• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:03
CEST 01:03
KST 08:03
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8676 users

platinum isn't that good? - Page 6

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 19 Next All
genotyrant
Profile Joined April 2010
Cambodia46 Posts
April 29 2010 18:34 GMT
#101
I'm sure iccup will get involved in sc2 and the skill level can be changed from there
I dont use quotes
RumZ
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States956 Posts
April 29 2010 18:34 GMT
#102
There's a pro league that's going to be invitation and super competitive above platinum. If Blizzard wants to make platinum "competition and non-casuals" rather than the top 10% that's fine, as long as the Pro league extends a few more invitations to the more serious full time player.
Rikerr
Profile Joined April 2010
United States69 Posts
April 29 2010 18:36 GMT
#103
I think making more placement matches would work. Something like 10 or so and the more in a row you win the harder opponent they match for you. Have to get 10/10 to get high plat, 9/10 low plat, lower gold ect.
I think it would weed out a lot of the people that are in higher divisions that only got their cause they were matched vs easier opponents all 5 games.
We dont take kindly to folks that dont take kindley around here...
BeMannerDuPenner
Profile Blog Joined April 2004
Germany5638 Posts
April 29 2010 18:38 GMT
#104
On April 30 2010 03:30 GaMeOfFeAr wrote:
I agree with this thread. I'm not very good at all, highest was B in iCCup, and yet I recently reached number 1 in my platinum division just from massing games. But then again, this is beta. When the actual game comes out, I assume the skill distribution will be more apparent.


this is the perfect example of the wrong mindset.

B icc is like best 0.01% of all bw players. if you adapt to sc2 well and spam games you are most likely top 0.1% again in sc2.

esp since the pool of players consists of so freakin many terrible terrible player and just beeing up2date with current strats gives a huge edge.



compared to other teamliquid people its not something super special. compared to the rest of the playerbase its damn amazing.


i mean if i win 2 games more im like top 10 too in my plat division (but its fairly new. only like 5 days old). but geez i suck. i lose so many games to totally crappy players cause im bad. but when i see some of my silver/gold friendlist guys play i see that the skill difference is still very very noticable.
life of lively to live to life of full life thx to shield battery
deo.deo
Profile Joined April 2010
135 Posts
April 29 2010 18:39 GMT
#105
another problem is that all the users here are experienced with the game and comparing being platinum with pro-gaming.

But the percentage of people on TL.net are maybe 10-20% of the the SC2 beta players, and for the rest achieving silver is quite an effort. For example my brother and his friends are fairly new to RTS and are having a great but challenging time in Silver/Gold and it seems to work just fine.

But nonetheless I think there should be a fixed amount of platinum leagues and people just get promoted/demoted by result.
ghen
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States1356 Posts
April 29 2010 18:43 GMT
#106
On April 30 2010 02:57 Day[9] wrote:
Oh wow I forgot half my point,

So, I think the division system is completely reasonable right now. I have a friend who, honestly, is completely horrendous at RTS games. He was put into the copper division. However, there, he has great competition! It's amazing how often he messages me excited that he played a really epic, awesome, rewarding game. So, I'm curious if the silver/gold/bronze leaguers have a similar experience too! From what I've heard, it seems to be the case.

I'm delighted that there's going to be a pro-division, a division for ze giganerds among us.



I'm placed in mid-silver level and I feel the same way as your friend. I mainly have well balanced matches where I can see if I do well then I win. If I screw up then I lose. Every once in a while I'll get thrashed by a gold or completely own a bronze player but it definitely evens out very well. I like the matchmaking system in the middle of the field. It feels right.
3clipse
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
Canada2555 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-29 18:51:28
April 29 2010 18:44 GMT
#107
This perceived problem is caused by two things we are used to:

1. Starcraft being a closed system of elites. Even the average D player on iccup would have been really, really good at the game in its infancy. We're used to the bottom of the competitive barrel still being pretty decent and the top being near flawless. With this being a whole new game and having an influx of non-rts players, the bottom is awful and even the top is still learning what they're doing, albeit ahead of the curve. The true skill of the competitive community is finally being reflected against a terribad general public and I'm fine with this. It's a great self-esteem boost for a mediocre bw player to be in a "high" sc2 ranking.

2. We're used to a ladder system that rises in an extremely sharp pyramid. I'm not sure what the distribution between leagues is exactly, but it's sure flatter than the madness of iccup. We're used to the highest ranks signifying progamer status (olympic, A+, A) and even the mid-ranks only comprising 3% of the population and taking a lot of skill and dedication to achieve. Of course a 1200 platinum != a 2000 platinum. If you're only interested in the absolute highest level play, a benchmark can be set at ELO. Call 2200 points A if you want. It's all fucking semantics, a system to differentiate skill does exist.
Chairman Ray
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States11903 Posts
April 29 2010 18:49 GMT
#108
The ladder system is absolutely terrible. It places people randomly in a league and they have to work themselves up or down. If someone happens to be lucky and get in Plat, they can just stop playing and secure the spot. It should be like ICCUP where people work their way up. That way, we know who is ranked higher than who. There's no point to having a ranking system if people are just put randomly.
Amnesia
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States3818 Posts
April 29 2010 18:49 GMT
#109
For me, I was sorta struggling in plat. I'm probably bad though. T_T~
Antpile
Profile Joined March 2009
United States213 Posts
April 29 2010 18:51 GMT
#110
On April 30 2010 03:30 GaMeOfFeAr wrote:
I agree with this thread. I'm not very good at all, highest was B in iCCup, and yet I recently reached number 1 in my platinum division just from massing games.


