• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:29
CEST 22:29
KST 05:29
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon110
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8794 users

platinum isn't that good? - Page 18

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 16 17 18 19 Next All
solistus
Profile Joined April 2010
United States172 Posts
May 01 2010 20:50 GMT
#341
I wrote up a long post about the problems I see with this system on the official beta forums, but the stupid character limit cut off like 2/3 of it so I posted it here instead. I voted yes, which should be clear to anyone who reads my little manifesto about leagues:

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=122886
Units don't counter units. Strategies counter strategies.
Jandos
Profile Blog Joined December 2003
Czech Republic928 Posts
May 01 2010 20:58 GMT
#342
There will be pro-league which will be above platinum right ?
Anyone knows how will be possible to get there ?
cloudJR
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States266 Posts
May 01 2010 21:09 GMT
#343
On May 02 2010 04:47 Rabbet wrote:
I agree, I did my placement matches and went 2-3. I didn't realize the hotkeys would be so different and it took a few games to figure things out. I haven't played many games but I am going against platinum players right now that are really bad. One protoss tryed to sneak a probe into my base after my scv was already building my depot, then when I killed in his warping pylon he went outside my base to set up a cannon "contain". Only problem was my base had 2 entrances and my scouting scv built a factory in his base. His strategy is a grade 2 strat and there is no chance of success with this in broodwar or sc2. He was ranked ~40 in a platinum division.


Hahaha I think we have played the same guy before. I've played probably 5 guys that are in the plat division that just have a gimmick to win. I literally played a guy that tried to 6 pool me and when it failed he immediately quit.
All I can hear are thousands of children screaming imbalance.......
scott desu
Profile Joined April 2010
United States34 Posts
May 01 2010 21:09 GMT
#344
I have this sneaking suspicion that when the game is released and all the people that never got into beta get it, they will flood copper and bronze league and then gold and platinum will feel more like their supposed to.
('x.x)G-(._.Q)
cloudJR
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States266 Posts
May 01 2010 21:10 GMT
#345
On May 02 2010 06:09 scott desu wrote:
I have this sneaking suspicion that when the game is released and all the people that never got into beta get it, they will flood copper and bronze league and then gold and platinum will feel more like their supposed to.


That's exactly what I'm thinking
All I can hear are thousands of children screaming imbalance.......
insectoceanx
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
United States331 Posts
May 01 2010 21:15 GMT
#346
It seems to me beta keys have been going out at a faster rate than ever before. I got placed in bronze my 2nd time placing(1st time i got silver) Took me like 18 wins to make it to silver, got placed immediately in the top 10 of my silver division which about 80% of is new players fresh from their placement matches. Even though i am ranked 10th I have the best win loss ratio for my number of wins. I actually have better record ( more wins and fewer losses) than the #1 in my div. He must just have more rested points than me.

What blizzard needs to work on is the favored system(my opponent is always favored) And I think when you are at a low level of points a win or loss streak should move you more quickly between leagues. Say once you've played 15-20 games your position will be more concrete.
icki.icki
Profile Joined March 2010
106 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-01 21:34:32
May 01 2010 21:34 GMT
#347
Depends whether Platinum is percentage based or a fixed number of players. If it's like the top 1000 players then it'll get progressively more competitive post-launch, but if it's like the top 10% or something there should just be more and more platinum brackets -- and the top 10% of those won't even play each other that often.
Kinmaul
Profile Joined March 2010
United States104 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-01 21:42:21
May 01 2010 21:41 GMT
#348
I think it's silly you can get placed directly in platinum. You should just start at the lowest and work your way up. Right now its like:

5-0 placement = plat
4-1 placement = gold
3-2 placement = silver
etc...

The problem is 4 out of your 5 placement matches are usually against people that have zero clue what they are doing. As long as you have a basic understanding of the game or a canned BO you are going to win 5/5 most of the time. The system then places you in plat when you really don't belong there.

