• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:32
CEST 00:32
KST 07:32
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon110
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8370 users

platinum isn't that good? - Page 7

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 9 19 Next All
agleed.agleed
Profile Joined March 2010
Germany110 Posts
April 29 2010 19:10 GMT
#121
it's all about the points. with 100+ games, your ELO is pretty close to the points which are displayed ingame. if you want to get above 1500, you have to be really good, because that's right around the mark where you lose more for losing than you win for winning (against equally skilled opponents), so massgaming wont help anymore.
Befree
Profile Joined April 2010
695 Posts
April 29 2010 19:15 GMT
#122
Yes to the poll. 5 games is obviously a terribly small sample of a players skill. I'm guessing this is for beta purposes though.

I don't understand the other part of this discussion, though. I generally have judged people's skill in the past through comparison to other people's skill. I had thought goodness and badness was defined by a player's skill relative to other players. In this mind set, I have just naturally assumed the top ranks to define what is good. So this is why I find it silly to say that the top 10% (or whatever top % you choose) are bad. Your standard has no validity if it is not based in objective statistical data.
Ironclown
Profile Joined October 2009
United States73 Posts
April 29 2010 19:16 GMT
#123
I just worked my way up the ladder from Bronze (had amazing opponents in placement matches T_T )
to rank 50 Platinum.

My first day I was placed in Plat because I got all noobs during placements.

I feel a lot more accomplished having worked my way up to plat instead of just being stuck there.
I suck.
AmstAff
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
Germany949 Posts
April 29 2010 19:17 GMT
#124
i dont really care. i mean if they want, they oculd make only 1 platin league and yiz would still have the points. so whats the problem with newbies in platinum? if they suck, they will lose points and drop ranks. i dont get the problem, is it because people cant say "hey im platinum progamer" ???
after 2 years i reached it = marine icon
alfybet
Profile Joined January 2010
United States57 Posts
April 29 2010 19:17 GMT
#125
On April 30 2010 03:44 3clipse wrote:
This perceived problem is caused by two things we are used to:

1. Starcraft being a closed system of elites. Even the average D player on iccup would have been really, really good at the game in its infancy. We're used to the bottom of the competitive barrel still being pretty decent and the top being near flawless. With this being a whole new game and having an influx of non-rts players, the bottom is awful and even the top is still learning what they're doing, albeit ahead of the curve. The true skill of the competitive community is finally being reflected against a terribad general public and I'm fine with this. It's a great self-esteem boost for a mediocre bw player to be in a "high" sc2 ranking.

2. We're used to a ladder system that rises in an extremely sharp pyramid. I'm not sure what the distribution between leagues is exactly, but it's sure flatter than the madness of iccup. We're used to the highest ranks signifying progamer status (olympic, A+, A) and even the mid-ranks only comprising 3% of the population and taking a lot of skill and dedication to achieve. Of course a 1200 platinum != a 2000 platinum. If you're only interested in the absolute highest level play, a benchmark can be set at ELO. Call 2200 points A if you want. It's all fucking semantics, a system to differentiate skill does exist.


Exactly. The ladder is fine for the most part, maybe the plat % can be decreased a little.

The point is, people at TL have been used to a competitive-only ladder, whereas SC2 now has to include the other 90% of the population. If you really feel better with the ICCup way, just make some arbitrary divisions in plat rating: (2400+ = A, 2200-2400 = B, etc). Where A is the current skill ceiling (which is low right now).
shiftY803
Profile Joined April 2010
200 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-29 19:21:50
April 29 2010 19:18 GMT
#126
I don't know what all this talk is about pyramids... so I am going to go a bit nerdy on you. Statistics is sort of what I do. Anyway...

The basis of most game-oriented rating systems today is a logistic distribution. The modernized FIDE chess rating and the USCF for example assume that players' performances can be approximated this way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logistic_distribution

Now imagine you want to make a platinum league that is the top of 5 leagues, and it will encompass everyone who's performance is in the top 20% of players. Clearly, the players that are wayyyyy out there to the right are going to absolutely crush the players in, say, the 80th-percentile.

