• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:55
CEST 21:55
KST 04:55
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9613 users

TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 - Page 50

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 48 49 50 51 52 234 Next
nobodywonder
Profile Blog Joined July 2012
United States848 Posts
June 19 2015 02:00 GMT
#981
nobodywonder
Age: 20 || Height: 5'6" or m/cm || Weight: 158
Starting Date: 6/18/15 || Goal Date: 9/18/15
Weight goals -- probably cut about 10 pounds. or at least build muscle and burn fat especially stomach
Training goals -- dunno what physical activity i want to really do. i don't really like gym lol. probably will update this.
Nutrition goals -- Cut down on sugar and junk food by eating more fruits. Need to start learning buying and cooking food for healthier meals.
Sleep goals -- Sleep at before 12 (excuse occasional yolo)
Misc/stress goals -- improve posture
i want nobody nobody but you! *clap* *clap*- wonder girls
Ehzera
Profile Blog Joined August 2014
Singapore212 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-06-20 09:31:24
June 20 2015 09:26 GMT
#982
My current 1RMs are:
Deaflift 170kg
Squat 165kg

I pull Sumo, and I struggle to row even 60kg, plus have difficulty getting in more than 1-2 Pullups and Chinups. Does this mean I have a very weak back? Should I switch to conventional just to work on getting a stronger back?

Edit: Best conventional pull was 3 plates
“A tree without roots is just a piece of wood.” - Marco Pierre White
JinDesu
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States3990 Posts
June 20 2015 10:33 GMT
#983
I'm not the most knowledgeable, but I never really noticed a difference in upper back tension between sumo and conventional. Maybe if you do conventional with wide grip, it would help with back. But between sumo and conventional, I notice it taking more load off my lower back and transferring it to my glutes when doing sumo. The upper back tension remains the same in both ways for me.
Yargh
MtlGuitarist97
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States1539 Posts
June 20 2015 12:28 GMT
#984
On June 20 2015 19:33 JinDesu wrote:
I'm not the most knowledgeable, but I never really noticed a difference in upper back tension between sumo and conventional. Maybe if you do conventional with wide grip, it would help with back. But between sumo and conventional, I notice it taking more load off my lower back and transferring it to my glutes when doing sumo. The upper back tension remains the same in both ways for me.

I'd agree with this mostly, but I think there is a huge amount of extra back work done in terms of your spinal erectors and lats when it comes to conventional. Your traps work about the same in either lift, but your lats and erectors work much harder in conventional.

You may want to throw in some machine back work, and maybe start conventional for lighter weights to help back. A conventional pull is very weak for someone with your sumo deadlift. They should probably be within 85-90% of each other if you want to be well balanced. Maybe do some deficit deadlifts as an accessory exercise to help with your speed off the floor and get some extra back work. I'd also recommend doing lat pulldowns and some kind of cable or machine row (I've personally never liked barbell rows; never feel it in my lats and rhomboids).
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
June 20 2015 12:38 GMT
#985
Azera, what are your torso and leg measurements? I am almost certain that you are too tall and lanky to be benefitting from sumo over conventional.
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
Thalandros
Profile Blog Joined July 2012
Netherlands1151 Posts
June 20 2015 19:36 GMT
#986
Right guys. I have a bit of a question which I need people's opinion on.


I'm 17y/o, weigh 165lbs/about 76kg, am 6'2/1.88M and I've been weight training for a good six months now. First I did SL 5x5, and I recently switched to a bit of an adjusted PPL workout, going 3-5 times a week (when I have time.)


I used to be fairly overweight, almost 100kg, 1.5 year ago. I dropped a bunch of that weight and 2 months ago I decided I'd want to drop down further before I go on holiday to the US. Not only because I'm guaranteed to bulk/gain weight there but I also wanted to see how lean I could get. I'm currently 76kg as mentioned and look like this. <---


But, I recently got some advice from people that I'm lean enough (I guess that's personal opinion) and should go and start bulking a little already, get the max strength and hypertrophy gains in asap.

I'd keep cutting but it is true that in particular my bench has stalled (for over a month now) at the incredibly low weight of 50kg. I've improved my technique, deloaded, etc, I just haven't gotten stronger. I'm figuring it might have to do with just not getting the kcal I need for my body to gain adequate strength?


What would you guys do? I obviously have some body fat to lose still (especially love handles which are just so annoying to get rid of, leftovers from being fat I guess ) but I do want to gain strength.
I will have access to a gym in the US, where I'll be staying for a month and hopefully go to the gym multiple times a week, atleast doing the compounds once a week each.
|| ''I think we have all experienced passion that is not in any sense reasonable.'' ||
zatic
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
Zurich15366 Posts
June 20 2015 23:11 GMT
#987
My opinion: Definitely start putting on muscle. 76kg @ 188 is way skinny.

