• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 03:56
CEST 09:56
KST 16:56
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War435.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror TL Sidebar missing streams Bot on ladder Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9012 users

The HotS Protoss Help Me Thread - Page 102

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 100 101 102 103 104 367 Next
Make sure you read the OP before asking a question. Asking a question already addressed in the OP will result in moderation action. Also, please put some effort into your questions. Do not just ask for build orders.
vhapter
Profile Joined May 2010
Brazil677 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-24 09:05:47
May 24 2013 09:04 GMT
#2021
Damn, my PvP sucks big time. I need to work on it...

When are you supposed to cut probe production in PvP? I noticed many protosses I face go way above 16 probes on minerals before even expanding. Is that normal? Isn't expanding before going over 16 probes on minerals or unit production a priority?
To live is to fight, to fight is to live!
Teoita
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Italy12248 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-24 09:13:55
May 24 2013 09:12 GMT
#2022
On May 24 2013 11:30 Nuclease wrote:
Teoita, Sated, etc. This is a direct question to you.

What is YOUR favorite PvP build and why? I'm not just asking for the BO, but also what you think you get out of the build to make it advantageous. Thanks all :D


I like to go 15/15 gas, 3 stalker with my tech before stalkers 2 and 3, and from there i DT expand. I have the map control and unit count to hold off any gateway timings (my dt's come up super fast so all i need to do is buy time), enough stalkers to hold off oracle stuff, some map control to get proxy pylons down, and a reasonably fast nexus. I like to also play safe and get a robo with my Nexus to beat unsafe DT builds. All in all it's a good all-around build, only beaten my a greedy 1gate FE into rob with obs before immortal (which he's quite unlikely to do in a Bo1 on ladder if he sees me poking around with stalkers).

The other build i like to do is the same opening but with stargate instead of twilight, playing a standard WoL phoenix early game. I haven't done much gateway aggression into expo, fast expo or blink/msc so i'm not very comfortable with those styles yet.
ModeratorProtoss all-ins are like a wok. You can throw whatever you want in there and it will turn out alright.
Sated
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
England4983 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-24 12:38:39
May 24 2013 11:44 GMT
#2023
--- Nuked ---
Blaeu
Profile Joined April 2012
United States10 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-25 01:08:59
May 24 2013 19:02 GMT
#2024
I seem to have a very "basic" question, but I'm having a hard time applying it.

I want to gate expand into Stargate and go Voidrays into heavy airtoss play. I'm using Alicia's games from WCS AM vs. NesTea as an example.



For some reason NesTea responded with Spire play both games, going Corruptor/Muta. So, I guess I know how to respond to that. My main issue is if Zerg responds in a different manor, such as Hydra and/or Infestors. I assume HTs with Feedback and Storm would be good against that, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, I'm not sure how to respond when Zerg opens Roach/Hydra and then goes heavy Hydra because of the amount of Void Rays. I've read that you can use Cannons to help defend your third, but that doesn't help me push out and apply pressure. Since Alicia never built a Robo, I'm at a loss.

Is it better to put down a Robo and go Colossus? Or, should I play defensively for a while and tech to Storm?

Edit: After trying a few of these things out, I really do not want to go Colossus if I can help it. I asked Grubby while he was streaming, and he said Colossus was the better choice. However, I would have to add a Robo, Bay, and then pay for the Colossus and range all while having no ground upgrades.

It seems that Colossus would be great for a "standard" game, but if I want to go pure (heavy) air, they just cost too much. I'm thinking Storm would be the preferred AoE to help deal with the Hydras, but I die before I can get there.

Is it possible to survive a 13-15 minute Roach/Hydra push (with heavy Hydra) when you have just Void rays and gateway units? The answer is probably situational, if so, tell me the situation I need to create for myself. I feel good playing this style, and this seems like the last hurdle I need to learn to overcome before I can start to play it out to a macro game.
"We do not stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing." -- George Bernard Shaw
bertu
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
Brazil871 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-25 01:18:12
May 25 2013 01:11 GMT
#2025
In most proleague PvPs, the standard meta in mid-game (after both players sucessfully expanded) is to go double robo Colossus with attack upgrades (as in WOL). I am assuming this is the case because an air-based late game transition can be punished when scouted early.

