• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:22
CEST 20:22
KST 03:22
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site BSL Season 23 Klaucher discontinued / in-game color settings BW General Discussion Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8486 users

TL Fitness Initiative (Weight Loss/Gain) - Page 87

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 85 86 87 88 89 119 Next
jfazz
Profile Joined September 2009
Australia672 Posts
October 27 2009 22:47 GMT
#1721
Ok, day 9 of my "low carb" diet is swinging into action. So far, ive hovered around 100grams of carb a day...I need to be more focussed. At least I have kept the calories down to about 1500/daily, and my protein intake around 180/grams.

This morning I had 4 eggs, a piece of grilled chicken (leftovers, whoo) and 100g of cottage cheese; so about 55g of protein so far, with only 6g of carb...now if only I can keep it together
Victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
October 28 2009 00:31 GMT
#1722
On October 28 2009 05:56 Foucault wrote:
Yep I know, I was more thinking along the lines of eating something just before I run. Otherwise it's like torture lol.

Oh well, I've read up on some stuff on stronglifts.com. Seems like an okay site? Because of the fact that I do some running and that I have some relatively intense schoolwork for the next couple of weeks, I will probably just cut down on carbs a bit in general and eat a decent breakfast with some carbs and try to keep carbs as post-workout at other times, besides veggies.

Quinoa also seems like a good alternative that I already use as a source or carbs together with tuna/chicken etc.

My inspiration for cutting back on carbs in food is 1) I think it will stabilize my blood sugar and concentration in general 2) get rid of some persistant belly fat.

Other than that I am quite knowledgeable about food in general so I think will turn out well.


Sounds fine.

StrongLifts is a pretty good site.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
Drowsy
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
United States4876 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-10-28 01:59:47
October 28 2009 01:48 GMT
#1723
Month isn't over yet, but Goals for November:
Deadlift 290x5->305x5
Back Squat 210x5->225x5
Front Squat 165x5->175x5
Bench Press 185x5->195x5
Powerclean 150x3->155x3
OHP 110x5->120x5 (kinda doubt I'll hit this one as I seem to need to reset this lift all the god damn time)

Bodyweight 166lbs->168-172ish

I'm 5'11 so I'm still pretty skinny and I'm not super worried about fat gain.
Our Protoss, Who art in Aiur HongUn be Thy name; Thy stalker come, Thy will be blunk, on ladder as it is in Micro Tourny. Give us this win in our daily ladder, and forgive us our cheeses, As we forgive those who play zerg against us.
Drowsy
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
United States4876 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-10-28 01:51:26
October 28 2009 01:49 GMT
#1724
On October 28 2009 09:31 eshlow wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 28 2009 05:56 Foucault wrote:
Yep I know, I was more thinking along the lines of eating something just before I run. Otherwise it's like torture lol.

Oh well, I've read up on some stuff on stronglifts.com. Seems like an okay site? Because of the fact that I do some running and that I have some relatively intense schoolwork for the next couple of weeks, I will probably just cut down on carbs a bit in general and eat a decent breakfast with some carbs and try to keep carbs as post-workout at other times, besides veggies.

Quinoa also seems like a good alternative that I already use as a source or carbs together with tuna/chicken etc.

My inspiration for cutting back on carbs in food is 1) I think it will stabilize my blood sugar and concentration in general 2) get rid of some persistant belly fat.

Other than that I am quite knowledgeable about food in general so I think will turn out well.


Sounds fine.

StrongLifts is a pretty good site.



imo the stronglifts routine has wayyyy too much volume, I wouldn't do it without 100% perfect recovery habits and practically no other obligations. The advice they give as far as getting started in strength training is great and they teach you good technique, but the routine itself is probably a little bit too intense. Starting Strength is superior.
Our Protoss, Who art in Aiur HongUn be Thy name; Thy stalker come, Thy will be blunk, on ladder as it is in Micro Tourny. Give us this win in our daily ladder, and forgive us our cheeses, As we forgive those who play zerg against us.
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-10-28 02:09:12
October 28 2009 02:07 GMT
#1725
On October 28 2009 10:49 Drowsy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 28 2009 09:31 eshlow wrote:
On October 28 2009 05:56 Foucault wrote:
Yep I know, I was more thinking along the lines of eating something just before I run. Otherwise it's like torture lol.