If you go 5/5 in placement matches then the best you should get is silver and then you have to work your way up through silver/gold to plat. This would stop the platinum divisions from being bloated with all of these 5-0 inactive teams.
"Dimaga getting just the right amount of banelings to kill 100% of everything!" - Day[9]
Sentient
Profile Joined April 2010
United States437 Posts
May 01 2010 22:07 GMT
#349
I went 4-1 and was placed in platinum. I lost to a bronze player (ninja banshees everywhere !!) but defeated two gold players. But I agree that platinum shouldn't be placed directly.
uniquee
Profile Joined May 2010
Latvia16 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-03 02:48:22
May 03 2010 02:44 GMT
#350
It might even out but there certainly has to have some limit in the platinum division to make it worthwhile.

I just got beta 1 week ago (Friday, when soon they had the reset), but I did play some offline SC II. Before reset I went 4-1 and got into Gold. After reset I only got into bronze. Today I went Platinum; lulz noobies.

Just to explain why I'm laughing: I played minimal SC I (and that was a while ago too + I mostly did 20 min no rush if ya kno what i meann). Now I figured to make SC II my new game and in a week I was able to become platinum with minimal experience. Now mind you, I have extensive background in games (not RTS though), but there is no reason I should be platinum within a week and I will have NO problem maintaining it. Overall counting all the games this week + any game in any division, I've played about 70+ games (including non-ranked). Took about 50 to grind into platinum from bronze.

As you can see its my first post and I am just now leeching into the SC communities ( hi! ). And I am good at games, but shizzle, it shouldn't be this easy. In addition, people shouldn't be crying too much about placement matches, but rather worry about how saturated Platinum will get.
meow
pyr0ma5ta
Profile Joined May 2010
United States458 Posts
May 03 2010 04:01 GMT
#351
I'm terrible, but I'm in platinum. Worse, I'm not even the worst guy in Platinum. I just got 10pool-mass ling'd as Terran. When I repaired the wall and killed literally 20 zerglings with marauders behind the wall, and then moved out with 6 marauders, he instaquit. Really?
"I made you a zergling, but I eated it." - Defiler
Wintermute
Profile Joined March 2010
United States427 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-03 04:16:28
May 03 2010 04:15 GMT
#352
As long as you have 100 different divisions (more like thousands once it goes live) it's not going to matter what league you are in, or even what your rank is in your division.

The only thing that DOES matter is your hidden rating, which is of course funny to think about (the only thing that really tells you how good you are is the one that's hidden).

Whether or not they allow only 5% of the population into platinum or 20%, there's still going to be wide gap in skill. Just be satisfied that when the game is live, there will be a much larger pool of players to pull from, so you won't spend as much time playing platinum baddies like me. Sure, we'll still exist and we'll still be in platinum, but we'll just be playing other less excellent players like ourselves.

The only thing that they absolutely need to fix is to make placement take 10-20 matches. Winning 4-5 games in a row isn't that difficult, especially when the ladder first gets reset and every one is considered to be a silver player by default.
Don't let me say this, but you're no worse than me; it's crazy.
JreL209
Profile Joined April 2010
United States78 Posts
May 03 2010 04:29 GMT
#353
Does it matter what you place in? Won't most people be playing in online ladders anyways like Iccup? ....
Wintermute
Profile Joined March 2010
United States427 Posts
May 03 2010 04:35 GMT
#354
On May 03 2010 13:29 JreL209 wrote:
Does it matter what you place in? Won't most people be playing in online ladders anyways like Iccup? ....


Not unless Blizzard allows non Bnet servers, which they don't seem particularly inclined to do.
Don't let me say this, but you're no worse than me; it's crazy.
gameguard
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
Korea (South)2132 Posts
May 03 2010 05:09 GMT
#355
On May 02 2010 06:09 scott desu wrote:
I have this sneaking suspicion that when the game is released and all the people that never got into beta get it, they will flood copper and bronze league and then gold and platinum will feel more like their supposed to.


you mean they will flood copper and bronze then all the noobs who are currently in copper and bronze will flood platinum.
bodysnatcher21
Profile Joined June 2009
Australia147 Posts
May 03 2010 05:10 GMT
#356
Platinum is going to be even less skilled once the game is released.