So, my question is: what is the best way to actually punish this transition? Say it's 11:00-13:00, you are on 2-bases going double robo colossi with a third on the way, and your previous scouting revealed the opponent was doing the same, but than you scout his double stargate with no voidrays yet, or just a few. What is the optimal response?

What I've tried so far is: immediately start blink, templar archives, add gates, cut probes and robo production, warp in pure archons and zealots. Push out when +2 finishes and blink is close, reinforcing with blink stalkers. with no charge. But I am falling short. Is it my micro that sucks? Or should I keep it cool and keep adding lots of HT with storm? Go for phoenix?

I've been going zealot/archon in the push (and just reinforcing with warp-in stalkers after the big battle) because I feel if just go with a couple immortals, 4 or so colossus and all remaining gas in stalkers, it all woud die to immortals+VR, but I could be wrong.

Thanks in advance.
SEKO SEKO SEKO
Poo
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Canada536 Posts
May 25 2013 01:16 GMT
#2026
On May 25 2013 04:02 Blaeu wrote:
I seem to have a very "basic" question, but I'm having a hard time applying it.

I want to gate expand into Stargate and go Voidrays into heavy airtoss play. I'm using Alicia's games from WCS AM vs. NesTea as an example.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDekGK8aVXg

For some reason NesTea responded with Spire play both games, going Corruptor/Muta. So, I guess I know how to respond to that. My main issue is if Zerg responds in a different manor, such as Hydra and/or Infestors. I assume HTs with Feedback and Storm would be good against that, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, I'm not sure how to respond when Zerg opens Roach/Hydra and then goes heavy Hydra because of the amount of Void Rays. I've read that you can use Cannons to help defend your third, but that doesn't help me push out and apply pressure. Since Alicia never built a Robo, I'm at a loss.

Is it better to put down a Robo and go Colossus? Or, should I play defensively for a while and tech to Storm?


vs roach/Hydra try watching CreatorPrime vs Roro ( I believe) on Daybreak from the GSL in April. Using properly positioned force fields and cannons can help defend versus these timings. Following up with a twilight council and HT is pretty essential if you scout and determine a viper timing is on-way with this roach/hydra ball. Otherwise, I don't believe that HT are absolutely necessary. With good micro, your voidrays should be able to win fights pretty convincingly. Also, alicias build is a mass air build - the only transition to colossus that would be planned is in the scenario you're playing versus swarmhost. Nestea played corruptor/muta in the game you linked - so no robo was made.

Lastly, when you play versus roach/hydra or just hydra builds in general, whether or not you're actually aggressive with your VRs is heavily dependent on the map. More airspace to roam and run from hydra = less chance VRs are going to die; so you can be more aggressive.




Try hard or don't try at all.
Bahajinbo
Profile Joined May 2012
Germany488 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-25 11:17:03
May 25 2013 11:11 GMT
#2027
Hi, low master protoss here.
Like in WoL I struggle a lot with my PvP. I'm somehow starting to like to do 3 stalker rushes into 3 gate pressure & robo after seeing that on Welmu's stream multiple times. And damn, that guy is awesome in PvP!
I mean, against DTs you are pretty safe and against greedy play you can do a lot of damage if the timing is correct.

But my question: If you don't manage to do major damage, when do you usually throw your own expansion? Are you far behind if you don't do much damage with your 3 gate pressure?

@Blaeu:
To be honest, this strategy only works insanely good on Whirlwind. Hydra timings are far too good against heavy voidray play, especially on maps like Bel'Shir and Daybreak. But if you manage to get early colossi with your void rays (I don't have a build order for that style, sorry) - you can hold these hydra pushes for sure.
By the way, I also recommend Bisu vs rOrO on Whirlwind for this style:
Prakas
Profile Joined June 2011
United States30 Posts
May 25 2013 12:27 GMT
#2028
How did you adapt to putting your MSC in a control group since HoTS release? I have played just over 50 games in HoTS and I'm still struggling to adjust.

