• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:22
CEST 20:22
KST 03:22
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site BSL Season 23 Klaucher discontinued / in-game color settings BW General Discussion Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8507 users

TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 - Page 207

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 205 206 207 208 209 234 Next
L_Master
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States8017 Posts
May 08 2018 21:14 GMT
#4121
I've done some coaching before with cycling/running, and it's a blast, especially with motivated athletes. I'm confident in most of what I do with people that aren't tremendously experienced, but I wouldn't have the confidence to work with elite athletes yet, some of the basics are the same...but the precision and tuning needed to bring the right mix of attributes to a peak at the right time is much different than coaching a newer athlete to just "get better".

EffOrt and Soulkey Hwaiting!
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
May 08 2018 21:58 GMT
#4122
Agreed. I feel great about just generally coaching myself to get stronger right now - I'm weak, by powerlifting standards and feeling really good about adding pounds to my total right now, but I know there's a coach involved somewhere in my future. I'm feeling pretty confident about adding ~200 lbs to my total (and 20 lbs to my bodyweight) by january, and we'll see how things go after that. Might be time for a coach somewhere post-400 wilks (1500 total)

@malinor If everything goes perfectly, I'd like to have a wilks around 370 (635 total @ 110) this year, 400 is somewhere off in the distance. Still, race you there.
FFGenerations
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
7088 Posts
May 09 2018 10:11 GMT
#4123
my soggy dinner is the best
Cool BW Music Vid - youtube.com/watch?v=W54nlqJ-Nx8 ~~~~~ ᕤ OYSTERS ᕤ CLAMS ᕤ AND ᕤ CUCKOLDS ᕤ ~~~~~~ ༼ ᕤ◕◡◕ ༽ᕤ PUNCH HIM ༼ ᕤ◕◡◕ ༽ᕤ
mordek
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States12705 Posts
May 09 2018 13:17 GMT
#4124
400 is pretty elite right? I don't think I'll ever reach that score. Maybe 350.
It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not to look ahead where eternal joy abides. Tiberius77 | Mordek #1881 "I took a mint!"
Malinor
Profile Joined November 2008
Germany4758 Posts
May 09 2018 20:21 GMT
#4125
I think most people would agree on something like this:
350 Advanced lifter
400 National level
450 International level
500 World class

These are only very rough estimates. If you are in the US you won't win much with 400 because there is just so many lifters. But in Germany you would probably be in the top10 of your weight class (top3 for women, because there is so few women lifting).
And the wilks formula is very kind to super heavy and super light lifters. It is not a perfect formula.

Anyway, I hope I will post a little bit more again in the future and battle Phyre a bit.
"Withstand. Suffer. Live as you must now live. There will, one day, be answer to this." ||| "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come."
Malinor
Profile Joined November 2008
Germany4758 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-05-09 20:26:57
May 09 2018 20:25 GMT
#4126
On May 09 2018 06:14 L_Master wrote:
I've done some coaching before with cycling/running, and it's a blast, especially with motivated athletes. I'm confident in most of what I do with people that aren't tremendously experienced, but I wouldn't have the confidence to work with elite athletes yet, some of the basics are the same...but the precision and tuning needed to bring the right mix of attributes to a peak at the right time is much different than coaching a newer athlete to just "get better".



Yeah, that surely is right. I love the idea of being a coach, it is really fun to work with motivated young people. But doing this at the elite level...that is just another ballgame. I already have a 50+ hour job ;-)
But somebody has to build up raw athletes into more advanced athletes. So this is a fine job for us.
"Withstand. Suffer. Live as you must now live. There will, one day, be answer to this." ||| "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come."
L_Master
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States8017 Posts
May 10 2018 00:33 GMT
#4127
On May 10 2018 05:25 Malinor wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 09 2018 06:14 L_Master wrote:
I've done some coaching before with cycling/running, and it's a blast, especially with motivated athletes. I'm confident in most of what I do with people that aren't tremendously experienced, but I wouldn't have the confidence to work with elite athletes yet, some of the basics are the same...but the precision and tuning needed to bring the right mix of attributes to a peak at the right time is much different than coaching a newer athlete to just "get better".



