• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:29
CEST 22:29
KST 05:29
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon110
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8794 users

platinum isn't that good? - Page 17

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 15 16 17 18 19 Next All
leetchaos
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States395 Posts
May 01 2010 01:27 GMT
#321
With persistent accounts (no resetting) and matchmaking, the iccup ladder system seems near flawless to me. I just want to play people who are the same skill as me. A system like iccup would facilitate that best.
sprockets2000
Profile Joined April 2010
5 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-01 03:37:06
May 01 2010 03:35 GMT
#322
YEs there is an FING problem, I am a gold player #4 and im playing a plat player right now first one ive played, and ive defeated him i have 90% of my bases no peons though and no air, he has a command center in the corner of the map and has been afk for like 2 hours he just comes back and says ill bbiab WTF this is stupid and in my opinion this dude should get banned sure you can lift off but i think blizz would agree this is a gross misuse of the mechanic


edit: heh sorry for the rant
billyX333
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United States1360 Posts
May 01 2010 03:45 GMT
#323
IMO (as many have said) Plat should be very difficult to get into
I think they should require far more than 5 games to get into plat league
Although it may be tedious at first but I think it would be best for creating a more competitive upper league w/o so many waste of time games

Perhaps if we go 5-0 in our placement matches, maximum placement would be gold and be required to be re-evaluated after 25 games
(this will be better for release while in beta it may be annoying since there are more frequent resets)
Kiarip
Profile Joined August 2008
United States1835 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-01 03:55:21
May 01 2010 03:47 GMT
#324
Rhodium is the only metal more expensive per mass than platinum.

Then you also have gold Iridium, Osmium, Ruthenium, and etcs.
Prometheus2011
Profile Joined March 2010
Kazakhstan76 Posts
May 01 2010 04:30 GMT
#325
I'm in the Amex black card division.

You know, the like 5 pound thick-ass black card?

yah...
I intend to live forever... so far so good.
Batssa
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States154 Posts
May 01 2010 04:48 GMT
#326
This just seems like a horrible-horrible thread. There are alot of people out there that don't visit teamliquid to get up-to-date information about new sc2 strats everyday. I've been plat since the beginning of beta, but I don't think anything is wrong with the system at hand. I wouldn't mind a change, but I think the system fits, and when the game is released it will be fine. Why is everyone complaining? Half the people in plat here prob won't be in plat a month after the release of the game with the influx of new players.
Kinky
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States4126 Posts
May 01 2010 04:54 GMT
#327
On May 01 2010 13:48 Batssa wrote:
This just seems like a horrible-horrible thread. There are alot of people out there that don't visit teamliquid to get up-to-date information about new sc2 strats everyday. I've been plat since the beginning of beta, but I don't think anything is wrong with the system at hand. I wouldn't mind a change, but I think the system fits, and when the game is released it will be fine. Why is everyone complaining? Half the people in plat here prob won't be in plat a month after the release of the game with the influx of new players.

Actually, with so many new players entering at the release, the skill level required to get into plat will be lowered a lot more. Why? Because of all the people who will buy the game, there's going to be a LOT more new players than seasoned RTS players, filling up the lower leagues and pushing everyone else into plat. With the system as it is now, more noobs make it easier for any general person to get into plat.

I have a friend who was silver before the last reset, and after the reset, he got into platinum because he said his placement matches were so much easier.
Batssa
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States154 Posts
May 01 2010 04:59 GMT
#328
Actually, with so many new players entering at the release, the skill level required to get into plat will be lowered a lot more. Why? Because of all the people who will buy the game, there's going to be a LOT more new players than seasoned RTS players, filling up the lower leagues and pushing everyone else into plat. With the system as it is now, more noobs make it easier for any general person to get into plat.

I have a friend who was silver before the last reset, and after the reset, he got into platinum because he said his placement matches were so much easier.


I did say a month after release, maybe give it two to three months. Plat will include players that are really good, and players that aren't so great... but just better than the tier below them. I don't get why everyone is up in arms about this.
cartoon]x
Profile Joined March 2010
United States606 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-01 05:05:35
May 01 2010 05:04 GMT
#329
When the game is released to the masses, the skill level of platinum will drop. That is obvious and shouldn't require an explanation. Also, it will stay this way for much longer than 1 or 2 months. Probably more like 1 or 2 years, maybe longer.
It is not enough to conquer; one must learn to seduce.
Redding
Profile Joined April 2010
Australia5 Posts
May 01 2010 05:14 GMT
#330
This is my first RTS, and only played the beta for a few weeks, started in bronze and now in plat, so there is clearly something wrong. I think recently its been alot easier to get into plat because of all the new players getting into the beta. But still..
WorkersOfTheWorld
Profile Joined April 2010
United States619 Posts
May 01 2010 05:27 GMT
#331
On May 01 2010 13:30 Prometheus2011 wrote:
I'm in the Amex black card division.

You know, the like 5 pound thick-ass black card?

yah...


Nu uh.

