• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:17
CEST 10:17
KST 17:17
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)31Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder BW General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work?
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9277 users

platinum isn't that good? - Page 16

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All
zomgzergrush
Profile Joined August 2008
United States923 Posts
April 30 2010 20:51 GMT
#301
On May 01 2010 05:40 Dromar wrote:
I thought at first it might be to make casual players not feel like they suck as bad, but being placed in Copper league is no different than having an ELO of 325 when players start with 1000.

It just makes no sense to me.

Because metals are shiny and people like shiny things more than small numbers.
Bronze skipping straight to Diamond in 40 games retail release. Bnet 2.0 ladder really takes it's sweet time to think about that league placement.
TossFloss *
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Canada606 Posts
April 30 2010 20:54 GMT
#302
D+ outranks ~66% of ICCUP. Source: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=99016

Blizzard needs to either slice off the top 25-30% of Platinum into another league (pro league?) OR implement some regular re-shuffling of divisions to evenly redistribute the top 30% of platinum players across divisions.
TL Android App Open Source http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=265090
Razor[cF]
Profile Joined April 2010
United States46 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-30 21:04:58
April 30 2010 21:03 GMT
#303
We all play starcraft for fun, and most of us TLers play for the competition, we wouldn't care about this site if we didn't. I'm sure that we would like to think that we are in the top 10% and that we should be the only ones in a specific league because a lot of people in lower plat just don't seem like D+ players in ICCup.

I think that all players should get a chance to get their butt utterly destroyed by a top plat player just so they know how far they have to go to really be good. The only way to get better at the game is to play people better than you. Because we are on the top end of the curve, we feel like we shouldn't be playing chobo newbs, and we should only be grouped with the best, and play with the best.

I enjoy a game where I get my ass kicked, I add that person to my friends list, and they help me improve my game. It's happened a few times, and its really improved my gameplay. I have done the same thing with a few people who I completely destroyed, and they are getting better, and have more fun playing the game now. If the ranks were more isolated, this probably wouldn't be happening so much.

Regardless, once you get to top level play, you just play against the top players in custom games anyways because you have to hammer SPECIFIC techs, timings, and BOs out vs specific other tech timings and BOs. You can't practice that stuff against random platnium ladder players.

That said, we definitely need a few of non-placement grades that are achievement based (not the game achievements, score achievements) after platinum. Hopefully, these top non-placement grades still pairs you up with people who are platinum, so you can have more social experience with players, because camaraderie is important in a game like SC2.

Help a fellow newbie plat out, teach him how to play so you and the rest of us can play against more highly skilled players.

Nuclear Launch Detected!
Dromar
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
United States2145 Posts
April 30 2010 21:05 GMT
#304
On May 01 2010 05:50 crate wrote:
I despise ICCUP's ladder system.

The bottom is way too clogged: there is too much skill variance among D-level players. Part of this is the problem that everyone starts at D so you get people who aren't actually D level stomping on people who are. Thankfully this is largely only a problem at the start of each season. Even without that though, there's ridiculous skill variance at D level. Now, maybe there's this same degree of skill variance at other levels; I wouldn't know because I'm D, but the fact that I can't log on ICCUP and expect to get a reasonably competitive game is a lot of why I stopped playing BW. I also think that there are just way too many players at D level (someone posted stats some time ago showing nearly 50% of all accounts with games played are D-level, and well over 50% are either D or below).

Admittedly this would be solved by a good matchmaking system that differentiates among players in the same rank better (whereas ICCUP has zero matchmaking system). ICCUP's ranking is not a good way to do this though, because:

You rank up if you win 1/3 of your games at D level on maps of the week. ICCUP rewards mass gaming far more than it rewards actually being good until you get to higher ranks. This leads to the interesting conclusion that anyone who belongs at D level (wins 50% of the time against D level players) actually isn't D-level ... if everyone just massed games you'd have everyone ranking up until you have almost no one at D or D+ or anywhere until you hit the rank where you need 50% winrate to stabilize.

I've always thought that people just played on ICCUP because it's all there was. I've never thought it was a good ladder.


That's true.

Mass gaming will get you up to B- before you actually have to win half your games. Then with map of the week I think you can squeeze a bit more out too.

