• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:47
CEST 01:47
KST 08:47
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Recent patches and the Future StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7423 users

Teamliquid Health and Fitness Initiative for 2014 - Page 121

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 119 120 121 122 123 173 Next
IgnE
Profile Joined November 2010
United States7681 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-08-20 23:55:30
August 20 2014 23:45 GMT
#2401
On August 21 2014 03:17 Najda wrote:
Why would low bar be worse for the SI joint than high bar?


Hamstring has to work on two joints: hip and knee. When torso is more upright, hamstring primarily works on knee.

Edit to clarify:

I think it's much easier to strain your QLs with a low bar squat with a lot of torso lean, as well as cause hip/SI joint problems and risk your spinal health. Olympic lifters have a lot of compression in their spine, and often compressed discs after years of lifting but I believe they experience fewer disc pathologies than powerlifters. When you have a lot of torso lean, your chest is at more risk of collapse, and if it does collapse, your back is at risk. That is why the proper spotting position for a low bar squatter is to hook your elbow under a persons shoulders to pull their chest up and help them complete the lift. Oly lifters can just dump the bar because the bar isn't so far out in front of their ass. When novices are learning to squat and don't have proper motor control patterns (through years of faulty motor patterns and lack of physical activity) they are at more risk for these issues, because they don't know how to properly brace their torso.
The unrealistic sound of these propositions is indicative, not of their utopian character, but of the strength of the forces which prevent their realization.
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
August 21 2014 01:00 GMT
#2402
^And this is why the "shut up and squat" mentality is so problematic; squatting correctly is a finely honed skill.
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
GoTuNk!
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Chile4591 Posts
August 21 2014 02:07 GMT
#2403
I'd like to think young kids are not idiots and the can squat,deadlift or bench without killing themselves.
.
That said, Klokov was pretty insistent on the importance of recovery. Sauna after every workout, full body massage after strength training, usually 1,5 hours for full body massage (T/T/S)
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-08-21 02:15:41
August 21 2014 02:15 GMT
#2404
Are you shitting me. If i had even half an hour of massage a couple times a week i would probably feel like fucking super man. So jealous.
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
GoTuNk!
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Chile4591 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-08-21 02:27:12
August 21 2014 02:17 GMT
#2405
On August 21 2014 11:15 decafchicken wrote:
Are you shitting me. If i had even half an hour of massage a couple times a week i would probably feel like fucking super man. So jealous.


Yeah same here lol.

I have a developed a pretty sick self massage routine for the legs though, did them yesterday after squats and felt like new. Like the real deal it takes like 30 mins though.

Other thing is that they have infra red saunas on their gyms, so they just dress inside and don't need to warm up.

Edit:

He said all russians train the same, what they change is the excercises depending on weaknesess in the lifts

M/W/F AM: 5 snatch exercises PM: 5 Clean and Jerk Exercise

T/T/S Strength training: Squat, Clean/snatch pulls, presses, jump squats

"When you traing strength muscles get short and tight. Jump squat are very light (I do 60kg) 5x5 going to bottom and extending knee to maximum. After massage always"

What is different from others (Chinese, bulgarian) is that they don't mix the oly lifts with strength training. I guess it has to do with the technique in both lifts which is with torso very foward (watch klokov or aukhadov) so you must train the first pull a lot to sustain that position without falling over.

A pretty extensive part of the seminar was on the assistance exercises and how to adress various problems in the lifts. I'll write on that later if someone is interested; pretty much every fancy thing you have seen him do in youtube has a purpose.
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
August 21 2014 02:49 GMT
#2406
Yes interested. Duh.
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
GoTuNk!
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Chile4591 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-08-21 04:24:12
August 21 2014 04:19 GMT
#2407
Ok, I think should be added as sticky in the Oly lifting Thread.
I'll try to make it coherent, but I might miss some ideas so I'll just mention them later lol.

General stuff:

"For olympic lifters balance is very important; legs and back have to be close in strength for best technique. However lifters with stronger backs specialize in snatch (me) and lifters with stronger legs and shoulders specialize in C & J (Ilya Ilin)"

"Most coaches can spot where is mistake in olympic lift. But a good coach knows WHY the mistake happens, and then HOW to fix mistake. For example, if athlete leans foward he might need stronger legs, yelling "don't lean foward" doesn't help".

