% of other players.

Therefore, time to go try to break 3k points! FIGHT FIGHT.


I'm glad you say that because that describes exactly my situation^^. And I felt bad being in plat.
olof
Profile Joined July 2009
Sweden254 Posts
April 29 2010 17:58 GMT
#74
On April 30 2010 02:57 Day[9] wrote:
I'm delighted that there's going to be a pro-division, a division for ze giganerds among us.

woo
Did you read my post or do you actually have some information about this? I'm trying to google it but can't find any source for it.
hi man O_O
Pyrrhuloxia
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
United States6700 Posts
April 29 2010 17:59 GMT
#75
On April 30 2010 02:57 Day[9] wrote:
Oh wow I forgot half my point,

So, I think the division system is completely reasonable right now. I have a friend who, honestly, is completely horrendous at RTS games. He was put into the copper division. However, there, he has great competition! It's amazing how often he messages me excited that he played a really epic, awesome, rewarding game. So, I'm curious if the silver/gold/bronze leaguers have a similar experience too! From what I've heard, it seems to be the case.

I'm delighted that there's going to be a pro-division, a division for ze giganerds among us.

Hmm I went to a ludum dare jam last weekend and the designers I met there were struggling a lot in the lower divisions and getting frustrated.
CurSeD
Profile Joined March 2009
Canada20 Posts
April 29 2010 18:01 GMT
#76
Agreed, I just entered beta and went straight up to plat with 5-0 in placement matches. Obviously I'm still a newb and will have an hard time there.
DragonDefonce
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
United States790 Posts
April 29 2010 18:04 GMT
#77
One thing I would like is to be placed for each race. I never play terran or zerg because I don't wanna drop down in rating and be faced with shitty players when I do play protoss. If i could be placed in plat when im playing toss and gold or silver with terran or zerg would be awesome.
Takkara
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2503 Posts
April 29 2010 18:05 GMT
#78
A lot of people worry far far far too much about where you get placed coming out of placement matches. Cheese all you want for 5 matches to get Platinum. Then you play people that your cheese doesn't work on, you lose again and again and again until you drop down. Then you either adapt and improve, or you just go on cheesing until you fall low enough where it works 50% of the time.

Stop worrying about where you go after 5 games after a reset, of course it's a crapshoot. But likely, release ladders will run a LOT longer than the beta ones do, so reset placement won't come up very often at all. So worry more about where you end up after like 50 games, or 100, not where you end up after 5. Then talk about whether you think you ended up in the proper place for your skill level.

If you're not where you think you should be. Tell Blizzard. They're asking for feedback on this ladder mechanic.
Gee gee gee gee baby baby baby
CTStalker
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
Canada9720 Posts
April 29 2010 18:05 GMT
#79
it depends heavily on who you play during your placement matches. i ran into some tough opponents and got stuck in silver (lol), and I was a C SC player. i think it was primarily due to the reset, though. since then i've moved into gold and i'm cruising through the gold division
By the way, my name is Funk. I am not of your world
Setz3R
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States455 Posts
April 29 2010 18:06 GMT
#80
On April 30 2010 02:58 olof wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 30 2010 02:57 Day[9] wrote:
I'm delighted that there's going to be a pro-division, a division for ze giganerds among us.

woo
Did you read my post or do you actually have some information about this? I'm trying to google it but can't find any source for it.


It's been confirmed a long time ago. I can't even remember the source, but you can use the search function on team liquid. Apparently, all the replays in the pro league will be uploaded online automatically. Etc etc...
twitch.tv/setz3r
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 17 18 19 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 46m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 478
JuggernautJason37
SpeCial 1
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 639
firebathero 84
Zeus 65
Trap 41
910 31
Dota 2
monkeys_forever337
Super Smash Bros
ArmadaUGS112
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4558
Liquid`Hasu2062
Other Games
summit1g5216
shahzam480
byalli423
C9.Mang0175
KnowMe137
UpATreeSC85
Trikslyr31
Railgan17
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV221
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream159
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 88
• Adnapsc2 13
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 37
• Azhi_Dahaki29
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Shiphtur292
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
2h 46m
Kung Fu Cup
13h 46m
Stellar Fest
15h 46m
The PondCast
1d 12h
OSC
1d 15h
Stellar Fest
1d 15h
OSC
2 days
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
[ Show More ]
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.