Samwise: You don't want to play Dustin [Browder]. He can't even beat the UI, let alone the AI. -
krowe
Profile Joined April 2010
United States184 Posts
May 01 2010 05:29 GMT
#332
yeah I realized this, it took me about 30 games total from just starting out and I am now in platinum.
chung
Profile Joined April 2010
Korea (South)43 Posts
May 01 2010 08:22 GMT
#333
When the actual game is released, I expect platinum league to be much more competitive. Right now, you can easily get top 10 plat with just one good cheese B.O. and maybe 40 APM as long as you play enough.
Lighioana
Profile Joined March 2010
Norway466 Posts
May 01 2010 08:31 GMT
#334
I don't think we should judge it on how it is now.
And forgive me nothing for I truly meant it all
Sgt.Fluffy
Profile Joined May 2010
United States15 Posts
May 01 2010 12:24 GMT
#335
I think the ranking system is pretty legit. I've always been ranked well in 1v1 and generally have around a 1:1 win:loss ratio. Its not perfect though, for example me and my buddy where able to rank platinum 2v2 even though I'm not all that good and he is actually pretty bad. The promotion thing is a little weird too, at one point I was in a gold 2v2 league with a buddy and we were not doing so well, sitting down at around the 80's, and then we got our shit together, tweaked our start a little, won like 5 games in a row, got up to place 30 or something, and then got demoted to silver???? Overall I think its better than like any other internet match up system so far though.
Cloaked Banshees LOL
Klockan3
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
Sweden2866 Posts
May 01 2010 19:27 GMT
#336
I think that the league system isn't there for the better players but for the bad players. A noob will basically see it as it being 4 skill levels, he might start out in copper and after a short bit of playing he ends up in bronze! That is one third of the way to platinum!!! to him that would seem like a huge leap which is good for getting people hooked. Once they are hooked they can live with working for their rankups but at first it is good to have this handhelding.

Everyone decent will end up in platinum, but seriously do any of you guys really need this? I mean, the copper->bronze->silver->gold->platinum is basically the steps a noob have to climb before he can play, a tutorial if you will.
iSTime
Profile Joined November 2006
1579 Posts
May 01 2010 19:34 GMT
#337
On May 01 2010 06:39 Mr.E wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 01 2010 06:23 PJA wrote:
What difference does it make? As one of the top people in my platinum division I've played almost exclusively against players who are good. I've played husky a few times, mio twice, and a bunch of players who are unknown to me who are way better than those people and who crushed me. I've also played a few games where I completely decimate my opponent, but those games are rare. Almost all of my games are with other people who are at least challenging and I have a decent chance against (i.e., my winrate against them is probably between 40%-60%). Who cares if there are a bunch of terrible players in platinum that I won't ever play against? It doesn't harm me, and it lets them feel good about themselves.

The significance there is that leagues themselves should hold some meaning to the competitive player. Casual players should feel good about getting into silver.


Competitive players can find meaning in their rating within platinum. Do competitive players really need blizzard to put them in a different league to feel good about themselves? I would be more satisfied personally with just a straight up elo rating system and no rating divisions, but casual players obviously want different divisions.
www.infinityseven.net
jstar
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada568 Posts
May 01 2010 19:35 GMT
#338
On May 01 2010 12:35 sprockets2000 wrote:
YEs there is an FING problem, I am a gold player #4 and im playing a plat player right now first one ive played, and ive defeated him i have 90% of my bases no peons though and no air, he has a command center in the corner of the map and has been afk for like 2 hours he just comes back and says ill bbiab WTF this is stupid and in my opinion this dude should get banned sure you can lift off but i think blizz would agree this is a gross misuse of the mechanic


edit: heh sorry for the rant


lol you didn't win, and he didn't lose anymore than you did.

It's a draw.
Rabbet
Profile Joined December 2009
Canada404 Posts
May 01 2010 19:47 GMT
#339
I agree, I did my placement matches and went 2-3. I didn't realize the hotkeys would be so different and it took a few games to figure things out. I haven't played many games but I am going against platinum players right now that are really bad. One protoss tryed to sneak a probe into my base after my scv was already building my depot, then when I killed in his warping pylon he went outside my base to set up a cannon "contain". Only problem was my base had 2 entrances and my scouting scv built a factory in his base. His strategy is a grade 2 strat and there is no chance of success with this in broodwar or sc2. He was ranked ~40 in a platinum division.
Level10Peon
Profile Joined April 2010
United States59 Posts
May 01 2010 20:48 GMT
#340
Many people here are, frankly, being elitist. Others have said this, but people must realize that anybody who played on ICCUP was at least in the top 10% of BW players. Not to mention that the way ICCUP was designed drove newbies away. When I first got into ICCUP, I was owned by people ranked D-, needless to say I just waited for SCII. Now though, I started in copper, but have made my way to the top of bronze, and I am now on the verge of hitting silver. In ICCUP, gaining rank was nearly impossible, even after I played +300 games in a 3 month time period. I never had competitive matches in ICCUP, now I actually have epic and fun games. Remember, SCII is not all about the top players.
Prev 1 15 16 17 18 19 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 31m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 535
UpATreeSC 106
JuggernautJason16
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 731
Dewaltoss 119
firebathero 90
Zeus 70
Trap 37
910 32
NaDa 29
Bale 28
ToSsGirL 23
Dota 2
monkeys_forever227
Counter-Strike
edward185
Super Smash Bros
ArmadaUGS105
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3127
Liquid`Hasu2234
Other Games
summit1g6007
B2W.Neo635
Beastyqt602
shahzam409
byalli398
ToD199
C9.Mang0160
KnowMe154
TKL 102
Railgan15
Chillindude14
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV254
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream167
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 64
• Adnapsc2 13
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki29
• blackmanpl 29
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Shiphtur283
• WagamamaTV268
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
3h 31m
Kung Fu Cup
14h 31m
Stellar Fest
16h 31m
Stellar Fest
16h 31m
Stellar Fest
16h 31m
The PondCast
1d 13h
OSC
1d 16h
Stellar Fest
1d 16h
OSC
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.