Oh well, I've read up on some stuff on stronglifts.com. Seems like an okay site? Because of the fact that I do some running and that I have some relatively intense schoolwork for the next couple of weeks, I will probably just cut down on carbs a bit in general and eat a decent breakfast with some carbs and try to keep carbs as post-workout at other times, besides veggies.

Quinoa also seems like a good alternative that I already use as a source or carbs together with tuna/chicken etc.

My inspiration for cutting back on carbs in food is 1) I think it will stabilize my blood sugar and concentration in general 2) get rid of some persistant belly fat.

Other than that I am quite knowledgeable about food in general so I think will turn out well.


Sounds fine.

StrongLifts is a pretty good site.



imo the stronglifts routine has wayyyy too much volume, I wouldn't do it without 100% perfect recovery habits and practically no other obligations. The advice they give as far as getting started in strength training is great and they teach you good technique, but the routine itself is probably a little bit too intense. Starting Strength is superior.


I agree.

I've touted SS at least 10 different times earlier this thread. I like 3x5 for beginners. 5x5 even ascending ladder can be too high volume.

The one thing I like about 5x5 ascending is it gives more practice with technique though which can be beneficial for beginners especially those having trouble with learning proper squat and DL form. Although doesn't seem to be much of the case for bench and overhead press.

Part of the thing I hate about the bastandardize SS versions is elimination of the power clean. The power clean is essential IMO.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
jfazz
Profile Joined September 2009
Australia672 Posts
October 28 2009 10:06 GMT
#1726
OMFG.

The new bicep and tricep workout was death. Im newly motivated, so im working out as hard as I can - going to failure for the last set of each muscle group; going to failure kills! Ive got more burn and pain than ever before, but thats good, it means it worked

Yay!
Victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none
madnessman
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States1581 Posts
October 28 2009 10:43 GMT
#1727
i love working a muscle to failure. you get such a deep burn and you feel really good afterwards. my challenge workout today was pretty tough but nothing special. Just a bunch of running, ab work and LOTS of pushups.
unknown.sam
Profile Joined May 2007
Philippines2701 Posts
October 28 2009 10:53 GMT
#1728
what's the deal with working to failure?? i've read sources saying work to failure and other sources saying don't work to failure but both sides don't really give any reason (none that i can remember anyway) behind either strategy. anyone wanna clear that up??
"Thanks for the kind words, but if SS is the most interesting book you've ever read, you must have just started reading a couple of weeks ago." - Mark Rippetoe
jfazz
Profile Joined September 2009
Australia672 Posts
October 28 2009 11:06 GMT
#1729
I can't give you an educated reason for it (I pass to the more knowledgable guys) but I am going to be doing it because sometimes I finish a muscle group and I have energy left, so I try to use it all up. I only do each muscle group once a week, so doing as much work as possible seems the best way to stimulate as much growth as possible by the next session (combined with the right nutrition obviously).
Victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none
Foucault
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Sweden2826 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-10-28 11:14:08
October 28 2009 11:12 GMT
#1730
Yeah in general there's not much point in working to failure unless you're fooling around with curls or whatever. It doesn't build muscle, strict 8-10 reps does. 1-6 reps is strength mainly.

In the beginning I used to work to failure alot but then I learned to actually be able to do the sets and reps you're supposed to do. Besides, failure means higher risk for injury
I know that deep inside of you there's a humongous set of testicles just waiting to pop out. Let 'em pop bro. //////////////////// AKA JensOfSweden // Lee Yoon Yeol forever.
unknown.sam
Profile Joined May 2007
Philippines2701 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-10-28 11:45:21
October 28 2009 11:43 GMT
#1731
yeah i guess that's a fairly logical reason why you shouldn't go to failure. although to me it seems like it's more of a preference than anything else.

kinda like the shoulder press. some say to arch your back while others are against it. to each his own i suppose.
"Thanks for the kind words, but if SS is the most interesting book you've ever read, you must have just started reading a couple of weeks ago." - Mark Rippetoe
Snet *
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
United States3573 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-10-28 11:51:32
October 28 2009 11:49 GMT
#1732
On October 28 2009 19:53 unknown.sam wrote:
what's the deal with working to failure?? i've read sources saying work to failure and other sources saying don't work to failure but both sides don't really give any reason (none that i can remember anyway) behind either strategy. anyone wanna clear that up??


