• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:31
CEST 17:31
KST 00:31
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site BSL Season 23 Klaucher discontinued / in-game color settings BW General Discussion Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8928 users

[GSL] S3 Grand Finals - Page 225

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Tournaments
Post a Reply
Prev 1 223 224 225 226 227 231 Next
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
December 18 2010 17:26 GMT
#4481
On December 19 2010 02:12 arterian wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 19 2010 01:43 decaf wrote:
It's not the race that wins, it's the player.
If MC was playing Terran and Rain Protoss, Terran would have won. So nerf terran QQ.
The game is almost perfectly balanced. It is unbelievable how balanced this game already is, they did an amazing job. But I think 10 sec build time decrease for phoenixes may be overkill.


The 10 second build time decrease is because currently if you were to watch a Zerg player throw down a Spire and responded immediately by dropping a Stargate, you can only get out 1 Phoenix by the time it finishes at which point he'll start building X amount of Mutas, usually more than 6.


lol what? If I ever drop down a spire and plan on going muta's he'll easily have 2+ phoenix's and you don't want to make muta once you see phoenix because phoenix can kite muta's forever lolol.

But as for MC he's a beast he has amazing defense and just can't believe how well he played ^^
When I think of something else, something will go here
diesirae
Profile Joined August 2010
United States37 Posts
December 18 2010 17:28 GMT
#4482
On December 18 2010 21:04 Chocobo wrote:
I really can't understand the hate here. Everything that isn't a super defensive, take 3 bases and mass up to 200/200 game is called "cheese" and everyone pretends that it wasn't any fun to watch.

Sorry guys, there's 87 thousand dollars on the line and the players are going to choose to use the gameplans that they feel will make them the most likely to win. The purpose of these games is not your entertainment, it's to determine the winner of the tournament.

Rain pulls off a very well executed tank-heavy timing attack in game 1, and MC very skillfully deflects it in a game that everyone on these forums would have lost. I thought it was very exciting, and forum posters are just complaining "one base cheese" and "no skill".

On Xel'naga Caverns, Rain completely throws off his opponent with a clever fake-out, cripples MC with banshees... but holy crap, MC is actually somehow defending it! It's just barely not good enough though, and Rain grabs the win in a game I thoroughly enjoyed. I check the forums and see "lame cheeser" "that's the only way Rain can win".

On Steppes, MC gets scouted while trying to proxy, but just goes for it anyway. I never thought I'd see a game like this at a pro level, and was shocked to see how powerful it is. This game was both entertaining AND educational... if I ever play PvT on Steppes I have to try this in-your-face proxy, it seems completely unbeatable for anyone but the best pros in the world. But of course, the forum posts are nothing but hate.

I loved watching all of these games and was hoping to find excited comments from other people who were also enjoying them, but this thread turned into nothing but a pile of whining and hating (with some exceptions of course). If I wanted to read stuff like this I'd read the comments on games on Youtube. I really wish the mods would get strict again, and deal with this mess.

Well, thank goodness there was at least no balance discussion tonight. And I'd like to thank the minority of TL posters who made reading this thread worthwhile.

Game 2 was just awesome, best PvT game of SC2 to date, this was a great GSL Finals if yo uask me...


I couldn't agree more with what you have said. Personally, I find cheese and aggression to be more exciting to watch.
Oxb
Profile Joined August 2010
199 Posts
December 18 2010 17:29 GMT
#4483
congratz MC, a deserved win and happy you can take the cup home to the oGs house!

First 3 games were great, very dissapointed however in the last 2... cheese, didn't expect that from the player who said 'he will show more interesting games..'. Not interesting at all imo. Than again it's part of the game and MC cleary showed he's the better played in game 1 and 2. Though give it up for Rain on game 3, beautifull!
GG's can't wait for 2011 :-D
D10
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
Brazil3409 Posts
December 18 2010 17:34 GMT
#4484
Worst GSL of all times, only thing that saved it was Jinros impressive run, MC and Rain both looked mediocre to me, and I was feeling like I wanted my money back by the time Rain GGs in game 5
" We are not humans having spiritual experiences. - We are spirits having human experiences." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin
junemermaid
Profile Joined September 2006
United States981 Posts
December 18 2010 17:40 GMT
#4485
On December 19 2010 01:11 lowercase wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 19 2010 01:05 junemermaid wrote:
On December 18 2010 23:02 Markwerf wrote:
On December 18 2010 22:49 SC2Real wrote:
On December 18 2010 22:37 Samus wrote:
The matchup is just broken (PvT)
Terran has to end the game early or they'll lose.
Rain was probably going to lose anyways regardless of his race, Made alot of noobie mistakes.
Pulled off some nice tactics though on certain maps.


you're so wrong..

the problem is that most terran refuse to build up a lategame army.
watch painusers transition into banshee/thor to see some kickass lategame T.