Using chess as an example, it is the equivalent of a FIDE International or Grand Master playing a USCF Master. Now, the USCF master is by no stretch of the imagination bad, but his chance of winning against Magnus Carlsen is still almost zero. He (or she) is a strong player, but not world-class strong. Starcraft is no different. Unless you want to make 100 leagues, you are never going to get that top 1% or 0.5% of players together by themselves. Or I guess you could do invite-only leagues... but god only knows how they would set that up.
live without appeal. ~ camus
Half
Profile Joined March 2010
United States2554 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-29 19:23:03
April 29 2010 19:18 GMT
#127
I think the issue is that blizzard doesn't have a distribution curve. Platinum should be the top 5%, but its literally the top 20% :/

imo

Copper-Bottom (0-30%), 30%
Bronze-Middle-Bottom (30%-60%), 30%
Silver-Middle-top (60%-80%), 20%
Gold-Lower Top (80%-95%), 15%
Silver-Top (5%)



As it stands its like 20/20/20/20/20

Which is dumb.
Too Busy to Troll!
nTooMuch
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States127 Posts
April 29 2010 19:20 GMT
#128
I think it should level out eventually. As more of the weaker platnium players continue to lose to better ones, they will drop down to gold. Usually I have a healthy mix of easier opponents and better opponents.
ROOTdrewbie
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada1392 Posts
April 29 2010 19:21 GMT
#129
its not a big deal imo, if you are at the bottom skill level of platinum you will be matched agaisnt gold rank players a lot... isn't that how it works? Its not like being in platinum league automatically places you agaisnt all the 2000 pts players
www.root-gaming.com
Grumbels
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Netherlands7032 Posts
April 29 2010 19:24 GMT
#130
I really think you can't do league placement by percentages. The problem is that a very large amount of people don't have a competitive mindset at all and can't be ranked according to skill-level because they don't play to win and are clueless about the game. I also think that only for the highest league besides the pro-league (since that will have only a very minor amount of people) the league should be very small, so that it's a real accomplishment.
Well, now I tell you, I never seen good come o' goodness yet. Him as strikes first is my fancy; dead men don't bite; them's my views--amen, so be it.
Sentient
Profile Joined April 2010
United States437 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-29 19:25:31
April 29 2010 19:24 GMT
#131
I don't consider myself a great player, but it was fairly trivial to get myself near the top of my platinum league. I have terrible mechanics, and I can't micro or multitask to save my life, but I do understand how the game works. Lately all I've been doing is amassing zealots and sentries and doing a timing push when +1 attack finishes, and it's given me a >50% win rate. I've come across many lower rated players, even some bronze players who have been quite decent, but all that seems to differentiate platinum from the rest is that platinum players pay attention how the game works.

IMO there are simply too many leagues. Players are either terrible at the game (don't even saturate minerals), decent (build an army and attack), good (understand the game mechanics and the deeper strategy), or great (proficient at micro/macro balance and multitasking). I haven't found anyone yet that falls outside these categories. If I could redo it, I would have Bronze/Silver/Gold/Platinum, where Platinum is the equivalent of the pro league.
ItsBigfoot
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States432 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-29 19:29:00
April 29 2010 19:28 GMT
#132
gold should actually matter, I dropped one placement match due to a comp crash, wound up getting out of gold in like 8 games just doing immortal pushes, gold kids are bad.

why would they call it gold if all these kids aren't good?
Kal Fighting!
s2pid_loser
Profile Joined March 2010
United States699 Posts
April 29 2010 19:29 GMT
#133
yes its like the placement matches arent even viewing skill jus seeing if u win or not
so its easy to end up in the wrong league from ur initial placement win/losses
Et Ducit Mundum Per Luce
shinosai
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States1577 Posts
April 29 2010 19:29 GMT
#134
On April 30 2010 04:28 ItsBigfoot wrote:
gold should actually matter, I dropped one placement match due to a comp crash, wound up getting out of gold in like 8 games just doing immortal pushes, gold kids are bad.

why would they call it gold if all these kids aren't good?