If anything think about it in terms of diminishing returns. It will be comparatively easier to put on muscle now than to get rid of that last bit of fat.
ModeratorI know Teamliquid is known as a massive building
Thalandros
Profile Blog Joined July 2012
Netherlands1151 Posts
June 20 2015 23:13 GMT
#988
On June 21 2015 08:11 zatic wrote:
My opinion: Definitely start putting on muscle. 76kg @ 188 is way skinny.

If anything think about it in terms of diminishing returns. It will be comparatively easier to put on muscle now than to get rid of that last bit of fat.

So should I start eating at, a little bit, or a bunch above TDEE you think? ^^
|| ''I think we have all experienced passion that is not in any sense reasonable.'' ||
zatic
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
Zurich15366 Posts
June 20 2015 23:21 GMT
#989
On June 21 2015 08:13 Thalandros wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 21 2015 08:11 zatic wrote:
My opinion: Definitely start putting on muscle. 76kg @ 188 is way skinny.

If anything think about it in terms of diminishing returns. It will be comparatively easier to put on muscle now than to get rid of that last bit of fat.

So should I start eating at, a little bit, or a bunch above TDEE you think? ^^

Over, by how much depends on how your exercising goes I would say. I am not the right person to ask about a detailed plan though since for myself I don't really care that much about being lean.

BTW I think you have pleeeeeenty of room to gain still on 5x5 or a similar program once you back eating at a surplus.
ModeratorI know Teamliquid is known as a massive building
GoTuNk!
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Chile4591 Posts
June 21 2015 00:05 GMT
#990
So I got first on the bench press and 2nd on powerlifting at u83kg nationals, I'll do a write up tomorrow. I simply post focus on the squat and didn't do well (200 good, 220X x2), on the bench the bench was just awful and had problems with it so only did 162.5kg. On DL did 250 and 257.5 to secure 2nd place.

The guy that beat was a cuban WL with a 155/190 total at 85, he easily squatted 260 O_O, benched 160 and DL 290.

I did take my time to ask him tons of questions
Thalandros
Profile Blog Joined July 2012
Netherlands1151 Posts
June 21 2015 00:55 GMT
#991
On June 21 2015 08:21 zatic wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 21 2015 08:13 Thalandros wrote:
On June 21 2015 08:11 zatic wrote:
My opinion: Definitely start putting on muscle. 76kg @ 188 is way skinny.

If anything think about it in terms of diminishing returns. It will be comparatively easier to put on muscle now than to get rid of that last bit of fat.

So should I start eating at, a little bit, or a bunch above TDEE you think? ^^

Over, by how much depends on how your exercising goes I would say. I am not the right person to ask about a detailed plan though since for myself I don't really care that much about being lean.

BTW I think you have pleeeeeenty of room to gain still on 5x5 or a similar program once you back eating at a surplus.

Yeah, in the US atleast I'll switch back to it for a while. I want to focus on getting strong first and foremost. Not having a proper squat rack here doensn't help either. Guess I need a fresh start
|| ''I think we have all experienced passion that is not in any sense reasonable.'' ||
Ehzera
Profile Blog Joined August 2014
Singapore212 Posts
June 21 2015 02:57 GMT
#992
On June 20 2015 21:28 MtlGuitarist97 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 20 2015 19:33 JinDesu wrote:
I'm not the most knowledgeable, but I never really noticed a difference in upper back tension between sumo and conventional. Maybe if you do conventional with wide grip, it would help with back. But between sumo and conventional, I notice it taking more load off my lower back and transferring it to my glutes when doing sumo. The upper back tension remains the same in both ways for me.

I'd agree with this mostly, but I think there is a huge amount of extra back work done in terms of your spinal erectors and lats when it comes to conventional. Your traps work about the same in either lift, but your lats and erectors work much harder in conventional.

You may want to throw in some machine back work, and maybe start conventional for lighter weights to help back. A conventional pull is very weak for someone with your sumo deadlift. They should probably be within 85-90% of each other if you want to be well balanced. Maybe do some deficit deadlifts as an accessory exercise to help with your speed off the floor and get some extra back work. I'd also recommend doing lat pulldowns and some kind of cable or machine row (I've personally never liked barbell rows; never feel it in my lats and rhomboids).


Yeah man I just tried some Machine Rows today and damn I've never felt my lats before until today tbh! Gonna start pulling Conventional on my deadlift day too, starting with low low weight of course :'(

On June 20 2015 21:38 farvacola wrote:
Azera, what are your torso and leg measurements? I am almost certain that you are too tall and lanky to be benefitting from sumo over conventional.


