• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:48
CEST 05:48
KST 12:48
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck?
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6550 users

TL Health and Fitness Initiative 2012 - Page 38

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 36 37 38 39 40 379 Next
Zafrumi
Profile Joined June 2009
Switzerland1272 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-25 23:17:26
January 25 2012 23:16 GMT
#741
On January 26 2012 07:34 Orpheos wrote:
Im i the only one who feels squatting wasnt that hard to learn? Im not really scared of them at all.
deadlifts on the other hand >_< scare my lower back.


yeah squats arent that hard imo. but yeah, risk of injury is always there of course. its just kind of a stupid arguments not to do squats and go play basketball instead imo but lets move on

speaking of crossfit chicks, check out this blog:
http://wildgorillaman.blogspot.com/

[image loading]

like, oh em gee!
"Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general" -Mark Rippetoe
sJarl
Profile Joined September 2010
Iceland1699 Posts
January 25 2012 23:17 GMT
#742
I've said it before but I'll say it again: Misha is the fucking best.

"Witness!" - Karsa Orlong
ludic123
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Norway161 Posts
January 25 2012 23:20 GMT
#743
eshlow, i get some small pains and stiffness in my lower back after deadlifts. I've asked several instructors to spot my technique, and they say it looks pretty okay. Could it just be that I'm not flexible enough? Should I stop deadlifting, or just continue and see if the "problems" disappear?
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
January 25 2012 23:34 GMT
#744
On January 26 2012 08:06 steelANDmalice wrote:
Thanks for the advice Phyre I shall stop taking excedrin , I sent my girlfriend out to pick me up some fish oil and she asked the pharmacist what I should take and he told her to get me muscle and back pain ASA 500mg it has methocarbamol 400mg and acetylsalicylic 500mg but doesn't say if it has any Ibuprofen. Is this a good enough substitute?


Pharmacist is much more qualified than I am of course . If you asked him for an anti inflammatory, I'm sure he gave you the right stuff. Ibuprofen is just the "basic" response when an anti-inflam is needed, and it's available everywhere, so it's the recommendation online like this.

@orpheos I've had a HELL of a time learning to squat properly. The deadlift on the other hand is the most natural movement in the world. I'm not built to squat though, long limbs, slim build. I've injured myself seriously (knees) doing them before, but I think I've got it down now.
Daigomi
Profile Blog Joined May 2006
South Africa4316 Posts
January 25 2012 23:47 GMT
#745
On January 26 2012 07:34 Orpheos wrote:
Im i the only one who feels squatting wasnt that hard to learn? Im not really scared of them at all.
deadlifts on the other hand >_< scare my lower back.

Same as everyone else, deadlift came easy to me and squat was damn hard. I must have "fixed" my squat technique at least four times. Also, if you look in your typical gym, I'd guess that at most, 20% of people squat properly. I'm not sure what the stats are for deadlift since so few people deadlift where I gym, but I can't believe that it's anything near as bad.
Moderator
AndyJay
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Australia833 Posts
January 26 2012 00:00 GMT
#746
I've gone to my gym most days in the last 3 months and I've seen someone deadlift beside me once.
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
January 26 2012 00:17 GMT
#747
On January 26 2012 08:20 ludic123 wrote:
eshlow, i get some small pains and stiffness in my lower back after deadlifts. I've asked several instructors to spot my technique, and they say it looks pretty okay. Could it just be that I'm not flexible enough? Should I stop deadlifting, or just continue and see if the "problems" disappear?

Do some mobility work from the spine section here and see if it helps

http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2010/02/so-you-hurt-your-lower-back/

Whatever helps... keep doing it like everyday
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
GoTuNk!
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Chile4591 Posts
January 26 2012 00:43 GMT
#748
On January 26 2012 08:20 ludic123 wrote:
eshlow, i get some small pains and stiffness in my lower back after deadlifts. I've asked several instructors to spot my technique, and they say it looks pretty okay. Could it just be that I'm not flexible enough? Should I stop deadlifting, or just continue and see if the "problems" disappear?


Are you keeping your abs really really tight?
Orpheos
Profile Joined April 2010
United States1663 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-26 00:52:30
January 26 2012 00:50 GMT
#749
On January 26 2012 08:47 Daigomi wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 26 2012 07:34 Orpheos wrote:
Im i the only one who feels squatting wasnt that hard to learn? Im not really scared of them at all.
deadlifts on the other hand >_< scare my lower back.

