• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 02:28
CEST 08:28
KST 15:28
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9379 users

TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 - Page 126

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 124 125 126 127 128 234 Next
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
September 01 2016 16:13 GMT
#2501
No. Don't.

Best article I've seen on diet and nutrition in general in a while
http://physiqonomics.com/eating-too-much/
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
Aerisky
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
United States12129 Posts
September 01 2016 18:15 GMT
#2502
Whoa, that was a pretty great read. Fun too :p

Is there any explanation for why one wouldn't gain weight despite having a pretty high caloric intake though? I don't have an explicit food diary (probably should), but I keep rough track of what I eat/drink every day; I think I get quite a bit in calories and it's highly unlikely I'm overreporting from what he mentions. I drink soda semi-regularly, eat as much as my friends who are similar height and weigh 20-40 lbs more than I do, eat 3 meals a day, work out 3-4x a week, and get my body weight in pounds in grams of protein, but I'm unable to gain weight/mass for whatever reason :/
Jim while Johnny had had had had had had had; had had had had the better effect on the teacher.
GoTuNk!
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Chile4591 Posts
September 01 2016 18:27 GMT
#2503
On September 02 2016 03:15 Aerisky wrote:
Whoa, that was a pretty great read. Fun too :p

Is there any explanation for why one wouldn't gain weight despite having a pretty high caloric intake though? I don't have an explicit food diary (probably should), but I keep rough track of what I eat/drink every day; I think I get quite a bit in calories and it's highly unlikely I'm overreporting from what he mentions. I drink soda semi-regularly, eat as much as my friends who are similar height and weigh 20-40 lbs more than I do, eat 3 meals a day, work out 3-4x a week, and get my body weight in pounds in grams of protein, but I'm unable to gain weight/mass for whatever reason :/


Are you lifting heavy weights regularly? And putting weight on the bar?

For some people it's harder, but putting on muscle mass is essentially lifting more in the compound lifts over time, doing some accesory work and getting enough protein and PWO carbs. It is that simple.
FFGenerations
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
7088 Posts
September 01 2016 18:29 GMT
#2504
On September 01 2016 23:19 Jerubaal wrote:
I'm going to run a little bit as an experiment to see if that helps weight loss. I actually don't expect too much, but I hope it will get me into shape enough to play full games of basketball.


running is amazing im making a s3rl mix il post it for you sometime maybe tomorrow
Cool BW Music Vid - youtube.com/watch?v=W54nlqJ-Nx8 ~~~~~ ᕤ OYSTERS ᕤ CLAMS ᕤ AND ᕤ CUCKOLDS ᕤ ~~~~~~ ༼ ᕤ◕◡◕ ༽ᕤ PUNCH HIM ༼ ᕤ◕◡◕ ༽ᕤ
IgnE
Profile Joined November 2010
United States7681 Posts
September 01 2016 18:31 GMT
#2505
running should get you in shape to play basketball

but so should playing basketball
The unrealistic sound of these propositions is indicative, not of their utopian character, but of the strength of the forces which prevent their realization.
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-09-01 19:57:36
September 01 2016 19:56 GMT
#2506
On September 02 2016 03:15 Aerisky wrote:
Whoa, that was a pretty great read. Fun too :p

Is there any explanation for why one wouldn't gain weight despite having a pretty high caloric intake though? I don't have an explicit food diary (probably should), but I keep rough track of what I eat/drink every day; I think I get quite a bit in calories and it's highly unlikely I'm overreporting from what he mentions. I drink soda semi-regularly, eat as much as my friends who are similar height and weigh 20-40 lbs more than I do, eat 3 meals a day, work out 3-4x a week, and get my body weight in pounds in grams of protein, but I'm unable to gain weight/mass for whatever reason :/


Your friends are probably eating snacks in between those 3 meals and you aren't (or moreso than you are.). It's absolutely astounding the amount of calories the average person gets from snacking in between meals without realizing it. If you're really serious about gaining weight, get a food scale and start a log (MFP or on paper.) I've been "gaining weight" for years (seven years now), but when I'm not tracking and just eat intuitively, my weight stagnates for six to eight months at a time, then I get serious and start tracking and it jumps up 10 pounds in 10-15 weeks like I want it to, until I get lazy again. Every single time it happens that way. Even if I'm "trying to eat more" while not tracking, I sit within a +/-4 pound range (based on salt/water/carbs) until I do decide to track.

