• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:44
CEST 03:44
KST 10:44
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach0[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon101Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool The Death of Cheese: From a Professional Cheeser
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach StarCraft Human 'N' AI League
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 12790 users

2013 - 2014 Football Thread - Page 832

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 830 831 832 833 834 907 Next
Time to move on to the next thread http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sports/460943-2014-2015-football-thread
RvB
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Netherlands6322 Posts
May 10 2014 17:30 GMT
#16621
On May 11 2014 02:23 Mensol wrote:
Whole story from Ibra's mouth:

+ Show Spoiler +
Around this time with played a friendly with Sweden against Holland in Stockholm. Just a friendly, but none of us had forgotten the loss in the Euros and of course we wanted to show that we could beat Holland. The whole team was full of revenge, and it was an offensive, quite aggressive game, and already early in the game I got the ball just outside the box. Immediately four dutch players were all over me. One of them was Rafael van der Vaart, and they were all pulling me. It was a tough situation, but I pushed my way through it and got the ball to Mattias Jonson who was all clear. He scored 1-0, and afterwards van der Vaart was lying down and had pains. He was carried out on a stretcher with an injury to a ligament in his ankle, he wasn't too badly injured. But maybe he would miss a game or two, and in the newspapers he said that I had injured him deliberately. I jumped. What kind of shit was that? It wasn't even a foul, and he's talking about deliberately. And that guy was my captain!

I called him: "Listen, I'm sorry, I'm sad about your injury, and I apologize, I didn't do it on purpose, do you hear me?" And I said the same thing to the press. I said it a hundred times. But van der Vaart continued talking, and I just couldn't understand it. Why the fuck would he talk shit about his own teammate? It was insane. Or was it really?

I started thinking, because don't forget, it was August and the transfer window was open. Maybe he wanted to fight his way out of the club? Or fight ME out of the club for that matter? It wasn't the first time tricks like that were used, and the guy got media down there with him too. He was the dutch guy. He was the darling of the gossip pages, and I was the bad boy and all that, the foreigner. "Are you serious?", I said when I met him at practice. And apparently he was.
"Okay, okay", I said. "Then let me tell you one last time. It was not on purpose. Do you hear me?"
"I hear you!"
Still he wouldn't back an inch, and the atmosphere in the club became more and more intense. The whole team was divided in two. The dutch were on Rafael's side, and the foreigners on mine. Eventually Koeman called for a meeting, and by that time the whole thing was driving me insane. What the fuck? Accuse me of shit like that? I was boiling inside and up there in the lunch room on the third floor we all sat down in a circle, and I could feel it in the air immediately. It was serious. The management had decided we had to reconcile. We were key players and we had to be friends. But there weren't exactly any openings. Rafael went on harder than ever.
"Zlatan did it on purpose", he said and my eyes turned black.
What the fuck, why couldn't he just give up?
"I didn't hurt you on purpose, and you know that, and if you accuse me of that one more time I will break both your legs. And this time it will be on purpose", I said, and of course, everyone on van der Vaart's side started: "You see, you see, he's aggressive. He's crazy", and Koeman tried to calm things down:
"We don't have to go that far, we will work this out."

But to tell the truth, it didn't feel likely, and then we were called up to Louis van Gaal, the director. He and I had some fights before, and it didn't feel like the best thing to go there together with van der Vaart. It wasn't exactly like I was surrounded by friends, and van Gaal started his power talk immediately:
"I am the director here", he said.
Like, thanks for the info!
"And I'm telling you", he continued. "Bury the hatchet. When Rafael is well again, you are playing together!"
"Definitely not", I said. "As long as he's on the field, I'm not playing."
"What are you saying?", van Gaal replied. "He is my captain, you will play with him! You do it for the club."
"Your captain?" I said. "What kind of bullshit is that? Rafael goes to the media and says I injured him on purpose. What kind of captain is that? One who attacks his own teammates? I'm not playing with him, not a chance. Never. You can say whatever you want."
And then I left. It was a risky gamble. But of course, I was empowered by knowing I had things going with Juventus.


Practicing golf swing on Ibrahimovic's face? yeah... He is definitely one of the nicest footballer off the pitch... No doubt most of dutch people hate Ibra because vdV made him look like a murderer.

