• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 02:26
CEST 08:26
KST 15:26
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9579 users

TL Fitness Initiative (Weight Loss/Gain) - Page 77

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 75 76 77 78 79 119 Next
madnessman
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States1581 Posts
October 17 2009 05:40 GMT
#1521
On October 17 2009 12:30 thedeadhaji wrote:
>biomedical

Suggestion: get form fitting exercize shorts. I guess Energies uses compression pants, I use my cycling shorts.

But as several others have mentioned, it's likely that your form is off.


haji you cycle? IM NOT ALONE!

i did a 4.6k hill run today in like 26 minutes. it isn't good but it was alright for me because i absolutely die on hills.
saxena_j
Profile Joined August 2009
Australia27 Posts
October 17 2009 06:11 GMT
#1522
anyone here doing rippetoe's starting strength?
Energies
Profile Blog Joined September 2003
Australia3225 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-10-17 06:20:40
October 17 2009 06:18 GMT
#1523
I have wanted to try it, but something in my brain will not allow me to stop until at least 6-8 reps. The only time I ever go 3-5 reps is when the weight so incredibly heavy that I cannot lift it anymore.

Edit: Probably should note, I haven't been concentrating on gaining a ton of mass.
"Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder but dont nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weight" - Ronnie Coleman.
Zapdos_Smithh
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Canada2620 Posts
October 17 2009 06:28 GMT
#1524
Hello people. Haven't posted here but I started working out again 3 months ago so I figure I might as well tell you guys my goals/what I am doing.

I just want to gain muscle/weight. I am 5'11 and 165 (was 160 three months ago, already gained 5 pounds). My goal is 180. For exercise I am weight-lifting about 3 times a week with my own free weights as well as general calisthenics that I learned from tae kwon do when I did it. No goals for weight-lifting specifically though (personally I couldn't care less how much I can bench, as long as I am getting a good work out). I also am doing Krav Maga (a real-life-based martial art) once a week and I longboard about 3-4 times a week as well. My university campus is huge so I already do a lot of walking. I am also standing constantly at work too so that helps. I think keeping an active lifestyle is really important (just so if I miss a workout or a krav class I can rely on my normal life habits for exercise). For diet, I am not making many changes really. I don't drink pop/alcohol and usually just eat what my parents make for dinner (living @ home ftw). I am just going to eat more of what I already eat.

Not much else to say. So far it's working out very well and I feel noticeably bigger. I'll post again to update and maybe post pics when I get to my goal if I feel like they are worth showing.
thedeadhaji *
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
39489 Posts
October 17 2009 07:21 GMT
#1525
On October 17 2009 15:11 saxena_j wrote:
anyone here doing rippetoe's starting strength?


I hadnt lifted in 12 months so started doing this.

Started reaaalllly low weight for safety purposes.
Currently (iirc)

(no idea wtf the bar weighs, one of those standard bars so like 20kg? idk)

Squats: 50kg
Bench Press: 25kg
Deadlift: 35kg
M.Press: 15kg
Bent row: 30kg


Adding like 5-10kg each time atm. I expect to plateau at like
Squats: 80kg
Bench Press: 35kg
Deadlift: 60kg
M.Press: 25kg
Bent row: 50kg

My chest/arms were always weak (particularly b/c the sports I played were soccer and rowing, which are largely lower body sports X_X) and they've definitely become even waker over the last year of inactivity so I have a longgg ways to go. But I'm enjoying the ride
Energies
Profile Blog Joined September 2003
Australia3225 Posts
October 17 2009 07:26 GMT
#1526
Your numbers are really weird dude.

Your deadlifts should be freakishly higher than your bent over rows and your bench should be double your military press.

I think your mind is holding you back, learn proper form with your exercises and crank up those weights! You'll be fine.

Good luck.
"Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder but dont nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weight" - Ronnie Coleman.
jfazz
Profile Joined September 2009
Australia672 Posts
October 17 2009 07:36 GMT
#1527
Ive had a few horrible days of food poisoning...cannot wait to get back into the gym!
Victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none
Nazarene
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
Denmark996 Posts
October 17 2009 11:32 GMT
#1528
I'm in very good shape now. Resting pulse at 40 bpm. Need to lose around 1 kilogram and then I'll be where I need to be at in regards to boxing (69 kg).
Will have my first fight this season in around in month :-)!
jfazz
Profile Joined September 2009
Australia672 Posts
October 17 2009 12:40 GMT
#1529
standard bar is 15kg.
Victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none
madnessman
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States1581 Posts
October 17 2009 12:53 GMT
#1530
On October 17 2009 20:32 Nazarene wrote:
I'm in very good shape now. Resting pulse at 40 bpm. Need to lose around 1 kilogram and then I'll be where I need to be at in regards to boxing (69 kg).
Will have my first fight this season in around in month :-)!