Yeah, that surely is right. I love the idea of being a coach, it is really fun to work with motivated young people. But doing this at the elite level...that is just another ballgame. I already have a 50+ hour job ;-)
But somebody has to build up raw athletes into more advanced athletes. So this is a fine job for us.


Yep. I REALLY enjoy it to. It's a legitimate hobby for me, and sometimes I'm almost trying to get friends to ride just so I can coach them. Problem is...it really takes up time. If you start trying to design decent training programs, especially with pure beginners there is a TON of overhead having to teach them how to do the workouts right, manage themselves in terms of pacing, etc. If I start working with 3-5 people, that can easily go to 10+hrs/wk alone, which is truthfully just too much time.

I almost want to monetize it, as I know my stuff (at least in endurance world) enough to do so. Problem is, while I developed the fitness to be a top 25 or so racer in my state...my actual bike racing skills, in large part due to natural risk avoidance, just aren't there so I don't have the race results to "validate" me when putting the name out there. Realistically I'd probably need to start coaching some decent bike friends of mine, and then let them promote me if they end up satisfied.

I don't want to make a career out of it, but if I was getting paid $15-20/hr for something like that and doing it on the side for 10-20 hours a week in school that would be really satisfying and a hell of a lot of fun.


EffOrt and Soulkey Hwaiting!
GoTuNk!
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Chile4591 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-05-10 00:38:24
May 10 2018 00:38 GMT
#4128
Over the last 3-4 months I've programmed my gf on her squat/bench/press/deadlift and pull ups, to fit them on her crossfit program. She has made massive improvements on her crossfit by virtue of gaining strength (her conditioning is naturally very good since she is small). It takes up a lot of time, even if it's mostly focused on some variaton of progressive overloading.
IgnE
Profile Joined November 2010
United States7681 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-05-10 02:55:19
May 10 2018 02:55 GMT
#4129
On May 10 2018 05:21 Malinor wrote:
I think most people would agree on something like this:
350 Advanced lifter
400 National level
450 International level
500 World class

These are only very rough estimates. If you are in the US you won't win much with 400 because there is just so many lifters. But in Germany you would probably be in the top10 of your weight class (top3 for women, because there is so few women lifting).
And the wilks formula is very kind to super heavy and super light lifters. It is not a perfect formula.

Anyway, I hope I will post a little bit more again in the future and battle Phyre a bit.


Man at my strongest I had over 500 in just deadlift and squat and I wasn't world class. This is bench/dead/squat? What weight class is this?
The unrealistic sound of these propositions is indicative, not of their utopian character, but of the strength of the forces which prevent their realization.
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
May 10 2018 04:09 GMT
#4130
On May 10 2018 09:33 L_Master wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 10 2018 05:25 Malinor wrote:
On May 09 2018 06:14 L_Master wrote:
I've done some coaching before with cycling/running, and it's a blast, especially with motivated athletes. I'm confident in most of what I do with people that aren't tremendously experienced, but I wouldn't have the confidence to work with elite athletes yet, some of the basics are the same...but the precision and tuning needed to bring the right mix of attributes to a peak at the right time is much different than coaching a newer athlete to just "get better".



Yeah, that surely is right. I love the idea of being a coach, it is really fun to work with motivated young people. But doing this at the elite level...that is just another ballgame. I already have a 50+ hour job ;-)
But somebody has to build up raw athletes into more advanced athletes. So this is a fine job for us.


Yep. I REALLY enjoy it to. It's a legitimate hobby for me, and sometimes I'm almost trying to get friends to ride just so I can coach them. Problem is...it really takes up time. If you start trying to design decent training programs, especially with pure beginners there is a TON of overhead having to teach them how to do the workouts right, manage themselves in terms of pacing, etc. If I start working with 3-5 people, that can easily go to 10+hrs/wk alone, which is truthfully just too much time.

I almost want to monetize it, as I know my stuff (at least in endurance world) enough to do so. Problem is, while I developed the fitness to be a top 25 or so racer in my state...my actual bike racing skills, in large part due to natural risk avoidance, just aren't there so I don't have the race results to "validate" me when putting the name out there. Realistically I'd probably need to start coaching some decent bike friends of mine, and then let them promote me if they end up satisfied.