Most people here love Ibra what are you talking about.
Mensol
Profile Joined September 2012
14536 Posts
May 10 2014 17:35 GMT
#16622
On May 11 2014 02:30 RvB wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 11 2014 02:23 Mensol wrote:
Whole story from Ibra's mouth:

+ Show Spoiler +
Around this time with played a friendly with Sweden against Holland in Stockholm. Just a friendly, but none of us had forgotten the loss in the Euros and of course we wanted to show that we could beat Holland. The whole team was full of revenge, and it was an offensive, quite aggressive game, and already early in the game I got the ball just outside the box. Immediately four dutch players were all over me. One of them was Rafael van der Vaart, and they were all pulling me. It was a tough situation, but I pushed my way through it and got the ball to Mattias Jonson who was all clear. He scored 1-0, and afterwards van der Vaart was lying down and had pains. He was carried out on a stretcher with an injury to a ligament in his ankle, he wasn't too badly injured. But maybe he would miss a game or two, and in the newspapers he said that I had injured him deliberately. I jumped. What kind of shit was that? It wasn't even a foul, and he's talking about deliberately. And that guy was my captain!

I called him: "Listen, I'm sorry, I'm sad about your injury, and I apologize, I didn't do it on purpose, do you hear me?" And I said the same thing to the press. I said it a hundred times. But van der Vaart continued talking, and I just couldn't understand it. Why the fuck would he talk shit about his own teammate? It was insane. Or was it really?

I started thinking, because don't forget, it was August and the transfer window was open. Maybe he wanted to fight his way out of the club? Or fight ME out of the club for that matter? It wasn't the first time tricks like that were used, and the guy got media down there with him too. He was the dutch guy. He was the darling of the gossip pages, and I was the bad boy and all that, the foreigner. "Are you serious?", I said when I met him at practice. And apparently he was.
"Okay, okay", I said. "Then let me tell you one last time. It was not on purpose. Do you hear me?"
"I hear you!"
Still he wouldn't back an inch, and the atmosphere in the club became more and more intense. The whole team was divided in two. The dutch were on Rafael's side, and the foreigners on mine. Eventually Koeman called for a meeting, and by that time the whole thing was driving me insane. What the fuck? Accuse me of shit like that? I was boiling inside and up there in the lunch room on the third floor we all sat down in a circle, and I could feel it in the air immediately. It was serious. The management had decided we had to reconcile. We were key players and we had to be friends. But there weren't exactly any openings. Rafael went on harder than ever.
"Zlatan did it on purpose", he said and my eyes turned black.
What the fuck, why couldn't he just give up?
"I didn't hurt you on purpose, and you know that, and if you accuse me of that one more time I will break both your legs. And this time it will be on purpose", I said, and of course, everyone on van der Vaart's side started: "You see, you see, he's aggressive. He's crazy", and Koeman tried to calm things down:
"We don't have to go that far, we will work this out."

But to tell the truth, it didn't feel likely, and then we were called up to Louis van Gaal, the director. He and I had some fights before, and it didn't feel like the best thing to go there together with van der Vaart. It wasn't exactly like I was surrounded by friends, and van Gaal started his power talk immediately:
"I am the director here", he said.
Like, thanks for the info!
"And I'm telling you", he continued. "Bury the hatchet. When Rafael is well again, you are playing together!"
"Definitely not", I said. "As long as he's on the field, I'm not playing."
"What are you saying?", van Gaal replied. "He is my captain, you will play with him! You do it for the club."
"Your captain?" I said. "What kind of bullshit is that? Rafael goes to the media and says I injured him on purpose. What kind of captain is that? One who attacks his own teammates? I'm not playing with him, not a chance. Never. You can say whatever you want."
And then I left. It was a risky gamble. But of course, I was empowered by knowing I had things going with Juventus.


Practicing golf swing on Ibrahimovic's face? yeah... He is definitely one of the nicest footballer off the pitch... No doubt most of dutch people hate Ibra because vdV made him look like a murderer.

Most people here love Ibra what are you talking about.

okay, i change my statement. People who love vdV "usually" hates Ibra.
If you don't know what the fuck you are doing, how are your enemies supposed to know what the fuck you are doing. - imaqtpie on NA teams at Worlds.
Twisted
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
Netherlands13554 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-05-10 18:22:51
May 10 2014 18:17 GMT
#16623
I love them both. What he did back then was just a despicable thing, that's all.

On May 11 2014 02:29 sharkie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 11 2014 02:12 Twisted wrote:
What does that have anything to do with him being nice or not.
No-one knows the circumstances about that except the people involved. If you want to believe what tabloids write, go ahead. I've also read that it was his wife cheating on him.