Nice.. boxing is really hardcore. what weight class is 69kg?
jfazz
Profile Joined September 2009
Australia672 Posts
October 17 2009 12:54 GMT
#1531
light weight.
Victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none
Patriot.dlk
Profile Blog Joined October 2004
Sweden5462 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-10-17 20:18:12
October 17 2009 20:07 GMT
#1532
On October 17 2009 16:21 thedeadhaji wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 17 2009 15:11 saxena_j wrote:
anyone here doing rippetoe's starting strength?


I hadnt lifted in 12 months so started doing this.

Started reaaalllly low weight for safety purposes.
Currently (iirc)

(no idea wtf the bar weighs, one of those standard bars so like 20kg? idk)

Squats: 50kg
Bench Press: 25kg
Deadlift: 35kg
M.Press: 15kg
Bent row: 30kg


Adding like 5-10kg each time atm. I expect to plateau at like
Squats: 80kg
Bench Press: 35kg
Deadlift: 60kg
M.Press: 25kg
Bent row: 50kg

My chest/arms were always weak (particularly b/c the sports I played were soccer and rowing, which are largely lower body sports X_X) and they've definitely become even waker over the last year of inactivity so I have a longgg ways to go. But I'm enjoying the ride


I squat 30 kg and i bench 50 kg so your number feels weird to me! I'm not sure if I will be able to squat that much even in a year from now. I'm sore for 4 days after I do my lower body exercises.

I started training seriously 3 months ago and since then i've gone from 35 kg to 55 kg bench press so you could probably except more growth in that department.

Do as many push ups as you can every now and then and good luck!
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
October 18 2009 02:39 GMT
#1533
On October 17 2009 16:21 thedeadhaji wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 17 2009 15:11 saxena_j wrote:
anyone here doing rippetoe's starting strength?


I hadnt lifted in 12 months so started doing this.

Started reaaalllly low weight for safety purposes.
Currently (iirc)

(no idea wtf the bar weighs, one of those standard bars so like 20kg? idk)

Squats: 50kg
Bench Press: 25kg
Deadlift: 35kg
M.Press: 15kg
Bent row: 30kg


Adding like 5-10kg each time atm. I expect to plateau at like
Squats: 80kg
Bench Press: 35kg
Deadlift: 60kg
M.Press: 25kg
Bent row: 50kg

My chest/arms were always weak (particularly b/c the sports I played were soccer and rowing, which are largely lower body sports X_X) and they've definitely become even waker over the last year of inactivity so I have a longgg ways to go. But I'm enjoying the ride


Bar is 45 lbs or 20 kg. This counts in total.

Deadlift should be higher than squat. This indicates to me that you are lacking squatting depth (below parallel) and/or you have very bad technique with deadlift. Usually the former.

Usually bench is higher than bent over rows which is higher than military press.

Also, bent over rows are not in the original program. It would be better to do power cleans...

5-10 kg each time is a lot more than the recommended 5-10 lbs on the upper body and 10-15 lbs on lower body... going down to 5 lbs both. But if you had previous strength it may be possible to do this.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
Cambium
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States16368 Posts
October 18 2009 03:08 GMT
#1534
How do you guys suggest balancing your two arms, and I sincerely hope that I'm not alone on this. I find that my right arm (bicep, specifically) is a lot stronger than my left arm. When I work out, I think I can do 5lb more (I've never actually tried different weights for my two arms) with my right arm than my left arm for my single-handed bicep exercises, throughout the entire workout.

I've read that you should just keep on exercising both arms with the same weight until they eventually even out, and this is what I've been doing, but I don't think my left arm is catching up at all...
When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
October 18 2009 03:11 GMT
#1535
On October 18 2009 12:08 Cambium wrote:
How do you guys suggest balancing your two arms, and I sincerely hope that I'm not alone on this. I find that my right arm (bicep, specifically) is a lot stronger than my left arm. When I work out, I think I can do 5lb more (I've never actually tried different weights for my two arms) with my right arm than my left arm for my single-handed bicep exercises, throughout the entire workout.

I've read that you should just keep on exercising both arms with the same weight until they eventually even out, and this is what I've been doing, but I don't think my left arm is catching up at all...


Barbell work should balance it out... unless you're just having problems.