"In crossfit (and powerlifting, added by me) ppl train really hard but get injured a lot. This is because they don't work on recovery. Olympic lifters do not injure regularly because we make sure muscles are not tight. Tight muscles make movement bad, bad movement causes injury"

"Many people find routines in the internet with exercises, reps, sets and percentages, and copy them. This is bullshit (exact klokov works). Most important is HOW you do exercises, second WHY you do them."

"In the Olympic lifts you need to teach your body to catch correctly, you CAN'T think. You lift and your body catches, thinking is too slow. Muscle memory is very important".

Snatch:

"For the snatch, when you go for PR is natural to get scared and think of bottom position, instead of the lift itself.

To make mind ready for the catch, drop snatch (you put bar in your back and drop down to snatch position) with more weight than PR must be done some times, and also light drop snatch as warmup. My best drop snatch is 245kg (LOL), so I felt very confident and now I'm not scared when I snatch.

Sometimes you catch at bottom but far falls, this is very frustrating. This happens because body has not been taught how to fight the bar. To teach this, I do klokov press (PBN he said lol) and when arms are very tired, do an overhead squat. The movement with arms shacking conditions the body to fight the bar

Sometimes when you snatch, the bar goes a bit foward and you drop it You can teach body to catch the bar (muscle memory) by doing front barbell raises in the bottom snatch position. My best result in this exercise is 75kgx3 (LOL I can barely do it with a stick). Of course when I snatch 200kg I can't save the bar like this, but if the bar is a bit foward I can hold it, bounce and take a step foward and save the lift.
zatic
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
Zurich15366 Posts
August 21 2014 05:15 GMT
#2408
Weather finally allowed paragliding yesterday. It's really not a very hard "exercise" by itself, but man, I am completely wrecked today from 12h of flying around mountains. Super happy though!
ModeratorI know Teamliquid is known as a massive building
IgnE
Profile Joined November 2010
United States7681 Posts
August 21 2014 05:34 GMT
#2409
What are front barbell raises in the bottom snatch position?
The unrealistic sound of these propositions is indicative, not of their utopian character, but of the strength of the forces which prevent their realization.
GoTuNk!
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Chile4591 Posts
August 21 2014 05:43 GMT
#2410
On August 21 2014 14:34 IgnE wrote:
What are front barbell raises in the bottom snatch position?


IgnE
Profile Joined November 2010
United States7681 Posts
August 21 2014 05:49 GMT
#2411
Oh fuck.
The unrealistic sound of these propositions is indicative, not of their utopian character, but of the strength of the forces which prevent their realization.
ShadeR
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Australia7535 Posts
August 21 2014 06:30 GMT
#2412
lol at that. I feel like im going to snap my delts pulling groceries out of the passenger footwell.
SoleSteeler
Profile Joined April 2003
Canada5472 Posts
August 21 2014 09:54 GMT
#2413
http://robertsontrainingsystems.com/downloads/SMR-manual.pdf

This was another good foam roller resource. I've rolled my whole body today. Wonder how the gym will go in the morning.
mordek
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States12705 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-08-21 11:49:58
August 21 2014 11:49 GMT
#2414
On August 21 2014 14:49 IgnE wrote:
Oh fuck.

LOL what the heck.

Thanks for the write-up gotunk!
@ that video, are his feet normally pointed that wide during a snatch?
It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not to look ahead where eternal joy abides. Tiberius77 | Mordek #1881 "I took a mint!"
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-08-21 14:03:20
August 21 2014 13:57 GMT
#2415
On August 21 2014 14:43 GoTuNk! wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 21 2014 14:34 IgnE wrote:
What are front barbell raises in the bottom snatch position?


http://youtu.be/NsGu8t3qQWw


...what the fuck. That is insanity.

Also, klokov just announced he's not going to rio.
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
zulu_nation8
Profile Blog Joined May 2005
China26351 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-08-21 22:28:56
August 21 2014 22:10 GMT
#2416
I'm having pretty bad hip flexor problems still with squats and it's now at the point that I'm only comfortable doing the same weight for work sets as my bench work set. My deadlift is still 100 lbs more and looks to be at the correct weight though I get a tiny bit of pain after those also. I was looking at this: http://breakingmuscle.com/mobility-recovery/squats-and-hip-dysfuction-2-common-problems-and-how-to-fix-them

and I'm fairly certain through my internet researched personal diagnosis that my weak glutes are the cause. I was told to stick my butt out more the last time someone watched me squat, and by not doing that, it's probably placing too much stress on my flexors. Igne told me to sit in squat position for 10min everyday, which I'm doing. I'm also stretching and can do this:

[image loading]

without any problems and pushing my hips forward as far as I can possibly go. So mobility and flexibility is probably not the cause. I've also been doing glute bridges on rest days and pre-workout and some other glute stuff before squatting. Should I take a break from squatting? What else can I do to strengthen glutes and practice correct form? I don't wanna bench more than I can squat and attract weird stares.