Same as everyone else, deadlift came easy to me and squat was damn hard. I must have "fixed" my squat technique at least four times. Also, if you look in your typical gym, I'd guess that at most, 20% of people squat properly. I'm not sure what the stats are for deadlift since so few people deadlift where I gym, but I can't believe that it's anything near as bad.


meh I guess Im always scared my back is over arched or too rounded or w/e combined with the fact that deadlift is the heaviest weight makes me scared. i guess its more scared than "hard to learn" because im more scared about a flimsy back in a pivoting motion than my giant leg muscles in a pushing motion.

oh and @ zafrumi... pretty much the only thing you can say to those pics is "DAT ASS". more of a breast man myself but DAYUM.
TheResidentEvil
Profile Joined September 2010
United States991 Posts
January 26 2012 01:13 GMT
#750
Just keep your back straight and focus on pushing the floor with your legs. Deadlift is ez but squats i am still trying to get right :/
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
January 26 2012 01:24 GMT
#751
Misha is a fucking badass. "10 kids waiting to beat me up so i go into sport"

On January 26 2012 07:34 Orpheos wrote:
Im i the only one who feels squatting wasnt that hard to learn? Im not really scared of them at all.
deadlifts on the other hand >_< scare my lower back.


Yeah i never really had a problem squatting. I mean i did it wrong for a while but i didn't have any trouble correcting my technique. Deadlifting came really natural to me once i learned to keep my back straight, i've got a short torso and long ass limbs.
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
ludic123
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Norway161 Posts
January 26 2012 01:42 GMT
#752
On January 26 2012 09:43 GoTuNk! wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 26 2012 08:20 ludic123 wrote:
eshlow, i get some small pains and stiffness in my lower back after deadlifts. I've asked several instructors to spot my technique, and they say it looks pretty okay. Could it just be that I'm not flexible enough? Should I stop deadlifting, or just continue and see if the "problems" disappear?


Are you keeping your abs really really tight?


Oh, do I need to do that? I guess I'll try and see if it helps. Thanks. And thanks, eshlow. I'll try out those exercises. Can i deadlift in the meantime, or should i postpone till' I've done the exercises a few times?
Crawler
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Estonia248 Posts
January 26 2012 02:23 GMT
#753
+ Show Spoiler +
On January 26 2012 08:16 Zafrumi wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 26 2012 07:34 Orpheos wrote:
Im i the only one who feels squatting wasnt that hard to learn? Im not really scared of them at all.
deadlifts on the other hand >_< scare my lower back.


yeah squats arent that hard imo. but yeah, risk of injury is always there of course. its just kind of a stupid arguments not to do squats and go play basketball instead imo but lets move on

speaking of crossfit chicks, check out this blog:
http://wildgorillaman.blogspot.com/

[image loading]

like, oh em gee!


Haven't been able to visit gym for last 4 weeks because of my back injury from squats. Obviously squats are still great but it's getting tired to see all that "squat or you are a faggot" mentality here.
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
January 26 2012 02:33 GMT
#754
On January 26 2012 11:23 Crawler wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
On January 26 2012 08:16 Zafrumi wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 26 2012 07:34 Orpheos wrote:
Im i the only one who feels squatting wasnt that hard to learn? Im not really scared of them at all.
deadlifts on the other hand >_< scare my lower back.


yeah squats arent that hard imo. but yeah, risk of injury is always there of course. its just kind of a stupid arguments not to do squats and go play basketball instead imo but lets move on

speaking of crossfit chicks, check out this blog:
http://wildgorillaman.blogspot.com/

[image loading]

like, oh em gee!


Haven't been able to visit gym for last 4 weeks because of my back injury from squats. Obviously squats are still great but it's getting tired to see all that "squat or you are a faggot" mentality here.


I think this is a more accurate view of the general mentality:
As far as his alternatives - I agree they are in no way substitutes. But lets face it, many lifters are afraid of squats. They look hard, they ARE hard, they're talked about as being dangerous, the bar hurts the neck and shoulders at first, and you usually won't want to walk after you're done with them. It takes a special kind of person to get excited about such a challenge, and not everyone can step up to that without help. For those people - yes please, get some leg work in even if it is only leg press, leg curl and sports (although I would be inclined to say pistol squat with dumbbells, or single leg press along with GHR and back hyperextension or good morning gets the job done better.)