In which case you should switch to dumbell work.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
Zapdos_Smithh
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Canada2620 Posts
October 18 2009 03:11 GMT
#1536
On October 18 2009 12:08 Cambium wrote:
How do you guys suggest balancing your two arms, and I sincerely hope that I'm not alone on this. I find that my right arm (bicep, specifically) is a lot stronger than my left arm. When I work out, I think I can do 5lb more (I've never actually tried different weights for my two arms) with my right arm than my left arm for my single-handed bicep exercises, throughout the entire workout.

I've read that you should just keep on exercising both arms with the same weight until they eventually even out, and this is what I've been doing, but I don't think my left arm is catching up at all...


Yeah i'm in the same boat actually. My right arm even is a bit bigger than my left. Tips anybody?
Cambium
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States16368 Posts
October 18 2009 03:24 GMT
#1537
On October 18 2009 12:11 eshlow wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 18 2009 12:08 Cambium wrote:
How do you guys suggest balancing your two arms, and I sincerely hope that I'm not alone on this. I find that my right arm (bicep, specifically) is a lot stronger than my left arm. When I work out, I think I can do 5lb more (I've never actually tried different weights for my two arms) with my right arm than my left arm for my single-handed bicep exercises, throughout the entire workout.

I've read that you should just keep on exercising both arms with the same weight until they eventually even out, and this is what I've been doing, but I don't think my left arm is catching up at all...


Barbell work should balance it out... unless you're just having problems.

In which case you should switch to dumbell work.


I do a mix of both barbell and dumbbell bicep exercises.

Should I use a dumbbell and workout with my left arm alone for some time?
When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
October 18 2009 03:43 GMT
#1538
On October 18 2009 12:24 Cambium wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 18 2009 12:11 eshlow wrote:
On October 18 2009 12:08 Cambium wrote:
How do you guys suggest balancing your two arms, and I sincerely hope that I'm not alone on this. I find that my right arm (bicep, specifically) is a lot stronger than my left arm. When I work out, I think I can do 5lb more (I've never actually tried different weights for my two arms) with my right arm than my left arm for my single-handed bicep exercises, throughout the entire workout.

I've read that you should just keep on exercising both arms with the same weight until they eventually even out, and this is what I've been doing, but I don't think my left arm is catching up at all...


Barbell work should balance it out... unless you're just having problems.

In which case you should switch to dumbell work.


I do a mix of both barbell and dumbbell bicep exercises.

Should I use a dumbbell and workout with my left arm alone for some time?


Don't do isolations... do compounds with DBs to balance out strength and mass...

Isolations tend to have the effect of strengthening what is stronger better even if you keep the same weight for each because one arm can still accelerate better than the other for some exercises.

Doing compounds at the same time will show you your weaknesses because you will tend to keep them at the same speed.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
Energies
Profile Blog Joined September 2003
Australia3225 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-10-18 04:55:20
October 18 2009 04:54 GMT
#1539
I guess I haven't posted an updated stats post in a while.

Currently still 5'7" - 23 in December.
Current Weight: 70kg (154lb) roughly ~10% bodyfat (will post a photo soon for opinions)

Bench: 80kg (176lb)
Squat: 100kg (220lb)
Incline Leg Press: 240kg (530lb)
Deadlifts: 140kg (310lb)
DB Shoulder Press (Haven't done heavy military in a while) : 2x22.5kg weights. (100lb)
Tricep push down: 50-55kg (110-120lb)
Weighted Dips: My Weight + 20kg. 90kg (200lb)

I am started to become very lean, the nutrition plan has definitely started to shine through. My legs are getting big, there is definite separation in my calves (albeit, hiding under hair ^_^) Overall I am quite happy about the outcome, but i'm still not 100% satisfied. I want to get down to a very low body fat percentage perhaps 6-7%. I have also been left with some loose skin from the dramatic weight loss and a bit of stretch marks still on my arms and stomach.
"Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder but dont nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weight" - Ronnie Coleman.
Cambium
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States16368 Posts
October 18 2009 05:02 GMT
#1540
thanks eshlow, and congrats (I guess?) to energies, keep up the good work
When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.
Prev 1 75 76 77 78 79 119 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 34m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
GuemChi 1021
910 108
Hyun 68
NotJumperer 45
Bale 34
sorry 25
Noble 11
ajuk12(nOOB) 7
Britney 0
Dota 2
febbydoto219
League of Legends
JimRising 610
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King137
Other Games
summit1g6843
Coldzera 719
WinterStarcraft388
C9.Mang0234
ceh9232
NeuroSwarm108
ViBE32
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick609
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream38
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• practicex 31
• Letter146
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2246
League of Legends
• Rush1181
• Lourlo1032
• Stunt364
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
3h 34m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4h 34m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
17h 34m
Patches Events
1d 9h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.