On September 02 2016 03:31 IgnE wrote:
running should get you in shape to play basketball

but so should playing basketball

Running will get you in shape to play basketball faster than playing basketball will. It will also give you a chance to work on your running form, because RSI problems are huge in basketball, especially in people that don't do complementary strength training.
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
September 01 2016 20:08 GMT
#2507
Eh depends on the running and the basketball. Gruelling HIIT running workouts are probably better, but basketball (if you're not lazy) is basically tons of sprinting/jumping/agility etc.
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
Jerubaal
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States7684 Posts
September 01 2016 21:14 GMT
#2508
What's a s3rl mix? I only listen to Space Jam remixes. I've tried doing a little basketball, but it usually ends up with me feeling awful. I only have one speed, people, and that's balls out.
I'm not stupid, a marauder just shot my brain.
FFGenerations
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
7088 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-09-02 08:15:39
September 02 2016 02:36 GMT
#2509
this is s3rl

Cool BW Music Vid - youtube.com/watch?v=W54nlqJ-Nx8 ~~~~~ ᕤ OYSTERS ᕤ CLAMS ᕤ AND ᕤ CUCKOLDS ᕤ ~~~~~~ ༼ ᕤ◕◡◕ ༽ᕤ PUNCH HIM ༼ ᕤ◕◡◕ ༽ᕤ
Jerubaal
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States7684 Posts
September 02 2016 04:03 GMT
#2510
Ok, so this guy has pretty horrible organization and layout, but, based on what I think he's saying...

He starts off by describing a fairly common phenomenon: Someone has cut calories (allegedly) and probably added in some exercise, but they are not seeing much in the way of results. His conclusion? You must be lying. Not lying really, but basically stupid. Now I'm quite sure that this happens. I'm sure that plenty of people miscount or just don't know. But that argument is actually monumental. Because if we are going to believe him, then we aren't just saying a few people do this. We're saying that almost everyone who tries a calorie restricted diet does this, because almost everyone who tries it fails. I don't have a problem with admitting this possibility as a methodological problem, but the problem comes when researchers test low calorie diets and say: "We know low calorie diets work (hurr durr 1st Law of Thermodynamics), therefore they must be lying. Call up NIH and get another 10 million for yet another wash, rinse and repeat." This has basically been the last 50 years of nutritional science.

Now he gives us a lot of interesting information, but then he basically says none of it matters.

-Metabolism slows as you lose weight. Interesting, but fairly irrelevant unless you are losing a large amount of weight. His mistake though is thinking that this is the only mechanism that contributes to calorie input/output. He says right there what we all know...if you're on a calorie restriction, you are going to have less energy. It's like the reverse of the dinner party story. If I had a child that I wanted to keep very still and inactive, how would I do that? I'd underfeed them. Telling people to eat less and exercise more seems like a losing proposition from that angle.

-I also think he's misevaluating homeostasis. He's talking about a car that changes its speed based on how much fuel it has, but what if it's a car that wants to stay at the same speed no matter how much fuel it has. He says that if you're using the same amount of energy metabolically, you must be consuming the same amount. But what if the body was diverting energy or was getting energy from somewhere else? I think it's really telling that his starvation subjects still had 5% bodyfat. They had lost 25% of their total mass and yet still weren't in body builder fat range. Where was the mass going? The body was cannibalizing itself. So even if the body is getting into massive panic mode, it still hasn't used a sizeable portion of its fat reserve.

-The section on food density and hyper palatibility is kind of dumb. Does anyone really think that an apple has less calories than a donut? This also contradicts his more reasonable point that people don't know that "natural" foods like fruits have an excessive amount of calories, especially when consumed as juice. Yeah, we aren't eating straight table sugar, but we aren't eating a combination of sugar, fat and salt in a big ball either. These things don't taste good by themselves, they make other things taste better. There are lots of "hyperpalatible" sugar only things. I can't really think of any fat only "hyperpalatible" things. Are there any foods that they add fat to? Really just trans fats.