There will be an influx of terribad players filling up the copper and bronze leagues, and everyone who has played beta will essentially be "bumped up" in rank to make room for the newbies.

My friend is terrible at SC2. Hes never played BW and he has 20 APM, and hes only played SC2 for 2 weeks. Hes in platinum.

Personally I think the proleague is not enough to solve this problem. I'd like to see a system more like ICCUP, where the higher ranks have less overall players. That way, getting to Platinum or Gold would actually mean something.
Siffer
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
United States467 Posts
May 03 2010 05:31 GMT
#357
Once people start mass gaming 1v1 ladder(retail), you will see skill separate much like iccup.

The pool(which is still extremely small) is skewed quite a bit due to all the WoW newbs who have never played a RTS game before.
bjwithbraces
Profile Joined April 2010
United States549 Posts
May 03 2010 05:40 GMT
#358
would it be a terrible idea to not be able to place in platinum? I.E. highest you can get placed(after your 5 games) is gold. Then from there depending on your next (arbitrary number let's say 25) you're re-evaluated and then get placed into platinum?
http://steamcommunity.com/id/unipolarity/inventory/
Amuze
Profile Joined April 2010
Australia12 Posts
May 03 2010 05:41 GMT
#359
Here is my little story.

I played my placement matches, won 5/5 and got placed in plat. This is basically because i have watched so much sc2 online before i got my key that i knew what to do and what to build. Anyway, in one day i managed to go from plat to rank 2 copper league.

I have only been playing for about 4 days and have 35 wins 38 loss, AND i am playing people in silver league.

Maybe i do belong in copper league but blizzard just can't make their mind up. I constantly vs people in silver league. Unfair?
VarsityUser
Profile Joined June 2009
United States84 Posts
May 03 2010 06:14 GMT
#360
On May 03 2010 14:41 Amuze wrote:
Here is my little story.

I played my placement matches, won 5/5 and got placed in plat. This is basically because i have watched so much sc2 online before i got my key that i knew what to do and what to build. Anyway, in one day i managed to go from plat to rank 2 copper league.

I have only been playing for about 4 days and have 35 wins 38 loss, AND i am playing people in silver league.

Maybe i do belong in copper league but blizzard just can't make their mind up. I constantly vs people in silver league. Unfair?


Sounds like ur the zerg who 4 pooled me into being placed in gold league... I'm 1.5k rating which would put me top 10 platinum in division except i stick at #1 gold for eternity
If its not too much to ask, I'd like my stats returned. I feel I deserve them - Combat-EX
Prev 1 16 17 18 19 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 31m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 535
UpATreeSC 106
JuggernautJason16
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 731
Dewaltoss 119
firebathero 90
Zeus 70
Trap 37
910 32
NaDa 29
Bale 28
ToSsGirL 23
Dota 2
monkeys_forever227
Counter-Strike
edward185
Super Smash Bros
ArmadaUGS105
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3127
Liquid`Hasu2234
Other Games
summit1g6007
B2W.Neo635
Beastyqt602
shahzam409
byalli398
ToD199
C9.Mang0160
KnowMe154
TKL 102
Railgan15
Chillindude14
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV254
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream167
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 64
• Adnapsc2 13
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki29
• blackmanpl 29
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Shiphtur283
• WagamamaTV268
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
3h 31m
Kung Fu Cup
14h 31m
Stellar Fest
16h 31m
Stellar Fest
16h 31m
Stellar Fest
16h 31m
The PondCast
1d 13h
OSC
1d 16h
Stellar Fest
1d 16h
OSC
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.