• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:06
CEST 06:06
KST 13:06
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)26Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder BW General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8266 users

TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 - Page 209

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 207 208 209 210 211 234 Next
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
July 02 2018 04:36 GMT
#4161
On July 01 2018 15:10 Malinor wrote:
Back to training. This is me doing 180kg for 7 on Squat / 110kg +chains for 2 on Bench. BW 112.2kg.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bkp0mYShfi0/?taken-by=hendrik_ksc

Squats have not felt good in weeks, so this was a pleasant surprise for me, I had more in the tank. And Bench Press with chains is just fun.
The scale is finally starting to move down, but I am doing this really slowly... back to ~105kg until the end of the year, hopefully.


Stronk. Squats look good. I managed 5x187kg for a PR yesterday, another week of volume before pushing for some heavier weights.
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
FreakyDroid
Profile Joined July 2012
Macedonia2616 Posts
July 02 2018 06:11 GMT
#4162
On June 30 2018 08:02 L_Master wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 30 2018 06:55 Jerubaal wrote:
Dude, I've explained it to you like 3 times.


And it's one opinion in a sea of others. If there even is a best universal way to eat is highly up for debate. I think most will agree with guidelines I layed out, but even some might question aspects of those.

Their isn't strong enough evidence to say confidently that eating any one way is "healthiest" beyond the most general of principles


I watched this video recently that makes a lot of sense to me: there isnt one universal diet that is good for every human being,we all react differently to different types of foods. Worth a watch I think


Smile, tomorrow will be worse
Jerubaal
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States7684 Posts
July 09 2018 18:22 GMT
#4163
@L_Master I'm going to temper my furious retort because I think you are trying to be helpful. And you called me smart, so I think that should be taken into consideration. That said, I cannot condone your attitude, which seems to discourage inquiry. Even if I accepted all of your statements, it still leaves much to be said.

I have explained that I'm investigating the CI/CO vs the Insulin Hypothesis. I had the bright idea to go through Norton's videos and try to figure out why he was so firmly in the CI/CO camp. I think that every natural science grad student should be required to take rhetoric and logic courses because so much of scientific discourse is academic. Almost nobody has actually done any of these experiments we talk about, but we can all see the results. Anywho, all I can really do is analyze his arguments. I can't say he really gave me any "aha" argument that I felt was completely convincing, but he did say a few things that were interesting.

-One of the big issues in nutritional science is that there often seems to be a disconnect between the laboratory science and the large scale studies. I think Norton, in his case, is too far on the laboratory science side. He repeatedly claims that studies show that high carb and even high sugar diets are just as good as high fat diets, when calories are controlled. Well, I haven't seen any of these studies, it was my understanding that explicitly no such study had ever been done, which is why NuSci is conducting such a study. It's my understanding that, instead, nutritional scientists have been trying, and failing, to recreate the China Study for the last 40-50 years. It should also be pointed out that a relatively healthy person should show a much smaller effect from carbs than a person with busted insulin resistance. An athlete might not have much of a difference between a cake and avocado because they are swinging the pendulum so hard in the other direction.

-Maybe the most interesting thing Norton said was that, in the presence of fat, very little carbohydrates will be converted into triglycerides, something he calls de novo fat generation. My first question is what happens to all of the excess carbs in a high carb diet? Surely not all of it can be converted to glycogen. Does it float around the bloodstream for a long time? Does it get excreted? There's also the possibility that he is wrong and either looking too closely at his biochemistry and not enough at the whole human or he's focusing on healthy people not unhealthy people. I've looked around and plenty of people saying carbs can be stored as fat. https://paleoleap.com/science-turning-carbs-to-fat-de-novo-lipogenesis/ for instance (includes links to studies). The sources I have read say that American fat intake has stayed steady since the 30s, sugar has skyrocketed, so that could be the case.

-It's more of an annoyance than anything, but it's irritating when he follows the Livestrong website and says "don't worry about insulin because it's really all about CI/CO". >.> "Don't worry about this competing paradigm because my paradigm is fine." Look, the thing about CI/CO as a theory is that it is fairly predictive. That's why it seems obvious. About 80% of the time, it's mostly right. And the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics IS always going to be in effect. If the person dies, the 2nd Law is in effect. That's not telling us anything about whether what's happening is the desired effect.

-So Mr. Eran Segal seems to appreciate the Insulin Hypothesis as well, or, at least, he realizes that the problems with insulin are not limited to having a few extra pounds on you. While interesting, his entire presentation boiled down to people having different carb sensitivities, with respect to type and amount. Ok, so some people can handle more carbs and different types of carbs without immediate adverse effects and some people can't. That doesn't qualify as enough evidence to me to say "there's no one best diet". Not everyone puts on muscle at the same rate. Some people need to go into the gym 5 times a week and some people only 3 times a week...They are doing the same thing, though.
I'm not stupid, a marauder just shot my brain.
Jerubaal
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States7684 Posts
July 11 2018 02:11 GMT
#4164
Oh one major thing I forgot was that even if Norton's assertion that there is little de novo lipogenesis of carbs, the insulin is still preventing the fat from being released.
I'm not stupid, a marauder just shot my brain.
IgnE
Profile Joined November 2010
United States7681 Posts
July 11 2018 02:54 GMT
#4165
So are you getting the results you want?
The unrealistic sound of these propositions is indicative, not of their utopian character, but of the strength of the forces which prevent their realization.
Jerubaal
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States7684 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-07-11 03:09:38
July 11 2018 03:08 GMT
#4166
I'm bulking right now. xD I had some significant weight/fat loss in the spring when I was working out 5x a week along with significant hypertrophy, while basically eating whatever. I'm on round two of that right now.