It's sad because he has all the facts there, he just doesn't put two and two together. To him, though, fat accumulation is just a calorie equation, so if reality doesn't fit his theory, it will have to be changed.
I'm not stupid, a marauder just shot my brain.
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
September 02 2016 05:46 GMT
#2511
On September 02 2016 11:36 FFGenerations wrote:
this is s3rl


I think the answer people were looking for (I was confused too but Google is neat) was "s3rl is an edm dj"
FFGenerations
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
7088 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-09-02 05:52:30
September 02 2016 05:48 GMT
#2512
he plays nightcore/happy hardcore, im never sure what edm is, isn't it what they use on dotacinema/wtf (like more like light dubstep)?
i just made that video it should answer any questions you have LOL its my best songs from him
Cool BW Music Vid - youtube.com/watch?v=W54nlqJ-Nx8 ~~~~~ ᕤ OYSTERS ᕤ CLAMS ᕤ AND ᕤ CUCKOLDS ᕤ ~~~~~~ ༼ ᕤ◕◡◕ ༽ᕤ PUNCH HIM ༼ ᕤ◕◡◕ ༽ᕤ
Garbels
Profile Joined July 2010
Austria653 Posts
September 02 2016 08:38 GMT
#2513
On September 02 2016 13:03 Jerubaal wrote:
-The section on food density and hyper palatibility is kind of dumb. Does anyone really think that an apple has less calories than a donut? This also contradicts his more reasonable point that people don't know that "natural" foods like fruits have an excessive amount of calories, especially when consumed as juice..


Are you saying an apple has more calories than a donut?
tofucake
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Hyrule19259 Posts
September 02 2016 12:47 GMT
#2514
when consumed as juice because the part with calories (the juice) is separated from most of the mass of the fruit (indigestible fiber) which means for a glass of apple juice is like eating 3 or 4 apples
Liquipediaasante sana squash banana
IgnE
Profile Joined November 2010
United States7681 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-09-02 14:30:07
September 02 2016 14:28 GMT
#2515
On September 02 2016 13:03 Jerubaal wrote:
Ok, so this guy has pretty horrible organization and layout, but, based on what I think he's saying...

He starts off by describing a fairly common phenomenon: Someone has cut calories (allegedly) and probably added in some exercise, but they are not seeing much in the way of results. His conclusion? You must be lying. Not lying really, but basically stupid. Now I'm quite sure that this happens. I'm sure that plenty of people miscount or just don't know. But that argument is actually monumental. Because if we are going to believe him, then we aren't just saying a few people do this. We're saying that almost everyone who tries a calorie restricted diet does this, because almost everyone who tries it fails. I don't have a problem with admitting this possibility as a methodological problem, but the problem comes when researchers test low calorie diets and say: "We know low calorie diets work (hurr durr 1st Law of Thermodynamics), therefore they must be lying. Call up NIH and get another 10 million for yet another wash, rinse and repeat." This has basically been the last 50 years of nutritional science.

Now he gives us a lot of interesting information, but then he basically says none of it matters.

-Metabolism slows as you lose weight. Interesting, but fairly irrelevant unless you are losing a large amount of weight. His mistake though is thinking that this is the only mechanism that contributes to calorie input/output. He says right there what we all know...if you're on a calorie restriction, you are going to have less energy. It's like the reverse of the dinner party story. If I had a child that I wanted to keep very still and inactive, how would I do that? I'd underfeed them. Telling people to eat less and exercise more seems like a losing proposition from that angle.

-I also think he's misevaluating homeostasis. He's talking about a car that changes its speed based on how much fuel it has, but what if it's a car that wants to stay at the same speed no matter how much fuel it has. He says that if you're using the same amount of energy metabolically, you must be consuming the same amount. But what if the body was diverting energy or was getting energy from somewhere else? I think it's really telling that his starvation subjects still had 5% bodyfat. They had lost 25% of their total mass and yet still weren't in body builder fat range. Where was the mass going? The body was cannibalizing itself. So even if the body is getting into massive panic mode, it still hasn't used a sizeable portion of its fat reserve.

-The section on food density and hyper palatibility is kind of dumb. Does anyone really think that an apple has less calories than a donut? This also contradicts his more reasonable point that people don't know that "natural" foods like fruits have an excessive amount of calories, especially when consumed as juice. Yeah, we aren't eating straight table sugar, but we aren't eating a combination of sugar, fat and salt in a big ball either. These things don't taste good by themselves, they make other things taste better. There are lots of "hyperpalatible" sugar only things. I can't really think of any fat only "hyperpalatible" things. Are there any foods that they add fat to? Really just trans fats.

It's sad because he has all the facts there, he just doesn't put two and two together. To him, though, fat accumulation is just a calorie equation, so if reality doesn't fit his theory, it will have to be changed.


He says its not as simple as calories in vs calories out. But I think he's basically right in that the vast majority of people who are trying to lose weight are just doing it wrong.