What measurements am I supposed to have? I've been told a lot that I'm very stocky with short legs and long torso, making me better at squatting.

Full body vid of me deadlift a couple months ago:
+ Show Spoiler +
“A tree without roots is just a piece of wood.” - Marco Pierre White
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
June 21 2015 03:00 GMT
#993
It doesn't really matter what your measurements are, just stick to conventional deadlifting
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
Ehzera
Profile Blog Joined August 2014
Singapore212 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-06-21 09:36:21
June 21 2015 09:35 GMT
#994
On June 21 2015 12:00 farvacola wrote:
It doesn't really matter what your measurements are, just stick to conventional deadlifting




You're my inspiration
“A tree without roots is just a piece of wood.” - Marco Pierre White
Ehzera
Profile Blog Joined August 2014
Singapore212 Posts
June 21 2015 12:18 GMT
#995
Gonna be starting a DUP cycle from Greg Nuckols the week after! Exams this week so I won't be getting the time to sleep, let alone train.

Is there anything wrong with doing tricep/bicep/back assistance work 3x a week?
This is my spreadsheet, in case anybody wants to critique/improve it
+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]


Day 3 is just volume + speed squats

Not benching 2x or even 3x so I can save my messed up shoulders, so it's 1x bench 1x OHP per week
“A tree without roots is just a piece of wood.” - Marco Pierre White
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
June 21 2015 13:08 GMT
#996
Lol Azera, you're such a nerdddd
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
GoTuNk!
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Chile4591 Posts
June 21 2015 14:15 GMT
#997
If your shoulders hurt from benching, it means you have:

a) poor shoulder mobility
b) imbalanced shoulder strength: your font deltoid is stronger than your upper and posterior. You should rougly be doing the same front (bench), upper (ohp) and pulling with your shoulder (oly lifts, rows and apparently face pulls)
c) bad technique

Or a combination of all of the above in some way.

For my last meet, the week before the meet I benched every day without discomfort, for example.
GoTuNk!
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Chile4591 Posts
June 22 2015 15:15 GMT
#998
my 257.5kg DL at the meet

FiWiFaKi
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Canada9859 Posts
Last Edited: 2015-06-23 07:27:09
June 23 2015 07:06 GMT
#999
Nice one Gotunk! ^^

Anyway, had my Leg + Shoulder + Ab day. Was kinda meh, I went up 5lbs on my squat (210lb), and was so damn close from pushing out a 4th rep, but I was getting light headed, so I decided to slowly bring it down on the safety pins instead of risking passing out. 5lbs more, but 2 reps less is overall a loss I guess, was quite tired from biking 40km earlier in the day.

Improved sit up reps, as well as greater decline, so that was good, 5lbs more on the upright barbell row for traps, extra rep or two on sitting OHDP, 2.5lbs more for front as well as lateral raises, extra rep on a uhh dumbell c+j (no idea what it's called lol).

Also decided to swap out the plate twist for 30 second left side plank + 30 second regular plank + 30 right side plank. Dunno what to think yet, maybe I'll keep swapping the every week... Still figuring out what's optimal at my strength level.
In life, the journey is more satisfying than the destination. || .::Entrepreneurship::. Living a few years of your life like most people won't, so that you can spend the rest of your life like most people can't || Mechanical Engineering & Economics Major
Strongmang
Profile Joined June 2015
18 Posts
June 23 2015 13:58 GMT
#1000
Does any one know if eshlow still hangs around here? I strained my Achilles tendon and it's fucked... I have about 4 weeks until my next contest so this needs to get fixed ASAP!

Ps. Sick lift gotunk :D
Prev 1 48 49 50 51 52 234 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #2
ZZZero.O87
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
JuggernautJason183
BRAT_OK 57
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 15495
Artosis 824
Mini 237
ZZZero.O 87
Mind 79
Hyun 38
Bale 24
NaDa 23
Dota 2
qojqva2522
420jenkins596
League of Legends
Doublelift1774
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5968
Khaldor1310
Liquid`Hasu1031
MindelVK9
Other Games
summit1g6284
FrodaN1959
B2W.Neo712
byalli346
ToD215
Railgan38
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1286
BasetradeTV254
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream41
StarCraft 2
angryscii 33
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 49
• Adnapsc2 30
• Reevou 9
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 26
• Azhi_Dahaki23
• FirePhoenix8
• FT.aCt)Sony1
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie952
• Shiphtur262
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
3h 5m
Afreeca Starleague
14h 5m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
15h 5m
Monday Night Weeklies
20h 5m
Replay Cast
1d 3h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 14h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 15h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.