I don't want to make a career out of it, but if I was getting paid $15-20/hr for something like that and doing it on the side for 10-20 hours a week in school that would be really satisfying and a hell of a lot of fun.




Yeah coaching is super time consuming. I love it but I had to start charging money for it just because I do spend a lot of my limited extra time on it. I've learned so much from my own lifting (mostly from what I've done wrong) and learning from others that it's fun to share that knowledge to help others.
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
FFGenerations
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
7088 Posts
May 10 2018 05:41 GMT
#4131
im offering cooking coaching , bring ur own butter
Cool BW Music Vid - youtube.com/watch?v=W54nlqJ-Nx8 ~~~~~ ᕤ OYSTERS ᕤ CLAMS ᕤ AND ᕤ CUCKOLDS ᕤ ~~~~~~ ༼ ᕤ◕◡◕ ༽ᕤ PUNCH HIM ༼ ᕤ◕◡◕ ༽ᕤ
Malinor
Profile Joined November 2008
Germany4758 Posts
May 10 2018 06:41 GMT
#4132
On May 10 2018 11:55 IgnE wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 10 2018 05:21 Malinor wrote:
I think most people would agree on something like this:
350 Advanced lifter
400 National level
450 International level
500 World class

These are only very rough estimates. If you are in the US you won't win much with 400 because there is just so many lifters. But in Germany you would probably be in the top10 of your weight class (top3 for women, because there is so few women lifting).
And the wilks formula is very kind to super heavy and super light lifters. It is not a perfect formula.

Anyway, I hope I will post a little bit more again in the future and battle Phyre a bit.


Man at my strongest I had over 500 in just deadlift and squat and I wasn't world class. This is bench/dead/squat? What weight class is this?


These numbers are Wilks points, not lb or kg.

If you were a 85kg male with 500wilks from DL and Squat alone, your Squat needs to be 350kg and your Deadlift 400kg ;-)
https://wilkscalculator.com/
"Withstand. Suffer. Live as you must now live. There will, one day, be answer to this." ||| "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come."
IgnE
Profile Joined November 2010
United States7681 Posts
May 10 2018 14:51 GMT
#4133
wilks points eh, yeah after messing around with that, those numbers seem about right
The unrealistic sound of these propositions is indicative, not of their utopian character, but of the strength of the forces which prevent their realization.
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-05-12 02:20:16
May 11 2018 23:58 GMT
#4134
On May 10 2018 11:55 IgnE wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 10 2018 05:21 Malinor wrote:
I think most people would agree on something like this:
350 Advanced lifter
400 National level
450 International level
500 World class

These are only very rough estimates. If you are in the US you won't win much with 400 because there is just so many lifters. But in Germany you would probably be in the top10 of your weight class (top3 for women, because there is so few women lifting).
And the wilks formula is very kind to super heavy and super light lifters. It is not a perfect formula.

Anyway, I hope I will post a little bit more again in the future and battle Phyre a bit.


Man at my strongest I had over 500 in just deadlift and squat and I wasn't world class. This is bench/dead/squat? What weight class is this?

https://wilkscalculator.com/

I think the highest wilks scores in history are actually over 600 raw, but 400 is definitely respectable, and anything over 500 is super-elite, world class for sure.

On May 09 2018 22:17 mordek wrote:
400 is pretty elite right? I don't think I'll ever reach that score. Maybe 350.

A 220 lb man only needs 1267.5 as a total for a 350 wilks. That’s 450/315/502.5

A 185 lb man can do the same with 1165 - that’s only 405/275/485. Absolutely anyone can reach that kind of number if they’re willing to put the time in. They’re respectable numbers for someone who lifts, but they’re not in any way exceptional.
L_Master
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States8017 Posts
May 12 2018 05:25 GMT
#4135
On May 12 2018 08:58 phyre112 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 10 2018 11:55 IgnE wrote:
On May 10 2018 05:21 Malinor wrote:
I think most people would agree on something like this:
350 Advanced lifter
400 National level
450 International level
500 World class

These are only very rough estimates. If you are in the US you won't win much with 400 because there is just so many lifters. But in Germany you would probably be in the top10 of your weight class (top3 for women, because there is so few women lifting).
And the wilks formula is very kind to super heavy and super light lifters. It is not a perfect formula.