I'm VERY use to having my main army in control group 1, and being able to quickly forcefield/guardian shield when needed. However, since the MSC was introduced, I have to tab then f for forcefield causing a small delay and at times, confusion depending on the situation. It also gets complicated when I add a few HTs to the mix.

I'm torn between 2 choices, keeping MSC in control group 1 with my main army, or keep it in control group 5 or 6 and control it separately. So far, I'm finding it to be more comfortable keeping my old setup and having MSC in a control group by itself. If you have a different setup that works or any input, it'd be greatly appreciated
Teoita
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Italy12248 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-25 12:31:11
May 25 2013 12:30 GMT
#2029
I keep it on 3 and moved my observer scout to y.
I use 1/2 for my main army, ` for prisms and eventual flanks, 4 for nexi, 5 for robo, 6 for stargate, w for warpgates.
ModeratorProtoss all-ins are like a wok. You can throw whatever you want in there and it will turn out alright.
Sated
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
England4983 Posts
May 25 2013 12:55 GMT
#2030
--- Nuked ---
CaM27
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Belgium392 Posts
May 25 2013 13:34 GMT
#2031
Can anyone link me to the 3gates builds that rushes to 5stalkersmsc poke at opponent's base? =(

User was warned for this post
Sox03
Profile Blog Joined April 2013
Germany55 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-25 14:58:21
May 25 2013 14:57 GMT
#2032
I have my MSC on control group 9 and not included, as soon as i want to not only be aggressive with it, i add it to control group 1 (my main army). I have everything in one group and then seperately though, so 1 is basically everything except phoenixes and some obs. I have 4 templar on 3, i dont hotkey the other ones, sentries on 2.
I've only met few people with a similar set up but i'm just used to it (to note i send my templars back when i move my main army when i engage i guess its the same as moving both completely seperate).
Prakas
Profile Joined June 2011
United States30 Posts
May 25 2013 15:07 GMT
#2033
Thanks - Seems like the general consensus is to keep it on a different control group. I'm going to try to and adjust and keep it in #6.
aznheat80
Profile Joined August 2010
United States186 Posts
May 25 2013 15:15 GMT
#2034
On May 25 2013 22:34 CaM27 wrote:
Can anyone link me to the 3gates builds that rushes to 5stalkersmsc poke at opponent's base? =(

User was warned for this post


The build I use for this rush is as follows:

9 pylon
13 gate
15/15 assimilators ( 2 probes on each gas geyser)
16 pylon
17 cyber core
19 gate
stalker
23 pylon
Cut probes at 24/26, make two additional stalkers
30 Msc --> send to opponent base
then stalker,stalker to get to 34/34 supply

This leads to 8 stalkers at around 6:30(estimate) at the opponents base.
SteveNick
Profile Joined November 2008
United States304 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-25 15:41:15
May 25 2013 15:40 GMT
#2035
On May 25 2013 21:30 Teoita wrote:
I keep it on 3 and moved my observer scout to y.
I use 1/2 for my main army, ` for prisms and eventual flanks, 4 for nexi, 5 for robo, 6 for stargate, w for warpgates.


Q is a good control group key too if you're looking to stay LHO(which you probably should).
It's all fun and games until somebody gets 4gated.
vhapter
Profile Joined May 2010
Brazil677 Posts
May 25 2013 21:20 GMT
#2036
On May 08 2013 03:10 vhapter wrote:
*Idea for PvT and PvZ ctrl groups*