Because they are gold in comparison to other players, not to your mythological world of perfection.
Be versatile, know when to retreat, and carry a big gun.
Haiy
Profile Joined February 2010
Germany32 Posts
April 29 2010 19:30 GMT
#135
blizz said, that there will be a semi- pro league(league without invite but above plat).
sry, i did not read the whole thread but it seems like nobody mentioned it yet.
Kralic
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Canada2628 Posts
April 29 2010 19:30 GMT
#136
On April 30 2010 04:28 ItsBigfoot wrote:
gold should actually matter, I dropped one placement match due to a comp crash, wound up getting out of gold in like 8 games just doing immortal pushes, gold kids are bad.

why would they call it gold if all these kids aren't good?


Because 1000 elo players are good? Obviously if you did so well the system is working since you got out of gold asap.
Brood War forever!
Chairman Ray
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States11903 Posts
April 29 2010 19:34 GMT
#137
On April 30 2010 04:28 ItsBigfoot wrote:
gold should actually matter, I dropped one placement match due to a comp crash, wound up getting out of gold in like 8 games just doing immortal pushes, gold kids are bad.

why would they call it gold if all these kids aren't good?


When scaling ICCUP and Bnet, a D- is equivalent to about 1500 ELO platinum I'd estimate. Blizzard wants the game to appeal to all gamers, so they have to give seemingly good ranks to casual players that maybe play one game a week.
Reborn8u
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States1761 Posts
April 29 2010 19:35 GMT
#138
I think there is some issue with matching people in different leagues, I'm bronze and I often match gold players. So I'm willing to bet ppl from platinum are matching as low as silver. Maybe it's just the points system that needs a tweak. Other games that have a worldwide rank system seem to handle this kind of thing a little better.
:)
Disastorm
Profile Joined January 2008
United States922 Posts
April 29 2010 19:36 GMT
#139
Is ladder even important in the first place? I think most console competitive games don't have ladders and they do just fine. I think the most important things are just tournaments and matchmaking. For example, do players in south korea become famous due to their ladder ranking or just due to them playing well?
"Don't worry so much man. There won't be any more zergs left to QQ. Lots of QQ about TvT is incoming though I bet." - Vrok 9/21/10
Vattilega
Profile Joined April 2010
United States52 Posts
April 29 2010 19:37 GMT
#140
Platinum is not the top 20%, it doesnt even have as many divisions as any other leagues. The PROBLEM now is that, Those that are skilled RTS players are more likely to find their way into the Beta. Once the game is released you'll be blown away by the sheer size of gold and below. And yes, I agree there are so many Plat players but thats only because its the beta and people havnt fully figured out the game yet, hell, i did not see 1 damn templar in sivler, 1 burrowed w/ moving roach in gold, and hardly any nukes in low plat. Really i feel like the entire ladder is just a bunch of forum reading noobs who go marauder/stalker/roach EVERY game. It has to be true because i know i dont belong in plat, my apm is a measly 55. The leagues are full of conventional laymen competiting tosee who can be the most conventional the fastest.
master league
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 9 19 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 28m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SpeCial 121
ViBE71
CosmosSc2 1
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 585
Artosis 360
910 30
Dota 2
monkeys_forever483
League of Legends
JimRising 474
Counter-Strike
minikerr12
Super Smash Bros
ArmadaUGS103
PPMD40
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5562
Liquid`Hasu1457
Other Games
summit1g8029
shahzam528
byalli379
C9.Mang0219
Trikslyr41
ZombieGrub15
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream168
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 93
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki41
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
1h 28m
Kung Fu Cup
12h 28m
Stellar Fest
14h 28m
The PondCast
1d 11h
OSC
1d 14h
Stellar Fest
1d 14h
OSC
2 days
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
[ Show More ]
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.