And I guess I didn't mention this in my post before, but I do like the auto-matchmaking to place players in an approximate rank from the beginning.
Inhumoff
Profile Joined April 2010
Norway28 Posts
April 30 2010 21:08 GMT
#305
just got my key

after 1 hour practice on the very easy ai
i go 4-0 placement atm and im baaad, really

average apm peaked in game 4 with 41..first game i was under 30 avg

wonder if im gonna end up in platinum and loose everything now
unreal
Rucky
Profile Joined February 2008
United States717 Posts
April 30 2010 21:12 GMT
#306
The highest rank w/e it is, platinum or if they make a new one, should not be part of placing. If you get 5-0, you should be placed in the 2nd to top rank, gold for now. Everyone needs to play to get into platinum or the top. It just makes more sense that way so you won't see at bunch of 5-0's in the platinum ladder.
Beyond the Game
Mr.E
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States434 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-30 21:16:08
April 30 2010 21:13 GMT
#307
I just don't want the entire ladder system minus 5% to cater only to the casual player. Competitive players should have multiple leagues. Division size should be increase significantly and/or more leagues should be added, among other major changes. If they indeed want this to be THE E-sport, they are going to have to give the players who treat it as such their own distinguished 'channels' within the ladder system. The best way to do that aside from tournaments (which Blizzard damn well better be planning ) seems to be to give them more exclusive leagues.
Looking for top-tier practice partners, especially Z; PM me
zomgzergrush
Profile Joined August 2008
United States923 Posts
April 30 2010 21:15 GMT
#308
On May 01 2010 05:50 crate wrote:
I despise ICCUP's ladder system.

The bottom is way too clogged: there is too much skill variance among D-level players. Part of this is the problem that everyone starts at D so you get people who aren't actually D level stomping on people who are. Thankfully this is largely only a problem at the start of each season. Even without that though, there's ridiculous skill variance at D level. Now, maybe there's this same degree of skill variance at other levels; I wouldn't know because I'm D, but the fact that I can't log on ICCUP and expect to get a reasonably competitive game is a lot of why I stopped playing BW. I also think that there are just way too many players at D level (someone posted stats some time ago showing nearly 50% of all accounts with games played are D-level, and well over 50% are either D or below).

Admittedly this would be solved by a good matchmaking system that differentiates among players in the same rank better (whereas ICCUP has zero matchmaking system). ICCUP's ranking is not a good way to do this though, because:

You rank up if you win 1/3 of your games at D level on maps of the week. ICCUP rewards mass gaming far more than it rewards actually being good until you get to higher ranks. This leads to the interesting conclusion that anyone who belongs at D level (wins 50% of the time against D level players) actually isn't D-level ... if everyone just massed games you'd have everyone ranking up until you have almost no one at D or D+ or anywhere until you hit the rank where you need 50% winrate to stabilize.

I've always thought that people just played on ICCUP because it's all there was. I've never thought it was a good ladder.


Like I said, factor in the placement matches + single account per key + no clearstats and suddenly the 9999 koreans spamming new accounts grinding builds at D level are gone.
Bronze skipping straight to Diamond in 40 games retail release. Bnet 2.0 ladder really takes it's sweet time to think about that league placement.
CoL_Fuehrer
Profile Joined August 2009
Russian Federation124 Posts
April 30 2010 21:16 GMT
#309
i agree with the decision to make the plat and gold devision harder to get into, forcing population of silver and copper increase
LZGamer "I can get better at starcraft anytime but as for Idra he cannot change his face"
Bibdy
Profile Joined March 2010
United States3481 Posts
April 30 2010 21:16 GMT
#310
Yeah, seeing entire Platinum divisions filled with people at 5-0 is a load of crap.
RyanRushia
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2748 Posts
April 30 2010 21:18 GMT
#311
On May 01 2010 06:12 Rucky wrote:
The highest rank w/e it is, platinum or if they make a new one, should not be part of placing. If you get 5-0, you should be placed in the 2nd to top rank, gold for now. Everyone needs to play to get into platinum or the top. It just makes more sense that way so you won't see at bunch of 5-0's in the platinum ladder.


this, i like the fact of having to earn your way into platinum via ladder, going 5-0 in placement is way too easy
I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free. | coL.Ryan | www.twitter.com/coL_RyanR
iSTime
Profile Joined November 2006
1579 Posts
April 30 2010 21:23 GMT
#312
What difference does it make? As one of the top people in my platinum division I've played almost exclusively against players who are good. I've played husky a few times, mio twice, and a bunch of players who are unknown to me who are way better than those people and who crushed me. I've also played a few games where I completely decimate my opponent, but those games are rare. Almost all of my games are with other people who are at least challenging and I have a decent chance against (i.e., my winrate against them is probably between 40%-60%). Who cares if there are a bunch of terrible players in platinum that I won't ever play against? It doesn't harm me, and it lets them feel good about themselves.
www.infinityseven.net
iSTime
Profile Joined November 2006
1579 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-30 21:28:55
April 30 2010 21:28 GMT
#313
EDIT: Mistake
www.infinityseven.net
Inhumoff
Profile Joined April 2010
Norway28 Posts
April 30 2010 21:29 GMT
#314
platinum division 51 rank 9.... almost only 5-0 players there