That painuser composition is complete crap and only worked well because his opponents didn't adapt well to it. A properly upgraded gateway army completely stomps it and banshee play is simply not good at all lategame (way to easily countered with HT and/or phoenix). Also the patch is making this even worse by buffing phoenix and observers and nerfing thor repair.

Lategame bio works alright with the proper micro, but I do think battlecruisers need to be restored to their old stats making them a viable lategame transition in PvT. It just doesn't make sense to have BC's still suck so hard while in the only matchup where they would be viable (as in TvZ and TvT they suck even more) their counter gets buffed. Voidray buff vs massive should easily compensate for a slight BC buff vs ground again.


I don't think MMM works as well as people think it does. After a certain point, Terran players need to transition out of it and into a more effective unit composition (I'm not a Terran player so I won't speculate much on what that composition is). The proof is in the results of competitive games. Terran players definitely need to transition into different compositions and adapt to what Protoss players are doing. Blue flame hellions seem to be necessary for Terran to stop zealots / storms late game. It is a cheap, high dps, good splash damage, and easily massable unit that is sparsely seen in PvT games.

The problem with bio is that it is all direct damage & no splash or AoE. What this results in is that other armies have tons of splash mid --> late game (zerg has banelings / ultralisks / infestors; toss has colossi & templars) so that it dumps a ton of damage early in the battle. This has the effect of minimizing MMMs ability to deal out its constant high dps.

Terran need to mix in their own damage dumping units & abilities as well: ghosts, hellions, raven HSM (but that ability kind of sucks after the radius nerf). Terran kind of got the shitty end of the stick when it comes to splash damage. Tanks: yeah they're good, but they are expensive, and its hard NOT to lose them in a confrontation (it has the immortal syndrome where it has a difficult time retreating if a battle goes south & they are priority targets).


MMM is definitely a crutch that terran players have relied on so long, and now it's a hinderance. Protoss was doing shit until players finally stopped doing stalker/colossus every game. Terran players are stuck in MMM and until they can transition from it into something else, their play will be predictable, and therefore counterable.

Problem is... once you've built all those raxes, what do you do with them afterwards?

Edit: Also, wtf are you thinking T has the worst splash damage? Tanks, hellions, HSM, EMP, and thor air splash (the only air splash). P has colossus and HT. Zerg has banes, ultras, mutas, and fungal. T definitely has the best splash, and they have the great perk in that every single unit they have is ranged. I will shut up now, because I don't want to balance bitch.


Yeah, I think I used too many strong words in there. I think my main gripe is that Terran players aren't using the aoe units very effectively. I don't think they have the best splash units in the game. They might have the MOST (which feeds into their versatility), but not the best.

Maybe Terran players shouldn't make so many barracks and SET THEMSELVES UP for the late game. Maybe 3rax / 2factory would be much better than 5-6rax. After the 15 minute mark, those 5-6 raxes aren't very good against a tier 3 protoss army.

It's a complicated situation, so we'll just have to see how the game develops during the GSL tour... But I don't think making tons of bio and forcing a win through that is what we'll be seeing in the near future.
the UMP says YER OUT
aisight
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States145 Posts
December 18 2010 17:49 GMT
#4486
On December 19 2010 02:34 D10 wrote:
Worst GSL of all times, only thing that saved it was Jinros impressive run, MC and Rain both looked mediocre to me, and I was feeling like I wanted my money back by the time Rain GGs in game 5

Excuse me? MC is looking more like the most impressive Protoss around by far. Are you sure you weren't accidentally watching VODs of HongUn vs Rain in the Ro4?
kheldorin
Profile Joined April 2010
Singapore539 Posts
December 18 2010 17:53 GMT
#4487
I don't get why Terrans are whining about balance.Rain didn't lose because his strategy was poor. He lost because his execution wasn't good. TSL really prepared a very good strategy for Rain to execute and in the hands of a better player, those strategies would have resulted in a victory. I really don't see the need to overhaul how Terran is played. Just refine those strategies and execute it better.
floor exercise
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
Canada5847 Posts
December 18 2010 17:58 GMT
#4488
On December 19 2010 02:12 arterian wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 19 2010 01:43 decaf wrote:
It's not the race that wins, it's the player.
If MC was playing Terran and Rain Protoss, Terran would have won. So nerf terran QQ.
The game is almost perfectly balanced. It is unbelievable how balanced this game already is, they did an amazing job. But I think 10 sec build time decrease for phoenixes may be overkill.