One easy response to your criticisms is that dieters aren't rational people. People don't pick their food for the month beforehand and only eat what's on the list for the day. So yeah people get fooled by things like food density and especially hyper palability all the time.
The unrealistic sound of these propositions is indicative, not of their utopian character, but of the strength of the forces which prevent their realization.
Garbels
Profile Joined July 2010
Austria653 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-09-02 17:34:42
September 02 2016 17:25 GMT
#2516
Ups. Double post.
Garbels
Profile Joined July 2010
Austria653 Posts
September 02 2016 17:33 GMT
#2517
On September 02 2016 21:47 tofucake wrote:
when consumed as juice because the part with calories (the juice) is separated from most of the mass of the fruit (indigestible fiber) which means for a glass of apple juice is like eating 3 or 4 apples

Thats not how it is. The fiber content is pretty low. Most of the apple is water same as the juice. So they are similar in calories.
But typically one would drink more juice than one would eat the whole thing(in terms of grams) but I don't think this is what he was saying.
Probably just meant to say more instead of less.
Jerubaal
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States7684 Posts
September 02 2016 19:13 GMT
#2518
On September 02 2016 17:38 Garbels wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 02 2016 13:03 Jerubaal wrote:
-The section on food density and hyper palatibility is kind of dumb. Does anyone really think that an apple has less calories than a donut? This also contradicts his more reasonable point that people don't know that "natural" foods like fruits have an excessive amount of calories, especially when consumed as juice..


Are you saying an apple has more calories than a donut?


I mistyped there, yes. I was trying to say "does anyone really think an apple has more calories than a donut". Although, it's pretty telling that an apple has only half many calories as a donut.

Miscounting calories could absolutely be an issue, but considering nutritionists can't get good results out of calorie restricted diets in even in controlled environments, I can't blame the average dieter too much. It's also clear that he seems to think sugar and fat are interchangeable and that you just need to count calories more.

Maybe I should settle for the two lines quips. I try to be thorough in my analyses, but I might come off as a tad obsessive.
I'm not stupid, a marauder just shot my brain.
IgnE
Profile Joined November 2010
United States7681 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-09-02 20:10:58
September 02 2016 20:09 GMT
#2519
On September 03 2016 04:13 Jerubaal wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 02 2016 17:38 Garbels wrote:
On September 02 2016 13:03 Jerubaal wrote:
-The section on food density and hyper palatibility is kind of dumb. Does anyone really think that an apple has less calories than a donut? This also contradicts his more reasonable point that people don't know that "natural" foods like fruits have an excessive amount of calories, especially when consumed as juice..


Are you saying an apple has more calories than a donut?


I mistyped there, yes. I was trying to say "does anyone really think an apple has more calories than a donut". Although, it's pretty telling that an apple has only half many calories as a donut.

Miscounting calories could absolutely be an issue, but considering nutritionists can't get good results out of calorie restricted diets in even in controlled environments, I can't blame the average dieter too much. It's also clear that he seems to think sugar and fat are interchangeable and that you just need to count calories more.

Maybe I should settle for the two lines quips. I try to be thorough in my analyses, but I might come off as a tad obsessive.


Have you looked at how most diet studies are done? There aren't many over an appreciable time frame with a significant population conducted in a completely controlled lab setting where everything ingested is recorded by third parties.

Although I'll be the first to admit that I think any dieter can eat as many apples as they want as long the rest of their diet is completely in order. It's the "rest of their diet is completely in order" part that 99% of people cannot achieve.
The unrealistic sound of these propositions is indicative, not of their utopian character, but of the strength of the forces which prevent their realization.
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
September 02 2016 21:44 GMT
#2520
Bodybuilding leg days suck.

Calves are my least favorite muscle on my entire body.
Prev 1 124 125 126 127 128 234 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 32m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
GuemChi 1021
910 108
Hyun 68
NotJumperer 45
Bale 34
sorry 25
Noble 11
ajuk12(nOOB) 7
Britney 0
Dota 2
febbydoto219
League of Legends
JimRising 610
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King137
Other Games
summit1g6843
Coldzera 719
WinterStarcraft388
C9.Mang0234
ceh9232
NeuroSwarm108
ViBE32
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick609
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream38
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• practicex 31
• Letter146
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2246
League of Legends
• Rush1181
• Lourlo1032
• Stunt364
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
3h 32m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4h 32m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
17h 32m
Patches Events
1d 9h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.