We were arguing about body fat % a while ago. One reason you might need to have a certain amount of body fat to gain muscle is because insulin is very anabolic.
I'm not stupid, a marauder just shot my brain.
IgnE
Profile Joined November 2010
United States7681 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-07-11 03:39:14
July 11 2018 03:38 GMT
#4167
I didn't know anybody was arguing that you should try to gain muscle on 5% body fat. I ate like a fucking monster for many years to put on muscle. It's actually work to eat enough to build significant muscle. It's not just a fun time. So yes, if you are working out hard enough, aren't very overweight already with an impaired metabolism, and want to gain muscle then I basically recommend eating whatever you want as long as you are getting enough protein.
The unrealistic sound of these propositions is indicative, not of their utopian character, but of the strength of the forces which prevent their realization.
L_Master
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States8017 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-07-16 22:19:54
July 16 2018 22:19 GMT
#4168
On July 10 2018 03:22 Jerubaal wrote:
@L_Master I'm going to temper my furious retort because I think you are trying to be helpful. And you called me smart, so I think that should be taken into consideration. That said, I cannot condone your attitude, which seems to discourage inquiry. Even if I accepted all of your statements, it still leaves much to be said.


I'll respond to this now, and possible to the in depth science specific parts if I have time later.

In no way am I discouraging inquiry. As someone who studied biology and medicine, and then moved on to engineering I'm strongly in favor of research, inquiry, and discussion.

My attitude is more or less than in order to have a meaningful discussion about any question revolving how something works that isn't purely philosophical you eventually need observation and data. If I wanted to argue with you that HIV doesn't cause AIDS, I could throw out mechanisms and conceptual ideas at you till I'm blue in the face, but until there is actual evidence, testing, and observations, it's just conjecture. Possibly well reasoned, plausible conjecture, but conjecture nonetheless. With data, we can go take a look as say "ah this seems to be whats happening". From there you can go back to discussing the why, usually followed up with more data and observations and so on.

My issue with nutrition is that I flat out don't think there is much "good" data. You can quote studies at me for one line of thinking, and I can come back with others and fire back at you. We know much of the data is heavily biased due to large investment or sponsorship from major food and drug companies.

In NO way do I think nutrition shouldn't continue to be researched. Over time, this will give us better data, particularly if we can find ways to make the science more rigorous and less free to corporate interest. Even saying things like "there is no best way to eat, it's individual" is something we may well come to understand overtime, likely through a combination of understanding individual genomics on eating as well as effects of gut microbiota and other epigentic factors. So no, inquiry should not stop. In fact, in an area like this it's more needed than ever.

EffOrt and Soulkey Hwaiting!
GoTuNk!
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Chile4591 Posts
July 31 2018 21:46 GMT
#4169
Hunger (Crossfit) Games start tomorrow morning, with the most brutal day 1 ever, even for Crossfit standards.

[image loading]
L_Master
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States8017 Posts
August 02 2018 18:15 GMT
#4170
How'd the CF Powerlifting meet followed me 2.5+ hour rowing turn out?
EffOrt and Soulkey Hwaiting!
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
August 03 2018 00:51 GMT
#4171
On August 03 2018 03:15 L_Master wrote:
How'd the CF Powerlifting meet followed me 2.5+ hour rowing turn out?

I know it rained between the men’s and women’s lifts and the platforms were out exposed to the weather so that can’t have been fun. Athletes should prepare for anything but organizers shouldn’t apparently.

GoTuNk!
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Chile4591 Posts
August 03 2018 04:38 GMT
#4172
On August 03 2018 09:51 phyre112 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 03 2018 03:15 L_Master wrote:
How'd the CF Powerlifting meet followed me 2.5+ hour rowing turn out?

I know it rained between the men’s and women’s lifts and the platforms were out exposed to the weather so that can’t have been fun. Athletes should prepare for anything but organizers shouldn’t apparently.


Yeah rain was somewhat bad, wasn't the worse in the world nothing that some chalk couldn't solve. People maxing out on squats without spotters was terrible to me, a guy missed a squat and tore his knee (some people said he missed it because he sliped on the platform but that didn't seem to be the case to me)

Tia's (60kg female) 188kg deadlift was by far the best lift.
infinity21 *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada6683 Posts
August 09 2018 16:17 GMT
#4173
So hard to keep working out consistently. At least I've been making up for missed workouts later in the week. Only at 75~90% of my previous maxes
Official Entusman #21
NonY
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
8751 Posts
August 09 2018 17:50 GMT
#4174
On July 02 2018 15:11 FreakyDroid wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 30 2018 08:02 L_Master wrote:
On June 30 2018 06:55 Jerubaal wrote:
Dude, I've explained it to you like 3 times.