If you're not squatting and have a good reason, then that's cool. But for the goals many people set squatting is a phenomenal way to get there. Besides, did you see DAT ASS???
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
GoTuNk!
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Chile4591 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-26 02:43:22
January 26 2012 02:41 GMT
#755
On January 26 2012 10:42 ludic123 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 26 2012 09:43 GoTuNk! wrote:
On January 26 2012 08:20 ludic123 wrote:
eshlow, i get some small pains and stiffness in my lower back after deadlifts. I've asked several instructors to spot my technique, and they say it looks pretty okay. Could it just be that I'm not flexible enough? Should I stop deadlifting, or just continue and see if the "problems" disappear?


Are you keeping your abs really really tight?


Oh, do I need to do that? I guess I'll try and see if it helps. Thanks. And thanks, eshlow. I'll try out those exercises. Can i deadlift in the meantime, or should i postpone till' I've done the exercises a few times?


You don't just "need" to do that, it is like THE MOST important thing in deadlifting. The abs and the back work together to straighten your midsection, so the more tight your abs are, less stress on your back. (It's actually a bit more elaborated than that, but it's basically it. Tight abs = more IAP = less back muscle stress).

But more important, the more IAP (intra abdominal pressure), more weight you can lift in everything, and specially in the deadlift. It is just that simple. That's why you can deadlift more with a belt aswell.

Edit: I learnt to deadlift from another source than starting strength, and I never actually read that section of SS given how strong my deadlift is compared to my other lifts.
AoN.DimSum
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States2983 Posts
January 26 2012 03:27 GMT
#756


Also deadlifted 140x2x3 relatively easy. I was surprised because my max deadlift is 145
by my idol krokkis : "U better hope Finland wont have WCG next year and that I wont gain shitloads of skill, cause then I will wash ur mouth with soap, little man."
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-26 04:01:47
January 26 2012 04:01 GMT
#757
Got my ass kicked (actually, more my mid back, shoulders and cardio kicked) by lifeguarding class today. Could barely finish ~500m of swimming, going to start practicing that on sundays and try to pull it up to 750m-1km total before I have to take the waterfront laps test. Anyone have any advice for swimming? technique, programs, breathing advice, whatever?

Only strokes involved in lifeguarding are front crawl and breast stroke, so I don't need to worry about anything else.
Froadac
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States6733 Posts
January 26 2012 04:06 GMT
#758
On January 26 2012 13:01 phyre112 wrote:
Got my ass kicked (actually, more my mid back, shoulders and cardio kicked) by lifeguarding class today. Could barely finish ~500m of swimming, going to start practicing that on sundays and try to pull it up to 750m-1km total before I have to take the waterfront laps test. Anyone have any advice for swimming? technique, programs, breathing advice, whatever?

Only strokes involved in lifeguarding are front crawl and breast stroke, so I don't need to worry about anything else.

Having been a lifeguard pre-surgery (never worked, but did get certified) the only way to get good advice is to have somebody who knows that they are doing tell you what you are doing wrong. Also, in terms of improving endurance generally best way to do that is just more laps...
Froadac
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States6733 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-26 04:13:13
January 26 2012 04:12 GMT
#759
Well, I'm about a month and a half in. Gained 5 pounds, gaining strength. For my height and weight, I think my squat is pretty damn good. Unfortunately 5 pounds were gained in last 2 weeks, nothing before. Hopefully my "1/2 GOMAD + no leftovers + cook eggs / rice / eat almond or chocolate / squeeze in peanutbutter diet thingy will be successful.. I'll take a picture in a couple more weeks for progress.

The most frustrating thing is my upper body lifts aren't moving, and my upper body isn't growing. It's all in legs >.>
steelANDmalice
Profile Joined October 2011
87 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-26 04:33:04
January 26 2012 04:29 GMT
#760
Omg DimSum your legs are looking pretty jacked, keep up the good work!

Also any one have any experience using a TENS unit? my dad said he will lend me one if it will help. I remember using one for my hip when I use to go see a physical therapist through my football coach just wondering if it will have the same effects or if it even really does anything for you.
Prev 1 36 37 38 39 40 379 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 6h 12m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 219
ProTech131
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 17716
Rain 1454
GuemChi 641
sSak 43
Bale 23
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm191
LuMiX1
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 1022
taco 462
minikerr37
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox1021
Mew2King69
Other Games
summit1g7651
JimRising 637
WinterStarcraft579
C9.Mang0170
ViBE121
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1066
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream50
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Light_VIP 18
• Letter148
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo786
• Stunt277
Other Games
• Shiphtur744
• Scarra718
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
6h 12m
INu's Battles
7h 12m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
9h 12m
OSC
18h 27m
Replay Cast
19h 12m
OSC
1d 19h
Big Brain Bouts
2 days
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.