The 10 second build time decrease is because currently if you were to watch a Zerg player throw down a Spire and responded immediately by dropping a Stargate, you can only get out 1 Phoenix by the time it finishes at which point he'll start building X amount of Mutas, usually more than 6.


I hate this excuse because you could never match production of Corsairs with the initial wave of Mutas either. What did you do? Baby them around cannons until you had the magic number where the tables completely turned. It became part of the ebb and flow of PvZ, can the Protoss get the right amount of sairs or can the Zerg pick enough off while they are weak so that he can stay on muta?

And that was even going Stargate blind where you couldn't match muta production. SC2 Protoss make the claim that they can't add a stargate after they have scouted lair or spire and then complain they can't match muta numbers off the bat. Even BW players use this excuse, it just doesn't make much sense to me. The only real difference is the sentry cost makes it hard to do some standard Muta defense and add Phoenix, but there's got to be some way to treat it like Corsair vs Muta.

Phoenix could be played in an identical manner. With the right number they are almost as good as Corsairs were when it comes to dealing with Mutas
dekuschrub
Profile Joined May 2008
United States2069 Posts
December 18 2010 18:03 GMT
#4489
On December 19 2010 02:53 kheldorin wrote:
I don't get why Terrans are whining about balance.Rain didn't lose because his strategy was poor. He lost because his execution wasn't good. TSL really prepared a very good strategy for Rain to execute and in the hands of a better player, those strategies would have resulted in a victory. I really don't see the need to overhaul how Terran is played. Just refine those strategies and execute it better.


this. as a terran player I actually liked the series. I can't wait for someone actually good to play terran and start owning face. Rain just didn't play very well, but he had some sweet builds.
Shockk
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Germany2269 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-18 18:03:43
December 18 2010 18:03 GMT
#4490
On December 18 2010 21:04 Chocobo wrote:
I really can't understand the hate here. Everything that isn't a super defensive, take 3 bases and mass up to 200/200 game is called "cheese" and everyone pretends that it wasn't any fun to watch.

Sorry guys, there's 87 thousand dollars on the line and the players are going to choose to use the gameplans that they feel will make them the most likely to win. The purpose of these games is not your entertainment, it's to determine the winner of the tournament.

Rain pulls off a very well executed tank-heavy timing attack in game 1, and MC very skillfully deflects it in a game that everyone on these forums would have lost. I thought it was very exciting, and forum posters are just complaining "one base cheese" and "no skill".

On Xel'naga Caverns, Rain completely throws off his opponent with a clever fake-out, cripples MC with banshees... but holy crap, MC is actually somehow defending it! It's just barely not good enough though, and Rain grabs the win in a game I thoroughly enjoyed. I check the forums and see "lame cheeser" "that's the only way Rain can win".

On Steppes, MC gets scouted while trying to proxy, but just goes for it anyway. I never thought I'd see a game like this at a pro level, and was shocked to see how powerful it is. This game was both entertaining AND educational... if I ever play PvT on Steppes I have to try this in-your-face proxy, it seems completely unbeatable for anyone but the best pros in the world. But of course, the forum posts are nothing but hate.

I loved watching all of these games and was hoping to find excited comments from other people who were also enjoying them, but this thread turned into nothing but a pile of whining and hating (with some exceptions of course). If I wanted to read stuff like this I'd read the comments on games on Youtube. I really wish the mods would get strict again, and deal with this mess.

Well, thank goodness there was at least no balance discussion tonight. And I'd like to thank the minority of TL posters who made reading this thread worthwhile.

Game 2 was just awesome, best PvT game of SC2 to date, this was a great GSL Finals if yo uask me...


Thanks for this post. I'm sick of tired of everything that isn't a 30+ minute macro game being labeled as "all in" or "cheese" here on TL and elsewhere as well.