And it's one opinion in a sea of others. If there even is a best universal way to eat is highly up for debate. I think most will agree with guidelines I layed out, but even some might question aspects of those.

Their isn't strong enough evidence to say confidently that eating any one way is "healthiest" beyond the most general of principles


I watched this video recently that makes a lot of sense to me: there isnt one universal diet that is good for every human being,we all react differently to different types of foods. Worth a watch I think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z03xkwFbw4&index=21

It's crazy to me how often people bring up glycemic index nowadays. Like look at this study, which they completed and published over 10 years ago, where they are concerned about how applicable the index is to any given person and so they're testing intra- and inter-individual variability. In other words, it's been suspected/known for a long time that individuals vary so much that the index is worthless. Using the index is like a lean and muscular person thinking they're overweight because they're looking at BMI. Or it's like someone looking up an estimate of their max heart rate based on age. It could be accurate but it's unlikely to be accurate for an individual. There's too much variance within the population for some general estimate to be useful.

Like the guy in the video says, anyone actually concerned about their blood glucose levels needs to test their own levels and just forget about the glycemic index. It's the only sensible way to do it. Eat whatever you want to eat and test. Change the foods/meals that cause an unhealthy response. Keep going until you find a diet you like that also yields healthy responses.
"Fucking up is part of it. If you can't fail, you have to always win. And I don't think you can always win." Elliott Smith ---------- Yet no sudden rage darkened his face, and his eyes were calm as they studied her. Then he smiled. 'Witness.'
mordek
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States12705 Posts
August 09 2018 19:52 GMT
#4175
On August 10 2018 01:17 infinity21 wrote:
So hard to keep working out consistently. At least I've been making up for missed workouts later in the week. Only at 75~90% of my previous maxes

I hear you man. Been super spotty all summer. Work, house and kids too stronk. I think I'm about to cut out of work early and lift right now for my first workout in weeks.
It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not to look ahead where eternal joy abides. Tiberius77 | Mordek #1881 "I took a mint!"
IgnE
Profile Joined November 2010
United States7681 Posts
August 10 2018 02:14 GMT
#4176
On August 10 2018 04:52 mordek wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 10 2018 01:17 infinity21 wrote:
So hard to keep working out consistently. At least I've been making up for missed workouts later in the week. Only at 75~90% of my previous maxes

I hear you man. Been super spotty all summer. Work, house and kids too stronk. I think I'm about to cut out of work early and lift right now for my first workout in weeks.


honestly can't relate
The unrealistic sound of these propositions is indicative, not of their utopian character, but of the strength of the forces which prevent their realization.
mordek
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States12705 Posts
August 10 2018 15:59 GMT
#4177
Not everything is for everyone I did have a decent lift so that was nice. Just need to find a good deal on some used gym equipment and set up in the garage and things will be easier.
It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not to look ahead where eternal joy abides. Tiberius77 | Mordek #1881 "I took a mint!"
Philozovic
Profile Joined August 2012
France1677 Posts
August 10 2018 18:39 GMT
#4178
Is the training plan (https://thetrainingplan.co/) a good crossfit program ?

I like to do WOD in my box, but I feel like the programing is very lacking even If I suck big time

I move out next week, garage gym incoming
INnoVation is the absolute best | I wept for i knew his words to be true
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
August 10 2018 21:04 GMT
#4179
On August 10 2018 04:52 mordek wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 10 2018 01:17 infinity21 wrote:
So hard to keep working out consistently. At least I've been making up for missed workouts later in the week. Only at 75~90% of my previous maxes

I hear you man. Been super spotty all summer. Work, house and kids too stronk. I think I'm about to cut out of work early and lift right now for my first workout in weeks.

Some of the dads at my gym have started hitting 4:30am workouts together cause of this lol. Sounds miserable but gotta do what ya gotta do
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
infinity21 *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada6683 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-08-10 22:57:32
August 10 2018 22:56 GMT
#4180
I have a "home" gym in my condo bedroom so not easy to do any kind of workout at odd hours without waking up my roommate. Hoping to move to a house one day so I can work out in peace and work on my car/projects.
Official Entusman #21
Prev 1 207 208 209 210 211 234 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 5h 54m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 227
SpeCial 22
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2037
Snow 61
NaDa 33
Bale 28
Noble 11
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm173
Counter-Strike
taco 560
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox1405
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1094
WinterStarcraft675
Other Games
summit1g8980
Doublelift2321
JimRising 676
PiGStarcraft290
ArmadaUGS183
C9.Mang0183
Maynarde138
ViBE79
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick782
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream155
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 88
• practicex 22
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki170
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo1170
• Rush627
• Stunt238
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
5h 54m
OSC
8h 54m
Stellar Fest
8h 54m
OSC
19h 54m
Stellar Fest
1d 8h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.