B on iccup was not very good eh?

What i think a lot of you are forgetting is that iccup was VERY competitive and only the most hardcore even knew about it. Also, anyone playing on iccup were playing a game that had been out a very long time. There were very few people on iccup who hadn't been playing SC for at least a few years.

The ranks below plat are to look out for the 99% of normal people out there that would have never played on iccup at all. Just think of platinum as the iccup league and then worry about your ranking within plat.

I think gold should be what casuals strive for, while the hardcore should be in plat striving for pro league or just high rank plat.
ltiy
Profile Joined April 2010
107 Posts
April 29 2010 18:52 GMT
#111
I felt the same way as the OP, but there's some excellent points made in this thread for the current system. With the addition of the pro league, the truly great players will rise out of platinum and the bnet 2.0 ladder should have a good thing going.
Wr3k
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Canada2533 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-29 18:52:52
April 29 2010 18:52 GMT
#112
I don't think its that bad tbh, I mean theres always going to be a big difference between being in plat and being in the top 5 of one of the better divisions. Honestly who cares, you are matches purely on ELO anyways.
Swiftice
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States35 Posts
April 29 2010 18:54 GMT
#113
Im currently top 10 in like the last plat dev(64?) and i was only d+ rank in sc so it really is too easy if someone like me gets into plat easy =( sorry to say it.
selboN
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United States2523 Posts
April 29 2010 18:56 GMT
#114
The Division system is fine, especially for lower ranked players. Platinum IS bad if you're good. Most platinum contenders are the D/D+ people that you smashed. So if you're decent at this game and play it at all, you'll be high up in your platinum division.
"That's what happens when you're using a mouse made out of glass!" -Tasteless (Referring to ZergBong)
deo.deo
Profile Joined April 2010
135 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-29 18:57:29
April 29 2010 18:56 GMT
#115
"Im currently top 10 in like the last plat dev(64?) and i was only d+ rank in sc so it really is too easy if someone like me gets into plat easy =( sorry to say it."

no its not because like someone stated above 70% of the beta player dont even know what iccup is..
CheAse
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Canada919 Posts
April 29 2010 18:58 GMT
#116
My friend who was a solid e in iccup is in plat. I don't know what the % of people are in each div but i think that it should be changed so its a higher standard.

Have to keep in mind that theres a lot of inactive accounts in lower leagues though
SCV good to go sir
Islandsnake
Profile Joined April 2009
United States679 Posts
April 29 2010 18:58 GMT
#117
Well try to remember that it used to be 10 placement matches, and not 5 - and it will probably go back to 10 again. And remember that match making will be better with the more people playing...

I mean at this point it doesn't even go into who is better...its just who got lucky in the first 5 matches... not only that but if you have a good build you can do vs one race you can go far with that.

I think we should hold back until release to say platinum sucks
Bang!
Jenbu
Profile Joined October 2009
United States115 Posts
April 29 2010 18:58 GMT
#118
i think the reason why there are so many people in plat is because of how easy it is to move up ranks as opposed to move down.
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
April 29 2010 19:02 GMT
#119
On April 30 2010 03:18 spinesheath wrote:
But I don't promote adding 5 new leagues. I'd just like the number of platinum players to be smaller. That way you would know that someone is pretty good if he is in there. It's not that important to have a fine granularity at the lower levels.

I would argue that granularity is more important at the lower levels, simply because of the visibility of the players that are actually good. You don't need the game to tell you that Idra or Nony are Platinum. You know that they're good and having a division that's small enough that all the players in it are good players that you'd know by name anyway is worthless. The granularity matters for the lower-mid level players that want a sense of what they're up against, and aren't good enough yet to feel their own improvement, and need a measure based on who they're playing against.
Moderator
FabledIntegral
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States9232 Posts
April 29 2010 19:09 GMT
#120
On April 30 2010 02:12 Ighox wrote:
I'd prefer that they made the other leagues matter more instead.
Copper+Bronze = D
Silver = C
Gold = B
Plat = A

Not exactly like that, but same point, the highest league should be difficult to get into and it shouldn't be where the majority hangs out.
Right now it's more like Copper/Bronze/Silver/Gold = D-/D
Platinum = Anything above D+.
Might change for launch though so I don't even like commenting that right now :p


Most people that play BW on bnet are going to be worse than a D-/D Iccup player.

I would suggest something like Silver would be at ~D/D+ level, having Bronze be around D/D- and anything below D- being Copper. The amount of players between B- to Olympic on Iccup are probably less than the amount of D- to D+ players. You could have Gold be around C- to B- and plat be B to A ish. Just my 2 cents. Remember, you'll still have low level plat (around B) and high level plat (A) so it wouldn't be a huge issue, I just think low level plat should be > than high level gold.
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 19 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 57m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ViBE110
CosmosSc2 31
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 584
Artosis 528
910 27
Dota 2
monkeys_forever495
League of Legends
JimRising 548
Counter-Strike
minikerr13
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5583
Liquid`Hasu1202
Other Games
summit1g7528
shahzam560
C9.Mang0265
ArmadaUGS90
Trikslyr41
ZombieGrub25
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick169
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream160
[ Show 9 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 138
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
57m
Kung Fu Cup
11h 57m
Stellar Fest
13h 57m
The PondCast
1d 10h
OSC
1d 13h
Stellar Fest
1d 13h
OSC
2 days
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
[ Show More ]
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.