Basically on warm up sets at about 80% of the workset and worksets, I experience a sharp pain near my hip flexor area as I'm coming up. Sometimes I squat through it but sometimes with 1 day rest, the pain gets pretty bad and I lower the weight.
GoTuNk!
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Chile4591 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-08-22 02:02:29
August 22 2014 02:02 GMT
#2417
On August 22 2014 07:10 zulu_nation8 wrote:
I'm having pretty bad hip flexor problems still with squats and it's now at the point that I'm only comfortable doing the same weight for work sets as my bench work set. My deadlift is still 100 lbs more and looks to be at the correct weight though I get a tiny bit of pain after those also. I was looking at this: http://breakingmuscle.com/mobility-recovery/squats-and-hip-dysfuction-2-common-problems-and-how-to-fix-them

and I'm fairly certain through my internet researched personal diagnosis that my weak glutes are the cause. I was told to stick my butt out more the last time someone watched me squat, and by not doing that, it's probably placing too much stress on my flexors. Igne told me to sit in squat position for 10min everyday, which I'm doing. I'm also stretching and can do this:

[image loading]

without any problems and pushing my hips forward as far as I can possibly go. So mobility and flexibility is probably not the cause. I've also been doing glute bridges on rest days and pre-workout and some other glute stuff before squatting. Should I take a break from squatting? What else can I do to strengthen glutes and practice correct form? I don't wanna bench more than I can squat and attract weird stares.

Basically on warm up sets at about 80% of the workset and worksets, I experience a sharp pain near my hip flexor area as I'm coming up. Sometimes I squat through it but sometimes with 1 day rest, the pain gets pretty bad and I lower the weight.


sounds like a tight muscle to me. try supersetting 10-20 light squats (feel the pump) with that stretch until you feel it going away. Make sure your legs are equally flexible.

If that doesn't work get a sports massage.

FS 155kgx1, 140kgx3x8 (PR)
Clean pulls 90x3, 110kgx3, 120kgx1 (focus on pulling up instead of backwards), Clean deadlift 125x3
OHP 60kg x7 x7 x5 x5 x5
Jump squats 30kgx5x5
zulu_nation8
Profile Blog Joined May 2005
China26351 Posts
August 22 2014 02:10 GMT
#2418
so do one set of 10-20 at a light weight on top of the warm up sets?
SoleSteeler
Profile Joined April 2003
Canada5472 Posts
August 22 2014 02:54 GMT
#2419
It seems I still have an issue with depth at higher weights (100kg). First set I recorded and I wasn't low enough. I went lower on most reps in the following sets but I also need to work on keeping my torso more upright.

Anyone have any recommendations on videos/stretches/mental queues to think about on keeping the torso near vertical in the high bar squat? I've googled quite a few already... I think I just really need to get into third world squat positions and actually hold it there for 10 minutes instead of 30-45 seconds. And then work on keeping the torso upright...
GoTuNk!
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Chile4591 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-08-22 03:31:16
August 22 2014 03:29 GMT
#2420
On August 22 2014 11:10 zulu_nation8 wrote:
so do one set of 10-20 at a light weight on top of the warm up sets?


As a general rule when something hurts you warm up more.

After workout do 10-20 light squats to pump, stretch. Then repeat as many times as needed (both squats and stretches) until you feel the muscle loosening up and getting longer. To stretch psoas in tha position you need to squeeze the glutes and reduce the knee angle a bit (on that position you'll feel more pressure in the quad)

Also I think the weak glute thing is non sense since your deadlift is way higher than your squat.
Prev 1 119 120 121 122 123 173 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 10h 13m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 664
Artosis 543
White-Ra 128
910 42
Dota 2
monkeys_forever514
NeuroSwarm178
Counter-Strike
m0e_tv125
Super Smash Bros
AZ_Axe121
PPMD79
Heroes of the Storm
Trikslyr99
Other Games
summit1g8055
shahzam615
JimRising 438
C9.Mang0328
ArmadaUGS76
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick654
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream327
Other Games
BasetradeTV197
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 126
• Letter142
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki18
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
10h 13m
Afreeca Starleague
10h 13m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d
Kung Fu Cup
1d 11h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.