Alot of people stop working out right when they are actually starting to make progress. Your body can handle alot more than you think and usually people stop their reps only because they set a predetermined number in their head, not because they just completed a good workout.

So far one thing that I found working to failure is excellent for is pushups. My ability to crank out 2x as many pushups before is thanks to me not stopping just because I got to the number I wanted.

If you can push through the mental block that tells you to stop at a certain number or distance, you will start seeing results you weren't expecting. Atleast in my experiences.

This post was mainly talking about pushups, situps, pullups, and running. I don't do much weight lifting so weightlifters should ignore this post.
Energies
Profile Blog Joined September 2003
Australia3225 Posts
October 28 2009 12:49 GMT
#1733
More grunting at the gym today, with deadlifts and lateral pull downs. It would be pretty damn annoying I guess, but it seems to help me lift more, it is still unintentionally and only comes out on the last couple of reps.

I'm hoping to get up to 160kg(352lb) on the dead lift by next week. I hit 150kg(330lb) last week for 3-4 reps, I got it for 5-6 reps this week, hoping to get 160 for 2-3 next week.
"Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder but dont nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weight" - Ronnie Coleman.
madnessman
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States1581 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-10-28 16:25:00
October 28 2009 16:24 GMT
#1734
On October 28 2009 01:20 decafchicken wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 27 2009 04:09 tryummm wrote:
Okay, first of all let me begin this rant by saying that the workout routines listed by the OP suck really really badly.
The reason:
-The people promoting them probably don't even do the workouts, they probably eat to the macro nutrient (Which most people don't have the finances or resources/knowledge to do), they have years of training, and they take a bunch of steroids.
-Exercises such as crunches do nothing but hurt your power and increase your risk of injuries.
-If you're any sort of athlete, isolation exercises SUCK! They should only be used in rehab. Otherwise you are decreasing power and increasing risk of injury.
-You should be standing on your feet and work something called reactive strength (Yet most reactive strength workouts available still suck).
-You should not work out in low weight high reps, or workout to 'Feel the Burn'
-Workout until you are exhausted.
-Workout on machines

Now that's out of the way

What you should expect/do in a good workout routine:
-Workout around 5 days a week for around 40-50 minutes per day.
-Gain ~1 pound of muscle per week, or 52 pounds in a year (NO, THIS ISN'T THAT HARD TO DO WHEN YOU HAVE A GOOD WORKOUT ROUTINE, AND YOU ARE AT A SMALL WEIGHT).
-WARM UP prior to working out (THIS DOESN'T MEAN STRETCH!! Stretching will also make you less powerful and increase your chances of injury).

EDIT: Eshlow I saw your post about getting more vitamin D on the "i got swine flu" thread. hahaha.
-Utilize an underused piece of equipment called a barbell.
-Avoid most plyometrics, especially if you are an amateur athlete.
-Stretch ~2 days a week for recovery purposes AFTER your workout. 10-25 seconds for 3 reps seems to be most beneficial.
-Have a healthy nutrition plan where you consume ~75-100% grams of protein for each pound of body weight.
-A workout specific for what you WANT in life.


52 pounds in a year of muscle??
Avoid plyometrics?
Use machines over free weighs?


dont stretch guys! because everybody knows that stretching makes you more injury prone. i generally try do some dynamic stretching, a light warm up and then "standard" stretching.
TanGeng
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Sanya12364 Posts
October 28 2009 17:07 GMT
#1735
being sarcastic? What is going on? I try to stretch always.
Moderator我们是个踏实的赞助商模式俱乐部
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
October 28 2009 17:30 GMT
#1736
On October 28 2009 19:53 unknown.sam wrote:
what's the deal with working to failure?? i've read sources saying work to failure and other sources saying don't work to failure but both sides don't really give any reason (none that i can remember anyway) behind either strategy. anyone wanna clear that up??


Failure is ok with isolation.

If you're aiming towards performance and strength definitely not. Burning out your CNS is not a good idea to frequent training which obviously produces the fastest adaptations.