I just wanted to say that cheating, regardless of the circumstances, is not a nice thing. And it makes me sad that a footballer who does that still could be considered as one of the nice footballers around. :/


Thing is, what he did or didn't do in his private life is of ill concern to me. No-one really knows what's real about that stuff anyway so I'd rather not care about it. The way he behaves on and off the pitch when it's about football, is great. The way he conducts himself in interviews, the way he plays, the way he talks about his colleagues etc. He's always very respectful when it comes to his footballing.
Moderator
mevshero
Profile Joined December 2009
911 Posts
May 10 2014 18:26 GMT
#16624
On May 11 2014 00:29 sharkie wrote:
Btw Bayern barely edged out a 1-0 vs a team which had literally nothing to play for.
Stuttgart didnt care one bit if they lose/draw/win today, they also played away. Pepe really killed Bayern for this season.


earliest championship in the history of the bundesliga, championsleague semi-finals and still the chance for winning the double. yeah, it was a terrible season!


Kleinmuuhg
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Vanuatu4091 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-05-10 18:31:05
May 10 2014 18:27 GMT
#16625
vdV played terrible since he went to the HSV, failed as a captain in pushing his mates and furthermore he is a dick since before the last game vs real when all of the bundesliga was supporting bayern he said he hopes they lose.
also i dont care if he or his wife cheated first, his fault for marrying such a .. woman

On May 11 2014 03:26 mevshero wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 11 2014 00:29 sharkie wrote:
Btw Bayern barely edged out a 1-0 vs a team which had literally nothing to play for.
Stuttgart didnt care one bit if they lose/draw/win today, they also played away. Pepe really killed Bayern for this season.


earliest championship in the history of the bundesliga, championsleague semi-finals and still the chance for winning the double. yeah, it was a terrible season!



also thanks for this , someone had to say it
This is our town, scrub
Ferrose
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States11378 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-05-10 19:21:06
May 10 2014 18:55 GMT
#16626
On May 11 2014 00:29 Influ wrote:
Leverkusen played so bad in the second half of the season that I felt they deserve to lose CL but I also think Wolfsburg needs another year to be CL worthy. But as I know Bundesliga teams they will underachive badly next season and this season will be worth nothing.


The season goes from August to May. Not January to May. Besides, it's pretty sad that Wolfsburg is one of the highest spending teams in the entire league and this is the first time they've qualified for Europe since 2009.

Leverkusen should be a lot better next season. It seems like the main problem was Sami Hyypiä, because the team's form has been fantastic since he was sacked. And now they have Roger Schmidt (manager of Red Bull Salzburg) coming in to be the new manager next season. Gonna be wearing my Leverkusen shirt with pride today. B)

Poor Augsburg missed out on Europa League by a single point
@113candlemagic Office lady by day, lonely woman at night. | Official lolicon of thread 94273
SynC[gm]
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
United States3127 Posts
May 10 2014 19:29 GMT
#16627
What made Leverkusen a good team in the beginning half of the season as opposed to the later half of the season? Was it injuries forcing players to miss games? Or just the team was just outright playing against better competition?
twitch.tv/dizzywee
smr
Profile Joined April 2011
Germany4808 Posts
May 10 2014 19:44 GMT
#16628
I think Leverkusen was overperforming a tiny bit during the first half. And iirc Sam injured shortly after and together with the news of his transfer to Schalke that seemed like a big blow.

It's going to be really interesting who they are going to pick up during the summer. Wolfsburg, after de Bruyne and Perisic became stable, seemed alot stronger.
Greg_J
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
China4409 Posts
May 10 2014 22:03 GMT
#16629
Pretty impresive goal in the League One Play offs
malcram
Profile Joined November 2010
2752 Posts
May 11 2014 04:36 GMT
#16630
ha, i was about to link that goal too. reminds me of bergkamp's goal when i saw it lol
Maenander
Profile Joined November 2002
Germany4927 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-05-11 09:47:48
May 11 2014 09:40 GMT
#16631
On May 11 2014 01:55 Twisted wrote:
Anyway, he still has insane qualities, but they are wasted at a team as disorganized as HSV. When he joined Tottenham a couple years ago, he was easily among the best players there and they still had Modric and Bale. As for the general opinion in Germany, it's fueled by your tabloids like Bild and shit that he sucks right now and is useless, but that's just because he should be playing for a team that have qualities outside fight and physical prowess. He doesn't deserve the abuse by so-called experts in Germany.