damn this last game he left almost at once when my scout got to his base, all the other 4 was 30 minute ones

now i must prepare to loose alot and jump down to gold pretty quick

cant be good with just 5 placement matches when even i can do 5.0 !
unreal
fantomex
Profile Joined June 2009
United States313 Posts
April 30 2010 21:30 GMT
#315
I think the problem is Bronze/Copper players aren't likely to play much, so it feels very top heavy. So user distribution should look like a pyramid, and the games played should come out roughly equal across all leagues.
Replay or GTFO
Mr.E
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States434 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-04-30 21:40:52
April 30 2010 21:39 GMT
#316
On May 01 2010 06:23 PJA wrote:
What difference does it make? As one of the top people in my platinum division I've played almost exclusively against players who are good. I've played husky a few times, mio twice, and a bunch of players who are unknown to me who are way better than those people and who crushed me. I've also played a few games where I completely decimate my opponent, but those games are rare. Almost all of my games are with other people who are at least challenging and I have a decent chance against (i.e., my winrate against them is probably between 40%-60%). Who cares if there are a bunch of terrible players in platinum that I won't ever play against? It doesn't harm me, and it lets them feel good about themselves.

The significance there is that leagues themselves should hold some meaning to the competitive player. Casual players should feel good about getting into silver.
Looking for top-tier practice partners, especially Z; PM me
Djzapz
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada10681 Posts
April 30 2010 21:43 GMT
#317
Would be nice if saying "I'm platinum" at least meant something... or almost meant something you know... Like what if you could say you're platinum and people would be know you're a decent player.

Right now being in Platinum means you could be the best or very bad, but less bad than WoW noobies.
"My incompetence with power tools had been increasing exponentially over the course of 20 years spent inhaling experimental oven cleaners"
Scorch
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Austria3371 Posts
April 30 2010 21:50 GMT
#318
I'm in Gold with 6-1 and likely would have landed in Platinum if it wasn't for a disconnect on my part. Which is kinda hilarious because I am a 50 apm Random player and was D rank in Broodwar, so I expected to get into Bronze. This isn't quite right I guess

Here's my proposal to improve the placement mechanics: have players give a self estimation before going into placement matches. Say I estimate my skill to be Silver level. Instead of starting out against complete noobs, my first two opponents are Silver players. Should I beat them both, maybe the matchmaking mixes in a Gold player, and so on. Your rank should not only depend on your record over your first 5 games, but also on the quality of your opponents.
Also, I agree with the people who say Platinum should not be reachable by only placement matches.
FabledIntegral
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States9232 Posts
April 30 2010 22:13 GMT
#319
On April 30 2010 06:48 PokePill wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 30 2010 05:53 FabledIntegral wrote:
On April 30 2010 04:34 Chairman Ray wrote:
On April 30 2010 04:28 ItsBigfoot wrote:
gold should actually matter, I dropped one placement match due to a comp crash, wound up getting out of gold in like 8 games just doing immortal pushes, gold kids are bad.

why would they call it gold if all these kids aren't good?


When scaling ICCUP and Bnet, a D- is equivalent to about 1500 ELO platinum I'd estimate. Blizzard wants the game to appeal to all gamers, so they have to give seemingly good ranks to casual players that maybe play one game a week.


Not even close.


You mean higher right? I'd say a D-/D player would max out around 1800 or 1900.


A D- player would max out around ~1200 in platinum. Realize that a D- on Iccup was often times worse than the average Bnet player. A D player might be considered better than the average bnet player, but NOT by much.
hejakev
Profile Joined August 2009
Sweden518 Posts
April 30 2010 22:23 GMT
#320
The leagues will balance out when vanilla is released
Prev 1 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 43m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech10
StarCraft: Brood War
BeSt 247
Hyuk 146
910 74
Mong 70
Leta 52
Shinee 49
PianO 40
soO 39
Killer 36
Mind 35
[ Show more ]
Bale 30
Aegong 23
ToSsGirL 18
ZergMaN 15
HiyA 15
sorry 15
League of Legends
JimRising 454
Counter-Strike
ceh9507
shoxiejesuss390
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King227
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1834
Other Games
summit1g8928
olofmeister1046
Happy390
crisheroes245
Sick178
ArmadaUGS111
Livibee103
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick572
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream255
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH148
• LUISG 9
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2292
League of Legends
• Rush1614
• Jankos996
• Stunt563
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
1h 43m
OSC
4h 43m
Stellar Fest
4h 43m
OSC
15h 43m
Stellar Fest
1d 4h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.