I guess this isn't as efficient as having your HT follow different colossi when it comes to avoiding emps, but what I do is all gateway units in group 1, colossi in group 2, templar + msc in group 3. This way I can go 1a 2a 3 right click behind my army. My msc is safe and my templar won't suicide though they do form a cluster if I don't spread them afterwards. When the terran starts kiting, my colossi can easily move forward to get a few hits on bio units while I retreat temporarily with my gateway units, which makes it very tempting for him to come back and then I can hit them with everything, including storms. Since sentries are in 1 and there is no msc or templar in this group, I can easily press g for guardian shield. And against vikings, I have my stalkers in Q too (yay custom hotkeys) in order to blink them all swiftly. Not only that, I also use Alt and Caps Lock as unit hokteys as well... in PvZ, I've recently started using Caps Lock for phoenixes and Alt for my warp prism, though I used to hotkey pylons and my warp prism in caps lock. But I guess having phoenixes in a special hotkey against mutas is a must, because if they strike and your groups are messed up, you're probably dead.

^ I do this with my MSC and hotkeys in general.
To live is to fight, to fight is to live!
Blaeu
Profile Joined April 2012
United States10 Posts
May 25 2013 21:31 GMT
#2037
I think custom hotkeys are really the way to go. I remapped 9 to ` (tilde) and I always bind my MSC to that. I will still often put it on follow so it doesn't run up and die, but I like it on its own hotkey. I really should remap 0 as well, but I usually put my forward Obs on it and I don't mind having it on 0.
"We do not stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing." -- George Bernard Shaw
Kovaz
Profile Joined October 2010
Canada233 Posts
May 26 2013 04:30 GMT
#2038
So I'm having trouble with scouting zergs lately. I don't really know what to look for. Most games, I'll scout a fast gas and no fast third, but beyond that point I'm having trouble distinguishing between builds that take gas. I can never tell if it's going to be double-ups ling, 2base hydra, 2base muta, or some kind of cheese. I usually open stargate and once I've seen all his tech buildings I'm fine, but I'd like to be able to tell what build he's going for off of less information.

I have a similar issue in PvP. I'm not really sure what gas timings should be leading into which builds, so I've had a lot of games where I just die to a build I assumed wouldn't happen. Mostly DTs.

So I guess the overall question is what am I looking for when I scout in those matchups, and what can I read based on the timing of the third in PvZ, the first few units produced in PvP, and gas timings in both?
S7EFEN
Profile Joined November 2012
86 Posts
May 26 2013 07:00 GMT
#2039
Not sure how to effectively deal with DT mirrors when going for a DT expand. I heard mention of a 'safe' DT build that gets the robo before DTs hit but when should I drop that down in relation to my shrine/nexus/extra gates?

Also, kinda odd question - why are observers built out of the robotics? Toss is the only race where they need a certain tech path to get detection.
dasfewfawdx
Profile Joined November 2012
17 Posts
May 26 2013 07:17 GMT
#2040
PvP:
What's the "proper" way to defend against a proxy one gate given:
1) You don't scout it before his first zealot comes into your base
2) You do scout it with a gateway scout

I've tend to switch my opening to variations off a proxy one gate (ie 1 gate FE, three gate pressure, etc) and I've seen a variety of responses, the majority of which end in a four gate robo of some sort (mid masters). Despite their initial reaction, whether it be chronoing off one gateway or throwing down fast two gateway while cutting probes, none of the reactions seem particularly effective, as I've usually come out ahead in both probes (I chrono three+ times before cyber), tech (faster WG), and even faster expansions. Any thoughts on how to optimally counter a proxy one gate?
THE TIME FOR CHILLING IS PAST - Destiny
Prev 1 100 101 102 103 104 367 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 4m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Free 1379
BeSt 305
Soulkey 204
Soma 188
sorry 122
Mind 71
Bale 26
ajuk12(nOOB) 15
ZergMaN 14
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm184
League of Legends
JimRising 616
Counter-Strike
edward214
Other Games
summit1g9039
Coldzera 698
WinterStarcraft670
C9.Mang0251
Sick216
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick712
BasetradeTV188
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 6
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2200
Upcoming Events
Big Brain Bouts
2h 4m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
Online Event
4h 4m
AI Arena Tournament
9h 4m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
11h 4m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 2h
Patches Events
1d 7h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 11h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 11h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.