------------------

And I strongly disagree with whoever said that people stop working out right when they're about to make adaptations that change failure.

The principle in hypertrophy or really in any training is to stress a muscle beyond it's capacity to elicit adaptation. Too much stress is as detrimental (overtraining) as not enough stress (undertraining). While it's true that MOST people in the gym aren't working hard enough if they're progress has stagnated, there is also the subset of people who do too much.

In general, the exercises that will give you the most bang for your buck like squats, deadlifts, oly lifts, etc. will also be the ones you do not want to go to failure with. These will often burn you out if you do so. Isolations tends to be less stress systemtically on the body itself so if you're going to failure you may do so near the end of each set.

------------------

Also, whoever said 1-6 reps is just strength....

Most effective beginner and intermediate programs are with 5 reps. It provides an HUGE amount of hypertrophy and strength gains simultaneously.

We've already talked about SS which is 3x5 for all exercises except deadlift at 1x5. Most beginners on this program gain 20-30+ lbs of lean mass within 6 months from my experience. It's THE most effective program I've seen.

If you're aiming for hypertrophy it is best to stick within the 5-8 rep range IMO. Although varying it up to the 8-12 rep range is often beneficial as well. Anything in the range of 5-12 will tend to provide enough volume to stress enough muscular damage to elicit gains.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
SixSongs
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
Poland1455 Posts
October 28 2009 18:13 GMT
#1737
I have a question.
I have a tore acl in my left knee, but I won't have it repaired anytime soon. Can I do squats, lounges, dead lifts, etc?
The Prince of DroneS
Slithe
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
United States985 Posts
October 28 2009 18:47 GMT
#1738
On October 29 2009 02:07 TanGeng wrote:
being sarcastic? What is going on? I try to stretch always.


There have actually been some studies that show that too much stretching does actually increase the chance of injury. As such, some people recommend to just start your workouts with a light warm up, like jogging, to get the muscles warm and ready.
Foucault
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Sweden2826 Posts
October 28 2009 19:43 GMT
#1739
On October 29 2009 03:13 SixSongs wrote:
I have a question.
I have a tore acl in my left knee, but I won't have it repaired anytime soon. Can I do squats, lounges, dead lifts, etc?


Um, no definately not. You should do rehab work not involing squats, lounges and deadlifts if your knee is fucked.
I know that deep inside of you there's a humongous set of testicles just waiting to pop out. Let 'em pop bro. //////////////////// AKA JensOfSweden // Lee Yoon Yeol forever.
TanGeng
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Sanya12364 Posts
October 28 2009 20:09 GMT
#1740
Yes do not strain your torn acl. Do not do anything risky with it.

I stretch after my workouts rather than before. I begin with a light warm up just like you said.
Moderator我们是个踏实的赞助商模式俱乐部
Prev 1 85 86 87 88 89 119 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
AI Arena Tournament
02:00
Swiss - Round 4
Laughngamez YouTube
FEL
01:00
ScienceCraft Qualifier
IndyStarCraft 257
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
IndyStarCraft 257
BRAT_OK 67
JuggernautJason19
MindelVK 17
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 25423
Mini 428
Hyuk 192
firebathero 175
ggaemo 131
Dewaltoss 68
Mong 47
Hyun 36
ToSsGirL 22
Dota 2
Gorgc10023
febbydoto2
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1380
crisheroes1076
Liquid`Hasu766
Other Games
Grubby3125
FrodaN2486
fl0m1079
Beastyqt743
mouzStarbuck189
KnowMe186
Livibee161
ArmadaUGS120
Mew2King52
Trikslyr43
ToD33
Chillindude28
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1008
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream36
[ Show 19 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• printf 78
• StrangeGG 51
• Adnapsc2 24
• LUISG 12
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 12
• blackmanpl 9
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 8605
• WagamamaTV299
Other Games
• imaqtpie602
• Shiphtur307
• tFFMrPink 8
Upcoming Events
BSL: Ladder Tournament
38m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
15h 38m
INu's Battles
17h 38m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
20h 38m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
1d
BSL Open Qualifier
1d
Replay Cast
1d 5h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 15h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 16h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 21h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.