• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:51
CEST 20:51
KST 03:51
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)59Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Bot on ladder Data analysis on 8 million games BW General Discussion Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7699 users

TL Health and Fitness Initiative 2012 - Page 379

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 377 378 379
Deadeight
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United Kingdom1629 Posts
January 01 2013 21:36 GMT
#7561
On January 02 2013 05:09 decafchicken wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 02 2013 04:55 MtlGuitarist97 wrote:
On January 02 2013 04:46 phyre112 wrote:
On January 02 2013 00:45 MtlGuitarist97 wrote:
Hey I actually have a kind of random question for TL:

I'm 15 and have been doing some weight lifting (no barbell exercises, the closest thing to free weights I use are like 20 lb dumbbells), but I was wondering if there is any legitimate effect that barbell exercises can have on my growth? I'm not very big @5'7 140 lbs or ~63.5 kg with ~10% body fat, so I don't want to stunt my growth if there are any effects it might have on me. Thanks for any feedback/advice.


The study that most people cite saying exercise will stunt your growth, even if they dont know where theyre actually getting this information from was condducted on malnourished children in a mining camp. More recent, scientifically valid research is either inconclusive or leads us to believe that the same hormone release that stimulatesmuscle growth is good for growth. As long as you eat, it should be all good.


Ok thanks for the response. Are there any moves I should start with at first? I know squatting/deadlifting/benching are really popular with power lifters, but are there any moves that are just good to do and have a low chance of causing me to injure myself?

Yes, squats deadlifts and bench



I'd probably say squats, deadlifts, overhead press and chin-ups to start with.
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
January 01 2013 22:21 GMT
#7562
I'd agree with that.
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
MtlGuitarist97
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States1539 Posts
January 01 2013 22:34 GMT
#7563
On January 02 2013 06:36 Deadeight wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 02 2013 05:09 decafchicken wrote:
On January 02 2013 04:55 MtlGuitarist97 wrote:
On January 02 2013 04:46 phyre112 wrote:
On January 02 2013 00:45 MtlGuitarist97 wrote:
Hey I actually have a kind of random question for TL:

I'm 15 and have been doing some weight lifting (no barbell exercises, the closest thing to free weights I use are like 20 lb dumbbells), but I was wondering if there is any legitimate effect that barbell exercises can have on my growth? I'm not very big @5'7 140 lbs or ~63.5 kg with ~10% body fat, so I don't want to stunt my growth if there are any effects it might have on me. Thanks for any feedback/advice.


The study that most people cite saying exercise will stunt your growth, even if they dont know where theyre actually getting this information from was condducted on malnourished children in a mining camp. More recent, scientifically valid research is either inconclusive or leads us to believe that the same hormone release that stimulatesmuscle growth is good for growth. As long as you eat, it should be all good.


Ok thanks for the response. Are there any moves I should start with at first? I know squatting/deadlifting/benching are really popular with power lifters, but are there any moves that are just good to do and have a low chance of causing me to injure myself?

Yes, squats deadlifts and bench



I'd probably say squats, deadlifts, overhead press and chin-ups to start with.


I do work out and I can do pull ups (around 12 or so straight unweighted). I do workout but have sort of steered away from barbell exercises because I've been afraid of hurting myself.

I do some lifts like chest press, shoulder press, rows and a couple of other ones, but they're all on machines so it limits the RoM. I'm not starting at zero as I've been working out a bit, just wanted to know where to start with barbell exercises.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I've been lurking these forums for a while, just never felt manly enough to post anything lol.
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
January 02 2013 00:10 GMT
#7564
So are we making a new topic for the new year or.... just keeping this one? :p
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
Deadeight
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United Kingdom1629 Posts
January 02 2013 00:18 GMT
#7565
The best advice I could give is to buy Starting Strength. Or get the pdf online, realise how amazing it is, and then buy it because you decide the author deserves a sale. It's worth it to learn how to do all the lifts properly.
Mementoss
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Canada2595 Posts
January 02 2013 00:19 GMT
#7566
http://www.bmj.com/content/345/bmj.e7279

Thought this study might be relevant to what someone was talking about earlier for young males training.