Actually fight and physical prowess are not qualities this HSV team possesses. And the wage budget of HSV is insane compared to what the team delivers. It's not like this was a cheap as dirt team before van der Vaart arrived.

On April 05 2014 20:53 HwangjaeTerran wrote:
I've read in a few places that some of the players felt they were responsible for Leverkusen doing so badly.
If the players just over performed...that could be a real problem. I doubt Lewandowski was the missing link, Hyypiä was pretty much in charge during their joint season.

It seems like Lewandowski was the missing link, Leverkusen performed much better with him at the helm ever since Hyypiä left.
Ferrose
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States11378 Posts
May 11 2014 10:57 GMT
#16632
My fellow Americans, here is your TV guide for the final day of the Premier League season:

[image loading]

Personally I'm cheering for Liverpool to win the title. But I don't think it's very likely.
@113candlemagic Office lady by day, lonely woman at night. | Official lolicon of thread 94273
zulu_nation8
Profile Blog Joined May 2005
China26351 Posts
May 11 2014 11:16 GMT
#16633
Not that anyone's "deserving" of winning the title this year but Liverpool should be made to live with their screw up.
Micro_Jackson
Profile Joined August 2011
Germany2002 Posts
May 11 2014 11:56 GMT
#16634
On May 11 2014 19:57 Ferrose wrote:
My fellow Americans, here is your TV guide for the final day of the Premier League season:

[image loading]

Personally I'm cheering for Liverpool to win the title. But I don't think it's very likely.


Wait "Syfy" is sending sports? I always thought they focus... i dont on science fiction?
zulu_nation8
Profile Blog Joined May 2005
China26351 Posts
May 11 2014 12:03 GMT
#16635
it's a parody but i don't get some of it
Ayush_SCtoss
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
India3051 Posts
May 11 2014 12:06 GMT
#16636
Hoping for an upset by the hammers tonight. Also not expecting much from our lineup today. Might want to conserve some legs for the 17th.
End my suffering
malcram
Profile Joined November 2010
2752 Posts
May 11 2014 13:17 GMT
#16637
Michael Owen in the studio watching the clip of Stevie G rallying the team after the City game, he actually teared a little.
Pandemona *
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Charlie Sheens House51493 Posts
May 11 2014 13:51 GMT
#16638
Chelsea team is interesting
Ashley Cole gets captain and is only one out of the 3 that is in team who is out of contract at the end of season (all be it Lampard is ill). No JT either.

Interesting, hope they get 1 more year each at least. But might not
ModeratorTeam Liquid Football Thread Guru! - Chelsea FC ♥
Pandemona *
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Charlie Sheens House51493 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-05-11 14:16:29
May 11 2014 14:05 GMT
#16639
Chelsea game delayed for balloons...AHAHAH

Also Torres in his last game for chelsea misses an open goal inside 5 minutes good job


First goal of the evening, Sunderland 0-1 Swansea. I think Sunderland partied to hard after guaranteeing staying up xD (Dyer 7min)

GOALLLL

Hull 0-1 Everton (McCarthy 9min)

Sunderland 0-2 Swansea - Marvin Emnes 13min

Spurs 1-0 Villa - Paulinhooooooo 14min

Cardiff 1-0 Chelsea - Bellamy/Own Goal (Huge deflection)
ModeratorTeam Liquid Football Thread Guru! - Chelsea FC ♥
NuclearJudas
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
6546 Posts
May 11 2014 14:19 GMT
#16640
Loool Suarez. Took a free kick super quick and actually scored, but the ref brought the play back.
Life is like Tetris. Your errors pile up but your accomplishments disappear. - Robert Ohlén | http://railroaddiary.wordpress.com/ - My words about stuff.
Prev 1 830 831 832 833 834 907 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
00:00
2026 GSTL: Grand Finals
CranKy Ducklings116
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
23:00
OSC Masters Cup #151 Qualifier
davetesta31
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 190
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 11354
White-Ra 264
Dota 2
monkeys_forever872
NeuroSwarm175
febbydoto16
League of Legends
Doublelift6203
JimRising 667
Counter-Strike
minikerr30
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox870
Other Games
summit1g9537
Maynarde201
ArmadaUGS68
Mew2King37
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick369
BasetradeTV195
StarCraft: Brood War
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 7
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 89
• Letter143
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
8h 16m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
9h 16m
Monday Night Weeklies
14h 16m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 8h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 8h
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 22h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.