Anyway, I hope I will post a little bit more again in the future and battle Phyre a bit.


Man at my strongest I had over 500 in just deadlift and squat and I wasn't world class. This is bench/dead/squat? What weight class is this?

https://wilkscalculator.com/

I think the highest wilks scores in history are actually over 600 raw, but 400 is definitely respectable, and anything over 500 is super-elite, world class for sure.

Show nested quote +
On May 09 2018 22:17 mordek wrote:
400 is pretty elite right? I don't think I'll ever reach that score. Maybe 350.

A 220 lb man only needs 1267.5 as a total for a 350 wilks. That’s 450/315/502.5

A 185 lb man can do the same with 1165 - that’s only 405/275/485. Absolutely anyone can reach that kind of number if they’re willing to put the time in. They’re respectable numbers for someone who lifts, but they’re not in any way exceptional.


Coan had to be over 600 tons of times, pretty sure his all time total had to be close to 650. Admittedly, not quite raw, but at the same time it was old school more or less single ply, and they didn't have the advantage of things like DL bar.
EffOrt and Soulkey Hwaiting!
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
May 12 2018 06:02 GMT
#4136
Looks like my best lifts of 232/135/240 (lol @ my poverty bench) at my current bw give me a wilks of 360

Started doing some linear progression deadlifting as part of my general strength training. Only at a relatively easy 3x5 @ 160kg atm and god damn do i miss deadlifting. Only lifting my body was built for.
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
GoTuNk!
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Chile4591 Posts
May 12 2018 13:55 GMT
#4137
easily +400 wilks lifter confirmed here. I'm such a talented bencher, wish powerlifting meets weren't so bad.
whiteLotus
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
1833 Posts
May 12 2018 14:05 GMT
#4138
On May 12 2018 22:55 GoTuNk! wrote:
easily +400 wilks lifter confirmed here. I'm such a talented bencher, wish powerlifting meets weren't so bad.


what do you mean bad?
The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame
L_Master
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States8017 Posts
May 12 2018 15:54 GMT
#4139
On May 12 2018 22:55 GoTuNk! wrote:
easily +400 wilks lifter confirmed here. I'm such a talented bencher, wish powerlifting meets weren't so bad.


In what sense? Just how long they are?
EffOrt and Soulkey Hwaiting!
GoTuNk!
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Chile4591 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-05-12 17:30:56
May 12 2018 17:30 GMT
#4140
On May 13 2018 00:54 L_Master wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 12 2018 22:55 GoTuNk! wrote:
easily +400 wilks lifter confirmed here. I'm such a talented bencher, wish powerlifting meets weren't so bad.


In what sense? Just how long they are?


Boring, underfunded, long, no prices. Doing a lift every 30 minutes in front of other lifters friend and family.

Not an Olympic Sport.
Prev 1 205 206 207 208 209 234 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
AI Arena Tournament
02:00
Swiss - Round 4
Laughngamez YouTube
FEL
01:00
ScienceCraft Qualifier
IndyStarCraft 257
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
IndyStarCraft 257
BRAT_OK 67
JuggernautJason19
MindelVK 17
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 25423
Mini 428
Hyuk 192
firebathero 175
ggaemo 131
Dewaltoss 68
Mong 47
Hyun 36
ToSsGirL 22
Dota 2
Gorgc10023
febbydoto2
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1380
crisheroes1076
Liquid`Hasu766
Other Games
Grubby3125
FrodaN2486
fl0m1079
Beastyqt743
mouzStarbuck189
KnowMe186
Livibee161
ArmadaUGS120
Mew2King52
Trikslyr43
ToD33
Chillindude28
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1008
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream36
[ Show 19 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• printf 78
• StrangeGG 51
• Adnapsc2 24
• LUISG 12
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 12
• blackmanpl 9
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 8605
• WagamamaTV299
Other Games
• imaqtpie602
• Shiphtur307
• tFFMrPink 8
Upcoming Events
BSL: Ladder Tournament
38m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
15h 38m
INu's Battles
17h 38m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
20h 38m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
1d
BSL Open Qualifier
1d
Replay Cast
1d 5h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 15h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 16h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 21h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.