On January 02 2012 08:14 Mementoss wrote:
Mementoss
Age: 21 || Height: 5'8" || Weight: 153 lbs
Starting Date: 01/01/12 || Goal Date: 12/31/12
Weight goals -- 165-170 lbs
Training goals -- Current || Goal [1 rep max]
Bench -- 165 lbs || 225 lbs
Squat -- 230 lbs || 315 lbs
Deadlift -- 295 lbs || 405 lbs
Press -- 110 lbs || 135 lbs
Nutrition goals -- Eat more often. Try to get protein at every meal.
Sleep goals -- Get better at falling asleep, go to bed before 12am.

Not sure if my goals are too high or too low. Only time will tell. I will be very happy with myself when I hit these numbers.


End of year 2012:
Bench 215 lbs (-10 of goal)
Squat 285 lbs (-30 of goal)
Deadlift 355 lbs (-50 of goal)
Press 135 (goal achieved)
Weight 165 (goal achieved)

I guess I need to eat better and train harder and smarter. I need to focus on my weak points in my lifts more and max out more often, as when I was doing that I see more progress. I guess I will start the new year trying to hit my old goals, while remaining the same weight and re-assess from there.

Mementoss
Age: 22 || Height: 5'8" || Weight: 165 lbs
Starting Date: 01/01/13 || Goal Date: 12/31/13
Weight goals -- 165
Training goals -- Current || Goal [1 rep max]
Bench -- 215 lbs || 255 lbs
Squat -- 285 lbs || 315 lbs
Deadlift -- 355 lbs || 405 lbs
Press -- 135 lbs || 150 lbs
Nutrition goals -- Eat out at resturants less, more protein, less carbs
Sleep goals -- Keep consistent with sleep.

Im happy with my weight, as long as I can get stronger and maintain my current weight I will be happy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu96xMwFVXw
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
January 02 2013 01:10 GMT
#7567
On January 02 2013 09:10 eshlow wrote:
So are we making a new topic for the new year or.... just keeping this one? :p

New topic imo. I like them separated by year
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
GuiltyJerk
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States584 Posts
January 02 2013 04:59 GMT
#7568
On January 02 2013 10:10 decafchicken wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 02 2013 09:10 eshlow wrote:
So are we making a new topic for the new year or.... just keeping this one? :p

New topic imo. I like them separated by year



I agree with this man :D
Froadac
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States6733 Posts
January 02 2013 07:08 GMT
#7569
Yeah, I would agree with the new topic motion. Nice to see you eshlow.

Also, finally making real progress, I think mostly because i"m at home and eating more again. I'll try and remold my habits at school.
zatic
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
Zurich15366 Posts
January 05 2013 14:10 GMT
#7570
New year, new thread:

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=391282

Once again, thanks a ton to eshlow for the continued effort you put into this thread and the whole TLHF subforum and community! This would never have grown into such an excellent part of TL without you!
ModeratorI know Teamliquid is known as a massive building
Prev 1 377 378 379
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 10m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
UpATreeSC 229
ProTech164
BRAT_OK 55
JuggernautJason28
MindelVK 21
CosmosSc2 18
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 22991
Shuttle 685
Hyuk 168
White-Ra 146
Dewaltoss 103
firebathero 73
Trap 49
ToSsGirL 28
Sacsri 24
Rock 17
[ Show more ]
Bale 17
Shine 17
Dota 2
Gorgc9761
qojqva1507
Counter-Strike
fl0m1560
Fnx 811
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King89
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby2113
Khaldor1361
crisheroes1215
Liquid`Hasu468
Other Games
summit1g3642
FrodaN1517
Beastyqt571
Mlord329
XBOCT291
ArmadaUGS183
C9.Mang0179
QueenE83
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV255
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream57
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH325
• StrangeGG 75
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 17
• FirePhoenix9
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie879
• Shiphtur329
Upcoming Events
OSC
3h 10m
CranKy Ducklings
15h 10m
Online Event
16h 10m
FEL
21h 10m
AI Arena Tournament
22h 10m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 15h
INu's Battles
1d 17h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.