I enjoyed the finals, the games were exciting to watch. And I certainly wouldn't have wanted to watch 7x30 minutes of gaming + ad breaks.
freetgy
Profile Joined November 2010
1720 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-18 18:06:20
December 18 2010 18:03 GMT
#4491
i just saw, Game 4 and unlike what Artosis says, there is a different Cost efficitient way to deal with proxy gateway. Though nobody (even Pros) don't seem to have realized it yet,i just came across the counter while testing.

maybe i should make a thread about it.
mr_tolkien
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
France8631 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-18 18:07:46
December 18 2010 18:07 GMT
#4492
This results make no sense to me... How has Rain won a single game ? oO

Bancheese ???
The legend of Darien lives on
SmoKim
Profile Joined March 2010
Denmark10305 Posts
December 18 2010 18:09 GMT
#4493
On December 19 2010 03:07 mr_tolkien wrote:
This results make no sense to me... How has Rain won a single game ? oO

Bancheese ???


kinda. cancel 2 rax and tech to cloak banshee
"LOL I have 202 supply right now (3 minutes later)..."LOL NOW I HAVE 220 SUPPLY SUP?!?!?" - Mondragon
Geniuszerg
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Canada454 Posts
December 18 2010 18:16 GMT
#4494
good finals, but man... theres like no emotion by the players in the ceremony
annul
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2841 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-18 18:18:48
December 18 2010 18:18 GMT
#4495
On December 19 2010 03:03 Shockk wrote:
And I certainly wouldn't have wanted to watch 7x30 minutes of gaming + ad breaks.


i would've =\


On December 19 2010 03:16 TheSCII wrote:
good finals, but man... theres like no emotion by the players in the ceremony


with MC's arrogance i was expecting him to pull a firebathero after he won
Craton
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States17303 Posts
December 18 2010 18:19 GMT
#4496
That was 100% what I expected. I'm still angry that Rain ever made it as far as he did.
twitch.tv/cratonz
DrunkeN.
Profile Joined September 2010
United States406 Posts
December 18 2010 18:20 GMT
#4497
another great GSL, cant wait til next year.
0neder
Profile Joined July 2009
United States3733 Posts
December 18 2010 18:26 GMT
#4498
I actually enjoyed seeing MC totally own Rain. I've missed awesome protoss play, and it was just poetic how he out-cheesed Rain to end it!
Klamity
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States994 Posts
December 18 2010 18:31 GMT
#4499
these boring ceremonies totally reinforce the nerd stereotype.

MC smacked rain. wasn't even close. even the game he lost, he clearly looked like the better player.
Don't believe in yourself, believe in me, who believes in you.
eNtitY~
Profile Joined January 2007
United States1293 Posts
December 18 2010 18:33 GMT
#4500
Game 2 was awesome.
http://www.starcraftdream.com
Prev 1 223 224 225 226 227 231 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 30m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 474
BRAT_OK 41
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 31502
Bisu 3131
Shuttle 1836
Hyuk 1074
Mini 625
EffOrt 550
Larva 413
Soma 347
ZerO 242
firebathero 238
[ Show more ]
hero 120
Zeus 118
Sexy 62
Mong 45
Hyun 45
Trap 41
Pusan 35
PianO 31
Killer 30
Bale 30
ToSsGirL 30
Aegong 28
zelot 21
Hm[arnc] 20
sorry 20
Rock 13
Terrorterran 11
Sacsri 10
Noble 10
JulyZerg 9
ajuk12(nOOB) 8
Dota 2
Gorgc8579
qojqva1532
Dendi964
Counter-Strike
fl0m2911
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1397
crisheroes1035
Liquid`Hasu600
Lowko468
Other Games
singsing2079
B2W.Neo1050
Beastyqt580
Mlord290
Hui .230
Livibee204
Liquid`VortiX138
KnowMe113
ArmadaUGS107
Mew2King78
elazer77
CosmosSc2 19
ZerO(Twitch)15
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream50
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• poizon28 58
• StrangeGG 38
• mYiSmile117
• Adnapsc2 16
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 10
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 8010
• WagamamaTV279
League of Legends
• Jankos2008
Other Games
• Shiphtur206
Upcoming Events
FEL
30m
AI Arena Tournament
1h 30m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3h 30m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
18h 30m
INu's Battles
20h 30m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 3h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 3h
Replay Cast
1d 8h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 18h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 19h
[ Show More ]
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.